Newbie Starting 9/9

fitnhealthykal

Briefest possible intro would be that I am an almost 56 year old relatively active female with a litany of health issues who is and has been in pursuit of that holy grail of the perfect lifestyle that I can follow with a passion without feeling resentful about it. I've tried every pill, patch, potion, plan and have yet to find that elusive "click" that so many find that is THEIR lifestyle to own and I want it desperately. I am going to give this a shot beginning with a friend from sparkpeople on 9/9. I have never followed a Paleo lifestyle (being a great lover of dairy and carbs). I am quite comfortable with clean eating otoh.

There you have "me" in a nutshell.

I am looking forward to a new path on my continued journey!

Woohoo! So excited for you - the second and third days were the roughest for me; after that, I felt so much better, that the cravings and everything else were minor inconveniences, and minimal compared the benefits! Of course, it varies for everyone, but I am currently on Day 8 - my clothes fit better, I am happier than I think I've ever been, and I've been sleeping like a baby! We'll be here to support you along the way. :)

Hi FitNHealthyKal! and welcome - you may recognize me from the SparkPeople forum...

Did you read It Starts With Food? It's kind of the holy grail of this place and an excellent guideline for how to do the Whole30 successfully. There's also some good info on autoimmune conditions in Practical Paleo. Both are available on Amazon.com.

I just about match you on age, though not activity level unfortunately (for me, that is). I know what you mean about the carbs and dairy - though you'll be amazed at how the cravings just seem to go away when you're eating lots of good protein, veggies and healthy fats. The carbs are downright addicting - the more you eat 'em the more you want 'em, but get off of them for long enough and you won't need them. Dairy... is something I'm experimenting with adding back into my diet post-Whole30. I've missed my cheese, though I know now I can live without it if I have to.

Ask questions, talk to us when it gets tough - and be sure to share your victories as well! You're gonna find this to be a wonderfully supportive community. My partner and I have both made some great friends here.

I am just a tiny bit Type A and I normally do a meal plan before shopping so before starting yesterday that meant a BIG and QUICK learning curve. I am now subscribed to a BUNCH of blogs and yes, I have It Starts With Food, Nom Nom Paleo, Everyday Paleo, Practical Paleo, Paleo Comfort Foods to work with understanding that these are not ALL Whole30 approved. I am a generally clean eater so I have many of the right ingredients. I posted pictures of my spice and oil/vinegar cupboards on my facebook page last night and a nutritionist/paleo friend immediately said - get rid of the Pam Kal - it's gone. I already cook with coconut oil, macadamia oil but do have grapeseed oil as a staple that I'm disappointed I can't use. I don't use a lot of fat/oil and already used the Kerrygold butter for instance. LOVE Trader Joe's. I'm having difficulty finding Coconut Aminos and will need them for my next week's meal plan. I may go ahead and order on Amazon today. I have an open mind and I am open to any/all suggestions and HELP!

Archived