Start date June 1

Elissa W

Hmm I'll have to look in the fridge at the chicken sausage I have and see if it's compliant - 

I now have the headache everyone is talking about. Yuck. I thought it was maybe from a stressful day, but I don't usually get headaches from that. And work is definitely making it harder - yet, being away from the fridge is probably a good thing. I had to cram my salad with grilled chicken and cold half sweet potato into my mouth while in a meeting and it was frustrating to me. That won't be the case every day but it wasn't good for Day 2. 

I was starving when I got home so I made a cup of decaf tea but had to have something in my stomach - so I had one slice of apple with a good TB of almond butter on it. I find the concept of nut butter as a fat only confusing, bc there is protein in it. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

M3 is salmon very simply poached in the microwave (makes it so tender even though it sounds terrible - I like it better than grilling which dries it out), cauliflower mashed with EVOO which has been a favorite for years, and a big salad. And maybe a piece of fruit. 

I'm impressed with those of you who are working out - I need to focus on the food - working out during the week is a challenge bc of work, and my preferred workouts at the gym require a change of clothes and produce a lot of sweat. I'm making sure to get in at least 7000 steps if not more, which I can do at work. I work in a very large building!

This is hard. 

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Make absolutely certain that your egg and whatever acid you are using are at room temperature.  

I never do. ;) Egg and acid from the fridge, oil from the cupboard, add immersion blender + 20 seconds of blending time and it comes out perfect every time!  I love not having to worry about remembering to take out the egg/acid!  

Day 4 in the books.  

Had planned fish/lettuce-wrap tacos for dinner, but ended up in the ED for the day due to some abnormal test results.  All fine now  :) but no time to cook today.

I'm SO glad I had emergency food in the freezer.  I'm a bit overwhelmed and really tired from the day ... without the pre-cooked food, I probably would have called it quits and grabbed take-out for dinner.

I did some quick prep for work tomorrow ... got to love easy sweet potatoes and hard-boiled eggs in a pinch!

This time around feels more relaxed since I have learned how to grocery shop, prep etc.  Last time it felt like I was chained to the kitchen in the beginning.  Between cooking and dishes ... ugh!  So if you are feeling that way ... it gets better!!

I'm starting June 3rd so I will be a couple of days behind you all...

I've been Paleo since the end of 2012 and have experimented with AIP and SCD but these past few months I find myself sneaking in fake creamer, Cheetos, and beer every once in awhile and my health is still struggling. I'm able to work out now and I feel much better but my joints, fatigue, skin issues, and mood just won't go away. I'm going to do the Whole30 and attempt to find my triggers. I WILL keep these triggers out and heal my gut! I'm currently allergic and/or sensitive to wheat, soy, corn, beans, coconut, eggs, and potatoes...among those that I'm not sure of (like dairy!). Here's to lots of support! Good luck everyone!!

Sakigemcam

Hi

This shouldn't be hard

Some find it easy

Sorry about the headache

It too will pass drink lots of water stay hydrated

M1 breakfast should be Palmsized Protien or two!

With starchy veg or carb and added fat

Nut butter is fat but can become food without brakes for me.

M2 neededs fat homemade mayo or something like bacon olives too will keep you Satied until 4/5 hrs or nuts decorating the salad

You may have been starving but your hormones will rebalance soon

M 3 is nice add a carb and fruit if you'd like and clarified butter or fat to your veggies

I made the cauliflower cilantro lime "rice" for the first time today. (This is my second W30). It was good with a chicken breast that was made in the slow cooker with salsa verde. Question for anyone who's made it before: The whole house reeked after the cauliflower was broken up in the food processer. And even though it was double bagged in the fridge, it still smelled very strong. Is that common?

Also, I get a compliant chicken-apple sausage at TJ's...but read the label--there is more than one variety and not all are compliant.

My husband and I started yesterday. We decided to do this because we want to see if we are sensitive to certain foods. My arthritis in my hands has been acting up more than usual and he's been having some abdominal problems. We're pretty healthy and active. I'm worried about what kind of snacks to take when we bicycle distances. I usually make some type of granola/power bars to take, but grains are completely out of this. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! and good luck to all of us for whatever reason we're doing the  whole 30! :D

Hi guys! Just noticed there are a couple different June groups going so I wanted to stop in here and say hi :). I really like Applegate chicken apple sausage. Nice and convenient for those days I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

Hi all :)!!

This is my first Whole30 adventure!! I started yesterday but messed up and ate a piece of cheese so I started over again today.  So today is my official start date.  Here are today's meals:

B- 3 egg muffins I made from a Whole 30 compliant recipe (eggs, spinach, salsa in each individual muffin) with some Frank's Red Hot Sauce

L- 3 cups of butter lettuce with tomatoes, basic vinaigrette, grilled chicken breast and a very small sweet potato; a small amount of avocado in the salad as well; some grapes and a hard boiled egg

Snack - I was so hungry---- I had a Larabar and now I realize I probably shouldn't eat a larabar by itself unless I've worked out right beforehand...won't do that again

D- Hasn't happened yet but it will be two small beef burgers and a big salad with tomatoes and vinegar and oil most likely   

I'm struggling to know if I'm eating right or enough or too much....any tips??

Yes JMT

I'd think you may be hungry firstly

Because there's not enough Protien in M1

Those spinach muffins are delish but you need more eggs. how many you hold on one hand should be your breakfast eggs Portion

Add compliant fat it'll satiate you

M2 have fat olive oil and or more Avacado too

You can have a whole one!

M3 you'll need carbs starchy veg or yam and cooked greens or raw kale salad broccoli pea pods etc

Sounds like you're ok

Hi all,

I started yesterday (June 2nd). Mushroom Omlette for Breakfast, Yellow Coconut fish curry with asian veges for lunch and Roast Chicken dinner loads of veges and a spoonful of Sauerkraut on the side and it was so delicious. Had Bacon, Egg, Tomato, Mushroom, Rocket and Avocado for breakfast and I have leftover roast chicken lined up for lunch. I am loving eating this way, it is so much more interesting than a sandwich for lunch :D

Yesterday morning I cleared out the pantry and only left whole 30 approved foods in there - it was quite bare when I finished, lol

I woke this morning with great difficulty, I really struggled to open my eyes and I had to think for a moment to figure out that I wasn't hungover as I hadn't drank any wine the night before, so I was just sleeping like a log, which I am not used to.

I've had weight gain that I can't seem to shift, joint pain, intermittant headaches, brain fog, lethargy, general disinterest in things & low mood, a ruddiness in my complexion and pimples on my back, toilet troubles, psoriasis - grief, it sounds like I am a walking disaster area! In all instances the cases are mild, but slightly irritating. I am looking forward to achieving this and doing this for my body, I have high hopes for this :)

All the best everyone!!!

Thank you Mega for the guidelines. I have EVOO on the veggies, on the salad at lunch - so I need to add yet another fat at those meals? 

Wish I could make breakfast at home. Already sick of hard boiled eggs...

Tomorrow I'll eat at the company cafeteria at lunch. A ton of choices, many many healthy ones, but I will have to be careful.

Coffeeshopgeek

Your Lara bar is like candy Emergency use only!

Your headache is normal in the first days

It's probably from sugar withdrawal

Larabars are good without brakes to some

Snacking is discouraged

Stay hydrated! ;)

Yes, thank you. I was not anticipating being out until nearly 2 pm and I needed food. I suffer from hypoglycemia at times and I didn't want to go from minor headache to being unable to drive myself home. I wouldn't have eaten it otherwise.

Saki

There's a thread what's for breakfast

Might give you ideas

If I were taking portable food id probably make spinach muffins with olives and raisins add prosciutto and have compliant rolled up luncheon meat like turkey Dietz n ? Or BoarsHead

Oh and you could always cook a giant frittata with veggies and yams or zucchini tomatoes etc the night before and you'll have extra breakfasts to go

Hi Everyone!

I started my first Whole30 on June 1st also. I had been reading about it for several months. I read It Starts With Food and The Whole30 and finally decided to just do it. I told a friend about it and she decided to start the very next day. I waited until this week so that I'd have time to shop and prep. I'm hoping for improved energy and mood, balanced hormones, clearer skin (I have dry skin, breakouts, and occasional weird rashes that pop up for no reason), as well as some weight loss. I'm curious to see how I react to foods when I reintroduce things in a month.

Day 1

M1 - 2 eggs scrambled with spinach and mushrooms sautéed in clarified butter topped with avocado slices, cantaloupe

M2 - Large salad with taco beef/turkey combo, avocado and Whole30 ranch for fat

M3 - Turkey slices rolled with pepper strips, avocado, bean sprouts, and mustard, strawberries

I ended up eating two snacks. I'm hoping I get used to three meals a day but for now I'm eating 5 times a day (every 3 hours) The first snack was 1/4 cup of trail mix with nuts, seeds and dried fruit. The second snack was an apple with sunflower seed butter 

Day 2

M1 - Eggs over easy cooked in clarified butter, left over sweet potato cooked in coconut oil

M2 - Roast chicken, potatoes and carrots, kale salad

M3 - Protein salad in half a red pepper and lettuce leaves, sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil

Today's snacks were (1) almonds and grapes (post karate class), (2) turkey slices rolled with spinach, avocado, onion and mustard, and (3) 1 egg cooked in butter and apple sauce

I feel like I'm eating big meals that follow the template but I'm still hungry. Will my body get used to this new way of eating or should I just try to eat more at each meal? I'm always full after meals but 3 hours later I'm hungry again. I end up eating at 9am, 12pm, 3pm (mini meal), 6pm, and 9pm (mini meal). I go to bed around midnight so this is still 3 hours before bed. Any ideas?

I thought I had found compliant deli turkey but I re-read the label today and discovered that it wasn't. I was looking for "sugar" or "syrup" and carrageenan and completely missed the dextrose. I've eaten it both days so I guess I'll be extending my Whole30 by 2 days. Oh well. I'll have to read more carefully next time.  

I'm definitely feeling the Day 2 effects. I've had a mild headache all day and I'm really tired. I have no energy to do anything and patience with my kids is in short supply. I keep reminding myself that this is how the first week will be and that I need to be careful how I interact with them. I was planning to workout during the Whole30 but so far I haven't had the time or energy. I worked up a good sweat in karate class today so that counts for something.

I never do. ;) Egg and acid from the fridge, oil from the cupboard, add immersion blender + 20 seconds of blending time and it comes out perfect every time!  I love not having to worry about remembering to take out the egg/acid!  

I did see a recipe that said you don't need to let things warm to room temperature today.  I was just afraid to jinx the magic that happens in my jar, lol!  I'll have to try it from the fridge next time because I always end up waiting impatiently for the egg.   :P

I find I'm better off using a blender for mayo

I can double batch it

I remove the cap from the top covering on the blender jar first

Add lemon juice or acid 1/2 c

Egg yolks 4 one whole egg

Tbsp Dijon kosher salt tsp

Whirr or pulse well on high

Use a cup measure with a spout to drizzle oil while on high add more oil if it's too thick

Ready for day 3! The last two days have been pretty easy, but that's been my experience in the past, too. I never have been hit with the strong withdrawals of the first few days. I think it might be because I eliminated coffee about a week ago - that helped.

For those of you on the first round of Whole 30, I've always found the timeline helpful:  Whole 30 Timeline

Divergirl - for bike long bike rides, you might want to check out Yawp bars or take some nuts along.  I rarely take food with me unless I'm going over two hours.

If you have a pack under your seat, maybe a banana?

There are forum threads about endurance exercise that will give you some good ideas!

Wishing everyone a great day 3!

Archived