Sweet potato is a veg, correct?

edgymama

So if I have a sweet potato with a meal I still need to put my protein and fat with it? I ask because I see so many using the sweet potato as the main focus so things are getting fuzzy.....

Thanks!

(oh and my meal I am thinking of having tonight will be a sweet potato (roasted with ghee slathered on it), chicken breast, and ????? do I need more? I feel I may need more haha....)

Yes, sweet potato is a veg - a starchy one - and yes, you still need to add protein & fat to that.

As to whether or not you'll need more with your tea it very much depends on the size of your potato!! I like to mix up my veg though for added flavour & I'd probably still add some more fat (maybe half an avocado, or some home-made mayo...?) - but that's just me  B)

• Administrators

Where are you seeing sweet potato as the centerpiece? On this forum or out in the internet world? Don't forget that the internet at large is not an excellent guide on Whole30.  :)

Sweet potatoes are considered a starchy veggie and can be included in your meals.  The recommendation is at least one fist sized serving per day and many folks find they do better with sleep and cravings if they focus that serving nearer to the end of the day than the beginning.

Check out our meal template (linked in my signature below) for a guideline on how to prep your meals.  

(oh and my meal I am thinking of having tonight will be a sweet potato (roasted with ghee slathered on it), chicken breast, and ????? do I need more? I feel I may need more haha....) yes, you do need more.  1-3 cups of a non starchy veggie (something green, perhaps) would be perfect here.

Thank you! Just when I did a search for sweet potato on these forums it seemed it was just recipes for them but no real mention about making sure to follow the template ;) 

Personally I was trying to stay away from potatoes but bought some to mix things up :) I will add a side salad to this meal. Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Archived