I finished my first Whole 30! The good, bad and not so ugly

Tonk

I finished my first Whole 30 yesterday! Today is weigh in day and I'm down 11.5 pounds. Yeah me!

I feel terrific and want to shout from the roof tops how good I feel!! I want to tell everyone to try The Whole 30 before they go to the doctor and bring home a handful of prescriptions. (I've had to reign it in as not to be the obnoxious friend, sister, wife, etc).

I love the idea of doing an "After Action Report". Here's my version for your use and enjoyment!

What I did really well

• Resisted bread when my husband and I went out to dinner (that was so hard!!)
  • Planned ahead when I went to my sister's birthday party. I brought ants on a log (celery with almond butter and raisins) to help me resist the pigs in a blanket and mini cupcakes.
  • Did 1000-calorie workouts the first 15 days to kick things off, then scaled back to my regular 500-calorie workouts for the remainder.
  • Broke my Starbucks habit!! I discovered that I can make a delicious iced coffee with coconut milk at home for a LOT less than my daily double tall soy latte. 

What I'll do better next time

• Do a better job of reading labels for sneaky sugar and unpronounceable ingredients
  • Be more diligent when eating out. Ask what food is prepared in, if vegetables come with butter, etc
  • Don't get weight, measured, or measure my fat percentage for the full 30 days. I failed miserably at this!!
  • Get more creative with meals--do more planning and preparing; fix more meals at home.
  • Stick to three meals; cut out the snacking unless I'm really, really hungry.
  • Try Bone Broth. I keep hearing good things about it.
  • Make it less boring. Experiment more.

Best discoveries that I'll keep with me for a lifetime

• La Croix or other sparkling mineral water. I squeeze in some fresh lemon or lime juice and pour it over ice. It's as much fun as soda without the ugly consequences.

• Organizing my refrigerator according to food groups--I put good fats on the top right; fruits-second shelf on the left; veggies, second shelf on the right; and protein on the bottom shelf. It's a simple visual that helps me build a clean meal just by opening the fridge. It's also easy to see when things are running low and I need to go shopping.

• Nom Nom Paleo! I love these recipes!! They're simple, but really tasty. One of my favorites is Slow Cooker Kalua Pig (nom, nom!)

I've seem so many positive changes over the last 30 days, but the single biggest revelation for me is that I actually did it! I ate healthy whole foods and resisted the urge to eat the foods I had committed not to eat for the entire 30 days. I can't tell you how strong, confident, and empowered that makes me feel. I think that feeling eclipses everything else!

I ate healthy whole foods and resisted the urge to eat the foods I had committed not to eat for the entire 30 days. I can't tell you how strong, confident, and empowered that makes me feel. I think that feeling eclipses everything else!

THIS is fantastic!!! I am on day 10 and starting to feel this way... Just so empowered knowing that I can stare down that bread or fried rice (the waiter added it to my plate even though I asked for NONE) at dinner. 

Fantastic list, and I think the organizing of the refrigerator is so clever!!! I will have to try that out!

Glad you liked the list ericaa. The Iced coffee is really easy. I just fill a tumbler with ice, brew my favorite coffee, pour the coconut milk in with the coffee (I add the coconut milk to the hot coffee to smooth it out), then pour the coffee and coconut in the tumbler over the ice.

I have a favorite insulated tumbler with a lid and a straw that I bought from Caribou Coffee when they were still in business. I swear it tastes better out of it. You could get a Starbucks tumbler and it might be even better!

Archived