Start date June 1

Elissa W

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning, June 1-ers!

Last night a few hours after dinner, my stomach was rumbling. Didn't bother me during the night, though.

This morning I had to delay breakfast due to a blood test, but ate quickly afterwards. It's still going to be a problem to eat within an hour of waking but I'll get as close to it as I can when I'm working.

Today's food (at work)

M1: 3 hardboiled eggs, almond butter, mini sweet peppers

M2: big salad with white balsamic and EVOO, grilled chicken, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

M3: Going to pick up some salmon.

Per the advice here, I'll try to save fruit for after dinner. I'm confused about some of the information, though, about fruit. "Occasionally add a serving of fruit." Not sure how that translates.

Have a successful day, everyone.

Well....yesterday was pretty un-impressive.

I got up at 3:30 AM and because I was tired started snacking in the late morning...after a good egg breakfast so I was certainly not hungry...almond butter and apples and raisins...lots. So I wasn't really hungry at lunch, but had some green salad, more afternoon munching, not really hungry at dinner and ended the day with a somewhat overfull and upset tummy.

100% my fault. I KNOW snacking throws me for a loop. I think some people really feel good grazing a bit during the day, but it doesn't work for me, is a trigger for cravings, makes good food not sound tasty, and makes me tired and lethargic....But I guess if we humans were entirely logical in our choices we wouldn't be needing programs like the W30!

So today, the plan:

Not eating breakfast because I STILL feel overfull (I ain't kidding on the amount of almond butter and apples....)

Lunch = deconstructed burger salad

Dinner = compliant chicken sausage with roasted cauliflower

Oh, and in response to MeGa gardener's good advice, I am sending the box of cookies that came home with the kids last night to share around at school for a snack :) I have no problem whatsoever with cravings or bad food in the morning, when I'm well caffeinated (and I'm an extreme morning person) but by this evening I know it will take more willpower than I have to stay out of them.

Several of you folks mentioned being the only one in your house doing W30....That's me too. I do find that cooking the "animal protein + fat + veggies + seasonings" and then adding a side of rice, dinner rolls, pasta, whatever, works well. Then I'm not making separate meals because I COOK ENOUGH as it is :)

• Administrators

Per the advice here, I'll try to save fruit for after dinner. I'm confused about some of the information, though, about fruit. "Occasionally add a serving of fruit." Not sure how that translates.

If you choose to eat fruit during your Whole30 (it's optional, not required), the recommendation is no more than 1-2 fist sized servings per day, always with a main meal. We recommend you eat a full meal of protein, veggies and fat (per the template linked below) first and only then if you still want fruit, should you have it. Fruit alone is not recommended as it messes with your blood sugar and can keep a sugar dragon alive and well.

If you choose to eat fruit during your Whole30 (it's optional, not required), the recommendation is no more than 1-2 fist sized servings per day, always with a main meal. We recommend you eat a full meal of protein, veggies and fat (per the template linked below) first and only then if you still want fruit, should you have it. Fruit alone is not recommended as it messes with your blood sugar and can keep a sugar dragon alive and well.

Hi ladyshanny, I just wanted to mention that I think it's definitely true that fruit alone can be problematic for people who are experiencing sugar cravings, recent research suggests that whole fruit does not have an adverse effect on blood sugar levels, even in Type 2 diabetics. I think if a person is not struggling with using fruit to feed a sugar dragon, they should not be scared to eat it out of concern for elevated blood sugar.

Here's one study: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12/1/29

And I know Nutrition published a larger review in 2010, I just didn't find the cite as quickly as the above.  ;)

sourpuss.jpg

Okay, no, my Day 2 is actually going pretty well...but for some twisted reason this just makes me smile every time I see it.  Didn't so much love your food at some point so far?  Well, this was my face after my first attempt at homemade mayo.  I will be tackling that again this weekend, tips welcomed!!!  

I survived the forgotten lunch yesterday and on my foraging trip I found a veggie juice that will certainly not be a daily thing (I know juice is frowned on as less optimal and I totally get why) but it was an awesome emergency way to consume kale in a form I can't see myself ever craving.  I found some hard boiled eggs on the grocery salad bar but wasn't sure enough about their chicken to go that route.  I made up for it by having a larger serving of fatty protein (burger topped with guac) at Meal 4 when I got home and ended the day feeling fine.  

I woke up this morning earlier than I would have preferred, I mean I started this whole thing primarly because of how sluggish I am in the mornings but I hadn't anticipated being THAT much of a morning person.  I need to meet with my internal clock and come to some kind of compromise.  Five minutes before the alarm clock sounds perfect...thirty minutes made me grouse but there was no denying I was wide awake and my first thought was "Let's have some green beans for breakfast".  Bizarre.  I think I have the most devious subconcious ever and it's working on convincing me I'm cured so no need to keep this up!  

No worries.  I'm NOT buying it.  But I did add some left over green beans to the pan while frying my eggs.  

I'm making it a mini goal to try and touch base with this topic every day through June and check in personally if I can.  I look forward to recognizing some faces!   

I'm not having any fruit during my Whole30 (even though I usually love it). I don't digest fruit well if I eat it together with other stuff. No problems when I have it on its own, e.g. in the morning, but since I'm not supposed to have fruit as a "meal" per Whole30 rules, I guess I'll just leave it out completely for the time being.

The delicious watermelon will wait for me... ;)

Headache is minimal compared to the past couple of days but it's definitely still there. It's nothing compared to the fatigue I'm feeling this morning though. I'm confident the fatigue is from doing a HIIT workout (Orange Theory) last night and not getting enough sleep to recover from it. An early bedtime is already calling my name for this evening. I'm daydreaming about crawling into my bed!

Hey all - how is day 2 going? Yesterday wasn't bad except that what is very clear to me is that work totally interferes with my ability to eat on a schedule. And this has been a challenge for me for some time. For example, I'll get in the office and end up in back-to-back meetings until the middle of the afternoon. This started to happen to me yesterday and around 1pm I started to feel lightheaded so I excused myself so that I could at least get my meal to eat through the meeting. (Didn't even get to warm it up...). Now that I know this, I'm going to have be more regimented about preparing time for eating. In fact, I had to think about it today because I'm going to work out with a personal trainer after work at about 6:30, which means I won't get home until after 8pm and, had I waited, wouldn't eat dinner until somewhere between 8:30 and 9pm. So I made sure to pack up leftovers and I have them warming up slowly in my mini-crock pot at my desk to eat dinner at 5pm later.

I gotta say, doing all the prep is tough for me. I'm so used to running out to grab a salad whenever the time is available to me and not having to think about my meals in advance.

Other than that, food is great - I'm following meals from the Whole30 book for lunch/dinners for now and mainly eating eggs in some combination with veggies and avocado for breakfast right. I'm going to have to get creative there quickly though. I haven't had any fruit but then again I'm not someone that typically reaches for fruit that often. 

Curious to see how working out affects me later! I have an achilles tendon injury so it will be a modified work out but I want to keep progress going.

Hey everyone! Yesterday was my first day too! It started off fine, but by the time I went to bed I was so nauseous I could hardly stand it. I don't think I ate enough yesterday though. I'm used to doing 5 small meals a day, so it's a bit of an adjustment going to 3 larger meals. I'm feeling okay today though, but a little low on energy. I guess that's normal though.

I see several people have chicken apple sausage for breakfast. I haven't been able to find any that doesn't have added sugar. Is there any particular brand that you guys buy?

They can eat what you make or starve.  Or have a bowl of cereal  (:

EXACTLY! They did try my zoodles last night and then had pasta instead ahaha I however am in love with zoodles. I am having them for lunch. 

Day two: I am so overwhelmingly OPTIMISTIC! It may all be in my head but I already feel better. Maybe its because I am proud of my food decisions? I look forward to trying new veggies and recipes. I am posting pics of my amazing meals instead of eating from a drive through and feeling super gross. I really hope every day feels like today!

How is everyone else doing?

Huge headache here too. :/ But I suppose that's probably more to do with the fact that I'm also drastically reducing my caffeine intake (plus weird, migraine-y weather). 

On the bright side, I do love my food so far. And I'm soooo into eggs in the morning. I don't understand how anyone could not want to have eggs for breakfast. I'm eating all the eggs and love it. (I guess some Whole30 veterans are thinking right now: "just you wait, let's talk again about this on day 30" hahaha :D )

Well, this was my face after my first attempt at homemade mayo.  I will be tackling that again this weekend, tips welcomed!!!  

Hi Crimsann!  I have made at least 10 batches of mayo so far and each one has come out perfectly.  I use an immersion (stick) blender.  It appears to be fail-proof, and it takes less than a minute with no slow drizzle.  Yay!  Just put together all of the ingredients your recipe calls for and pop the blender in.  Once it begins to emulsify, start gently moving the blender up and down the container to make sure all of your oil incorporates.  Make absolutely certain that your egg and whatever acid you are using are at room temperature.  I leave  mine out for at least a couple of hours.  You can also put the egg and acid together in your container for a while before you mix.  Good luck, once you get the knack you'll make it all the time   :)

I see several people have chicken apple sausage for breakfast. I haven't been able to find any that doesn't have added sugar. Is there any particular brand that you guys buy?

Hi crystal83, I can't remember the brand of the one I bought, but I got it at BJ's warehouse club.  It's organic and has a green and white label.  I also read that costco has a good one too.  Hope that helps  :)

Archived