Starting May 26

pennylane14

Hi everyone! I'm late joining the forum but I too started May 26th.  This is my first Whole30 and I'm really excited about it.  I'm looking to normalize my blood glucose levels and lose weight.  It seems that yesterday went well but today I've been snacking like crazy.  I didn't really have the time to prep that I wanted or needed but since I'm not leaving room for failure, I'm going to hang on through this weekend and prep for next week then. 

It's so nice to meet all of you through the forum (I've read all the posts before I posted :D  :D )

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already had that moment when a carrot tasted surprisingly sweet, had a particularly good workout today, and am so happy to be doing a W30 right now that I don't even really mind re-starting. I think I'll stay on this thread with all of you if you don't mind  :)

The carrot comment rings so true!  I had a blueberry today that I was flipping out over!  And it's only Day 2!

Wondering if you won't get the same results if you HAVE to snack due to hypoglycemia issues? Maybe as I go, those issues will get better, but I currently have to snack on "Whole30 approved" foods when I start to feel lightheaded & shaky...

My first time around I had the same issues.....don't "snack".  Have a mini-meal.  It works.

Day 2 is nearly done, and so far so good. I feel mentally sharp and oddly happy, not for any particular reason, just happy. I don't have the energy in my legs for my normal hike, they feel like lead and I'm not able to maintain the same intensity as before. I know this will pass as soon as my body adjusts, so I just did a slower, flat walk today. Glad to see so many people on here!

Good Evening Everyone,

Happy to report Day3 was good. I only got a little irritated at the guy standing next to me at the car wash. He felt that I needed to be his new best friend ... I just wanted to get my car washed and move on with the rest of my day. Did more prep cooking for the remainder of the week. I find that if I have the food ready to go it's much easier getting through the day.

Changed my dinner this evening to grilled steak with mushrooms and asparagus. Prepared the veggies with ghee and they were fabulous. I can't believe the amount of veggies that I'm eating at each meal. Must be a good thing because I'm able to make it to the next meal without snacking.

If I'm feeling good tomorrow I plan to put my Fitbit back on and get in my 10,000 steps.

Everyone is doing great....keep up the good work. Remember, "we got this".

just finished day 3 - I'm a pleb when it comes to posting correcting - I think I keep replying to myself.  So far so good.  Less panic - much less panic - than the first time.  That was hard but so worth it!  My entire office lost weight because we got rid of the sugar, lol.  

Day 2 yesterday started out pretty well, woke up with good energy.  It ended with me having a headache when I went to bed.   I'm sure it was from detoxing from the absence of chocolate the past two days.  lol. 

Day 3 so far so good. Thank goodness caffeine is allowed!   Had my breakfast, getting ready to workout, and making sure to allow enough time this morning to get the turkey breast in the crockpot for dinner tonight.

Very glad to check in here every morning to see that we are all still in this together!

Happy Day 3! 

I just pulled out my Fitbit yesterday too!  I am going to work on getting 10,000 steps/day too!

I have been wearing my fitbit too! Let me know if either of you would be interested in having a Fitbit friend. I would love some extra motivation to keep moving. 

Days 1 & 2 were not too bad for me but I am definitely missing my 2-3 diet cokes a day at work. Whole Foods brand Green Tea with Pomegranate & Cranberry has been helping a lot as well as water with a few pieces for fruit in it. I would love any other suggestions anyone might have to replace diet soda and/or my glass of wine at dinner.

Day 3 has been a bit tough so far. My wife has been sick and with taking care of her, I haven't had time to do as much prep as I would like. My fat plan for breakfast was sunflower butter but I realized last minute the kind we keep in our house has dehydrated cane syrup (which is obviously a no go). I do not eat nuts because my wife is allergic. Any other easy fat source suggestions that I could keep at work? I am hitting overload on avocados.

I realized this morning we will be 10% of the way to 30 days at the end of today. Good job group! We can do this!

Hi everyone,

Would love to have some Fitbit friends. Anyone interested please send me your account name for Fitbit and I'll put in the friend requests. Looking forward to getting some new friends and keeping each other motivated to keep moving.

Feeling a little tired today but I'm committed to muddling through.

Have a great day everyone....we got this!

Good morning, all!

Day 2 went well--wasn't tempted by wine at my weekly bocce game because I had my sparkling water (I pretty much live on this stuff during the Whole30, ha!). I eat dinner pretty early (around 5 or 5:30) so I'm often hungry at 9 or 10 p.m. The past two nights I've had nuts (nooooo!), but tonight I'm focusing on making a mini-meal around 9 (probably zucchini and egg whites). Trial and error, friends!

Also noticed that I was getting hungry around 10:30 a.m. (true hunger), so I added an extra egg to my breakfast. Today, it's now almost noon and I'm just now getting really hungry. Never would have thought I'd need three eggs at breakfast, but here we are!

Are folks following the Whole30 instagram? And the Whole30Recipes instagram? Not going to lie, I've gotten some great ideas from those. 

Day 3 has been a bit tough so far. My wife has been sick and with taking care of her, I haven't had time to do as much prep as I would like. My fat plan for breakfast was sunflower butter but I realized last minute the kind we keep in our house has dehydrated cane syrup (which is obviously a no go). I do not eat nuts because my wife is allergic. Any other easy fat source suggestions that I could keep at work? I am hitting overload on avocados.

I realized this morning we will be 10% of the way to 30 days at the end of today. Good job group! We can do this!

coconut butter? coconut flakes? olives?  extra ghee/olive oil over your eggs/vegetables?

Good luck with taking care of your wife plus keeping up with everything! (I'll have a few days coming up where I'll have to remind myself not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good... so: fully compliant but maybe not the picture perfect meals that I'd like to have! But then when you're through those days, you're still on track and you can put more energy into prep and cooking).

Woohoo got my 10,000 steps in before noon today. Feeling pretty good although I could care less if I eat today. I've been forcing myself to eat....hope this passes soon.

Hope you're all having a great day!

Day 3 is almost done!! I feel like I was in a haze most of day 2. I just felt weird. But, I wasn't hungry, I ate on schedule. I need to go shopping and try some of the recipes in Well Fed and Well Fed 2. She is so creative and I can only imagine the deliciousness of the recipes. I skipped my workout yesterday and today. I hope that my energy level picks up tomorrow. Congrats to everyone. I'm happy to be on this journey with each of you. 

Hi everyone,

Checking in. Today was relatively easy for me and even though I've been eating more or less like this for a while now, the fact of officially being on a W30 has prompted me to try some different recipes and vegetables (parsnips! I always forget about parsnips, but they're really good steamed with ghee and salt). Rosalind, you have both the books already? Yes, there's some amazing stuff in those!

My Whole30 book just arrived in the mail today. Excited to flip through it! 

I'm trying to get myself used to not feeling overly full at meals. Like lunch was perfect, I felt satisfied but not too full. I was sure I would get hungry in the afternoon, but was able to wait until 7:30 for dinner. 

I made a crockpot turkey breast recipe for dinner tonight following a recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/10/07/crockpot-turkey-breast/

It was very delicious even though i had no cranberries to add.  I made mashed red potatoes with ghee and chicken broth and topped it with some of the juice/dripping in the crockpot.  Grilled slices of yellow squash rounded out the plate.  My husband said it felt like Thanksgiving! 

No headache today -- hallelujah!-- so hopefully that side effect has worked through its course.  And I've had good energy to get through my morning workouts.

Since I can't check my progress via the scale (though it is rather tempting!), I tried on some size 10 summer clothes I bought a few weeks ago with the intention of fitting in to them THIS summer.  Great motivation and I'll keep checking for proper fit weekly. :)

Since I can't check my progress via the scale (though it is rather tempting!), I tried on some size 10 summer clothes I bought a few weeks ago with the intention of fitting in to them THIS summer.  Great motivation and I'll keep checking for proper fit weekly. :)

Laurie, even though there are no guidelines about trying on clothes, I would be careful with any kind of testing or measuring during the w30. Often folks notice wonderful things as they go along as well as at the end - but sometimes it can be unnecessarily discouraging if you don't notice a change that you're hoping for at a particular time, and also it can feel like you're testing yourself (instead of feeding yourself!). 

Turkey and potatoes sounds delicious :)

Hi everyone! I am late to the party, but I did start my 2nd Whole30 on Tuesday. Since what I'd really like to do is have a glass of wine or some chocolate, I thought checking out the forum and frustrating myself by trying to upload a photo would be a more appropriate alternative!

I made it 21 days on my first Whole30, and then Thanksgiving happened. Not great planning I know, but those 3 weeks were very eye opening.

My reasons for going after it again:

1. Eliminate sugar cravings

2. To do something for myself

3. I have some skin issues I'd love to see clear up

Day 3 is a bummer... Hang in there everyone!

Laurie, even though there are no guidelines about trying on clothes, I would be careful with any kind of testing or measuring during the w30. Often folks notice wonderful things as they go along as well as at the end - but sometimes it can be unnecessarily discouraging if you don't notice a change that you're hoping for at a particular time, and also it can feel like you're testing yourself (instead of feeding yourself!). 

Turkey and potatoes sounds delicious :)

Thanks for sharing that insight.   I'll be mindful of that and keep focusing on how I feel regardless of my clothes.  ;)

Day 3 and going strong! Thank you Ladyshanny for your recommendation. I agree that I think I can do it with fish and eggs no dairy. I have only had like 8 oz of kefir anyway so far and no other dairy. But I will throw that day out (day 1) and say I'm on day 2 (even though should've been day 3). I'm feeling really truly great so I don't even care.

Snowflower and carrots&blueberries, I definitely agree! I am such a sugar nut, and now not having it for just three days everything has started to taste different. Even eating fruit I truly can taste its sweetness and I don't even want as much of it. I look at candy in the drug store that would've totally beckoned to me before, and it just looks gross - like not food. 

The hardest part will likely be the alcohol. Especially this time of year it is such an integral part of get togethers. Not like I drink a lot, but typically I would have at least 1 beer at a happy hour / work get together / concert. But I'm committed to making it the full 30. It's only one month!

Thanks all!

Archived