Starting May 25th

Guest bfree11

Guest bfree11

Hi Whole 30 World!

I will be starting my first Whole 30 on Monday. I was strict Paleo for 6 months a few years ago and lost over 50 lb. I eventually went back to my old ways due to a lack of support system. After reading the Whole 30 book today, I've decided not to make that mistake again and to engage with the Whole 30 community every step of the way! I have committed to keeping a log in the forum each day and posting an instagram picture each day. I also signed up for the Whole 30 Daily and will read it religiously. 

Planning and Prepping for my Whole 30:

After reading the Whole 30 book, I made myself a binder with 4 tabs.

The first section is called "Whole 30 Daily." I will put the daily email I receive in this section so that I can easily refer back to them all.

The second section is called "Grocery Shopping." I printed out the downloads from the website and put them here. I will bring this binder to the grocery store with me the first few times so that I can reference the sheets with the names of all the chemicals, additives, etc. to avoid. I also have notebook paper in this section that I will use to write out each week's grocery list.

The third section is called "Meal Planning." I went through the Whole 30 book and wrote down a list of the recipes that I'd like to try and their page numbers in the book. I used this list, as well as my calendar, to figure out what I wanted to eat this week/what was realistic given this week's schedule. I wrote down the meals I plan to eat on my calendar and then I used this information to write my grocery list.

The fourth section is called "Daily Reflections." This is where I'll take notes throughout the day on things I want to mention in the log each night. I plan to use the Timeline mentioned in the book and the daily emails as talking points in my daily reflections.

Finally, I made an awesome calendar. See attached. I wrote the names of each of the Timeline sections to remind me to go read them throughout the journey. 

Why I'm doing the Whole 30:

I'm 26 and have been overweight since the 4th grade. My heaviest was 260 and my current weight is 186. I have maintained this weight for a few years and haven't been able to get much lower than that. It's gotten to the point where I've literally convinced myself that it must be physically impossible for me to lose any more weight and that I can never be fit. I've read all of Geneen Roth's books about emotional eating and I've tried to push myself to be someone who eats anything I want, but listens to my body and stops when I feel full. I constantly debate between which approach makes the most sense, eating everything, but with portion control vs. removing addictive foods that aren't nutrient dense completely form my diet. 

What I've realized is that I REALLY struggle with stopping when I'm full. I've also noticed that I get so down on myself when I overeat. A close friend of mine had gastric bypass surgery this year and it has forced her to eat small portions or else she'll get sick. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy for her, but also totally jealous! I have tried "pretending" I've had the surgery too as a strategy to help with portion control, without restricting types of food, but I constantly refuse to stop when I'm full. My cravings for unhealthy foods are out of control and I hate it.

The only time I truly was successful with weightloss was when I was strict Paleo a few years ago. While I'd like to have the willpower to be able to eat all foods in moderation, I really do miss the structure of a Paleo-esque lifestyle. I'm a very black and white person and I enjoy the structure that the Whole 30 has to offer. I think the Whole 30 is unique because it offers a supportive community and a lot of clear structure. 

Eating nutrient dense foods is logical. Science showing how our bodies struggle with tolerating/digesting grains and dairy is logical. I happen to love logic. I'm going all in. I'm ready to do this. I'm a little nervous about how it will affect my social life, but don't even like drinking anyways, it always makes me feel gross afterward. I want to feel good and see myself reach the finish line. 

My dream is to find a way to turn this into a career once I've reached my personal goals. I want to help others get organized and feel supported so they get reach the finish line too. 

LETS DO THIS.

Rebecca

post-70073-0-88531700-1432435738_thumb.j

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how organised you are, an inspiration. I started on 12th may, I thought I was organised but nothing like you, you've planned for the whole 30 days. I only did the first week and then just drifted so became a bit complacent. I agree the key is to plan, prep and keep looking at the plan. I made a choice to go off-road last night, after 12 days, feel a bit of a waste but I'm glad I did in a way as I now know that, whilst I enjoyed the glass of wine, I didn't like the way it made me feel this morning . I'm enjoying the plan and the thought of another 30 days does not upset me, if anything I know I can do it. I don't think I've stuck to anything longer than a week before. I too am starting again on Monday 25th, would love to keep in touch with our joint progress?

This could be me writing your entire post.....  I have thought the same thing about my current weight. I feel like I have tried to eat healthy and work out and I'm always about this weight, like my body thinks this is best even though I know it isn't. My husband is one of those people who are naturally thin, can eat whatever he wants but doesn't nearly have the appetite I do. I get so embarrassed when he'll shake his head and go I don't know how you can eat that much. He's not saying it to be critical of me, he's literally shocked at what I put down. I find myself binge eating in private (half a box of oatmeal cream pies in my office?) because I'm embarrassed of my cravings and that I can't stop at a taste of something, I have to have it all. 

I found that I did have success when I did my first whole 30 (I made it to day 27 and went off the wagon while away from home on a work trip). My portions and focus towards food changed, but it obviously wasn't enough for it to stick. I really hope this whole 30 is what you need to find some peace with how you're eating... I think doing paleo before allowed your body to recognize what foods do and don't work for you, but the paleo approach itself isn't enough for us to change our mindset. I'm starting my 2nd attempt today and I think I will be more successful this time because before I was hopeful about the effects, this time I'm confident about them, and I think with as many similarities as I see between us, it will be like that for you too. 

I also did some similar planning as you ...minus the binder :) I devoted a wall in my home office to a giant calendar and a goal chart. I don't have photos available but I listed out numbers 1 through 30 on a big sheet and will cross off numbers once I've lost those pounds and kept them off for 2 weeks (this was prior to my 30 of course). I made it 10 pounds since January but gained 3 back... My second chart was a reward poster in 5 pound increments. 5 pounds = new yoga bag, 10 = new yoga mat, etc etc. All things I want but I won't buy for myself until I've earned it. The last thing I found helpful was writing down my goals and rereading them constantly. Not just losing weight, but the fact that I don't want to cringe in a bathing suit, that I can do whatever workout and not feel winded, to not feel embarrassed when my husband tickles my belly because I think he's grossed out by my fat... I stopped rereading them and I need to change that. I want to remember my goals when I'm tempted by a treat or something off plan. 

Hopefully these help as well and I look forward to reading about your progress :) 

~Heather

Guest bfree11

Thank you both for reaching out! I am so thankful for your support. It feels so good to know that I'm not the only now going through this! I would love to keep in touch throughout this process! I'm going to start a thread in the "Log" section today to track my progress!

Guest bfree11

DAY 0

Hi Whole 30 World!

I will be starting my first Whole 30 on Monday. I was strict Paleo for 6 months a few years ago and lost over 50 lb. I eventually went back to my old ways due to a lack of support system. After reading the Whole 30 book today, I've decided not to make that mistake again and to engage with the Whole 30 community every step of the way! I have committed to keeping a log in the forum each day and posting an instagram picture each day. I also signed up for the Whole 30 Daily and will read it religiously. 

Planning and Prepping for my Whole 30:

After reading the Whole 30 book, I made myself a binder with 4 tabs.

The first section is called "Whole 30 Daily." I will put the daily email I receive in this section so that I can easily refer back to them all.

The second section is called "Grocery Shopping." I printed out the downloads from the website and put them here. I will bring this binder to the grocery store with me the first few times so that I can reference the sheets with the names of all the chemicals, additives, etc. to avoid. I also have notebook paper in this section that I will use to write out each week's grocery list.

The third section is called "Meal Planning." I went through the Whole 30 book and wrote down a list of the recipes that I'd like to try and their page numbers in the book. I used this list, as well as my calendar, to figure out what I wanted to eat this week/what was realistic given this week's schedule. I wrote down the meals I plan to eat on my calendar and then I used this information to write my grocery list.

The fourth section is called "Daily Reflections." This is where I'll take notes throughout the day on things I want to mention in the log each night. I plan to use the Timeline mentioned in the book and the daily emails as talking points in my daily reflections.

Finally, I made an awesome calendar. See attached. I wrote the names of each of the Timeline sections to remind me to go read them throughout the journey. 

Why I'm doing the Whole 30:

I'm 26 and have been overweight since the 4th grade. My heaviest was 260 and my current weight is 183.6. I have maintained this weight for a few years and haven't been able to get much lower than that. It's gotten to the point where I've literally convinced myself that it must be physically impossible for me to lose any more weight and that I can never be fit. I've read all of Geneen Roth's books about emotional eating and I've tried to push myself to be someone who eats anything I want, but listens to my body and stops when I feel full. I constantly debate between which approach makes the most sense, eating everything, but with portion control vs. removing addictive foods that aren't nutrient dense completely form my diet. 

What I've realized is that I REALLY struggle with stopping when I'm full. I've also noticed that I get so down on myself when I overeat. A close friend of mine had gastric bypass surgery this year and it has forced her to eat small portions or else she'll get sick. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy for her, but also totally jealous! I have tried "pretending" I've had the surgery too as a strategy to help with portion control, without restricting types of food, but I constantly refuse to stop when I'm full. My cravings for unhealthy foods are out of control and I hate it.

The only time I truly was successful with weightloss was when I was strict Paleo a few years ago. While I'd like to have the willpower to be able to eat all foods in moderation, I really do miss the structure of a Paleo-esque lifestyle. I'm a very black and white person and I enjoy the structure that the Whole 30 has to offer. I think the Whole 30 is unique because it offers a supportive community and a lot of clear structure. 

Eating nutrient dense foods is logical. Science showing how our bodies struggle with tolerating/digesting grains and dairy is logical. I happen to love logic. I'm going all in. I'm ready to do this. I'm a little nervous about how it will affect my social life, but don't even like drinking anyways, it always makes me feel gross afterward. I want to feel good and see myself reach the finish line. 

My dream is to find a way to turn this into a career once I've reached my personal goals. I want to help others get organized and feel supported so they get reach the finish line too. 

LETS DO THIS.

post-70073-0-13417500-1432480475_thumb.j

I am starting tomorrow as well.  I am very excited and enjoyed reading your stories.  It is great to hear that other people are going through the same things I am. My goal with this is to create a much healthier relationship with food and learn to stop eating when I am full.  I know there will be days when this is hard and hopefully we can all motivate each other!  

Hi Everyone,

You ladies look really organized. I've read the book, planned my meals and went to the grocery store. All set and ready to start on the 25th. Would love to join your group so we can provide support for each other as we take on this journey.

I have always been overweight. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and that got me to change my lifestyle and loose 75 lbs. I have my diabetes under control with exercise and I'm happy to say I don't need medication. This past fall I had major surgery and have unfortunately gained back 40 lbs. I'm tired of feeling like crap and ready to make a change.

Good luck to us.....we can do this!

Guest bfree11

Woohoo! I'm so excited to know that I'm not the only one starting tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you guys as I push myself through the first day! There's got to be more to life than food. Let's try to find other things throughout our day that fill us with happiness and without regrets! Thank you guys for reaching out. Let me know how your first day goes!

Good morning all,

Had a great breakfast this morning and have the day all planned out. I've already been out walking the dog (thought I would get that in before the bad weather hits). Looking forward to a relaxing holiday today.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with broccoli, mushrooms, and red peppers along with some strawberries.

Have a great day !

Good for you, holidays can be hard, I know an extra day off if I don't have plans means another day of me sitting around the house and wanting to eat! 

I did eggs for breakfast as well, but by lunch I felt like I was hit by a bus. I don't think it has anything to do with my diet, but the German pollen has been crazy and my husband was just sick for the past week. I was able to eat lunch and then I sat around on the couch for the past few hours. I don't get sick very often so i'm already feeling better, which is good because I don't want to break plan on day 2, but I have too much to do this week! :) 

How is everyone else who started today?

Things are going well thus far....just finished lunch. Made the mayo and then put together a protein salad (chicken, celery, green grapes, toasted almonds all mix with about a 1/4 cup of the mayo. Little salt and pepper and it was great. Served it over some greens and had an apple. Best of all have lots leftover for lunch tomorrow.

I'm feeling really good but I must say I'm waiting for the other foot to drop....waiting for that headache to kick in .

Tonight I'll be making the walnut crusted pork tenderloin along with some steamed veggies.

Heather; Hope you're feeling better soon. Good luck with your busy week....we can do this, we're worth it.

Well I better take the dog out...she's looking at me a little cross eyed.....oops I think she's ready for her afternoon walk.

Guest bfree11

Hey ladies! 

Heather, I hope you feel better soon! Jean, sounds like you had an awesome day and cooked some good meals! How did everything taste?

For breakfast, I used lacinato kale as a roll up with egg, avocado, and cucumber inside. 

Lunch: Salad with rotisserie chicken

Dinner: Make the steak from the book that has the shallot garlic sauce and avocado and asparagus (OMG so good!) I'm going to have the leftovers for dinner tomorrow!

I drank lots of water and some kombucha, which feels like a treat!

I went for a long bike ride after work and felt good all day! I honestly feel relieved to get rid of the junk in my diet. I didn't find the day hard. I had a plan and it was easy to say no to temptations because I was fixated on following the "rules." I'm a very black and white person. I do well with rules, so this structure is really helping me!

So proud of all of us! woohoo!

Guest bfree11

Day 1

I totally crushed Day 1!

Breakfast: lacinato kale roll up with egg, cucumber, and avocado inside

Lunch: salad with chicken and kombucha

Dinner: steak with garlic/shallot sauce, avocado, asparagus, and a little more kombucha

I felt a huge sense of relief all day today. Having rules, structure, and a plan, makes it a lot easier for me to make good choices. I'm very black and white, so these rules are great. Someone offered me a sugary drink today and it was so simple to say no. I just explained that I can't have sugar. It made total sense. I think of it almost like an allergy, grains, dairy, alcohol, and sugar are just not not an option anymore. I feel like I don't have to have willpower anymore because I can just rely on the rules to guide me, rather than my own choices. 

I definitely have that "Rockstar" feeling that was discussed on the timeline for Day 1. I went for a long bike ride after work and it felt so good to be active and eating clean. I thought all 3 of my meals were delicious today too! 

The Whole 30 Daily email today talked about this challenge being "a test of the level of respect you have for the body you were given." This really speaks to me. A friend of mine reminded me that choosing this lifestyle is a lot of work and maintaining is is a lifetime project. Unfortunately, I have issues with food addiction. Other people have other illnesses or addictions that they aren't happy about either, but this is mine. If I want to show my body a high level of respect, then I need to stop eating foods that make me feel gross and gain weight. 

I was a little embarrassed to tell my family about what I'm doing because they've heard me talk about weight loss plans a million times and they never stick. I just hope I can make it to the finish line of my weight loss this time around, which will take way more than 30 days. 

Time will tell. So far, I'm on the right track though!

Hi ladies, I am starting tomorrow and would love to join in as well! I believe support is crucial to success! Congrats on your first day!

Look forward to posting tomorrow evening!

Craziest issue I am having is not chewing gum! I am a gum addict! I know I can do this!

Guest bfree11

Hey Irongirl! Welcome! 

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about your first day. The rules helped me get through the day with ease. I like that there's no wiggle room, you don't have to make tricky choices, because the choices are already made of you. No calorie counting and rationalizing treats and cheat days, no guilt. It's awesome! I thought the meals I had today were really delicious and they made my body feel good. The gum is a tricky one, but I like what the book said about how the constant chewing does send the wrong signals to your body. 

You can totally do this! We're all so lucky to have each other!

Hello all! I started today as well. Was fine all day until tonight when all I want is dessert. Funny thing is I'm not a typical dessert person but knowing I can't have something sweet is already kicking in. I have done a whole 30 successfully before. Lost a few pounds but more importantly inches. I just like the idea of having a more natural and healthy diet. My issue last time was not doing the reintegration right and just fell back to old habits. This is my first time posting because I feel like if I put it out there I'm more accountable. :) good luck everyone!

Hi! I would love to join this group! My daughter and I started 3 days ago, so far so good, I too am waiting for the other shoe to drop, this hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. I am doing this to feel better, to feel younger to be happier with how I look and to have a more normal relationship with food. I have tried every diet in the past, with results but I never seem to be able to maintain my weight losses, I am hopeful that 30 days of being true to the program will kill some of the cravings and help me to figure out a healthier relationship with food. My daughter is home from college for the summer and is hoping to lose the freshman 15, it is nice having someone one else in the house, we are keeping each other honest. My husband is naturally thin, very in shape and always in control around food, so he never understands how difficult and complex food relationships can be. Looking forward to having others go through the 30 days with!

Way to go! I really identify with your background story - being overweight as a kid/teenager and then losing some of it only to plateau for years! I even saw a nutritionist who said I am the healthiest 20-something eater she has ever seen - when that didn't help, I went to my doctor and asked for help, thinking it may be something with my thyroid/hormones. She ran tests and everything was normal except for low iron. Her advice to lose weight? "Is the rest of your family tall and thick? If so, maybe this is just where your body wants to be. Don't worry about it." WHAT?

So now I am trying Whole 30 for the first time to see if I can kickstart the journey to lose these extra 30 lbs. I would love to follow your instagram! 

Also, I was looking at your calendar (which is a great way of keeping yourself accountable, I'm going to make one now, too!) and was curious about the black text across the top of each week?

Thanks, yesterday and this morning was rough, but I'm feeling better now, thanks for the concern :) I actually had some compliant crustless chicken pot pie in my freezer which is reminiscent of a chicken stew, so that was as close to homemade chicken soup as I could find!

Heatherha, I didn't do reintegration last time either (I tried but I already fell off the wagon) and I think it would have been so helpful.

Luisem, my husband is the same way. He doesn't get why I have an issue resisting the snacks he's eating while we're on the couch together. In his head, just don't eat them! But I'm like I want them, and you get them so why can't I get them? .... I feel more like a child but its way more than that, haha. I also hope to get some control over what I'm eating, and if I chose to snack or eat something unhealthy its because I made a conscious decision to.

Good morning or evening (depending on your location),

Got up this morning feeling pretty good, just a very slight headache. Pretty proud of myself for making it through day 1! This morning my breakfast ( meal 1) was a bit strange but it worked. Left over walnut crusted pork tenderloin mixed in with a mushroom, red pepper, and broccoli sauté. I'm just getting ready to head into the kitchen and get the pork carnita's going in the crockpot. I'll serve that along with the cauliflower rice this evening. Lunch will be protein salad (chicken, celery, green grapes, toasted almonds and mayo) over a bed of greens.

I also have the same problem with my husband he just doesn't get my addiction to sugar and carbs. Oh well, even given that he is truly supportive and for that I'm thankful.

Hope everyone has a great day. Remember.....we can do this! I'm off to start dinner and then take the dog for a walk before the rain hits.

Guest bfree11

Thanks Kate! I'm so convinced that I'll never be able to get the excess weight off, but I figure that Whole 30 is worth a shot! The key for me is getting grains, dairy, and sugar out of my diet because I'm so addicted and I just can't stop! 

I would love to follow you on instagram too! I am planning on posting one picture a day to track my journey! My name is bfree11

Yay! I can't wait to see your calendar! The Black text represents the name of each of the stages on the timeline in the Whole 30 Book. It's a reminder each day to go and read that section in the book.

So thankful to have great people out there for support!

Rebecca

Good Morning! Pretty good day so far, I am having a little trouble with vegetables for breakfast, it just doesn't seem right! If I am making an omelet or frittata I am fine incorporating them in, but otherwise, it doesn't really work for me, I need to figure that out. Today I had eggs, avocado and a nectarine, lunch will be some leftover steak and a green salad and dinner tonight we are going to Chipotle, very excited for that. I have the day off from work and it is gloomy and rainy so I was thinking we could go to the movies this afternoon, but I don't think I can resist the popcorn, so I am mixing that idea.

Heatherha, I know what you mean about the desert, in the evening I just keep thinking about it, and typically I don't have desert, just special occasions really. I am hoping it will pass in a day or two.

No headaches or sluggishness yet, yeah for that. Good luck today everyone.

Archived