Apple Cider & Almond Butter

Irish33

I will be starting my Whole30 this week and just finished stocking my pantry however when i read the book it stated that almond butter & apple cider is good to go, but when i looked at the ingredients label it stated they both had sugar.  Does this mean I just have to search more stores to find whole 30 compliant almond butter & apple cider?  One of the recipes in the new book even calls for the apple cider!  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Yes we have apple cider here from the local farm

You may want to check your stores or online who stocks which compliant ones have no sugar added do you have a Whole Food Market near you?

Also not for drinking just for cooking and marinating

Almond butter or any nut butter is compliant but not for snacking

You'll get lots of help if you poke around the forum

Good luck

Apple cider is ok as an ingredient (like in dressing), but not as a beverage. Take a look at the ingredients label. If that doesn't have added sugar (or anything else off-plan) you are ok, even if the nutrition facts has sugar.

I ran into the same problem when I was looking for apple cider for the chicken hash recipe. You have to search for compliant apple ciders or make your own. Also, almond butter is really easy to make. Buy some raw almonds and roast them in the oven for about 6 minutes, take them out and turn them, and then roast them for another 6 minutes. let the almonds cool and then put them in a food processor and blend on high until the contents become smooth. You might have to intermittently stop the processor and scrape the sides of the bowl because the contents tend to clump up. I would say that it takes a total of 5-10 minutes blending in the processor. 

Archived