Start date June 1

Elissa W

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you ladies buy your Avocado Oil? I don't mind the price, but can't find it in my locally-owned health food stores...

Hi Vozelle,

I get mine at Costco.  I can't remember how much it was, but it's a big bottle and has lasted quite a while. (If you have a dog, and sometimes feed them table scraps, don't forget that avocado is toxic for them...)

Yay for Day 29.

I can't believe there's only one day to go. But no way am I stopping. I feel great and the weight loss is noticeable. We're going away for the 4th but I plan to be as compliant as I can. I really would like an icy cold beer! It's been great reading everyone's posts. We are all fabulous. This whole experience has been so rewarding. I have suffered no ill effects and can only remain positive. I'm now a zealot for Whole30 and share what I'm doing with whoever asks and even some that don't. I've leaned to eat a whole new way and a healthy one at that. I've never cooked so much in my life (although my husband says I used to). I still have so many things I want to try as I find I have no problem eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch. Dinners are the best on weekends and when I take a day off. I'm not that into spices or less mainstream veggies but I've managed to do this and it hasn't been a burden at all. Prep work is essential but since my stove blew up last week (over use I'm sure) I've had to grill or microwave. Not bad options, especially grilled veggies. I can't believe I'm writing those words. Not sure what tiger blood is but if it means a major influx of energy I've been bitten. I'm not sure what the outcome was on changing the name of this thread so if some are on to July for another Whole30 good luck. Anyone staying here hope to see you when I check in periodically and hope to see people posting! Have a great summer .

One more day! Woot we did it! Congrats to all of you and thank you for being part of my journey :)

My NSVs:

No more red irritated eyelashes lol (this was really bugging me - it was not becoming ;)

Cravings reeled in (before W30 I was eating bad food continuously)

Down a size - stuff is fitting again

Sleeping thru the night!!

Fingernails growing like crazy!

Cooking up some really mean meals and trying new products! (I love making my own mayo now)

And maybe the best victory of all, I can share with others... If I can do this, SO CAN YOU! Today I stopped into a shoe store to get fitted for some "good shoes" During my W30 the one thing that seems to be noticeably worse is my swollen ankles. Since I am eating better, they should have improved. Which leads me to believe there is a problem beyond my diet. Years of being a 250 pound woman on my poor feet. I was expressing some of this and sharing how my years of poor eating got me here (in a store trying ortho-like shoes) to the woman in the store and she said "you're describing ME!" Before I left she was planning to purchase the W30 book and gave me a hug. She said "having you here today has motivated me to do something!" Wow, I felt incredibly good and I was able to share because I WAS DOING IT!

I'm going to proceed cautiously and revisit often. I still have a ways to go... Like 80 pounds to lose. But this time I feel like I'm addressing from the inside out. Heck, sleeping thru the night is a HUGE step in the right direction to better health. I have learned a lot this month. There are so many things we eat that are making us fat and unhealthy... there are foods we should give up! Or it will ALWAYS be a struggle to stay healthy (thin)!

Celebrate your wins everyone!

Okay everyone, it's up...I hope this doesn't make me class president or something, but I started a new topic under reintroductions as someone suggested earlier for us to regroup under starting July 1. 

I linked in this topic for historical record or something and I do think we should continue to post here through tomorrow and then move over starting in July, but feel free to post whenever to say your are in.  Will kind of miss Elissa...our former hostess who may have no idea what she got started.  LOL!  Unless she is still with us anonymously that is.

No matter what your plans are once your Whole30 is complete, we would love to have you join us to keep sharing and encouraging each other!!!

Here is the link to the new topic, though shouldn't be hard to find with me waving like mad in welcome.  :D

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28929-612015-riding-our-own-bikes-together/

Thanks Susie you have a great summer also

Make sure to do a proper reinto post W30 go slow roll you don't want to be sick adding too much too soon

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for your help and support  MeGA"gardener"

Okay everyone, it's up...I hope this doesn't make me class president or something, but I started a new topic under reintroductions as someone suggested earlier for us to regroup under starting July 1. 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28929-612015-riding-our-own-bikes-together/

Thank you for doing this... I will go "check in" now, and then switch to posting there on July 1st. I guess that's where we'll do our Day 31 reports! (BTW, I would totally vote for you for class president, Crimsann!) 

Congrats everyone, and good luck staying OFF the scale tomorrow (I know it is tempting for some)! And remember come Day 31 when you climb on that thing, the number on the scale does NOT tell you anything about your body composition... if your weight has not changed much, but your clothes fit better and people are commenting on how good you look, you can bet your ass that you have LOST fat weight, and GAINED muscle weight, which is GREAT for your metabolism and will help you keep losing fat in the future (because lean muscle tissue burns lots of calories).

It's Day 30 and I really really wanted to be in a far more positive state of mind...but I tried on my fat shorts today hoping that maybe, just maybe, my body composition changed enough to fit into them again. Nope, not even close. Which means I get to continue hiding out in my extra fat clothes :(

I'm trying really hard to shake this off but I'm so incredibly frustrated. While I know that the dietary changes and committing to hard work in the gym is great for me, my progress is so minimal. Feeling great for 3 weeks only to feel like cr@p for the last week or so is defeating. (I'm not going off the Whole30, or, if I do, it will be verrrrry slowly nor am I slowly down my exercise routine). I'm so happy to see that so many of you have had such amazing progress and feel as amazing as you do!

I know, in all likelihood, my situation is difficult because of underlying health issues. I've been convinced there's a thyroid problem since as early as last summer when I had rapid weight gain despite no major diet changes & doing light work outs every week. But I cannot get any doctors to take me seriously. That's one of the main reasons I'm doing blood work tomorrow morning because I want to see if anything changed (good or bad).

@WholeSue: I can relate. I've had ups and downs for this whole month - feel good some days, feel not so good other days. I have a blood draw this week, and I'm hoping it shows some results. Some of my pants and capris feel a "little" looser in the thighs, but the waist on the shorts - no change to report. One thing I stumbled across on another thread (or maybe it was here - don't remember) is that the time of day you eat your starchy carbs can have an influence on energy levels, and some people function better by eating them in the morning, and others by eating them in the evening. I think I'm going to experiment with that and see if one or the other seems better for me. 

Yes - I'm in to switch to the new thread come Day 31. This Whole30 has definitely been a learning curve for DH and I. We will see how re-intro goes.  ;)

Good job on hanging in there and getting to 30, everyone!

Regarding Avocado Oil...I think someone mentioned it in this thread again.

I get my Avocado Oil from Whole Foods - there has only been one option available and it costs $12.99. That said you can order it online for a bit cheaper at places like Thrive - this is the exact oil I've used for all of my mayo-based dressings. I *love* it.

This shouldn't be possible, but I may have identified coconut flour as a FWOB for myself!

Okay, totally kidding, but I had gotten some to try out a recipe for Coconut Shrimp (http://whole30.com/2014/10/best-whole30-recipes-no-forks/) and when I opened the bag and took a whiff I had a ridiculous urge to grab a spoon.  That stuff smells amazing!  Why would anyone bake with wheat flour?!  I'm really interested in finding some other ways to use it.  The shrimp ended up a bit of a disaster since I read another similar recipe that talked about baking them instead of frying them and I went that route.  The shrimp cooked far faster than the breading so the result was not tasty/crispy/coconutty wonderful.  I will try again, meekly following the recipe this time...  

Twelve hours to go before the confetti shower, no matter what you decide to do from here, you own that celebration! 

Just saw WholeSue's comment on avocado oil and want to chime in...that is the brand I have as well and I found it at Target though it may be a bit pricier there than other places.  I need to check out this Thrive Market!!!

Every single one of us are just simple awesome!!!

WAY TO GO GUYS!

I will continue on probably with a slow reintroduction of sorts or maybe a whole 45-60. Guess I probably should decide... Lol.

Any-who I will slide over to the other thread come the 1st.

Just prepared my last official meal for Whole30...and then packed the leftovers for my lunch tomorrow :)

It's been a really educational 30 days and I feel stronger and equipped with lots of new skills/insight. And you all definitely made it better - so thank you!

See you tomorrow in the new post!

Well, Day 30 is just whizzing by. Feels good! I'm so proud of us! Happy to announce that I've spent much of today in the Tiger Blood zone again. I can't get over it, what a gift! I have to say, if this is what it's SUPPOSED to feel like to be alive, then I sure as hell wish I'd discovered it SOONER!! (But hey, better late than never!)

*** I know we're not all in the same place here at the finish line *** ... so I wanted to send some encouragement out to those struggling, feeling uncertain if this is "working", or haven't noticed "enough" changes yet: STAY STRONG and keep moving forward, your body has no other choice but to respond positively to good, healthy, whole FOOD. Maybe turn this into a Whole45 or Whole60 or beyond?, making sure you scour the Whole30 books and web site for all the help you can possibly get! Keep reading posts from others who have similar symptoms or experiences and see what they have learned. Read the Troubleshooting section of the Whole30 book. Consider FODMAP issues, Autoimmune Protocol, hire a functional medicine practitioner to guide you, etc. I also highly recommend reading "The Paleo Cure" by Chris Kresser. It's so important for us ALL to remember that 30 Days of healthy eating is a just drop in the bucket compared to years of poor eating, stressful living and/or chronic disease. PLEASE please give yourself more time!! The body is SO wise, and so good at healing, IF we give it enough time and the right support... but it CAN take a bit o' TIME...

I feel too good to quit, and I still have lingering issues to work through, so I'll be right here with y'all (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28929-612015-riding-our-own-bikes-together/), keepin' on and keepin' strong... : )

Hi team!   I hope it’s okay that I’m calling you team – I’ve thought of you all throughout this month as my “June Whole 30 team” and I have found comfort, strength, support, and encouragement from visiting this forum daily for this entire month even when I didn’t post myself.  I am grateful for the suggestions, kind words, smiles, and advice everyone has posted and shared on here.  I am grateful, too, for the honesty and the empathy when things haven’t been as “magical” or positive as we always wish they would be, whole 30 or not. 

Life is so hard and it is such a beautiful thing to find a forum that promotes positivity and lifting other people up – perfect strangers at that! – to make them recognize and feel their own true potential.  I am so proud of you all, so proud of myself (dare I say it?!) for getting here, especially when I think back to day 3 or 4 when it seemed so far away and like such a high hill to climb.  The view from the top is beautiful, as it always is with any struggle in this life.  I’m thankful to have reached the top with you all and don’t see it as a stopping point, but as a tipping point to what’s next – perhaps something even better.  I’ve always been a strong believer and have reminded myself of it in my most desperate times that the best is truly yet to come.  I hope you all hold onto that hope in your darkest times, too, and even if you feel alone in your journey – be it your health journey, your nutrition journey, your fitness journey, or your overall life’s journey -know there is someone cheering you on from far away! J  Ever forward!

Hi Friends!!

Trip to Orlando was fun - lots of temptations but I stayed the course. Feeling good with the exception of all the sand flea bites on me feet and arms. The nasty little buggers treated my like their personal buffet! Almost 200 bites on my feet alone!

Spent last evening doing a bit of prep (not stopping now!) here is what I made (only took about an hour):

• clarified butter
  • hardboiled eggs
  • turkey burgers
  • mayonnaise
  • balsamic reduction
  • salad dressing

Yes, I will be joining everyone on the new thread: http://forum.whole9l...bikes-together/. Many thanks Ms. Crimsann for firing that up!!

How about this for an NSV, hubby complied with the meals all month and I give him a lot of credit for that. What he did not give up was beer and bourbon. That not withstanding, he actually said the following:

"You know, I feel pretty good after eating this way all month. You might be on to something with the Whole30 thing." 

I told him I was glad because that is how I plan to shop, cook and eat going forward, with just dropping in treats when they are worth it.

My only Whole30 regret is not getting more exercise this month. That's ok, I can do better going forward.

Congratulations to all my new Friends here - you are a great bunch of folks!!

The things that get washed the most in my kitchen - cutting board and knife - which I think needs to be sharpened after this month!

I am a little sad that I did not see many NSV or lost much weight. I lost 5lbs and my mom lost 21lbs! I have some mixed feelings about this program. I would like to try it again next month. Any suggestions to ensure more results?

Archived