Ren's Post-Whole30 Log

Renee Kosowan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September 9, 2012

*Day 9 Post Whole30

*Alcohol really wrecks my sleep. (Could have been the almond milk and cheese too).

*We had a busy day planned to get some errands done around the house, some groceries (lots of groceries), food prep work, exercise and the BF had to head back to work (yes on a Sunday [again]).

*We picked up some new items to try… Ghee, & Coconut Aminos. Now to figure out how to incorporate them.

*Had a productive day and felt fairly good throughout. I know I would have had more energy if I did not eat so poorly yesterday.

Pre-Workout Snack (8am):

-Banana

*45 minutes of Running the Stairs (Memorial Drive)

Breakfast(9:30am):

-1/2 Red Pepper

-3 Eggs (Fried in Coconut Oil)

Snack(11am):

-16oz (original) Almond Milk Latte with sugar free Vanilla flavoring

Lunch(2pm):

-1 cup Chocolate Chili

-3/4 cup of Oven Roasted Cauliflower

Dinner(6:30pm):

-1.5 cups Oven Roasted Zucchini (EVOO, Salt & Pepper)

-1 cup Grilled Asparagus (EVOO & Red Onions)

-6 oz Grilled Steak (Montreal Steak Spice)

Water Intake: maybe 60oz? + 4 cups of Black Cherry Berry Tea (new favorite)

That is awesome you are pushing through your workouts a little harder each time. I need to get back into the swing of weights. Tough because each time I go I am so sore for days and it is tough to get back when part of me is still aching. I do love that pain. Slow and steady!

Renee - Let me clarify. I only do 30 minute strength training sessions. This morning it was squats, overhead presses and assisted pull-ups. That was all I did. Then I went for a 30 minute walk when I got home from the gym (have been anti treadmill lately). I was strength training 3x/week but now it's 2x strength training plus one conditioning day. It's all my 45 year-old body can take! Dropping one strength training day has given me more recovery time and allowed me to increase my weights. It has also allowed me to add in a run 1-2x/week. My body could not handle running more frequently without my pace being really slow or perhaps sacrificing some muscle. My progress has been slow by some people's standards but steady and essentially injury free since I began with my trainer in February. The slow progress was annoying to me in the beginning, but the last few months i am really beginning to see big changes in my body and I am very pleased. And excited to see what the next several months will bring! It's become a journey for me this year, not a race... :)

Susan

Renee - Let me clarify. I only do 30 minute strength training sessions. This morning it was squats, overhead presses and assisted pull-ups. That was all I did. Then I went for a 30 minute walk when I got home from the gym (have been anti treadmill lately). I was strength training 3x/week but now it's 2x strength training plus one conditioning day. It's all my 45 year-old body can take! Dropping one strength training day has given me more recovery time and allowed me to increase my weights. It has also allowed me to add in a run 1-2x/week. My body could not handle running more frequently without my pace being really slow or perhaps sacrificing some muscle. My progress has been slow by some people's standards but steady and essentially injury free since I began with my trainer in February. The slow progress was annoying to me in the beginning, but the last few months i am really beginning to see big changes in my body and I am very pleased. And excited to see what the next several months will bring! It's become a journey for me this year, not a race... :)

Susan

I think this is a perfect balance! If you are feeling stronger and listening to your body then that is exactly what you should be doing! Keep up the great work :)

September 10, 2012

*Day 10 Post Whole30

*Not sure why last night's sleep was so bad. I had pretty bad lower back pain (still have it this morning). The BF came home from work at 2:30am. I woke up briefly but felt I fell back asleep pretty quickly. I went to bed early (9:30pm) and felt restless until he came home. He has been working a lot of late nights these days and I feel bad for him losing sleep and being so frustrated. I know it will be worth it in the end for him, as once the project gets kicked off and the product is starting to sell it will be a lot less hours and a lot more reward. Start up companies are difficult and he knows this. I just try to do my best and prep food for him, keep him positive and try and keep up on the laundry and housework. Tough on me because I am working full time + my part time massage company. But I know that too will be reduced one of these days.

*I am taking black coffee off of my “off plan†list. I do not drink a ton of it and I do not feel it is the worst thing in my diet to be focusing on. I think mindless snacking is a bigger issue than coffee in the morning. Coffee in the afternoon is a problem and I will work on that instead.

Breakfast(8:15am):

-2 cups coffee black

-3 Egg Muffins (each: 1 egg, ½ piece bacon, zucchini, red onion)

Lunch:

-6oz Steak

-1 cup Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes

-1.2 cup Blueberries

-1 cup of Wild Berry Zinger Tea – Celestial Seasons (naturally decaf)

Dinner:

-Pear

-1 ¼ cups of Chocolate Chili

Snack:

-16oz (original) Almond Milk Latte with sugar free Vanilla flavoring

Water Intake: 88oz

September 11, 2012

*Day 11 Post Whole 30

*Super long day yesterday. Worked and then therapy and then straight to 3 back to back massages. I wasn't home until 10:30 and the BF was already in bed. I wish there was a bit of a break but I am also glad that there was 3 on one night and only one left for the week. It gives me time to get some running in and go shoe shopping for Saturday's wedding.

Breakfast(8:15am):

-Coffee

-3 Egg Muffins

-Banana

Lunch(11:45am):

-Chocolate Chili

-Pear

Dinner(7pm):

-Shrimp Stir Fry - with Coconut Aminos... not really understanding the love here.

-Red Wine

-Frozen Mango chunks

Snack:

-2 tablespoons Almond Butter

Water Intake: 80oz

September 12, 2012

*Day 12 Post Whole30

*Much better sleep last night. I remembered to take my Natural Calm last before bed and I feel it really makes the difference. I will need to pick up a bigger tub next time I am at the health food store. If only it tasted better. I wonder if I could put it in tea and still have the same effects.

*Feeling really unfocused with my workouts lately. I do not have a schedule or an upcoming race so I feel really unorganized. When I feel unorganized I feel unmotivated. I need to sit down and put together a plan of attack.

Breakfast(10am):

-2 cups Coffee (spread out over the morning)

-1 cup of shrimp stir-fry

Lunch(12:15pm): *Met a girlfriend at the pub

-Steak Cobb Salad – mixed greens, steak, HBE, bacon, guac, tiny amount of
cheese
, red onion, cherry tomatoes, (no dressing)

*Upper Body Workout & Run 5k in 27:03 (6.9mph)

Dinner(7pm):

-Almond Butter

-Banana

-1 cup Egg Whites

-Medium Salsa (2 tablespoons)

Snack:

-4pm 1/2 cup of shrimp stir-fry

-10pm Almond Butter

Water Intake: 104oz

Hi Ren!!! I was just wondering why the almond butter is a no-no?? I was eating it during my W30, and now I'm wondering if my W30 was awash!!

Hope all is well with you.. sounds like you're right on track with everything...

I was wondering too, I have some with an apple pretty regularly.

Yes, I think I bought it after I read a post of yours Derval... your posts often make my mouth water, and get me trying new recipies!

Don't worry Ladies!!! I put Almond Butter as a No-No because I have been consuming it by the spoonful for no reason whatsoever. I just reach into the fridge, grab a tablespoon, and eat a massive quantity of it. If I am eating it with an apple or on a banana as a planned element of my meal (if it is my healthy fat portion) I don't really consider it bad. However I have a problem... pre-whole30 it was with peanut butter. I would eat it by the spoonful and now I am doing the same thing with the almond butter. I am recognizing it as an unhealthy eating pattern like I started with the coffee addiction.

Don't worry Ladies!!! I put Almond Butter as a No-No because I have been consuming it by the spoonful for no reason whatsoever. I just reach into the fridge, grab a tablespoon, and eat a massive quantity of it. If I am eating it with an apple or on a banana as a planned element of my meal (if it is my healthy fat portion) I don't really consider it bad. However I have a problem... pre-whole30 it was with peanut butter. I would eat it by the spoonful and now I am doing the same thing with the almond butter. I am recognizing it as an unhealthy eating pattern like I started with the coffee addiction.

Ah, it's like me & that friggin crack coconut butter, lucky the cb is so hard to get out of the jar, if it was softer I'd be in BIG trouble.

PHEWF!

Ah, it's like me & that friggin crack coconut butter, lucky the cb is so hard to get out of the jar, if it was softer I'd be in BIG trouble.

I had issues with the coconut butter too. I ate an entire jar myself during my W30.. Mine was hard too, so I emptied the jar, used a beater to soften and mix it, then put it back in the jar... after that, it was like butter(pardon the pun).

September 13, 2012

*Day 13 Post Whole 30

*Horrible sleep last night. Thanks BF for coming home at midnight when I expected you at 10 and I have to get up at 5am. UGH.

*Woke up super grumpy because I missed my first spin class. 4.5 hours of sleep is just not enough to get out of bed and go to spin. Mind you had I of gone I would have felt way better about myself and my day today. I am going for a run this evening.

*Feeling pretty bloated/pudgy today. Wondering if it all of the extra egg whites? Or maybe that TOM coming on. I can never tell with the later as my schedule is totally off whack still.

*Just after lunch I started feeling my stomach rumble. And then a really Quick trip to the bathroom. Not sure what it could be? Maybe that tiny bit of cheese from yesterday's salad? But then why didn't the tiny bit of cheese bug me on Sunday after it was in Saturday's dinner salad? There was more on that salad than yesterday. Could it be too many egg whites? HELP PLEASE.

*AHHH – The front desk has put out Halloween Candy! I was ok when they had gross Wurther candies.

Breakfast(8:30am):

-1 cup Egg Whites

-Pear

-2 cups Coffee

Lunch(12:20pm):

-Chicken Breast – BBQ'd

-1 whole Orange Bell Pepper - Raw

-3 medium Carrots – Raw

Lunch 2 (4pm):

-Can of Tuna w/ 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce (contains sugar)

-3 medium Carrots – Raw

Dinner:

-Shrimp Salad Rolls

-Peanut Sauce

Snack:

-5:30pm 2 tablespoons Almond Butter

Water Intake: 70oz

Hi Renee,

I totally understand about the almond butter. I only have it on rare occasions because I have a problem stopping with it too. I am afraid to even try the coconut butter. :huh: I think I have had almond butter twice in the last 2 or 3 months. The first time I just had a tablespoon. But the other day I was eating it with an apple and I have to say I dipped more than once. So, I get it!

Hugs and have a super day,

Faith

I can't keep it in the house either. Too tempting. Could eat spoon after spoon of PB too. Love that stuff TOO MUCH. Sunbutter isn't as tasty, but can't keep that either. If I need Sunbutter I just grind up what I need for sunshine sauce in my VitaMix. No extra sitting around my house...

September 13, 2012

*Day 13 Post Whole 30

*Just after lunch I started feeling my stomach rumble. And then a really Quick trip to the bathroom. Not sure what it could be? Maybe that tiny bit of cheese from yesterday's salad? But then why didn't the tiny bit of cheese bug me on Sunday after it was in Saturday's dinner salad? There was more on that salad than yesterday. Could it be too many egg whites? HELP PLEASE.

Hey Renee! I hope you're feeling better! The stomach upset couldv'e been caused by impending TOM, I know it has that affect for a lot of women. Also the combination of not enough sleep and stress can wreak havoc on your digestion. Sometimes it's not the food itself, but trying to digest the food when your system is already stressed. Anyway, hope that is all behind you now!

Love your posts. I'm still doing my first W30 and reading your logs has been really inspiring. Keep it up!

After a very very indulgent weekend including a wedding catered by food trucks (0 options for those eating 'healthy' let alone on plan) I am back on track this morning.

Sunday was a write off too. I was pretty hungover and therefore needed some greasy on the go food. I am ok with all of my choices this weekend as it was a celebration and the food at the wedding was incredible.

But back on track until Thanksgiving (which will be much easier to navigate!)

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Now to catch up on your posts.

Monday, September 17, 2012

*Day 17 Post Whole30

*What a weekend! The co-founder of my BF's company got married on Saturday and it was one of the most spectacular weddings I had ever been to. We stayed on track up until the wedding and then there was no options from there (unless we brought our own food). The wedding was catered by local food trucks (a first for them). They provided appetizers, the main course, and then deserts and a midnight snack. I enjoyed each and every bite. I also enjoyed the champagne, and the red wine. We stayed out late and danced the night away. I could feel my body revolting against my sugar, gluten, dairy filled choices. But I chose to ignore it for the weekend. I did take some “Gluten Defense†(A gluten & dairy enzyme that helps your body digest some of the hidden elements). Sunday morning was some McDonald's breakfast, dinner was a gluten free pizza from our favorite place. I was hungover all day (which included a 3 hour nap) and did not feel like eating healthy. I knew Monday would be a fresh start and I was totally ok with it all.

*Still feeling fairly ill this morning. I feel 10lbs heavier, I haven't slept well, my skin broke out, my stomach feels sick and bloated.

*MY PLAN: stay 100% Whole30 Compliant until Thanksgiving (visiting my folks in Edmonton). No Nuts, No Nut Butters, less fruit & no desert (even fruit) this time around. Whole19!

Breakfast(8am):

-Sweet Potato (oven roasted with cumin & chili powder)

-1/3 Avocado

-2 cups Coffee

*Strides & Strength Class @ Gym – 50 minutes (90 second cardio intervals with 90 second strength intervals)

Lunch:

-BBQ chicken breast (with spices no sauce)

-BBQ Asparagus (EVOO, S&P in tinfoil on the BBQ)

-BBQ Green Beans (EVOO, S&P in tinfoil on the BBQ)

Dinner:

-Chipotle Chicken Sausage

-Spicy Oven Roasted Sweet Potato

Water Intake: 104oz

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

*Day 18 Post Whole30

*Much better sleep last night. I feel lighter already from eating clean for a day. We batched cooked a ton of food last night and I feel prepped and ready to tackle the week.

*Day had some ups and downs as far as energy, internal stomach feelings etc.

Breakfast (8:20am):

-3 Egg Cupcakes

-2 cups Coffee (black)

Lunch:

-1 Chipotle Chicken Sausage

-1 cup Spicy Oven Roasted Sweet Potato

-1 cup Balsamic Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Pre-Workout Snack:

-3pm Coffee

-4:15pm ½ cup of Spicy Oven Roasted Sweet Potato

*Hill Sprint Run w/ Tiara – 50 Minutes – 10 hill repeats

Dinner:

-3/4 cup Spaghetti Squash

-1/2 cup Tikka Masala Sauce

-Lean Ground Beef

-Unsweetened Apple Sauce (Single Serve Container)

-Peppermint Decaf Tea

Water Intake: 100oz

Archived