If you drank a lot of coffee/soda before whole30...

Did you gradually cut down before you started or did you go cold turkey?

I currently drink nothing but soda and I'm not sure what the best move is. I've had terrible headaches when I've tried to cut it out in the past. I also have a terrible sweet tooth clearly.  -_-

• Administrators

Did you gradually cut down before you started or did you go cold turkey?

I currently drink nothing but soda and I'm not sure what the best move is. I've had terrible headaches when I've tried to cut it out in the past. I also have a terrible sweet tooth clearly.  -_-

Yipes, you are probably going to go through some withdrawals.  Drink a LOT of water.  Eat a lot of starchy veggies to counteract the sugar withdrawal.  Take naps, meditate if that's your thing.  Be strong, you aren't the first and you won't be the last, you can totally do this!

Regular or Diet Soda....go Cold Turkey. 

I wish it were diet! That might not be quite as bad.  :lol: Thank you for the advice!

Yipes, you are probably going to go through some withdrawals.  Drink a LOT of water.  Eat a lot of starchy veggies to counteract the sugar withdrawal.  Take naps, meditate if that's your thing.  Be strong, you aren't the first and you won't be the last, you can totally do this!

To make things even worse, my username is 100% accurate. I drink soda every day because I don't like the taste of water, tea or coffee. Hopefully I'll find some way to make the water more appealing. 

I'm also terrible with vegetables and only like three or four that could be considered starchy. I'm hoping I'll discover more when I'm making a conscious effort to find them. 

Thank you for the support! It really means a lot. I know very little about nutrition so knowing ways to counteract the withdrawal at least a little is really, really helpful.  :)

• Administrators

To make things even worse, my username is 100% accurate. I drink soda every day because I don't like the taste of water, tea or coffee. Hopefully I'll find some way to make the water more appealing. 

I'm also terrible with vegetables and only like three or four that could be considered starchy. I'm hoping I'll discover more when I'm making a conscious effort to find them. 

Thank you for the support! It really means a lot. I know very little about nutrition so knowing ways to counteract the withdrawal at least a little is really, really helpful.  :)

Uh oh, you are a candidate for our "tough love, suck it up, buttercup".  :D  You more than likely dislike the taste of water because your mouth is waiting for the super sweet rush of sugar.  You can try livening up plain water by tossing some lemon or lime in it, maybe some cucumber or even try infusing a jug of water with apples or raspberries.  As you come off the chemicals and sugar of soda, you are probably going to have to force yourself to drink water even if it's somewhat nauseating.  Just keep reminding yourself that this chemical concoction designed by food scientists is the reason that you are turned off of water.  Biologically, no human resists water unless there has been an overriding message to their brain. It's time to get your messages back in line!  :)

I'm happy to read that you are open minded to think that if you make an effort with the veggies, you could learn to like them, that's an awesome first step.  The next step is to stop allowing "picky eater" to be any part of your definition of yourself.  Thoughts are reality.  Change your reality.

"I used to not like very many veggies but I'm going to work hard to find ways to prepare them that I like"

"I had a hard time with veggies when my tastebuds were on overdrive with sugar and processed foods but that should level out soon"

Try taking some veggies like green beans, carrots, onion, baby potatoes, brocoli and beets, cutting them all into approx 1" cubes, toss in fat and roast them in the oven at 435 for about 20 minutes.  The natural sugars in them will caramelize and they will have a crispy exterior and creamy interior.  You can try sauteing things like green beans or thinly sliced carrots and then toss them in some sesame oil and some ginger when they are done. 

There are about a zillion ways to prepare most veggies and they are not all equal.  Boiling anything is going to leave it less than desirable.  Steaming or sauteeing or roasting will give you a better taste.  Cauliflower for example can be riced, roasted, mashed, steamed and sauteed.  I detest roasted cauliflower but I cannot get enough riced or mashed.

I wish it were diet! That might not be quite as bad.  :lol: Thank you for the advice!

There are TONS of different flavors of tea out there and even the same type of tea (like Earl Grey or English Breakfast) can vary in taste from one brand to another. There are some varities that I love when hot, but taste like dishwater when cold. Do some experimenting. If I'm not drinking orange pekoe, then I like to have hibiscus tea over ice--it's got a little zing and it's kind of fruity.

Regular or Diet Soda....go Cold Turkey. 

Agreed!  I used to drink diet Coke all day long.  Literally.  Even up until bedtime.  The first week I struggled with nodding off at work and took some Tylenol for a few days for the headaches, and then I was fine!  You will be too.  :)

Take heart, pickyeater!  I was the same way before my first Whole30 (September of last year).  For three months prior, I even had the nerve to say I was following a Paleo diet while drinking diet Coke all day!  I like water now, and surprisingly, I also like tea and coffee now that I don't have the sickening sweet taste of soda flowing through my body all day long. 

I have an idea.  This works with kids who are picky eaters.   Try getting hungry.  You've been drinking your calories and the sugary soda pop hit has curbed your natural appetite for food.  

Without the soda, you'll get hungry.   When you're hungry, your tastes for food will change.  Get hungry and try a piece of cauliflower - tell me how it tastes then.   Yep, this works with kids who've been given too many snacks instead of meals.    You'll start being hungry for meals instead of soda.   ;) 

One tea that works great hot/cold and is naturally on the sweeter is the Good Earth Spicy and Sweet. It's totally helping me get through craving something "sweet" to drink. Available in both regular and decaf and at most grocery stores. Hope it helps!

I switched from Diet Coke to plain iced tea for the Whole30. That might taste bitter to you, though. I found that Celestial Seasonings carries a Cold Brew iced tea (you just put a teabag or two in water and let it steep for 5 minutes). Because of the raspberries it has a sweet taste even though there's no added sugar. That might be something to try for around the house.

Good luck with your Whole30. As my yoga teacher would say when we struggled with a pose, "You have a lot of potential!"  ;)

I used to go through multiple tins of diet coke before my first whole30 and giving it up cold turkey was tough...but one of the best things I have ever done for my health.

Now I'm addicted to fizzy water with a slice of lemon instead ;)

It is going to be hard but it will make a difference to your life x

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I was a Coke Zero addict.  It was bad.  4+ liters a day... eek.  I had the same problem (still do...) where I just do not like water.  I'd rather be thirsty than drink it.  The only time I want water is after working out.  I went cold turkey for good about 3 years ago.  I too was paleo + coke zero.  It was stupid.  I finally just decided that there were just too many chemicals in soda for me.  If I was going to pay $10 for grassfed beef I sure as hell shouldn't wash it down with Coke Zero.  I switched to seltzer - I do buy the flavored kinds (no other ingredients besides "natural" flavor... whatever that means).  I also purchased a soda stream and when I make that I'll add about 1-2 tbsp of OJ per liter for just a little flavor.  Now I go through phases where the seltzer flavors taste too artificial and all I want is my homemade type or swing the other way and only want Polar's grapefruit flavor :)  So it is possible.  Just decide.  No back-sies :)

I'm a sweet tea addict.  When I'm not drinking it, I have to go cold turkey. None of the unsweetened teas, because it's SWYPO for me.  I just keep wanting my "real" tea.  LOL  I also don't like the flavor of water...duh...because it's not sweet tea. ;)  So instead, I drop some orange slices in a container of water, or chopped apple.  Haven't tried cucumber yet, but it's on my list.  I've also used small pineapple chunks in my water.  It doesn't have to be much...just enough to give the water a slight flavor.

I'm also learning to enjoy Kombucha.  Just something that's different from water.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel your pain... but please know it's temporary! For decades I drank 6-8 cups of coffee (with cream & artificial sweetener) in the morning and diet coke all afternoon. All afternoon. Like a 6 pk a day. A year or so ago, I gave up the soda. Traded it for sweet tea! Certainly no improvement. In preparation for my first W30, I stopped putting sweetener in my tea. Then my coffee. Creamer was replaced by a splash of coconut milk. You know what I found out? I don't really like coffee! The first week was hard. But then, I began to miss it less & less. Try some new things! I have always disliked plain water, too.  But a squeeze of lime juice in your water helps. Or infuse a pitcher of water with berries. Try kombucha. Just remember, you're stronger than you think you are!

Someone mentioned Celestial Seasonings raspberry tea being sweet/fruity. If it tastes sweet and fruity, it's not made from raspberry leaves. Raspberry leaves make a wonderful medicinal/restorative tea, especially for women, but they taste nothing like raspberries! True raspberry tea tastes like black tea, with no caffeine. That sweetness in commercial raspberry tea comes from flavorings, which are almost always questionable.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a HUGE soda drinker before I started Whole30. I'd get a large mtn dew in the mornings from the gas station and one on the way home at nights. It was pretty much my only beverage(besides coffee with milk and sugar in it)

I dropped both of those cold turkey when I started Whole30. First few days were very difficult, and in many ways painful....like a true detox from drugs. I'm on day 12 now however and I feel amazing! It's not easy to quite cold turkey but it can be done!

Archived