Start date June 1

Elissa W

I'm feeling extremely bloated and bleh today. Digestion is not the best (which is a huge euphemism). :(

Do you have a food log? Or would you like to post a few days worth of food liquid intake? It could be that you're eating too many cruciferous veg, or too much raw veg... Or it could be too many nuts - all of which are hard on the digestive system. Or it could just be that you need some kind of fermented foods or a digestive enzyme - especially if this is a new way of eating for you.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

Today I noticed bouts of dizziness.... and anger. Anyone else feeling this way? I do not feel like it had anything to do food either. Had breakfast a little late but satisfied with what I ate. Other than that everything was fine. 

So I guess the question is anyone else getting dizzy? or Grumpy?

Definitely more easily irritated. I have a 5 year old who isn't in school yet and I feel like hiding from her because she makes little noises (like when her toys "walk" she bangs them on the coffee table) all day and they are wearing me thin. I wouldn't say that I am full on dizzy, but I definitely feel a bit wobbly headed off and on. I suffer from occasional vertigo anyway so I just kind of expected to have a few wobbly spells.

Hi all,

FINALLY got a good nights sleep last night!!  I've been sleeping horribly since I started this Whole30 .... completely unrelated to the program (snoring husband, stress etc!)  Came home from work, ate dinner and went straight to bed.  Slept 11 hours straight.  I feel so much better today  :)

Yesterday was a real "sweet" struggle at work.  We have so many goodies and after a stressful day on Tuesday, I really wanted to throw in the towel.  I was talking myself in and out of giving up.  "Already did a Whole30 ... don't have to do another one ... what's one day ... I deserve it ...blah blah blah"

What kept me on the straight and narrow was my rule to not decide to give up in the moment.  Must sleep on it.  Told myself if I get up in morning and still want to stop, I can.  This saved me a number of times from making a disappointing, rash decision last Whole30.  And, of course, morning comes and my cravings are gone and I'm so relieved I didn't stuff my face with candy!!

Now I'm off for a few days!  Yea!!  Need to do some serious food prep ... the frig is looking bare! 

Happy to be continuing on ... day 6 ...

What kept me on the straight and narrow was my rule to not decide to give up in the moment.  Must sleep on it.  Told myself if I get up in morning and still want to stop, I can.  This saved me a number of times from making a disappointing, rash decision last Whole30.  And, of course, morning comes and my cravings are gone and I'm so relieved I didn't stuff my face with candy!!

What a great plan! Glad you didn't cave :)

Good morning!! I started on the 1st, jumping in on all the love and support!!

Already got a lot of good advice reading what you all have posted so far. Definitely needed a bigger breakfast! Tried that today, we'll see how I feel about 10:30 when my "hungries" usually attack.

Here is to an awesome Day 4 Everyone!!

Morning check in!  You guys are like my coffee break now.  Co-worker is out again today, so it's another full load which will keep me too busy to think much about it and since I do a lot of training it means I have to put my "encouraging" face on instead of my "raging" face.  Such a shame, my kill all the things days are going to be totally wasted.  ::pout, pout:: 

I am still feeling okay, but I did notice yesterday that I look tired.  I can't even pinpoint what exactly but when I glanced up in the mirror I sort of winced.  Maybe the first couple days are taking a toll I'm just not acknowledging so much consciously.  I can be the Cleopatra though so that makes some sense.  (Cleopatra, Queen of Denial)

No cravings so far, but I am spending today seriously thinking about the weekend...what are going to be my most likely pitfalls when I don't have the structure of my long workdays and what are my emergency plans.  I'm looking forward to having the time to actually cook things, and prepping for next week, but there are probably going to be one or two meals that need to happen more spontaneously...unless I sleep straight through Saturday. 

I spend a lot of time on the weekends helping my baby sister with her baby.  Her husband works nights so getting the 18-month out of the house during the day is a key to everyone's happiness and now that she is pregnant again it can be more than she can handle to run around the playground.  Great built in exercise, but crazy unpredictable on where I will be when and what food might be around.  I'm aiming to not leave the house without at least one meal packed.  That should help prevent the need to snack or try to compile a meal on the fly. 

The Hardest Thing will be avoiding my adorable niece who enjoys nothing more than feeding her "ti-ti" some of her bunny fruit snacks.  She can be quite insistent about it so probably won't understand if I run screaming and will just give chase.  Ah well, more built in exercise!

Also huge celebration for me, our local Whole Foods just opened this week.  I used to drive nearly three hours to the closest one when I wanted some treats so having one a block away from my work is like....it brings tears.  We have several healthy markets, but none really large enough to stock as much variety.  I think the newness of having them so close is going to be a life-saver in preventing food boredom.

Day 4! It's going great so far, and I feel satisfied with what I'm eating. I'm following the 7 day meal plan in the Whole30 book. My only complaint is I feel like all I'm doing is cooking and washing dishes (aka loading and unloading the dishwasher)! I'm a SAHM or 2 kids and my husband works from home, so there are plates and bowls constantly, plus all the pots, pans, knives, cutting boards, food processor, Tupperware, etc. Anyone else find this a little draining?

Thank you so much!! It is all about the "Self-talk" Crimsann!

In college I had the metabolism of a hummingbird! Lunch was a diet pepsi and a snicker's bar. We are talking deep habits! Needed a powerful image to conquer a powerful foe!

..and by the way - I learned this morning that you can change your alias up to 3x a month.

Wouldn't it be fun if we all had a super hero alter ego on here?? :D 

• Administrators

Yesterday was a real "sweet" struggle at work.  We have so many goodies and after a stressful day on Tuesday, I really wanted to throw in the towel.  I was talking myself in and out of giving up.  "Already did a Whole30 ... don't have to do another one ... what's one day ... I deserve it ...blah blah blah"

Intense cravings for sweets can also be linked to lack of sleep.....just so you know. ;)  Good job on staying strong and giving your body what it actually needed.  Sleep.

Hey all! Day 4 and I'm cruising along fine. I think I'm going to run my meals by the Troubleshooting boards just to make sure I'm not making any mistakes because I really want to see great results from doing this. That said...

I actually feel good. I'm less bloated (and, of course, I hit that time of the month on day 1...go figure) and I'm standing a little taller. I've been picking mostly recipes from the Whole30 book and using the leftovers for lunches the next day. Breakfast usually consists of several hard boiled eggs, bacon, some sort of veg (today was a bag of raw carrots) and half an avocado (though, admittedly, today I ran out of time and skipped the avocado and had to eat the carrots on the road). I also drink a small bottle of Harmless Harvest coconut water. Rest of the day I just drink water or seltzer. I actually didn't intend to cut out coffee but I haven't had any all week so I'm just going to keep running without it.

Right before this kicked off I injured my Achilles Tendon and was out of the gym for two weeks. I just started back this week to keep myself moving even if I'm only focusing on upper body and core exercises - at least it's something!

I haven't really experienced any intense cravings. I will say that walking down the street from my office there are tons of temptations and the smell is enticing but I think I am just so determined right now to make a huge difference in my health that it's simply not bothering me enough to even consider for more than a passing second. For me, I've been battling with my health on and off for so many years that I've just had enough and I've been mentally preparing to do this for a while. The time is right.

I also have to give credit to my husband - I did as much prep as I could over the weekend but he is the rockstar in the kitchen (I am so not a good cook) and he's been making sure that all of my food has been ready every day this week. In fact, last night I came home from the gym, 2 out of 3 kids were in bed and he was cooking up burgers for me to take to work today! He's amazing and I'm so so lucky to have his support right now. 

i'm a little bit ahead of you guys since i started may 30. i guess i can give you all hope that it will get better in a few days :)

or not... i did have my first sweets craving today... really wanted a pastry this morning after breakfast BUT that was just because i was sleepy. i got some black coffee and have a little bit (caffiene has been super powerful on me since starting) and evened out. no more sweets craving at all.

i haven't been able to work up the energy to exercise much and i'd really like to get back into it.

right now i'm just gonna focus on one thing at time... whole 30 right now and exercise is a secondary. hoping by the end of whole30, i'm in a better exercise habit.

i can't believe how much food i'm eating tho. i ran out of sweet potatoes and i seriously did not think that was possible because i bought two ENORMOUS ones. but ground turkey and sweet potato with coconut oil has been the one thing i can eat any time, it fills the hole that mac and cheese used to fill. except i stop eating when i'm full instead of just plowing through the whole box!

i've had a lot of personal stress lately so it helped to have a meal that was both comfort-food and healthy.

i just ordered some natural calm and some nick's sticks. those should arrive saturday (thanks Amazon Prime!)

i'm actually looking forward to grocery shopping this week. i'm gonna try to find some compliant sausage around here and try some spaghetti squash with sausage and tomatos and spinach and olive oil. yum yum.

..and by the way - I learned this morning that you can change your alias up to 3x a month.

Wouldn't it be fun if we all had a super hero alter ego on here?? :D 

I love this idea!   I won't change my name though because I will let you in on a little secret, it kind of is my alter ego.  In my spare time, I do a fair bit of gaming, and that's the name I use most often.  I can't do this until I get home tonight, but for fun I will see if I can post a picture of one of my newest characters who goes by Crimsann.   She would definitely qualify as a super hero/dragon slayer and she is so over the top and fun that I'm totally going to use her as my visualization for battling sugar cravings from now on.  For one thing, being a fantasy game, she doesn't look like she has ever lost a sugar battle in her life!

As my friends and I would say, she is a complete "bad tush" and just picturing her taking on the sugar dragon is going to be something I can really work with, I will be so busy laughing I will forget what I thought I wanted.  You never know what will inspire someone, I bet half of us are mentally donning capes and drawing swords today!

i think by day 28 you'll probably be pretty good at not having cravings and such. i mean it will be hard to turn down some champagne, but they're bough to have fizzy water they can put in a flute for you. there will be other people who can't drink due to medications or choice as well.

as for food, it's most likely being catered. you can ask for the caterer's info. depending on food regulations, they may be allowed to store food you have brought yourself and serve that to you when the rest of the table is served. or they can go grab it for you if it's buffet style.

i've heard of people doing this for other dietary restrictions just so they didn't have to feel like a nuisance or run the risk of someone not knowing nightshade or nuts or whatever was in the mix.

just dont make a big deal out of it and you'll be fine :)

pretend the cake is poison haha!  which it is, all full of sugar and grossness.

and a wedding is a time for a new start - this your new start for yourself!!! you don't need cake or chicken alfredo to mark the occassion!

We are leaving to go camping tomorrow for a couple of days with friends who have 3 kids. We've camped together before, and usually we combine our menus, but this time we are not, largely due to W30. Our friends family has two members that are gluten-intolerant, so it seemed like enough for them to address that and not add our additional restrictions during W30 to their plans. Just thinking about our own menus is enough for me, without trying to think of what the kids might like. They are generally not fussy kids, but I want camping to be fun for them, too, and being hungry is NOT fun. The one thing that will be missing for us is the sweet treats that I sometimes bake like zucchini bread and rhubarb crunch, but we will be fine.

Hello all!  I didn't find time to jump on the board here and introduce myself, but I also started on June 1.  I started reading "It all starts with Food" on May 30 and just decided I needed to go for it right away.  There is something about starting off on the first of a month, and a 30 day month at that! lol!  

I am a 35 year old mother of 3 flying solo, though hubby is refraining from the more obvious junk, cookies, chips, ice cream ect. this month, so that is helpful.  I didn't put the kids on either because this is my first experience with whole 30 and I kind of have to see it's benefits for myself before I would change a thing for my kids.  :)  We eat healthy compared to most Americans, but once you look at this book your idea of healthy changes, you know?  

Anyway, day 4, still at it.  I signed up for the daily emails and there is something about clicking that link at the end of the day that I succeeded, as opposed to saying I didn't make it and have to start over, that has been really helpful.  

Rachel

i was skeptical of paying for those emails, but i too find it helpful to click that link .

it's my own accountability.

even if nothing else in the email matters to me, i konw that i paid for those emails and that i want to get my money's worth and that means i better clicking the "i did it!" link every day. not to mention all the money on food i'm spending!  it makes me remember i've put a lot of my resources into this - time, effort, and money!

"Question for the pros who've done this before - if you don't experience a lot of the negative side effects during the first week or so, does that mean you are doing something wrong? Or could it mean that it's just not as severe for your body? I'm trying to gauge where I'm at right now."

I haven't done W30 before either, but I am also not experiencing any real side effects.  I ran 5 miles yesterday in an average time even.  Last night I wanted something sweet, but it was only out of habit (and seeing some homemade goodies that were stashed in the freezer - I am flying solo, family still wants them)

I, too, wondered about maybe having done something wrong, but after looking over my foods for the past 3 days I cannot find anything non-compliant.  I think the way I ate before has a lot to do with it.  Plus I seriously took the advice I've seen on the boards and in the book about making sure to get enough fat and not treating fruit like it's bad.  Not over-doing, but still enjoying some.

Archived