Struggling Through!

StacyB

I'm on day 5 of my first Whole30 and wow it's difficult! I'm finding it unbelievably hard not to snack. Below is my daily schedule, can anyone help me to figure out if I'm perhaps eating too little or at the wrong times? Or maybe I'm just being a baby and I need to suck it up!

5am - Insanity Workout (1 hour HIIT)

6:30am - Breakfast (e.g. 2 eggs, portion of smoked salmon, 6 spears asparagus, 1/2 small avocado)

12:30pm - Lunch (e.g. portion of chicken, mixed salad, nuts, olives, orange)

7:30pm - Dinner (e.g. chicken breast, roasted sweet potato, carrot & broccoli, mixed berries & desiccated coconut)

I tend to want a snack the most around 10:30am-11am, so I've had an apple and some cashew nuts at this time most days.

I know myself that I need to find a 'mini meal' type of snack which contains fats, protein and carbs - I will go shopping this weekend for supplies and I'll look for inspiration on new combinations that will be tasty when cold!

An hour of HIIT before fueling would kill me. Then, after that workout, I'd need a LOT more food to get me to midday. You shouldn't feel true hunger on a W30. Follow the meal template, and you will feel much better.

I have several foods that I usually eat hot that taste surprisingly good cold. Meatballs, breakfast casserole, roasted vegetables, etc. They can be portioned into mini-meal sizes. I prep a lot of raw vegetables that I can grab and go, too: cherry tomatoes, radishes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. A little dipping sauce made with homemade mayo, and I'm good.

You should be eating something within one hour of wakening to keep your hormones in check. I'd add in something like a boiled egg preWO, and some lean protein postWO before you shower, & THEN have meal one -this will help the hunger pangs mid-morning.

Also salads need to be HUGE to keep you satiated - consider how much the leaves reduce down when chewed & maybe add some more denser, cooked veg.

Ditch the nuts!!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not crazy and I do need to make adjustments!

In regards to the pre workout snack, how long before a workout would you need to eat that (if we use your suggestion of an egg as an example)? I don't think it's feasible for me to get up any earlier in the morning!

I get up about 30-40 mins before I train and eat a boiled egg with a mug of green tea - that allows me personally enough time for the egg to digest. I train, I eat my postWO, shower, travel to work (about 15-20mins) & then have meal one. The days I train before work I have the shortest break between meal one and meal two, & yet I am always more than ready for it.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you again for replying to me. I have decided that fasted training works fine with my schedule but I have taken your advice and I now drink a hemp protein shake immediately after each workout and I eat much more veggies for my meal 1. I ended my first whole30 after day 5 because I booked a spontaneous trip to Rome with my sister! But I started again on 1st June and I'm now on day 3. Following your advice, I am MUCH happier than the first time around. I'm not needing to snack at all and I'm rarely hungry.

... and I now drink a hemp protein shake immediately after each workout ...

Do you plan on continuing this throughout your whole30?

Assuming it's 100% compliant it is not going to be nutritionally superior to real food, and we really encourage you to EAT rather than DRINK your food on whole30 so that your brain is getting the right signals & feels nourished, and it's just not really in keeping with the spirit of the programme.

Running lady - I buy Young's Scottish smoked salmon from Asda. The only ingredients are salmon and salt.

Jmcbn - thank you for your help. I've just found the meal planner for preWO and PWO snacks so I will try to adapt so that I follow that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today is day 16 and I'm finding it hard today! I still have the cravings, I'm still bloated and I'm still tired. This elusive tiger blood had better rear its head soon because I'm losing motivation fast!

If you want to post a few days worth of food/liquid intake along with activity/sleep/stress levels we could take a look and see if there are any tweaks you could make that might help you feel better...?

Thank you for being so helpful, jmcbn!

If I'm honest with myself, I know why I probably feel this way.

1. I switched my workouts to the evening to try to get the snacks in, which was making me grumpy because I hate working out after a full 10 hour shift at work.

2. I have been struggling to sleep this week, possibly due to the late workout, possibly due to the stress of applying to study medicine at university!

3. I have been surrounded by social situations and unhealthy foods all week (various social gatherings in pubs, cinemas, restaurants and BBQ's). Plus my sister has baked my favourite homemade cheesecake which stares at me each time I go in the fridge!

4. I've been upset because it was my parent's wedding anniversary last week (the first since my mum passed away a few months ago) so that brought back my temptation to emotionally eat!

5. To cope with all of this, I have eaten dates and cashew butter for the past few evenings!

I'm feeling a little better today - I think I just needed to feel sorry for myself and have a grumble!

The Whole30 is something I really want to do to break my unhealthy psychological relationship with sugary foods before it gets out of control. I know that I can do it and I know that I've done really well so far - I just fear that I've not done it perfectly because I've snacked on some dry fruit a fair bit, which provokes a very unhealthy psychological response for me!

I will keep pushing through; things can only get better!

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me, it's really helped me to know that there are people out there who are willing to listen and to help me on my journey.

You certainly have a lot going on so don't be hard on yourself. The stresses you are going through could well be effecting your sleep and this, coupled with the fact that you are still grieving, will have a big impact on how you feel, your hormones, and your appetite.

You may find that it will take a little longer than 30 days for you to really feel the benefits of the program, but you're getting there, and you have a positive attitude which is key to success.

You've identified that dried fruits are a problem for you - use that knowledge as you move forward.

Oh, and mmmmmmm cheesecake.....!!  :wub:  :blink:  :P 

Stacy no wonder you are feeling down & finding it hard with all that going on! I found around the middle of my W30 the hardest point so I get what you are saying but I am soooo happy I stuck it out because it is all worth it in the end. I hope you find the strength to get over this hump, you can do it!

Wow, thank you both! I can't tell you how nice it is to talk to fellow Whole30-ers and to hear that you went through similar struggles and came out the other side, all the better for it. Thanks for your words of encouragement

The cheesecake is white chocolate and raspberry!!

Archived