fruit for breakfast

sasandbe

I'm only on Day 2 and I was wondering if it was a dealbreaker to just have a piece of fruit for breakfast. I'm keeping the amount of fruit I eat in a day down to 2 servings or less (I pre-planned my meals for the week) but my stomach's just not in a good enough place yet to eat a heavy, protein-filled breakfast without getting sick. I'd keep working towards eating a proper breakfast, of course, but for now, is this okay?

• Administrators

It's not a "deal breaker" but you are doing yourself a disservice, 100%.  More than likely the reason that you feel sick at the idea of eating a breakfast composed of protein, veggies and fat is because you haven't been doing it.  Fruit is more like the carb background (cereal, toast, waffles, pancakes, muffins, breakfast cookies etc) that you might've come from. 

Consider though that after sleeping all night and waking fasted, the first thing you are going to give your body is a load of sugar.  And nothing else.  That spikes your blood sugar and leads to volatile energy not to mention that there is nothing in fruit that is going to keep you going for 4-5 hours which is the goal for duration between meals.

Instead of opting out of your template meal, we recommend building a proper meal as per our template (linked below) and containing protein, veggies and fat.  Eat as much as you can, even if that is one or two bites.  Wrap it up and take it with you and eat from it again as soon as you are able.  Over time this is a better way to train your body to take in proper nutrients.  Otherwise you'll be trying to train your body to eat protein by eating fruits.  Doesn't make sense.  ;)

Nausea and food aversion in the morning can also be a sign of elevated cortisol (a stress hormone). The best way to bring down the cortisol is a good hit of protein and fat. It's the exact thing that your body doesn't seem to want first thing in the morning, but it's the exact thing that it needs.

I've had the same battle with eating in the morning. On weekends, I often wake-up hungry (after I've woken up naturally without an alarm), but during the week, I have to make myself eat. It gets easier to keep eating after you get past the first bite, but you probably won't be excited about those first few bites of food. Personally, I avoid eggs for breakfast most days because the thought of them makes me want to gag. I do a lot of chicken or pork and sometimes seafood. I don't do heavy fat at breakfast time--about a tablespoon of coconut oil and that's it.

Persevere, it can take some time!

Before my first Whole 30 I ate breakfast basically never for the same reason you stated. It was a struggle to start but after some time got easier and now for the past nearly three years I am HUNGRY when I get up in the morning and eat a full plate of food. You can do it!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Is it OK to eat fruit along with the protein, fat and veggies? I read we should eat our fruit with meals and I like a little fruit with breakfast and dinner. Shouldn't I be eating it then? If not, when?

Yes, it's okay to eat fruit along with your meal of protein, fat, and veggies -- that's exactly when you should eat it.

Some people find that fruit with breakfast leaves them craving sweet stuff later in the day, so if you notice that your cravings are continuing to be strong, you might want to try moving that serving to lunch, but if it doesn't bother you, then there's no reason not to have it along with your breakfast.

• Moderators

Is it OK to eat fruit along with the protein, fat and veggies? I read we should eat our fruit with meals and I like a little fruit with breakfast and dinner. Shouldn't I be eating it then? If not, when?

As Shannon said, yes, it is fine to eat fruit along with your meal.

But, you asked "Shouldn't I be eating it then?"

The answer is, you don't need to eat any fruit. You may eat it, but you are not missing any nutrients that you won't be getting from veggies. There is no fruit that is more nutritious than veggies. So don't eat less veggies in order to squeeze in fruit. Make sense?

Keep up the good work!

I've had the same "dawn phenomenon" and still get it at stressful times. I wake up at 6 but don't feel like eating until 8. Usually I brew a cup of green tea first thing in the morning which helps the feeling settle, and pack my breakfast with me, just like I do my lunch, and then eat it around 730/8 when my stomach stops doing flips.

I've had the same "dawn phenomenon" and still get it at stressful times. I wake up at 6 but don't feel like eating until 8. Usually I brew a cup of green tea first thing in the morning which helps the feeling settle, and pack my breakfast with me, just like I do my lunch, and then eat it around 730/8 when my stomach stops doing flips.

Eating within 1/2 hour of waking will help your hormones get into balance and help eliminate this issue. Try it, even if just a few bites to start. 

• 11 months later...

Would eating a serving (2TBS) of almond butter first thing in the AM before a workout be an acceptable way to get the metabolism going while not weighing you down?  Followed, of course, by a more substantial meal post-workout?

Due to time constraints and a diagnosis of gastroparesis, eating a meal right before a workout is very uncomfortable for me. 

• Administrators

Fat & protein is the recommendation or at least one of these. So, that means that almond butter would technically stand in effectively. But........if you have digestive issues, nut butters aren't the way to go, they can be pretty disruptive to the gut. Is this something you have successfully eaten prior to a workout before? Or you are thinking of trying this? 

I have had no problems eating niut butters.  The best way I understand my issues, my stomach is somewhat paralyzed and didn't move things along in a normal timely manner. So where most tummies move food along in 60-90'ish minutes, mine would take 3-4 times longer (numbers are approx.). So heavy or fibrous things sit there for quite some time. And the things recommended, i.e.  yogurt, I won't be able to do. So for this specific instance, getting metabolism going, I thought this might be an acceptable solution. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jenlar3 said:

I have had no problems eating niut butters.  The best way I understand my issues, my stomach is somewhat paralyzed and didn't move things along in a normal timely manner. So where most tummies move food along in 60-90'ish minutes, mine would take 3-4 times longer (numbers are approx.). So heavy or fibrous things sit there for quite some time. And the things recommended, i.e.  yogurt, I won't be able to do. So for this specific instance, getting metabolism going, I thought this might be an acceptable solution. 

Yep, if you can tolerate it with no trouble, then it would be a totally suitable choice. :)

Archived