Day 5: Sugar cravings, fatigue, and ready to quit! :(

I am on day 5, and its been going pretty well, however, I didn't pack enough food for lunch (at work), and I'm starving.  All we have here at work is a vending machine with chocolate chip cookies, soda, and kit kat bars... which are all looking mighty tempting right about now.  I know, poor planning on my part.  Tomorrow I will make sure to bring a bigger lunch.  However, for today, I'm simply trying to stay the course until I can get home and eat a good dinner.  So, my question is what do you do when you find yourself seriously craving some sugary snacks?  I am handling it better than I thought I would be able to, but right now...I'm tired and cranky and want some sugar. Help!  

Try a distraction technique - go for a walk to clear your head (preferably outdoors), wash some dishes, sort through & file emails, have a drink of water, do some filing.... 

Cravings are faux hunger and tend to pass fairly quickly - stay strong & stay focused on your end goal!

• Administrators

I am on day 5, and its been going pretty well, however, I didn't pack enough food for lunch (at work), and I'm starving.  All we have here at work is a vending machine with chocolate chip cookies, soda, and kit kat bars... which are all looking mighty tempting right about now.  I know, poor planning on my part.  Tomorrow I will make sure to bring a bigger lunch.  However, for today, I'm simply trying to stay the course until I can get home and eat a good dinner.  So, my question is what do you do when you find yourself seriously craving some sugary snacks?  I am handling it better than I thought I would be able to, but right now...I'm tired and cranky and want some sugar. Help!  

You won't starve.  It might not feel very good but you'll make it.  Drink some water, make some tea even.  You're craving sugary snacks because your body is low on fuel and is still used to burning readily available fuel in the form of "carbage".  

We don't recommend fruit alone but if someone is willing to answer your groans of starvation with an apple or a plum or some such thing, have that. Better by a mile than anything that comes in a vending machine.  ;)

When you get all satisfied after dinner, pop over to the grocery store and pick up a couple cans of sardines or canned salmon/tuna (always read ingredients) and leave them and a fork in your desk drawer, just in case.  But....I bet you won't forget this lesson, eat more!  :)

You'll be alright.  It's not worth tossing the first 5 days over!

Yes, these comments are spot on! You won't starve! I am on Day 29 of my first Whole30, and I had many moments where I thought I was starving, but after a nice bottle of water or some nice hot tea, I realized I wasn't dying.  :) You are in the toughest of days, and to not have eaten enough might be pushing you over the edge, but please DON'T FALL! Once you get home and eat something Whole30 compliant you will feel so good and so proud of yourself. These battles are great for testing your strength and proving to yourself that your willpower triumphs over food! And stocking your desk drawer is a great idea. Some cashews/almonds or canned fish are great options that will save you in times like these. And do not be afraid to over eat/over pack. My first week, I packed lunches like if I was a lumberjack, and even though I had a lot of leftovers, I was able to test the waters of my appetite and minimize my meals to smaller portions as the days have gone by as opposed to learning the hard way and having to upsize my meals instead. You got this girlfriend!!!  

• Administrators

My first week, I packed lunches like if I was a lumberjack, and even though I had a lot of leftovers, I was able to test the waters of my appetite and minimize my meals to smaller portions as the days have gone by as opposed to learning the hard way and having to upsize my meals instead. You got this girlfriend!!!  

I totally forgot I used to do this!  I used to pack more food than I would eat because I was dealing with trying to get over some long standing food anxiety.  I kept a hard boiled egg and an apple in the fridge at work that I never, ever ate and I packed larger portions and then just took the leftovers home and treated the dog.  

I called it my panic apple and my emergency egg.  Never ended up eating either of them but kept bringing them until I got to the point where I felt comfortable not having "back up" food and then I let them go one at a time.  Good times.  ;)

I kept a hard boiled egg and an apple in the fridge at work that I never, ever ate and I packed larger portions and then just took the leftovers home and treated the dog.  

I called it my panic apple and my emergency egg.  Never ended up eating either of them but kept bringing them until I got to the point where I felt comfortable not having "back up" food and then I let them go one at a time.  Good times.   ;)

I love it!

This is the technique that helped me quit smoking in 1987.

Archived