Start date June 1

Elissa W

Kitty blood, just gotta luv you guys.... :D

That's me today for sure, but that's typical after a morning teaching session.  There I am barely awake myself and I need to be on fire, a larger than average size class so it was intense as well.  I usually feel like a limp zoodle afterwards and this time was no real exception, but I was definitely more prepared to tackle it going in.  I didn't have to dial it up quite as much because I was already more on than usual.  

Now just trying to readjust my internal clock to the idea that it's really lunch time even though I just stepped into the office.  Lunches this week are something I put together that I think really worked, though of course everyone's tastes are different and this might feel more like an autumn dish than a summer one.  I made the Balsamic chicken recipe I described in an earlier post, only used those smaller chicken strips.  I also made some golden beets, just basic roasting on those, and I toasted some raw pecans with a healthy dash of cinnamon.  I'm finding that since I'm not much of a salad person and not really fond of cold meat as a rule, what is working for me is topping a pile of leafy greens with hot toppings more like a taco salad.  Also just the small amount of "juice" from reheating the meat poured over the greens adds the feel of a salad dressing without using much of any.  So a base of baby spring mix, a couple chopped balsamic chicken strips, some warmed up roasted beets, and a sprinkle of those pecans adding just a slight warm spicy note and some crunch.  It's something I feel like I would totally make again and serve even.    

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Vozelle! I will take a look and see if it gives some inspiration. We do get a meat CSA once a month, that just came last week, so will see if the the meat that came in our box can be integrated into the program. I do enjoy cooking, it's just like I have said before, I don't like being owned by the kitchen. Might also look at Melicious's (that's Melissa Joulwen off "Well Fed") weekly cook-up to take some pressure off. Again, Thanks!

I wax and wane between feeling tied to/consumed by the kitchen, and feeling liberated by all the deliciousness that I'm creating (or replicating). I have always found cooking to be life-draining, but this month has really given me new energy and confidence. I think I may have found my kitty blood in the kitchen :)

Tonight I made this zesty chicken bite recipe http://lexiscleankitchen.com/2014/01/05/zesty-chicken-bites/(no cheese) and I cannot convey how goooooood these are. I'm dipping them in compliant marinara sauce and dancing around my kitchen.

Tonight I made this zesty chicken bite recipe http://lexiscleankitchen.com/2014/01/05/zesty-chicken-bites/(no cheese) and I cannot convey how goooooood these are. I'm dipping them in compliant marinara sauce and dancing around my kitchen.

Isn't it fun to make new stuff? No food boredom here (though I DO suffer from dish-washing boredom)... I made the Moroccan Meatballs tonight (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/03/05/mmmmm-moroccan-meatballs/)... fairly easy and WOW! Who knew you could buy spices, put them in food, and make something so delicious!?? Haha! Yes, before this Whole30 thing I was not much of a cook beyond boiling eggs, steaming veggies and baking cookies. But the other day I bought a variety of spices, and I'm now having a whole new experience in the kitchen. SO cool.

@vozelle  I am amazed at how many dishes/containers/bowls I use in a week. We are running a full dishwasher every other day AND I'm hand-washing a full sink every night just to keep up. We need dish-washing robots.

@vozelle  I am amazed at how many dishes/containers/bowls I use in a week. We are running a full dishwasher every other day AND I'm hand-washing a full sink every night just to keep up. We need dish-washing robots.

I can relate. I thought when the kids had flown the coop we might only run the dishwasher every other day. That had not been the case. It's every day, and sometimes twice in a day, plus the handwashing. The price we pay for cooking our own food. Harumph!  :P

"Uff da", as they say in Norwegian! It seems I do NOT digest lamb very well... despite my culinary prowess last night in making the amazingly delicious Moroccan Meatballs, and my full enjoyment of the meal (despite never having liked lamb before), I woke up in the wee hours with a serious digestive rebellion raving inside. Cramping, bloating, aching, grumbling, pain... ugh! Luckily it is already settling down after a nice cup o' digestive mint tea and a visit to the loo. But hells bells, I didn't know "compliant" foods could cause such chaos... and I KNOW everything was compliant because I made it all from scratch and read and re-read the label on the tomato paste can before using... everything else in the recipe was just meat, veggies, and spices (Oh beloved spices, please don't turn on me now, when we have only just begun this sweet love affair!!). Anyway, lesson learned. Maybe there was a reason I never liked lamb in the past... lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uff_da

Have a great Day 24 everybody! Let's all check in over the next few days RE> plans to stay on this thread during our post-Day30 reintroductions OR continuations. I have decided to do a few introductions of things I miss (quinoa, brown rice, plain yogurt, cheddar cheese), but otherwise stay pretty much Whole30 compliant through July/August (or forever). I'll also keep receiving email updates from this thread, so I won't be disappearing anytime soon. I appreciate each and every one of you, thanks for being my Whole30 "family".  : )

I was just thinking something similar, we absolutely need to pop in when we can no matter what we do after June 30, to share recipe or food finds.  (Like I'm off now to check out Efab's chicken bites!)  Even those who aren't continuing past the thirty days are probably going to be looking at ways to still make some compliant meals and we will all be needing fresh ideas.  Scanning through websites and such is fine, but there is nothing like a personal recommendation and what tweaks we made to it. 

On a side note, Audible had an interesting one on their "deal of the day" yesterday that is making me tear up laughing.  It's definitely not appropriate for all audiences, but it's one I think so many of us could relate to and laugh/groan along with.  The basic premise is a "fat" couple enter a contest on a local radio show to see which couple can lose the most weight.  The book is alternating between their diary entries about how it's going and you can only just imagine.  The first chapter with the description of Zoe trying on a dress she knows is a size to small and then getting stuck in it pretty much sold me on this being the perfect laugh track for me this week.  The narrators alternate between a male and female voice as well and I have a bit of trouble listening to the guy so this might be one to look for in print or as an e-book.  It's a bit more slapstick humor at times and Zoe's cabbage soup diet is entirely not compliant, but it's a riot and some much needed comic relief this week. 

DonnaB, Crimsann, Vozelle, vnewtnew, Efab, pshannon, misshannah,MeGAGardener,  jmcbn (our trusty moderator) and everyone else! 

Agreed! The first 30 days are really just the beginning. An opportunity to start to change habits and develop a new relationship with food - and all of you!

I think the real work begins day 31 when we start to reintroduce things we haven't been eating. Who else can we turn to to figure out what is going on and to share our struggles, trials and tribulations with?? Who else would understand?? We need each other.

oh yeah - all pants with the same size, made by the same company, sold in the same store and hanging on the same rack, are NOT the same size! Tried on 1 pair, bought 2, second ones produced quite the muffin top - ARGH! And I bought them to take with me tomorrow morning to Orlando. Oh well, guess I'll pair them with a puffy top! Camouflage the muffin top!

I was just about to say Welcome to the Club when I saw your new pic!!!  I luv the look!  I will share a secret with you...my hair really is red, but, and here is the shocker....my skin isn't mint green.

Who knew?!?!? 

Now we just need to change your name to Vermillion and we will be such the trio!

@Ruby....HAVE A SAFE TRIP in every sense of the word.  This isn't even going to be a challenge because we are so all on fire, but we will be rooting for you to have an awesome time with your friend and rock the new lifestyle because we know this has been on your radar since day one.

Camo Muffins, I hate to say it guys but there is a very real chance some of my silliness has rubbed off on you all over the last 20-odd days.

::giggles maniacally::

It would be so fun if we had to petition to have our topic renamed to June 1, 2015 in order to not be confusing for all of next year's June newbies when we were still active.  Now there is a stretch goal! 

I was just about to say Welcome to the Club when I saw your new pic!!!  I luv the look!  I will share a secret with you...my hair really is red, but, and here is the shocker....my skin isn't mint green.

Who knew?!?!? 

Now we just need to change your name to Vermillion and we will be such the trio!

Love it, haha!  : )

Day 24 had its ups and downs. Still recovering from those Moroccan spices I guess... I thought some probiotic drinky thingy would help... I swear I got tipsy on raw 100% compliant kombucha... who knew that could happen?, I didn't even drink a whole cup!

The last few days have been tough for me, feeling quite poorly ( not food related I feel) and craving something comforting like porridge. Iced coconut water, diluted with plain water has kept me going. I have enjoyed reading the forum with all its banter. Like vozelle, I am looking forward to re-introducing some of the simple foods like rice, yoghurt, and for me, feta cheese. I was eating an essentially primal diet before starting Whole 30, but I had got into some poor habits with sugar and it is great to realise that I don't need it. I used to have chocolate every day...

Is everyone looking forward to measuring and getting on the scales? I know those are not the most important things, but I have to admit to being curious.

Yes, janpuzzle - I am looking forward to reintroductions, too. For me it's things like legumes (love me some beans and lentils), soy - the coconut aminos are good, and I can see adding them to our diet permanently, but it's not the same as soy sauce and tofu, but will have to see how my body reacts on reintroduction, and quinoa and rice. We were eating "clean" before doing W30, but we hadn't eliminated major food groups. The one thing that I am most disgusted about is the number of additives in things like condiments and vitamins/supplements. I "think" I have a whole new perspective on those things.

Yes - we should change our name so we know where to find each other. I was thinking we should start our own group in the re-intro section come Day 31.

Camo - muffins - hahahahahaha! I had to go back and re-read to catch the reference, and then found it very funny. Of course, my context is a contributing factor, as my DH is known by his friends as the camo man because he often wears camo clothes. To top that off, I think he gets a huge kudos for sticking with me and doing W30 this month. This is because as a retiree he just took a part-time job a few months ago at the new Cabela's that just recently opened in our area, and his new title there is "fudge king" because he makes.....wait for it......FUDGE! Can you picture making fudge every work day and doing a W30? I had to ban him from bringing any samples home this last month. Last week he even made camo fudge for Fathers Day. smh!

@janpuzzle...curious, yes!  But I'm pretty sure I'm heading into doing some if not all of July and I've decided to just do a new set of pictures at the first of July mark and stay off the scale a little while longer. 

I am however, standing by with virtual champagne (conveniently pixels have NO calories and I've yet to see them ruled non-compliant) and am ready to celebrate everyone's victories NSV and SV!  I hope you will stay on for awhile as well and share how your reintro goes! 

@DonnaB...if we move the topic we should be sure that the first post or one of them links back to our conversation here so we can keep that as part of the continuing chatter, but that might sense to graduate to a new thread when we pass up the magic mark.  I would want to come back and reminisce about the time Vozelle got tipsy on kombucha for example...ah, those were the days.

I'm sneaking out of work (with permission because I'm such a goody-goody) to get my hair done, hurrah!  Or is that just my sneaky way to lose another ounce?  I shall never reveal.

Hi All- posting today because this morning I am finally- FINALLY- starting to feel a bit better.  I've just been lurking since my last post on Sunday because I had nothing positive or useful to say.  I felt soooo awful.  I could not sleep, the inflammation flared up and I was visibly puffy, not to mention the fact that clothes that were hanging off me 3 days prior were snug fitting again.  My skin looked really bad and I got some acne, which I didn't even have much of as a teen.  My husband was worried because he noticed the dark circles under my eyes and he could see how quickly things were deteriorating for me.

I saw the doc on Mon but had to wait for strep results from the lab, so she just said to keep doing what I was doing until we knew.  But I was waking up in the night with my entire body tensed and my fists and jaw clenched from the pain of swallowing.  I called her back and she ordered me a steroid pack and pain drops for my ear.  That was yesterday, and thankfully I finally have some relief.  Still in pain, but absolutely manageable now.  Some of the systemic swelling is down too, and I am so grateful.  I was really feeling like the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man!  

My eating schedule was completely disordered, but I ate at least 2 meals per day and always protein, veg, fat.  I was very tempted to throw in the towel, because I was just so blasted sick, but I knew I would hate myself later, so I just kept telling myself to keep going.

@janpuzzle- I soooooo wanted some oatmeal (porridge)   :)

@DonnaB and all- I am definitely in for staying subscribed and joining another thread in the reintro forum when I start those

@Crimsann- what is the name of the book you found on Audible?  

@Vozelle- I have dish washing anger. I HATE washing dishes. That's the only part of this that really bothers me. I should probably see someone about that :P I was sorry to read about your tummy troubles, I've been there- at least you got a funny kombucha story out of it.  And the new profile pic- awesome!

@Ruby- have a wonderful time in Florida!

Hope Day 25 is going well for everyone!  

So, I still have no energy.... I cant help but feel like somehow this isn't working for me.

Anyone have an suggestions?

Wish I did. Low energy is the story of my life - and if I start feeling better and then push myself to do something, I can count on a few days to recover. I have had other non-fatal health issues that are not always easily identifiable (adrenal fatigue, anyone?), that I know just take longer than 30 days to recover from, so I'm wondering if there have been other things at the root of my lack of energy that, again, take longer than 30 days to recover from.

• Moderators

So, I still have no energy.... I cant help but feel like somehow this isn't working for me.

It's hard to offer suggestions if we don't know what you're doing -- could you list a couple of days' worth of food, water intake, exercise, and sleep?

The most common culprit for no energy, food wise, is not eating enough, specifically not eating enough starchy vegetables, not eating enough fat, or not eating pre- and especially post-workout meals when you need them. Also make sure you're getting enough water -- about 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, drink at least 60 oz of water.

Other things that can contribute: Not getting enough sleep/good sleep, exercising too much without allowing for recovery time, underlying medical conditions. I'm sure there's others, but these are just some things to think about, off the top of my head.

I like moderator Shannon's suggestions above, and I would also add: evaluate the impact of current stressors in your life. I know the Hartwigs always say that you can't fix a lifestyle (stress) problem with a nutritional solution alone. Ongoing stress will continue to cause inflammation in your system, wreaking havoc on just about everything... they say it can really slow down your progress.

When feeling discouraged or uncertain if this program is "working" for me, I have found some inspiration over in the "Success Stories" section of the forum. I look for posts by people who have been going through similar challenges and try to learn from their experiences.

@ Sara82, janpuzzle and DonnaB... maybe these words (from a recent Daily30 Email) are fitting and helpful? I know they are for me right now!:

"...but if some of what you were hoping to see hasn’t happened yet, do not fret. Depending on your previous lifestyle and your individual context, your magic might not kick in until the very end of your program—and you might need to continue your squeaky-clean commitment beyond 30 days to accomplish all of your goals. Medical conditions are especially tough to resolve, as are longstanding habits. If your skin isn’t clear just yet, your digestion has yet to settle down, or your Sugar Dragons aren’t yet dormant in their caves, take heart. Many Whole30 participants report they didn’t get to the real life-changing stuff until their very last days on the program… and that their results continued to improve as their program extended beyond the initial 30 day period."

Blessings, strength and perseverance to all... I am rooting for you!!   : )

Hi Vozelle

I'm thinking might not be the lamb in the Moroccan meatballs it may be the tomato paste

Yes that's acidy and may have caused the upset

Also if you were used to ground Turkey sub it out

You can leave out the tomato paste and add paprika They'll brown fine

Hi all!  I haven't posted this week either because I have been having a hard time.  @Sara82, I feel you.

I have stuck with it and will continue to stick with it because I am proud of myself for the resolve, commitment, and dedication to such a strict program for the full 30 days (and we are so close), but I don't feel great.  For awhile, i have gone back and forth from feeling "okay" and feeling incredibly exhausted to the point where I don't feel like I can function at an optimal level (let alone feel anything like the daily emails act as if we "should" feel by now or have any inkling to what they mean by "tiger blood").  

Before Whole 30, I was following an IIFYM diet plan with almost all clean food - much of what I am eating now during whole 30, I ate before whole 30 - I just had to cut out some key carbohydrate and other groups/random items that are not-Whole 30 compliant, such as oats, protein bars, rice, gum, ketchup(!), and yogurt.  I am an avid gym goer and lifter and I honestly can't remember the last time while on whole 30 that I didn't feel totally exhausted as in "I feel like I am about to fall over" at the gym.  I have to cut my workouts short, I feel tired during the day and at night, and I am still not able to fall asleep well at night.  I don't feel refreshed.  My anxiety is off the charts and the restrictions of the whole 30 program seem to make what is already trying and difficult even worse and increase my anxiety by making me feel "trapped" or "locked into" only very specific types of food.  

I am trying to find NSV where I can in that today someone at work complimented me, but it's really a let down that, here we are, at day 25, and this is the state of affairs!  I thought I would feel MORE energetic and feel more powerful in my workouts/cardio/lifts - I feel weaker and more tired, which in turn is making me feel sad (for lack of a better term), disappointed, and frustrated that I have been so diligent and strict about my intake for the last 25 days and yet I don't necessarily seem to be feeling the benefits I "should" physically or emotionally - not only do I not seem to be feeling positive benefits, I feel like I feel worse than I did before I started the program.  I know there are other benefits so I am also trying to remind myself of those from my reading of the book/articles, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I just thought you all may have some advice and wanted to make sure that anyone else who posted (or didn't, who is reading!) who may be struggling knows that you're not alone.  Hope everyone else is feeling better! 

Archived