Barely able to finish breakfast....too much?

I love Whole30 and eating the 3 solid meals a day.  I typically can go 4-5 hours between meals.  But my breakfast feels like I'm overloading on something.   I just ate this (my typical breakfast) and my stomach is so swollen and full, and I couldn't even finish my veggies.   Should I scale back on the fat, veggies or eggs??   Not sure which one I should scale back on because this overly-full feeling is uncomfortable, even though I know I'll be satisfied til another 4-5 hours.   Or do I just let my body get used to this and keep my breakfast as is?   

3 eggs

Sauteed broccoli (about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup)

2 large handfuls of spinach/kale/swiss chard sauteed

1 Tbsp Coconut oil (for cooking veggies)

1/4 Sweet Potato 

1/4 Avocado

Coffee

2 Tbsp Coconut Milk

Since I've added in heavy exercise daily, I've felt super weak around 2pm.  So I know I need to add more starchy veggies, but the thought of adding more food to this....I'll be so uncomfortably full.   

Should I adjust this at all or just keep going and hope my body adjusts?  Any feedback on if this too much food would be great!

I LOVE Whole30 and it has changed my life dramatically, so I'm converted!!  I just need a few tweaks and I'll be all set.  :)

Are you taking the coffee before breakfast by any chance, as it can be an appetite suppressant for some....

Otherwise it looks fine to me - maybe eat as much as you can & pack up the rest for if you get hungry later? Like a mini meal?

This breakfast is fine, but if you are feeling overstuffed try reducing it a little and see if you still get to that 4-5 hour mark. Personally, I do best when I save my starchy carbs for later in the day (helps me sleep and reduces sweet cravings during the morning). I also find eggs fatty enough that I don't generally add fat when I have them. SO if you want to try eating a little less, I would target the sweet potato and avocado.

Otherwise, take jmcbn's advice and save the coffee for later. You may find you can eat more without feeling full so quickly that way.

Thanks jmcbn!  I have my coffee after breakfast as they recommended.   Well it's good to know that my meal looks pretty balanced.  And that's exactly what I've been doing, if I can't finish it I just pack it up and eat it at lunch.  It's usually the veggies I can't finish.

And I've been reading some other posts in the forum, missmary, and reading that full eggs do contain fat so I think I could start by removing the extra avocado first and see if that helps.   I feel like I have alot of good fats in the coconut oil, eggs and the coconut milk....so I'll start with removing the avocado.   If I'm hungry earlier, then I know I'll have to keep that back in.

Listening to my body is what I'm learning to do in all of this, which I love.  I don't want to gorge myself to feeling overly-stuffed, but I also want to remain satiated until my next meal.  So, I'll try adjusting the fat first and still pack up what I can't eat and eat it later.   I'm just sickly stuffed right now and feel awful, so hopefully this will help!

Feeling overstuffed and uncomfortably full can definitely be related to too much fat in your meal. I think you've got a good problem-solving plan going.

Something else to ponder might be to change the types of veggies you're eating in the morning. I've noticed that I have trouble getting through more fibrous veggies in the  morning unless they're cooked really well. For broccoli, I'll usually roast a batch in the oven and keep it in the fridge until meal time. Then it gets sauteed and cooked for a second round as I cook it in my breakfast.

I LOVE cabbage for breakfast. It cooks quickly and my tummy is happy to accept it early in the day.

Yeah that would be too much for me too. I agree about changing out the veg. My breakfast this morning was 3 eggs, large handful of power greens blend, handful cherry tomatoes, 2 slices of prosciutto (all this cooked together in skillet with pepper and garlic powder) and a handful of blueberries. I sipped on 12oz of water with it then had my black coffee when I got to work. 

Cabbage??  Oh, I never thought of that veggie, and I love cabbage!   I also roast my broccoli on Sundays in small pieces so it's usually nice and soft in the morning, but I'll try another veggie to see if that helps.  I also eat all my veggies first, then my eggs so I may need to switch that around.   Thanks Munkers!  

And edgymama, I am going to try your breakfast option, too. I just picked up some prosciutto....I love that, too!   I think it's the fat, with the 1 Tbsp coconut oil I cook with, then usually alittle ghee for the eggs, then 2 Tbsp Coconut milk AND avocado.   I'll back off on that first and monitor how fast I get hungry.  And switch up my veggies.

Thanks, ladies!  At least I know I'm going in the right direction.  :)

• Administrators

I personally can't do breakfast broccoli ...

Me either!  And it's a dinner time favourite.  It's weird because I can eat every other veggie for breakfast!  Well....Carrot Week wasn't popular either, actually.

I did cabbage and removed the added avocado this morning and it was perfect!  It must have been the broccoli and avocado.   I also stayed full for a good 4 1/2 hours and just felt a twinge of hunger, which let me know it was time to eat.   I'll continue with this and see how I adjust but I felt SO much better today and not so crazy stuffed.  Even though I loved my avocado, it's not worth it to feel so overly-full and bloated.   Great tips!

Guest Andria

Personally, I would keep the avocado and ditch the coconut milk.  Avocados are more nutritious (vitamin A, C, B6, potassium, magnesium, iron) than coconut milk.

Just a suggestion. Of course, do what works for you :)

Archived