Start date June 1

Elissa W

Hi all!  I haven't posted this week either because I have been having a hard time.  @Sara82, I feel you.

I have stuck with it and will continue to stick with it because I am proud of myself for the resolve, commitment, and dedication to such a strict program for the full 30 days (and we are so close), but I don't feel great.  For awhile, i have gone back and forth from feeling "okay" and feeling incredibly exhausted to the point where I don't feel like I can function at an optimal level (let alone feel anything like the daily emails act as if we "should" feel by now or have any inkling to what they mean by "tiger blood").  

Before Whole 30, I was following an IIFYM diet plan with almost all clean food - much of what I am eating now during whole 30, I ate before whole 30 - I just had to cut out some key carbohydrate and other groups/random items that are not-Whole 30 compliant, such as oats, protein bars, rice, gum, ketchup(!), and yogurt.  I am an avid gym goer and lifter and I honestly can't remember the last time while on whole 30 that I didn't feel totally exhausted as in "I feel like I am about to fall over" at the gym.  I have to cut my workouts short, I feel tired during the day and at night, and I am still not able to fall asleep well at night.  I don't feel refreshed.  My anxiety is off the charts and the restrictions of the whole 30 program seem to make what is already trying and difficult even worse and increase my anxiety by making me feel "trapped" or "locked into" only very specific types of food.  

I am trying to find NSV where I can in that today someone at work complimented me, but it's really a let down that, here we are, at day 25, and this is the state of affairs!  I thought I would feel MORE energetic and feel more powerful in my workouts/cardio/lifts - I feel weaker and more tired, which in turn is making me feel sad (for lack of a better term), disappointed, and frustrated that I have been so diligent and strict about my intake for the last 25 days and yet I don't necessarily seem to be feeling the benefits I "should" physically or emotionally - not only do I not seem to be feeling positive benefits, I feel like I feel worse than I did before I started the program.  I know there are other benefits so I am also trying to remind myself of those from my reading of the book/articles, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I just thought you all may have some advice and wanted to make sure that anyone else who posted (or didn't, who is reading!) who may be struggling knows that you're not alone.  Hope everyone else is feeling better!

See Shannon's post above. For us to best help you, post 2-3 days of your typical meals, pre and post workout food, portions, water intake, exercise routine and nightly hours of sleep, in the Troubleshooting section.http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See Shannon's post above. For us to best help you, post 2-3 days of your typical meals, pre and post workout food, portions, water intake, exercise routine and nightly hours of sleep, in the Troubleshooting section.http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

Thanks, Chris!  Just posted more info and meals/etc. in the troubleshooting panel!

@cantknockhustle: Wow, how frustrating...I hope you find some answers and support ASAP.  : )

@MeGA "gardener": Thanks for the tips!

My Day 25 has been somewhat emotional, and I got a super low energy dip after dinner. I was literally falling over asleep in my chair! So I ate a few blueberries and 1/2 spoonful of almond butter following my meal, which tasted like the most delicious heavenly dessert on Earth (this is first time I have done something like that on the Whole30). WELL, it totally awoke my Snack Dragon, so I quickly backed away from the kitchen. Aaahh!! Today was kinda hard... just wanted some comfort food. Dang.

But Day 26 is going to be AWESOME!!!!! Right??!!! Aahhh!!

Hi all!  I haven't posted this week either because I have been having a hard time.  @Sara82, I feel you.

I have stuck with it and will continue to stick with it because I am proud of myself for the resolve, commitment, and dedication to such a strict program for the full 30 days (and we are so close), but I don't feel great.  For awhile, i have gone back and forth from feeling "okay" and feeling incredibly exhausted to the point where I don't feel like I can function at an optimal level (let alone feel anything like the daily emails act as if we "should" feel by now or have any inkling to what they mean by "tiger blood").  

Before Whole 30, I was following an IIFYM diet plan with almost all clean food - much of what I am eating now during whole 30, I ate before whole 30 - I just had to cut out some key carbohydrate and other groups/random items that are not-Whole 30 compliant, such as oats, protein bars, rice, gum, ketchup(!), and yogurt.  I am an avid gym goer and lifter and I honestly can't remember the last time while on whole 30 that I didn't feel totally exhausted as in "I feel like I am about to fall over" at the gym.  I have to cut my workouts short, I feel tired during the day and at night, and I am still not able to fall asleep well at night.  I don't feel refreshed.  My anxiety is off the charts and the restrictions of the whole 30 program seem to make what is already trying and difficult even worse and increase my anxiety by making me feel "trapped" or "locked into" only very specific types of food.  

I am trying to find NSV where I can in that today someone at work complimented me, but it's really a let down that, here we are, at day 25, and this is the state of affairs!  I thought I would feel MORE energetic and feel more powerful in my workouts/cardio/lifts - I feel weaker and more tired, which in turn is making me feel sad (for lack of a better term), disappointed, and frustrated that I have been so diligent and strict about my intake for the last 25 days and yet I don't necessarily seem to be feeling the benefits I "should" physically or emotionally - not only do I not seem to be feeling positive benefits, I feel like I feel worse than I did before I started the program.  I know there are other benefits so I am also trying to remind myself of those from my reading of the book/articles, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I just thought you all may have some advice and wanted to make sure that anyone else who posted (or didn't, who is reading!) who may be struggling knows that you're not alone.  Hope everyone else is feeling better! 

Thanks for sharing.  I have not been feeling great on this diet.  This week is slightly better because I have moments of clarity and feeling good, but I haven't been able to work out like I usually do.  Sometimes, I'm so tired I can barely cook.  So many people are feeling great, and I appreciate not being alone in feeling low energy - though I'm sorry neither one of us is filled with Tiger Blood yet!!  Looking for the benefits, too.  Clothes a little looser, choosing what I eat, learning how much energy I spend normally on others (I just don't have it to spend on them right now), and fewer body aches and pains.

Thanks for sharing.  I have not been feeling great on this diet.  This week is slightly better because I have moments of clarity and feeling good, but I haven't been able to work out like I usually do.  Sometimes, I'm so tired I can barely cook.  So many people are feeling great, and I appreciate not being alone in feeling low energy - though I'm sorry neither one of us is filled with Tiger Blood yet!!  Looking for the benefits, too.  Clothes a little looser, choosing what I eat, learning how much energy I spend normally on others (I just don't have it to spend on them right now), and fewer body aches and pains.

If you'd like us to troubleshoot please post a few days worth of food & liquid intake along with actvity/stress/sleep levels and we'll see if we can't improve things for you.... You might want to start a new post in the Troubleshooting section.

@cantknockhustle: Wow, how frustrating...I hope you find some answers and support ASAP.  : )

@MeGA "gardener": Thanks for the tips!

My Day 25 has been somewhat emotional, and I got a super low energy dip after dinner. I was literally falling over asleep in my chair! So I ate a few blueberries and 1/2 spoonful of almond butter following my meal, which tasted like the most delicious heavenly dessert on Earth (this is first time I have done something like that on the Whole30). WELL, it totally awoke my Snack Dragon, so I quickly backed away from the kitchen. Aaahh!! Today was kinda hard... just wanted some comfort food. Dang.

But Day 26 is going to be AWESOME!!!!! Right??!!! Aahhh!!

Yah! I figured out that mine isn't a sugar dragon - it's a salty/savory dragon. I made kedgeree for breakfast this morning, and the only thing that kept it from being FWOB was that I only made enough for two of us for breakfast.Ughhh! Good thing I had to get ready for work and leave the house!!!! I hear you on the comfort food, too - salty/savory IS comfort food to me.

Meal Plan day for me, and since I haven't started thinking about this as a "four day" plan instead of a week plan...I guess that says I'm planning to keep going awhile longer.  I've decided not to do the weigh in/measurements, though I probably will do another set of "before" pictures as a midpoint check.  I haven't yet committed to doing another complete 30 day cycle at least not beyond myself so just being honest about that but I want some more time to continue to explore how I'm feeling.  I haven't talked much about that, in part because I did not have any medical conditions coming in to this or anything to really focus on as an obvious before and after.  I've had some rough days due to being sick which I do not attribute to the program and I think that threw off how I've felt on it enough that I want more time on it without that factor to get a clearer picture. 

My reasons for doing this were about equal parts just the challenge, the idea of getting back in the kitchen and being creative with the kinds of foods I wanted to eat more of, and intrigue over the parts of "It Starts With Food" that centered on hormonal balances and waking up in the morning. 

On those three aims, I feel like this month so far has been a success.  The challenge has been real and invigorating and let's be honest, totally brag worthy.  I have absolutely been playing around with foods I didn't normally eat and coming up with interesting ways to eat them within the guidelines.  And I have been far more alert in the mornings.

In the mean time, I do feel like clothes are fitting better if not falling straight off me.  I do feel like my skin is brighter.  And I have noticed that my energy is more steady and my moods as well.  It's a weird feeling to "miss" the rush of energy from the up cycles, but it's a delight to "miss" the crash. 

I think more time on will help me rule out that some of the perceived energy isn't just from the rush of the challenge itself, or from actually eating regular meals consisting of anything at all.  If the energy stays steady and clothes fit better and better as the next few weeks tick past then the next big question will be what can I add back into the mix and still keep a balance.  I've been looking really hard at different options and want to continue to explore some before deciding what to try, but I suspect my eventual choice will look a lot like what I've been seeing in the Clean Eating magazine I picked up a week or so ago.  Not that I'm going to start using their site or magazine as my new exclusive plan or anything but I like the looks of the much broader food groups and yet still focused on whole food ingredients.  Barring that I find I have some hereto unexpected food sensitivities and reintro-ing them brings on symptoms I've never noticed before...I feel like that is the lifestyle I would want for myself long term.  With perhaps an occasional Whole30 to help with weight control if that became a problem and this turns out to have worked for me in that regards.  I'm not getting any younger, would just like to make sure I stay as young as possible for my age!

Mostly I'm in a contemplative mood this morning, I got some new last night that may be sort of life-changing and the timing is right for it to mean some really big decisions.  Will not bore you with the details of my life story, but the bottom line is if the move they are considering goes through, my 12-hour days may shrink back to normal 8 hour days.  This will mean a smaller paycheck in literal terms, but earlier this year I was given an unexpected and huge increase after my job code was re-evaluated and they determined I was far under the market rate for the work I was doing.  Dropping to 8 hours now means I still make slightly more than what I did at the start of the year while working 33% less.  Or that's one way of looking at it.  The other way is it's like handing the raise back in exchange for working less hours.  Still not a lose-lose or anything, but there are some reasons why the longer hours worked for me.  They were a real buffer between me and some situations that could be more stressful than working! 

Nothing is certain so I'm not running out today to start looking for volunteer opportunities or yoga classes, but I've suddenly got a lot of things to consider on top of food choices. 

Woah, I think I may have had a hint of Tiger Blood this morning... will keep you posted. Feeling hungry and lazy right now though, lol.

@ Crimsann - Enjoyed reading your update... I have also been doing some thinking and researching RE> finding and maintaining balance following the Whole30, how I want to eat, when I want to try adding things in, what my longer term picture might look like. Appreciate your words and thoughts. Good luck with the big potential change at work.

@DonnaB - That kedgeree looks good, thx for sharing.

@ ecm2, cantknockhustle and others struggling - Please DO take the moderators up on their offer of reviewing your meals and other details... it can be SO helpful! Sometimes a small tweak makes all the difference. Also, I just chatted with someone on another thread who states she didn't start to see results until Day 44, after having a VERY tough 30 days... and she is feeling stoked she stuck it out for a little longer, as the Whole30 book recommends (there are also other ideas in the book for "Why it isn't working"... checking FODMAP stuff, etc. See pp. 130-131).

Good luck everyone, have the best day you can!

Happy Day 27 everyone! I'm heading to a friend's lake house for the weekend - which means I spent yesterday pulling together not only compliant meals for myself, but also potluck contributions for a separate function on Sunday (with a different group of friends). Even with all the planning and brain overload I'm excited and looking forward to time with friends, and I've practiced my one sentence answer to "Why aren't you drinking/snacking/eating what everyone else is"

I'll report back on Monday!!

Happy Day 28!! My weekend at the lake was great (except for my inability to apply sunscreen without missing random spots...). i had plenty to eat and while there were a few "oh, why not stop at 27 days & have a beer" comments, there were more "wow! 27 days! Keep going!" Which felt great.

Now I'm back home and covered in aloe vera, and approaching this week like it is Week 1 and not "the last two days". I plan to do a slow reintroduction but I'm in no real hurray to stop my momentum. I wouldn't mind a margarita at some point, though :)

I agree Efab, starting this week out just like "any other" with enough lunches ready to go.  If I continue in July I will have a lot more challenges than June as the first two weekends are packed with social stuff.  After the holidays I'm hosting a game weekend at my place and that's going to be really interesting if I'm not doing any kind of reintro yet.  Everyone coming has been really invested in my journey so they are all supportive, but can't say it won't be weird.  In my social circles, I'm the cook for sure, so when I host the event the games and the food are about equal!  It will be interesting to go back to the original emails we sent hashing out the menu and see if I can still make any of it work. 

Not sure why I'm worried, the "main course" after usually ends up being pots of black coffee, LOL!  My especial favorite all-night blend is called Piranha Bite for a reason.  We get so involved in the competition that we often game right through meals because no one wants to break at a crucial point.  I may have to set timers just to remember to pick up some protein on schedule.  However one of the people coming is the one who has been the most interested in what I'm doing so I need to set a good example.  Pffft. 

Well, it's been a long weekend...I was actually at work today, though I nearly never work weekends for as much as I work M-F there are a few exceptions each year and today was one of them.  Got through it, happily the site manager brought not just the usual piles of donuts but some fresh fruit as well so when things ran a bit late I had an option to supplement what I had tucked in my bag. 

Hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend and is ready to race across the finish line...even if we keep running after we tear through the ribbon it's a HUGE milestone and a first for most of us.  Maybe I will stay up just a bit later and start cutting some confetti just to be prepared.     

Oh I meant to share, my sister called last night after I left to inform me that I would always have a drink available at her house from now on.  I had left a couple of my La Croix for her to try, swearing this one was really sweet and even she would like it.  She said I should be very proud, it's clear my sugar dragon is annihilated because that "crap tastes like Alka-Seltzer and IS NOT SWEET!"

Well. hmph.  Fine.  I didn't want to share anyway. 

Sunday musings... *** If you just wanna read about Tiger Blood, scroll down. ***

Day 28. WOW!! How did this happen? SO exciting, YAY for us! I'm looking fwd to hearing everyone's Day 31 reports (assuming you will post them, please post them..?!). Weigh-ins, measurements and such, ok whatever, I will do that if you guys do.... but I just think it will be fun to list every NSV I can possibly think of. (BTW, there is a lengthy list of NSV's on pp. 43-44 of the Whole30 book, great reading!).

I have decided to keep eating this way into the foreseeable future, and especially to see where another 30-60 days will get me... will just do a few re-introductions in July to see if I can "get regular" again, lol. I don't know if any of you have had #2 problems on this journey, but it is no fun! Wondering if adding small amounts of insoluble fiber from quinoa or rice will help...

OMGoddess, I discovered EPIC bars today. Meat jerky without added crap! So portable and delicious (waaay better emergency grub than Larabars or Rx, but a combo of both could really work). They will help solve my upcoming 10-day-camping-with-no-refridgeration-meat-storage problem. I also discovered Coconut Aminos recently (super yum), made the "No-Fuss Salmon Cakes", and am getting down with veggie fritter recipes. With this constant unfolding of new things to discover, why wouldn't I want to keep going for awhile...?!

Now, about that TIGER BLOOD: Holy WOW!! Yes friends, I have finally had some Tiger Blood (three episodes in the last few days, actually)... and let me tell you, it was worth the wait. And I want to keep eating this way so I can enjoy some more! It came out of the blue and lasted a few hours each time. It feels like "Do ALL of The Things!!", but not in a manic overly-busy way, just in a full-tilt (yet grounded) supercharged awesome energy kind of way. It was definitely groovy and calm at the same time... hard to explain. I could do MORE if there was stuff to get done, or do LESS and just revel in the comfort of being in my own skin if there was down time. I could breathe more deeply and felt more connected to everything. When I was in the middle of it, my brain kept defaulting to thoughts like, "Life is SO GOOD!"... "I love being me, I feel so so happy."... "Everything is totally ok, no... BETTER than ok, everything is a-m-a-z-i-n-g (grin)". I was more friendly to strangers, more bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, more clear-headed, more focused, more positive, more ALIVE. You want to feel some of this, my friends... it is the bomb.

[As a side note, I was eating a pretty healthy/clean (but not Paleo) diet pre-Whole30, stayed active, was not overweight or suffering from chronic disease, and never smoked, drank alcohol, OR drank coffee (I know, I am a freak of nature in that regard). I did have a snack habit, but could always put the brakes on, and usually leaned toward fruits, nuts and dark chocolate rather than Twinkies and Ho-Hos.] 

So, my dear Whole30 pals... a few more days here and then... should we start another thread for our "Post30" journey? Whattaya say?  

Can't believe it's Day 29 already - several observations up to this point:

1. I made it through a wedding, didn't drink, ate a modest amount of compliant foods (even worked with the staff to make sure my steak was compliant plus ate some dinner before hand so I wouldn't be starving through the whole event) and had a ton of fun dancing - which, p.s., this was hands down the best live band at a wedding I've ever been to!

2. I'm actually learning to cook - anyone that knows me, and most certainly before I met my husband, knows that my idea of cooking was ordering in. I'm still not able to do much and I'm totally apprehensive about working with meats but even something as simple as preparing vegetables was an ominous task for me before starting this journey and now I'm doing all of my chopping the night before so my mornings are much easier to prepare breakfast.

3. I didn't intend to go into this to eliminate coffee from my diet - I used to drink 1 cup per day with whole milk but a few days before Day 1 I just simply skipped it and then continued to skip it for the rest of the month. I realized I miss the experience of coffee - the warm cup in the morning, the activity of being still and mentally preparing for the day. I've never been into meditation/yoga but I'm contemplating trying it out to get a similar effect.

4. The transition to Whole30 really didn't end up being a big deal for me. I had been slowly eliminating off-plan items in the weeks leading up so I never experienced withdrawals. I was feeling GREAT for most of the first 3 weeks. Then around Day 21 I crashed...hard. And I haven't felt that great since. I've posted my meals, habits, exercise routines etc. and there really hasn't been any feedback on things I'm doing wrong so I've just been sticking to the plan. But honestly, I'm exhausted. I could barely get my head up off the pillow this morning. I've had some digestive issues start to creep back in. Muscle aches, joint pain...it all seems to be coming back with a vengeance. It's been 8 days now like this. I came to this program with a plethora of health issues and, while I have seen some improvements and was teased with 3 weeks of normal energy levels, it is rather disappointing to be approaching the last few days and feeling close to how I did when I started the program. It's more than disappointing, it's down right frustrating. I'm curious what my blood work will show from Day 31. 

5. BUT...people are noticing the weight loss (whatever I'm at right now). I feel good about going to the gym - it's a priority for me. I'm throttled due to an achilles tendon injury just before kicking off the Whole30 and I'm itching to kick things up a notch again but I'm trying to be patient to give my ankle time to heal.

I forgot last night to share one other chuckle from the weekend...the area I was in on Sunday was an area that required us to don scrubs.  Since I was basically a visitor, that meant borrowing some from the communal locker.  The guy showing me around went to unlock the shelves for size small which delighted me to no end.  :wub:

I will also admit, I was even more delighted when they were out of that size and I didn't need to break it to him that I wasn't quite so sure....

I'm absolutely all in for a continued thread.  I won't be able to post "numbers" for July 1, but I might find something else fun to post to celebrate. 

One of the things I want to finish for myself before Wednesday is a list of "keepers"...these are things that I found during June that I'm for sure keeping no matter how the next few weeks go or what I decide to do after.  That might be another topic we could kick off our post-June conversation with.  Just as an example one of mine is that I've found I like a drizzle of avocado oil on nearly everything I used to put butter on just as well and sometimes better.  When I add bread back in, I'm not so sure that will hold up to the test, but for vegetables and potatoes it's a keeper. 

Thoughts from the weekend.

Just a few.

1. Don't go to Costco and then Whole Foods to shop if you haven't eaten lunch.  The smells of the foods

at both places drove me crazy. Told my husband for the first time to hurry up and lets leave. New for

me I like to browse.

2.  Has anyone looked at their tongue? I did and I was amaze, my tongue is now a healthy pink!

3.  I have been caffeine free till yesterday when I had a few sips of black coffee. I been having coffee with

skim milk and sweet & low for 40 years and now I liked the taste of black coffee. I felt that kitty   

blood coming on.    

Have a great day everyone.  (new washer and dryer just arrived)

@Whole Sue - Loved reading your update, congrats on your successes so far!

@Crimsann - I haven't tried Avocado Oil yet, liked your review... can't wait to get some. Another new thing to try, YAY!!

@lostincolo - WOW, I have a sexy beast tongue too! Awesome!!

Can you tell I have Tiger Blood AGAIN today??!! So many exclamation points, lol!!

@Crimsann I'm a big avocado oil fan too. I can't believe I've gone so many years without it! I also really like making my own dressings and prefer the avocado oil for the basic mayo recipe.

Not sure I'll be able to do it in mayo for a while yet, that was what I used in my first attempt and it all went horribly wrong so it's in my head as bad...but maybe I will try it in salad dressings.  It's been winning me over in other ways ever since that first weekend no question about it.   Which salad dressing do you like it best in?  Quick recipe you can share? 

Ditto, can't believe it is day 29. Now that I have got this far I don't want to stop, it feels right for my body and my mind.

I am not expecting to lose lots of weight, as I was quite slim to start with, but will be happy to share on day 31. I know I have lost inches from the troubling 'widest part' between the waist and the hips!

For me the best thing about this way of eating is not feeling hungry in the way I used to. I was literally hungry all the time and got really cranky if I didn't have a small amount of chocolate every day.

Not sure I'll be able to do it in mayo for a while yet, that was what I used in my first attempt and it all went horribly wrong so it's in my head as bad...but maybe I will try it in salad dressings.  It's been winning me over in other ways ever since that first weekend no question about it.   Which salad dressing do you like it best in?  Quick recipe you can share? 

I really like the cilantro-lime dressing from the Whole30 book - I use it with everything from salads to burgers - just love it!

I also had a happy accident with the Raspberry Vinegarette when my husband used blackberries instead - I used it with the salad in the Whole30 book.

I just want to say to all of the June 1sters!

Good Job! Way to Go!!

I want to encourage all of us to keep going and forge ahead!!

I am feeling better and I have decided to go the 45!  We have a roadtrip and weekend concert the middle of July, that I want to feel good for, and I am already deciding what food and how I will handle the "food situations" that may arise!

We have a family reunion this weekend and I am so ready to NOT eat the junk I usually do at these things!

I am hosting family that will be supportive and they will eat whatever I cook...they are wonderful house guests!!

My husband has been absolutely wonderful when he sits down to eat our meals, always excited for the new flavors and foods that are in front of him!

I am excited because of the boldness that I am experiencing when we eat out...asking for just what I want...and being kind and friendly as I do...Restaraunts do mind...and they are even offering breadless sandwiches on the menus!

So...ONWARD!!!

Archived