Start date June 1

Elissa W

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Question for the pros who've done this before - if you don't experience a lot of the negative side effects during the first week or so, does that mean you are doing something wrong? Or could it mean that it's just not as severe for your body? I'm trying to gauge where I'm at right now."

I haven't done W30 before either, but I am also not experiencing any real side effects.  I ran 5 miles yesterday in an average time even.  Last night I wanted something sweet, but it was only out of habit (and seeing some homemade goodies that were stashed in the freezer - I am flying solo, family still wants them)

I, too, wondered about maybe having done something wrong, but after looking over my foods for the past 3 days I cannot find anything non-compliant.  I think the way I ate before has a lot to do with it.  Plus I seriously took the advice I've seen on the boards and in the book about making sure to get enough fat and not treating fruit like it's bad.  Not over-doing, but still enjoying some.

I actually posted over on the Troubleshooting board. The consensus seems to be that because I worked towards the Whole30 as opposed to a sudden change on Day 1, that body has probably been adjusting for a little while now. They said to enjoy it :)

I'm on day 4 and I'm so tired! Idk if it's because of the meal plan or working out last night. I didnt feel like last night I didnt have enough energy to complete my hr weight lifting class. Any suggestions for increasing my energy? I plan on going for a run today but not sure if I have enough energy. 

There is cake in the office today. I would have totally eaten a slice before but im actually not craving sweets. Ive been pretty satisfied following the 7 day meal plan. I don't feel like I want to Kill All The Things which is kind of a shame. lol. I was preparing myself for it. I even warned my boyfriend. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

I'm on day 4 and I'm so tired! Idk if it's because of the meal plan or working out last night. I didnt feel like last night I didnt have enough energy to complete my hr weight lifting class. Any suggestions for increasing my energy? I plan on going for a run today but not sure if I have enough energy. 

There is cake in the office today. I would have totally eaten a slice before but im actually not craving sweets. Ive been pretty satisfied following the 7 day meal plan. I don't feel like I want to Kill All The Things which is kind of a shame. lol. I was preparing myself for it. I even warned my boyfriend. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

It's fairly normal to be too tired to exercise in the first two weeks while your body becomes fat adapted so don't be expecting to lift like you did before over the next week to ten days - it'll come around again though & you'll come back even stronger!!

Try upping your intake of starchy veg in the meantime to improve your energy levels - things like sweet potato, beets, turnip, squash.... 

For my runs, I literally felt like I had cement on my ankles for a solid 2 weeks. Your pace may drop by over 1:00/mile and your heart rate may be way higher than normal so expect to have to slow it down/cut it short. It gets better though. And its so nice to go out for a long run with nothing but water instead of having to pack all those gels and drink mixes!

This is my first day and first time doing The Whole 30! I'm already trying to figure out what to make for dinner that my husband will eat because he's NOT doing this...it's going to be a long 29 more days if I don't figure this out! 

Anyone else solo?

I am pretty much solo myself.  My neighbor enlisted me.  I make the same meal for my family, except I add in more sides.  Like rice/ pasta.  That way it is not 2 separate dinners.  If my kids want something different, I make them do it themselves.

For my runs, I literally felt like I had cement on my ankles for a solid 2 weeks. Your pace may drop by over 1:00/mile and your heart rate may be way higher than normal so expect to have to slow it down/cut it short. It gets better though. And its so nice to go out for a long run with nothing but water instead of having to pack all those gels and drink mixes!

I feel like I am moving through Tar today.  Glad it's not just me. ;)

My partner and I started June 1 - first time for both of us. We're "secretly" doing it - meaning, we are not telling anyone we know until we complete it (which I know we will). This is to show that we can be healthy without having "excuses" (sorry I'll pass on that doughnut, I'm on a diet, as opposed to: no thanks, I'll pass!). However, I felt I should share with the community here!

Day 4 and I'm actually feeling the same - which is pretty great. I feel like I am getting plenty of food, and the biggest change is the planning aspect. When I was feeling tired, I noticed exercise helped pump me up again. In addition to the Whole30 restrictions, I have also excluded coffee (which I don't drink, but my partner does. I think kicking a caffeine habit is important, too) and any clarified butter or ghee as I already didn't eat dairy before this diet, so why introduce it now? 

My sister completed this and felt very positive about it. She was a bit "preachy" which actually detracted me at first. I thought I'd give it a shot, though, because I definitely have a sugar habit to kick! Ultimately I'd like to stick to primarily paleo diet. 

Good luck everyone!

Hi all!  Day 4 and still at it - today, by far, has been the hardest for me because I feel so tired I could fall over at any minute.  I am an avid gym-goer and I do cardio and heavy lifting 6-7 days/week - should I up my carb intake via veggies (and limited fruits)?  I feel like I am so tired because before this, I followed a specific IIFYM diet catered to my workouts and my goals and I was eating significantly higher carbs - they were clean carbs but items not compliant with whole 30 so I've dropped them for the program.  Does anyone else workout like I do or has anyone else had experience in feeling SO exhausted?  It's pretty awful - really banking on it being temporary.  Will my body adjust to lower carb?  Thanks xx!

i think the rec is to take it easy on exercise the first two weeks. 

and to eat lots of compliant starchy veg, like sweet potatos, turnips, etc. 

and to make sure you do the pre and post workout mini meals that are veg and protein, not  fruit.

I was hoping to add in more exercise this round, but my energy is so low! I know it's normal, but I guess I was hoping since its round 2 that I would be doing better. But I have gotten out in my garden, pulling weeds and planting things, etc every day and more active around the house doing chores and stuff. Overall doing great with food though and making an effort to try a few new recipes.

Curious, does anyone have any big outings in the next month? I have a wedding to go to on day 28 and haven't a clue on how to handle it yet.

My son is turning 18 and graduating from high school next Saturday so we HAVE to celebrate. My in laws fly in Tuesday. I am planning to order a plain salad and bring some boiled eggs.

My son is turning 18 and graduating from high school next Saturday so we HAVE to celebrate. My in laws fly in Tuesday. I am planning to order a plain salad and bring some boiled eggs.

Not sure where you are going, but how about ordering a HUGE steak with steamed vegetables.  It is okay to ask for only salt and pepper seasoning and no sauce/butter on the veggies.  I usually say I have an allergy.  That way, they are more careful in preparation.

Day 4 and I'm feeling good already!

For those that are feeling good right out of the box and worry that you're doing something wrong, I can only share my past experiences.

Each time I have done the Whole 30, I have been fully prepared for the sluggishness and headaches and all kinds of crazy withdrawal.

And, I never experienced any of it. I guess my body just thrives on eating healthy.  

I agree with the forums - if you've read the rules and are paying attention AND you're feeling good - ENJOY IT!!

I'm so jazzed to back on track. If you've never had tiger blood you're in for a REAL TREAT  ;)

Ruby!  The user pic is perfect!  (I found a halfway decent screenie of my mental dragon slayer, but it's too far away to really see her once it scales the picture down to thumbnail size and linking it makes it HUGE so I'm going to try and tweak it before taking up half a page with a single post or something.) 

Friday can be a tough day, but I don't want to see anyone left behind going into the weekend so go in tough tomorrow and knock this weekend out!  Week 2 guys!!!  Okay, well it's nearly in sight if you squint a little and I want all of you around to shout it with me on Monday!

My project for tomorrow is to start putting my grocery list together, so I would love to hear from everyone what is the best new/rediscovered thing you came up with this week?  Something you had this week that you know you would reach for now even after your W30 because it was that good?   

I fell for La Croix Coconut...I can't really pretend to enjoy drinking water but that really worked for me this week. 

Hi all!  Day 4 and still at it - today, by far, has been the hardest for me because I feel so tired I could fall over at any minute.  I am an avid gym-goer and I do cardio and heavy lifting 6-7 days/week - should I up my carb intake via veggies (and limited fruits)?  I feel like I am so tired because before this, I followed a specific IIFYM diet catered to my workouts and my goals and I was eating significantly higher carbs - they were clean carbs but items not compliant with whole 30 so I've dropped them for the program.  Does anyone else workout like I do or has anyone else had experience in feeling SO exhausted?  It's pretty awful - really banking on it being temporary.  Will my body adjust to lower carb?  Thanks xx!

Yep, up your starchy carb intake, but not fruits. Starchy carbs will replenish muscle glycogen stores & encourage your body to become fat adapted. Fruit will keep you in the carb zone. It WILL get easier around the start of week 2...

howdy all!

i made it to day 7 (i started may 30).

i ran out of sweet potatos! so i've had to improvise a bit last evening and today, but it's getting me to eat more vegetables, even if they are dipped in homemade OO mayo.

i find i get full quicker than i used to before w30. i know it's because i'm eating real food. i am not getting The Hangry at all. which is amazing to me. i thought for sure i'd have days and days of just being irritable. well - according ot the timeline that may come yet!

i'm lucky because i live by myself, so i've been able to be a sloth (and small bit of a slob) this week. my body is definitely feeling less creaky tho.

and my mind is starting to feel less fuzzy and more present.

Good morning!

Spent some time in the kitchen yesterday ... frig is full ... for now!!  Harder to keep stocked as my grown boys (men) are home from college.  Funny how my vegetables don't "disappear" overnight, but my chicken does!

Golfing tonight with my hubby instead of a dinner date.  One of the things I really enjoy about being on the Whole30 (and a lesson I've tried to incorporate after Whole30) ... is socializing around something other than food.  It's fun to think out of the box.

Off to workout this morning.  Last time my energy was so low during my workouts ... never rebounded very much.  Makes me really dread working out!  So far, not as bad.  I'm on some intensity restrictions until I get medical clearance in a couple of weeks so don't know if that's it, or my body is better adapted this time ... I hope the latter.

Have a good day everyone!

Quick morning check in...definitely my roughest morning so far.  Woke up from a bizzare dream that I could only wish had been about food, so wasn't.  In it, I was a sort of human balloon...with a leak.  The imagery of reducing in size so dramatically might be funny now, in the mid morning hours, but it was a bit disturbing to start my morning with.  Maybe doubly so since the mirror didn't confirm any such overnight leakage. 

I let myself sleep in a bit after that, but still got up in time to make food and sit and eat it and wasn't late to work.  That's a pretty big win for me.  My co-worker is back today, so I can take it a bit easy this morning and maybe even finish a cup of coffee. 

I'm hoping my energy perks up a bit because I need some zest to get my grocery list going.  Trying to do that last weekend before my start date was the worst.  I do fine with cravings for the most part because I'm too busy to think about food or I keep myself that way, but sit down to start planning my meals and grocery list and all of a sudden my mind is full of helpful suggestions on how to "round out that meal" while rounding me out at the same time!  I can usually banish the thought before I start wallowing in imagining what that would taste like but it can get both distracting and a bit discouraging.  I feel like this week will be easier because I've got some things I like to start the list out with but I'm committed to working in as much variety as possible even before food boredom sets in.  I took on this challenge to push myself to eat more healthy foods and to discover more ways of working with them so I'm rubbing my two sticks together and trying to get that fire lit this morning!      

Good morning all!  Just starting week 2 today and happy that week 1 is done and gone.  Surprisingly the meals kept me very satisfied and I was even able to battle my after dinner snack cravings.  I have been eating dinner 30 to 60 minutes later than is my habit and since I go to sleep early, there is less time to think about snacking between dinner and bedtime.  I have been having trouble with insomnia due to other medical issues and medication so I don't feel that energy spark yet.  The hardest part of week 1 has been all the cooking and planning meals for the next day in my head and trying to get more creative with the ingredients I have in the refrigerator.  For instance, I pulled ground turkey out of the freezer this morning but have no clue what I will do with it for dinner. Several days ago I made a meatloaf out of ground turkey and it was very tasty.  Will look for another recipe today.  My biggest accomplishment has been to eliminate all sugar and sugar substitutes as I am a Crystal Light junkie as well as love very sweet coffee with flavored creamer.  Needless to say, I have dropped back to two cups of coffee a day from four.  I can manage black coffee with coconut milk.  It did not kill me!  Have a great weekend everyone.

Here we are DAY 5!!! Headaches are easing up and feeling a little less of the arthritis, looking forward to those things continuing to improve. Was already eating pretty well before starting so I didn't get hit too hard with some of the withdrawal symptoms. Even managed to do 30 minutes of HIIT yesterday.

The weekend is going to be filled with landmines! We not only drink, we make beer and wine as a hobby. I stabilized and racked two carboys of wine this week and for the first time EVER I spit the wine out after tasting it. heavy sigh.... Ah well, it will be back in moderation at some point - because it is delicious!!

Thanks to all the support here on the board - I increased my breakfast yesterday and it helped a TON! And today...It is almost 10 am here and the mid-morning hungries are no where in sight! Might actually make it to lunch time!

Question - we aren't supposed to step on the scale - if we do, do we have to start over??

Day 5! so far so good, I am feeling a little nervous about the weekend. It is my first one since I started that I will be working. I work the midnight shift at a hospital every weekend. I usually work 3 nights in a row. This weekend I am split, Work 1, off 1, work 1. This not only messes with sleep, but is usually my hardest time with eating healthy. Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Good morning all!  Just starting week 2 today and happy that week 1 is done and gone.  Surprisingly the meals kept me very satisfied and I was even able to battle my after dinner snack cravings.  I have been eating dinner 30 to 60 minutes later than is my habit and since I go to sleep early, there is less time to think about snacking between dinner and bedtime.  I have been having trouble with insomnia due to other medical issues and medication so I don't feel that energy spark yet.  The hardest part of week 1 has been all the cooking and planning meals for the next day in my head and trying to get more creative with the ingredients I have in the refrigerator.  For instance, I pulled ground turkey out of the freezer this morning but have no clue what I will do with it for dinner. Several days ago I made a meatloaf out of ground turkey and it was very tasty.  Will look for another recipe today.  My biggest accomplishment has been to eliminate all sugar and sugar substitutes as I am a Crystal Light junkie as well as love very sweet coffee with flavored creamer.  Needless to say, I have dropped back to two cups of coffee a day from four.  I can manage black coffee with coconut milk.  It did not kill me!  Have a great weekend everyone.

Hello Maggie! I found a whole 30 recipe   that I made last night with ground turkey and it was very good. I tweeked the recipe somewhat, using ground turkey and italian spices instead if italian sausage..I will send it to you if you want. It is for Zuppa Toscana, but I tweeeked the recipe a little by using more greens , subbing baby potaoes for parsnips and leaving out water and using chicken broth. My husband liked it and even took leftovers to work today for his lunch!

Archived