Starting May 26

pennylane14

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I'm starting today! I've made several attempts over the past 2 years, my longest lasting 7 days. I always have an excuse to give up. But not this time! 

For breakfast this morning I had 2 eggs with onions and sweet mini bell peppers in coconut oil. 

I want to get healthier, and feel better! I'm definitely excited for the changes this will be bring! 

Here are my reasons for doing it:

1) Change my relationship with food. I don't want to have the "stuffed" feeling after meals. I don't want to "need" dessert every day. I don't want to mindlessly snack in the evenings.

2) Clear up my skin

3) Increase my energy

4) Heal my gut

Hi charaelyse,

Do you know why you haven't been able to go beyond 7 days? One of the best ways to not get derailed or "give in" to tempting foods is to make sure you are eating enough at your meals. Being full and satisfied (not overstuffed) squeezes out any space where cravings or self doubt may lie.  

Your breakfast is really small.....eggs, when they are your sole source of protein, are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping, for most people that is at least 3-4.  You want your meals to be keeping you for 4-5 hours so you could consider upping your eggs or adding another protein to your breakfast (I know personally just eggs won't do it for me, I need cooked meat + eggs).

Best wishes as you go forward!  :)

Quick question...aren't nuts ok to eat on the Whole30? I just read Pennylane's response above...as I sit here munching on some nuts to tide me over until dinner as I'm starting to feel my hypoglycemia coming on. So just curious what is wrong with eating nuts (not peanuts)?

• Administrators

Quick question...aren't nuts ok to eat on the Whole30? I just read Pennylane's response above...as I sit here munching on some nuts to tide me over until dinner as I'm starting to feel my hypoglycemia coming on. So just curious what is wrong with eating nuts (not peanuts)?

Nuts are....just ok.  Not great.  Their fatty acid profile is unbalanced, they are gut disruptive and they can be a food without brakes for people (eg. hand to mouth mindless eating).

If you are needing tiding over to dinner that is an excellent sign that your lunch (and possibly breakfast) was not large enough.  We want you to get to the point where you are eating 3 meals, 4-5 hours apart (and not starving in between!).  If you have to eat between meals while you work out your exact formula, stick with protein and fat as a little mini meal.  Nuts and fruits are problem foods for many folks, especially when eaten between meals.

Welcome everyone! Feel free to share your meal plans or awesome recipes. Here's the recipe to that crack slaw:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2075345

Subbed coconut aminos for the soy sauce, left out the stevia. I should note that I haven't eaten this yet, so it could be terrible, haha.

Excited to have a good group of folks to go through this with! 

Here's a question--what will you ask yourself if you feel like cheating? Previously, I would ask myself if XYZ was worth $20 (the amount I'd spent on the book and the emails). In subsequent Whole30s, I would remind myself of the terrible stomach pains I get when I eat off-plan at first

Hope everyone is having a good first day. I did a fair amount of prep yesterday so I had plenty ready for today. I made the whole30 mayo and mixed it with roasted turkey, chopped celery, onions and a few toasted walnuts, all in a lettuce cup. I must admit mayo is one of my downfalls, but the Whole 30 version had a nice, fresh taste and I wasn't even tempted to slather it on. Dinner is a pot roast in the crock pot. I also made the clarified butter which has a much richer, deeper flavor than regular butter. Sweets aren't particularily my issue, but I will miss my glass of wine with dinner. I've stocked up on Perrier to sip with my dinner instead. I actually quit my wine with dinner a week ago and lost 4 lbs, I guess I had a bit more than a glass with dinner :)

My husband and I are doing our first Whole 30 starting today! So far so good. We did so much prep yesterday and felt like we were in the kitchen forever! I hope our motivation and accountabiity stays solid! It nice to see so many people starting today! We both have very sensitive stomachs and always feel like we have an upset stomach. We are hopin that this 30 day period will rid our belly aches and help us to figure out what is irritating it! We are joining the May 26th team!

Well, day 1 went well. Breakfast-eggs, kale, onion and chicken thigh omelette made with ghee; lunch- chicken stir-fry with tons of veggies (peppers, onions mushrooms, kale, broccoli;  pre-workout- two handfuls of sunflower seeds (I need to pay attention to nut intake) 30 minutes workout with Jillian Michels; dinner- chicken stir-fry and yam (post-workout). I am snacking on baby carrots as I write.

I love a nightly snack and wine, but I have to change my relationship with food. My eating and drinking habits have gotten out of control and I can barely look at myself. My goals are to gain control over my eating habits; control my daily "glass" really 3-4 glasses of wine; improve my strength and aerobic tolerance and lose weight. 

Usually my day one is easy because I'm so excited to be doing a Whole30. This one was tough--only at night when a friend came over to celebrate something and brought wine, and I really had a sugar craving after that. Didn't cave, and think I need to add more fat to my meals (had a half an avocado just now).

To those who asked, nuts are complete food without brakes for me (as are nut butters). Given the issues people have with them too, I'm happy to leave them out except for the occasional sprinkling. 

Starting my first Whole30 today! The first day was awesome even though things were crazy at work. I listened to It Starts With Food on a trip and started this new regime right when I got back. I'm really excited and hopeful.

Goals:

-Get to a place where I don't spend so much mental energy on food

-Be able to deal with sugar in a normal way and not an obsess and binge

-Tone up, but mostly be able to fuel all of my outdoor activities and exercise

-Really just be at peace about food and eating

Initial high points:

-I'm enjoying all the fresh food and it makes me feel good to eat this way!

-Cravings haven't been bad, yet.

-I'm excited to take a break from alcohol

Initial concerns:

-Holy astronomical grocery bill batman! This food better last awhile. 

-I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons (though I eat fish and eggs) so I'm following the modified plan. Buying quality veggies and protein, hence expensive groceries. I hope I'm following the modified plan correctly . . . kefir with no added sugar is ok right?

-I have a busy work life. Today, for example, I was driving over lunch from a meeting to a meeting so had to eat in my car. I guess the most important is sticking to the approved food list. But I would like to try eating without sitting at my desk (which I typically do for two meals per day).

I wish everyone luck!

Starting my first Whole30 today! The first day was awesome even though things were crazy at work. I listened to It Starts With Food on a trip and started this new regime right when I got back. I'm really excited and hopeful.

-Holy astronomical grocery bill batman! This food better last awhile. 

-I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons (though I eat fish and eggs) so I'm following the modified plan. Buying quality veggies and protein, hence expensive groceries. I hope I'm following the modified plan correctly . . . kefir with no added sugar is ok right?

All sounds wonderful, but the kefir question jumped out at me... kefir is not ok if it's made with dairy! (is it coconut water kefir? I know that folks make kefir out of different milks/waters...)

[ETA: I thought dairy was out no matter what, but I don't know much about the modified vegetarian W30 so hopefully you'll hear from someone who does]

Good morning, all, and happy day 2! I really liked the Whole30 Daily today about self efficacy, something I need to repeat to myself a lot :-)

@freedomfromsugar, I would check ISWF or the vegetarian boards. I know some sort of kefir is allowed, but don't know the specifics. For the rest of us, all dairy is off limits. 

Good morning!  So far Day 2 is better for me.  I'm not so tired and sleepy as I was yesterday, but I think that was my busy long weekend catching up with me.  I'm sure the good food choices from yesterday are helping to fuel me today, though  :D

Thank you for this thread.  It's the only one I'm reading at this starting point and I'm glad we'll continue on it. 

Day 1 yesterday was great for me! I wasn't even tempted to snack after dinner! 

Day 2 so far I am just exhausted. I don't know if it's whole30 related or just because I didn't sleep well last night. 

I have chicken marinating in the fridge to throw on the grill tonight for dinner. 

• Administrators

Good Morning,

If you can eat fish and eggs, we really, highly recommend that you complete a real, omnivorous Whole30 (no dairy, no legumes).  This is the only way that you will truly be able to determine how the alternate vegetarian protein sources affect you.

We recently had someone complete an entire Whole30 using just eggs as their protein source. Not easy by any stretch but if you are willing to also eat seafood it's definitely doable!

Whole30 no longer recommends alternate protein sources for vegetarians as that is not truly in keeping with the program.  The book It Starts With Food and the new book, The Whole30" both have some information in them for vegetarians and vegans.

Good Morning and Happy Day 2.

I'm feeling great.  The best thing about a Whole30 for me is the control.....I control the food rather than the food controlling me.  When I eat good wholesome real food, I don't get cravings for sugar and processed food.  And I can go HOURS without eating.  

Today will be a busy cooking day.  Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are my favorite cookbooks (even when not doing a Whole30).  I'm making tuna salad, scotch eggs, pizza veggies and meatzas today.  If you all haven't visited Melissa J's website http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/I highly recommend it.  Her recipes are so flavorful and interesting and I'm never bored!  My copy of Well Fed 2 is falling apart, I've used it so much.

Have a great day.

I also started yesterday!

I had planned on beginning beginning of May but with Mothers Day, a GNO with friends, and then Memorial Weekend I figured it would be better to start when I knew I didn't have anything major going on for a month :)

Food wise was fine yesterday, but I am already realizing dairy is going to be the "hard to give up"

Yesterday: Eggs and Sugar Free Approved bacon with half a banana, salmon with half an avocado (was in a rush with work), and then steak with carrots and garlic potatoes in clarified butter w a slice of orange

Today I had salmon for breakfast, will have the left over steak, carrots, and potatoes for lunch, and am grilling chicken breast with homemade veggie marinara and spag squash for dinner

I know I need to ramp up the veggies but need to hit the grocery story today :)

So far the only issue is a slept worse than I have in a year last night....don't think it was necessarily the food but I need a nap...BIG TIME!

Good morning, everyone! My decision to start this W30 was very sudden but I'm pretty excited to be doing it. Lots of great food yesterday, and even though I've had many many compliant meals since my last W30, eating 3 meals with ample protein was really different from my recent norm. Nice to leave the table and not think about food at all for hours.

Hope you all have a wonderful day - 

Argh! I just realized that I used butter to cook my eggs this morning! I feel pretty foolish - we actually have generally used ghee in my house since my first W30, then slowly have transitioned back to butter and it's almost like I made them the same thing in my head somewhere along the way.

It was painful to click the "I made some bad choices today..." button on my daily email, but .... well, that's all I can do. That, and make some ghee! I have a huge pot of it going now on my stove.

Here's the very happy news to go along with this: I'm not even tempted to have some chocolate (the reasoning would be "well, might as well since today doesn't count anyway"). So I'll get a W30 started again tomorrow, with two lovely and almost compliant warm-up days (yesterday and today).

I already had that moment when a carrot tasted surprisingly sweet, had a particularly good workout today, and am so happy to be doing a W30 right now that I don't even really mind re-starting. I think I'll stay on this thread with all of you if you don't mind  :)

Wondering if you won't get the same results if you HAVE to snack due to hypoglycemia issues? Maybe as I go, those issues will get better, but I currently have to snack on "Whole30 approved" foods when I start to feel lightheaded & shaky...

• Administrators

Wondering if you won't get the same results if you HAVE to snack due to hypoglycemia issues? Maybe as I go, those issues will get better, but I currently have to snack on "Whole30 approved" foods when I start to feel lightheaded & shaky...

You should still be trying to eat three full meals a day with the goal of keeping you going for 4-5 hours without snacking.  Then, if you do have to snack in between for whatever reason, make it a mini meal of protein and fat. Don't snack on just fruit or nuts alone, that will just perpetuate your blood sugar issues.

As I understand it there is a bit of a malfunction in the amount of glucose that is being put into your blood stream.  Eating under a Whole30 umbrella and balancing out your hormones and digestive processes is only going to help.

Archived