Starting May 25th

Guest bfree11

The zucchini noodles sound great, I will have to try those soon, thanks for sharing! I just tried a new salad dressing recipe tonight, I thought I would share,

Creamy Avocado Dressing, 1 avocado, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 clove pressed garlic, juice of 1/2 lime, bunch of basil or cilantro, salt and pepper to taste, put everything into the blender and blend till smooth. It was very yummy, we were getting a little bored with oil and vinegar.

Good luck everyone!

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 woohoo we're rockin this! Feeling good today and ready to hit the day hard. Plan to get my 10,000 steps in early today...before the rain hits. In the evenings I'm loving watching the French Tennis Open. Love to watch and play tennis. Hope to hit the courts this weekend with my husband.

Food prep it getting easier as the week goes on.....today is:

Meal 1: leftover ground beef in marinara sauce over a mix of sautéed veggies

Meal 2: protein chicken salad over a bed of green with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 3: leftover carnita's with sautéed veggies

Have a great day everyone!

Day 6 for me. Yesterday I had an awful craving attack ( oh how I wanted potato chips ) I had a hard boiled egg with a few olives instead and dove into my jigsaw puzzle. Whew crisis averted and all is well. Our farmers markets are due to open next week....looking forward to them. At one of the markets a guy who sharpens knives is always there...boy do my knifes need sharpening given all the chopping I'm doing these days.

Today is pretty low key for me...heading out to a card making class (yes I'm one of those people who hand makes all of my greeting cards) this morning. This evening my husband and I will be cheering on our beloved Chicago Blackhawks hoping they make it into the Stanley Cup Finals.

Today...

Meal 1: eggs with a medley of veggies
Meal 2: protein chicken salad over a bed of greens 
Meal 3: compliant Italian sausage on the grill served with compliant marinara sauce and veggies

Have a great day everyone!

Guest bfree11

Hey guys!

I'm on Day 6, but I had a super busy Day 5 and haven't posted about it yet.

Day 5

Breakfast: Lara Bar, black coffee

Lunch: Salad with chicken, kombucha

Dinner: Nothing :(

Today was a crazy busy day and while I didn't cheat, I also didn't eat enough food. I had to get blood work done in the morning, which meant I needed to fast and then eat on the way to work. Then I had to set up for a huge 600 person catering event all day and then work the event all night. It was a lot of fun, but I didn't have time to eat and wasn't surrounded by compliant food. My coworkers kept telling me to just eat something non-compliant because it would be better than nothing. I thought about it, but I resisted. I didn't want to start back at Day 1 and I didn't want to punish my body just because I wasn't a good planner. Beef jerky, fruit, nuts, etc. would have been awesome things to have packed in my bag! Lesson learned. I was hungry all day, but too busy to focus on it. I stayed hydrated all day at least. It was weird to see all of the food we were catering and not try any of it, like everyone else was doing. When people asked why, I simply said, "I'm currently addicted to grains, dairy, and sugar. Once I start eating those foods, I just can't stop. Until I can navigate a better relationship with those foods, they need to stay out of my diet." Overeating these foods has made me feel out of control and caused me to become overweight. 

At this point, I have no idea how I could take a bite of any non-compliant foods without spiraling out of control. I hope I get some clarity as I continue the journey to Day 30!

Rebecca

Guest bfree11

Day 5

Dinner: Nothing  :(

Today was a crazy busy day and while I didn't cheat, I also didn't eat enough food. I had to get blood work done in the morning, which meant I needed to fast and then eat on the way to work. Then I had to set up for a huge 600 person catering event all day and then work the event all night. It was a lot of fun, but I didn't have time to eat and wasn't surrounded by compliant food. My coworkers kept telling me to just eat something non-compliant because it would be better than nothing. I thought about it, but I resisted. I didn't want to start back at Day 1 and I didn't want to punish my body just because I wasn't a good planner. Beef jerky, fruit, nuts, etc. would have been awesome things to have packed in my bag! Lesson learned. I was hungry all day, but too busy to focus on it. I stayed hydrated all day at least. It was weird to see all of the food we were catering and not try any of it, like everyone else was doing. When people asked why, I simply said, "I'm currently addicted to grains, dairy, and sugar. Once I start eating those foods, I just can't stop. Until I can navigate a better relationship with those foods, they need to stay out of my diet." Overeating these foods has made me feel out of control and caused me to become overweight. 

At this point, I have no idea how I could take a bite of any non-compliant foods without spiraling out of control. I hope I get some clarity as I continue the journey to Day 30!

Rebecca

Hey guys!

I'm on Day 6, but I had a super busy Day 5 and haven't posted about it yet.

Day 5

Dinner: Nothing :(

Rebecca

Congrats on you getting through the day!

Guest bfree11

How's everybody doing? Any successes or challenges? 

Day 6

Breakfast: kombucha, veggie omelet, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: Lara Bar, freeze dried strawberries & blueberries, plantain chips

Dinner: Meatballs, tomato sauce, zucchini noodles

Exercise: Rested today after a long day of physical labor yesterday

Today was grocery shopping day. I started by picking some dinner ideas and coming up with a list of ingredients. I decided to give Trader Joe's a try. 

I bought:

frozen grass fed burgers

ground grass fed beef for meatballs

zucchini for noodles

roasted garlic tomato sauce - found a whole30 approved one

freeze dried strawberries & blueberries and plantain chips - I wasn't sure if it was a great idea to buy these items. They are definitely "Foods with No Breaks" for me, but the serving size is really big and the nutrition facts aren't too bad. I know we're not supposed to have treats because of the psychological impact. I still need to think more about how foods like this fit into my life.

cherries & blackberries - I didn't eat any fruit the first week, so I thought it might make meals a little more exciting to add some fruit. Not too much though!

eggs - they didn't have pasture eggs, so I just went with the most expensive organic eggs

apple & cinnamon - I'm thinking of using these with eggs one morning for an interesting change

hot dogs - applewood whole 30 approved

romaine lettuce - makes a great hot dog bun

sweet potato - going to make fries or chips with the burgers or hot dogs. I'll use the lettuce for the buns.

I felt more confident in the grocery store this week. I was in and out so quickly, since most of the store is not whole 30 approved. I like spending a weekend day figuring out what the "food rhythm" will be for the following week. I'm lucky that I never have to worry about packing a lunch because I get to eat for free at work, that makes life much easier! I use my dinner leftovers for dinner the following day, which means I only need to cook every other day. I cook eggs every morning because it really doesn't take that long and I'm typically not rushed. I do find that my schedule and lifestyle are very helpful for the challenge. I have a lot of control and flexibility in my kitchen and schedule.

I'm definitely still mourning the loss of cheesy, bread-like things, but I'm not going to cave! 

Guest bfree11

Day 6

Breakfast: kombucha, veggie omelet, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: Lara Bar, freeze dried strawberries & blueberries, plantain chips

Dinner: Meatballs, tomato sauce, zucchini noodles

Exercise: Rested today after a long day of physical labor yesterday

Today was grocery shopping day. I started by picking some dinner ideas and coming up with a list of ingredients. I decided to give Trader Joe's a try. 

I bought:

frozen grass fed burgers

ground grass fed beef for meatballs

zucchini for noodles

roasted garlic tomato sauce - found a whole30 approved one

freeze dried strawberries & blueberries and plantain chips - I wasn't sure if it was a great idea to buy these items. They are definitely "Foods with No Breaks" for me, but the serving size is really big and the nutrition facts aren't too bad. I know we're not supposed to have treats because of the psychological impact. I still need to think more about how foods like this fit into my life.

cherries & blackberries - I didn't eat any fruit the first week, so I thought it might make meals a little more exciting to add some fruit. Not too much though!

eggs - they didn't have pasture eggs, so I just went with the most expensive organic eggs

apple & cinnamon - I'm thinking of using these with eggs one morning for an interesting change

hot dogs - applewood whole 30 approved

romaine lettuce - makes a great hot dog bun

sweet potato - going to make fries or chips with the burgers or hot dogs. I'll use the lettuce for the buns.

I felt more confident in the grocery store this week. I was in and out so quickly, since most of the store is not whole 30 approved. I like spending a weekend day figuring out what the "food rhythm" will be for the following week. I'm lucky that I never have to worry about packing a lunch because I get to eat for free at work, that makes life much easier! However, I am getting bored with the very few whole 30 choices we have to offer at work, so I need to work on getting more creative. I use my dinner leftovers for dinner the following day, which means I only need to cook every other day. I cook eggs every morning because it really doesn't take that long and I'm typically not rushed. I do find that my schedule and lifestyle are very helpful for the challenge. I have a lot of control and flexibility in my kitchen and schedule.

I'm definitely still mourning the loss of cheesy, bread-like things, but I'm not going to cave! 

It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. I'm staying compliant but I don't think my meals fit the template as well as they should. I love veggies but I'm not getting enough of them, or at least not as many as I"d like. For example, last night we had pork chops for dinner and we knew we needed to use the rest of our cauliflower. I assumed my husband was also making the broccoli I paired with the meal, he thought because we needed to use the cauli it was a substitute. End of story... we didn't have enough to eat at dinner. The hubby who isn't doing Whole 30 can easily snack after dinner, but I can't. Although he's pretty healthy as well, he's a big snacker and so I'm hoping he'll start to understand that our meals are changing a bit. Because right now this isn't sustainable. 

In good news, I made what looks like an awesome breakfast quiche... I shredded some sweet potato and coated a pie dish in it and baked it for a bit. I added some sautéed veggies and scrambled eggs and baked a little longer. It looks good, I hope it'll switch up my morning routine, and it tastes good too. 

Oh, and my first attempt at making kombucha failed today. I was all ready to bottle it and just found mold at the top. OH well, i half expected that to happen, now to look up why that happened and get a new SCOBY. I'm still excited about trying to make it. 

Congrats on everyone getting through the weekend :) 

Good morning everyone! Starting day six hope you all have a great successful day! Feeling thankful that my son and friend introduced me to Whole 30!

Does anyone know why my restless leg symptoms seem worse? Thought maybe because my nervous system is on alert due to change in diet and sugar withdrawal.

Hi Everybody,

Wow today is Day 7 for me….who would of ever thought I'd make it this far.  Yeah for me!  Today I went with my husband to the Art Institute and browsed around for a good 3 hours (trying to get my steps in while the weather is so yucky outside).  Always enjoy getting a little culture.

Things i've noticed over the last week; my rings are really loose, my skin is clear and fresh looking, my energy was good most days although still not sleeping the way I'd like, best of all not a single negative digestive episode..woohoo, I'm amazed at how i did not snack at all this week (I was the queen of snacking, I'd rather snack than eat a meal).

Today….

Meal 1: hard boiled eggs over a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 2: leftover compliant italian sausage with peppers and onions and some compliant marinara sauce

Meal 3: pork tenderloin with green beans.

Have a great day!

Hello Everyone!

I can't believe it's day 7! I haven't posted in a bit for two reasons. One I was a bit cranky, tired, blech. I feel like I was experiencing everything they said we'd go through in 3 days. But it's getting better. Second was that my husband and I decided to go on an impromptu camping trip this weekend.

For the camping trip first I panicked. We go camping quite a bit and I can usually food prep on a moments notice. But that was before whole 30. No smores, no hot dogs, NO BEER!? I went to the grocery store Friday night though and I was proud. We do eggs in the morning. I already had made my own seasoned breakfast sausage and my husband will eat that so breakfast is easy. I found some compliant hot dogs and brought veggies fruit and some chicken wings to grill.

I must say the trip went waaaaay better than expected. I tried the ranch dressing recipe from whole 30 and it is awesome. I put it on raw veggies and we made compliant buffalo wings. These are a new obsession. FYI franks hot sauce is already compliant and mixed with clarified butter to make buffalo wings tastes the same as normal. And grilled wings are way better than fried in my opinion any way. Mix that with the compliant ranch and I am in heaven.

The only thing that was tough was the no beer. There's nothing like a cold one around the campfire and having some infused water in my nalgene wasn't quite the same. I'm thinking of trying the la Croix waters because at least there's a can of something to hold when socializing.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Also I found a compliant mayonaisse. I don't know if anyone's tried making on their own but I fail every time. I get it online through Thrive market. It's made by primal kitchen. Olive oil and no sugar! message me if you'd like my email to sign up to order from them. it's one of those the more people that sign up the more you get to spend things but anyone can order first time for free.

Hope everyone is ready for week two!

Guest bfree11

Hey everyone! Sounds like we're all doing an awesome job of finding ways to still enjoy our social lives and activities, but while staying compliant. It's an adjustment, but it sure beats those awful feelings of disappointment after eating junk. I don't miss being ashamed of myself and feeling super bloated!

Day 7 

Breakfast: 1 egg, cinnamon, apple, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: 2 hot dogs wrapped in romaine,  a few cherries & blackberries

snack: plantain chips, freeze dried strawberries & blueberries

Dinner: zucchini noodles and meatballs

Exercise: long bike ride and yoga class

I did relatively well today. I really like the food I've been eating. The snacking wasn't a great idea though. It felt wrong and I felt like I just wanted to keep getting up and grabbing more. Plantain chips and fruit are "no brakes" foods for me I guess. I hope I can make some behavioral changes over the next 3 weeks. Even compliant foods can be dangerous for me. I need to work on this! Weekends are tough because there's a lot of downtime to think about food. I tried to tackle that by being active today. 

Guest bfree11

Day 7 

I did relatively well today. I really like the food I've been eating. The snacking wasn't a great idea though. It felt wrong and I felt like I just wanted to keep getting up and grabbing more. Plantain chips and fruit are "no brakes" foods for me I guess. I hope I can make some behavioral changes over the next 3 weeks. Even compliant foods can be dangerous for me. I need to work on this! Weekends are tough because there's a lot of downtime to think about food. I tried to tackle that by being active today. 

Bree11.... Oh no I just realized you're from Tampa.....Chicago girl here.....how about those Blackhawks? Should be a fun series with the Lightning....but sorry, we're going to have to bring Lord Stanley's cup back home to sweet Chicago :)

Hi Everyone, I have made it through day 9! I am getting used to this way of eating and feel pretty good. My jeans don't feel any looser yet, but I have noticed my rings aren't so tight, that is good news. It is so hard not to weigh myself, I really want the scale as a motivator! And I really want a glass of wine, and a cupcake! My birthday was 2 days before I started the whole 30, we went out for cupcakes that night, we got 3, that night I ate one and my daughter ate one, all day at work the next day I knew I had one more cupcake to eat before I started the whole 30, well, when I got home from work that day, it was gone! I seem to be having a hard time letting go of that damn cupcake! I still keep thinking about it.

Tonight for dinner was carnitas made in the crockpot, it sure was yummy, I served it with homemade pick de gallo and guacamole. Good stuff and lots of leftovers.

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

Hello Rebecca!!! You have put me to shame with your level of commitment and being organized for this challenge. I thought I was doing okay, but I'm not nearly as organized - I love, love, love the binder and calendar idea~!! I started my challenge on March 27th, so only about 2 days before you. I started kinda weird though because I 'practiced' for about 6 weeks before I decided to take the plunge.....the day I started I happened to be compliant all day so I made that my day 1. I knew it was going to be challenging for me because I have this innate fear of starvation....so I 'practiced' as I cleaned out my fridge and my cupboards of all the non-compliant foods and learned to incorporate compliant foods. As the weeks progressed, I had more and more meals that were compliant and less and less non-compliant snacks and treats in between.

I don't recommend starting this way, but for me - it is working so far. I'm still working on figuring out what I'm going to eat by "tomorrow night's" dinner and beyond and if I don't do some more planning, I will get bored with the food.

I do however, love all the foods I'm eating. I love vegetables and used to have a hard time getting enough vegetables. Now - its the focus of my meal. I try to get just enough meat or eggs like they recommend (like a palm size portion) and fill the rest of my plate with vegetables - even for breakfast!! I mix up the ways that I cook vegetables so each day is not the same.....I grill them, sautee them, cook in the microwave plain, and steam them. By the time I work through eating most of my veggies, I've eaten just the right amount of the proteins and I'm good and full. And mushrooms!!!! There is a wealth of health benefits to mushrooms, so I'm finding myself sticking them in there in all the various ways of cooking them too!

I wanted to comment on your constipation - I use to struggle with it as well but a friend of mine told me that a magnesium supplement is your best friend. I take usually 500 mg each morning, but if you are constipated you can take one in the evening as well until you feel as though the problem is handled. I have a hard time taking iron supplements and magnesium was a real game-changer for me!!! A good magnesium supplement is a good idea regardless as there are so many benefits. "It Starts with Food" addresses good supplements and they mentioned magnesium as well.

Well - just wanted to send you a shout out, as I was very encouraged by your posts. I just logged on to this forum tonight for the first time and your posts really jumped out at me. I will be following your progress and gleaning from your great ideas!!!!

Liz

Hi Everybody,

Day 8 and all is going well!  Woke up this morning feeling very awake and ready to face the day.  Thus far I've worked on the laundry (it's an all day affair), got my shopping done at Whole Foods, got the crock pot going with a compliance Chocolate Chile (should be interesting…I'll keep you posted as to how it goes), made some ground beef with compliant marinara sauce (will use it this week by putting it over sautéed veggies for lunch….was get pretty tired of the Chicken Protein salad), and hard boiled my eggs for the week.

Today:

Meal 1:  hard boiled eggs over a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 2:  ground beef with compliant marinara sauce and sautéed veggies

Meal 3:  chocolate chille with a side salad

Hope to get my 10,000 steps in today between the laundry, we finally have some decent weather although it's a bit chilly for June 1st.

Have a great day everyone…we're doing great! 

hello all,

I'm on day 9 and feeling great!  I faced quite a few temptations this weekend including taking kids for ice cream, still so many cookies in my pantry (for the kids), and went to the biggest candy store in the area to get salt water taffy for my daughter who got braces today.  she probably ate a pound of taffy, since she can't have it for the next year.   So feeling pretty good about that.

my biggest challenge is that I have got to 'get ahead' of meal planning, and making something with leftovers.  every meal i feel like i am just winging it or cooking up a storm based on whatever i picked in the moment (usually based on what's on hand).  I need to plan ahead more so i can have quiche or veggie soup next day or such.   every meal can't be a cooking challenge when i am pressed for time!

I've tried coconut creme larabars in a pinch which are pretty good.  Also got some of the RX bars, those are good too.  but plan to reserve those for extreme emergency or my upcoming business trip.

have a great Whole30 day!

-jenn

I meal plan for the week ahead on Wednesday. For example This Wednesday I will plan out what we are having for next week, then Saturday morning go to the grocery store. I do #mealprepSunday so I make all of the lunches for me and hubby for the week. Then I make the dinners for the week. We work opposite shifts. All I need to do when I get home is heat up my dinner then move the leftovers to the top shelf so hubby knows that was dinner. It takes the guess work out and also saves us money doing it this way.

• Administrators

Hey everyone! Sounds like we're all doing an awesome job of finding ways to still enjoy our social lives and activities, but while staying compliant. It's an adjustment, but it sure beats those awful feelings of disappointment after eating junk. I don't miss being ashamed of myself and feeling super bloated!

Day 7 

You are not eating enough, my friend.  Not at all!  Eggs as a protein are as many as you can hold in your hand, for most peopel that is at least 3-4.  Veggies should be filling your plate, a minimum of 1-3 cups.  Wrapping hot dogs in romaine isn't enough veggies.  The larabar/freeze dried fruit meal you ate a few posts up is only going to contribute to you feeling tired and craving non compliant foods more often.

In fact, undereating in general is going to contribute to having to use willpower (a limited resource) and trying to resist eating non compliant foods.  Please check out the meal template linked below.  Summary:

1-2 palms of protein at every meal (if it's eggs, that's as many as you can hold in your hand wihtout dropping)

1-3 cups veggies.  MORE if it's leafy greens. Try to include at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie a day, this will help with energy, mood and cravings)

1-2 thumbs fat or half to whole avocado or handful olives etc.

Repeat this three times a day.  

Try to engineer your meals so that they keep you going for 4-5 hours.  Snacking is discouraged but if you absolutely have to eat between meals, try to make it a protein and fat but ideally also veggies.

A really large portion of the magic and success of this program comes by following these recommendations.

• Administrators

Hey everyone! Thank you all so much for sharing your journey and support! We are so strong!

Day 3

Breakfast: Veggie omelet

Snack: Lara bar

Lunch: Salad with chicken and balsamic/olive oil, kombucha

Snack: Handful of almonds

Exercise: Hot yoga

Dinner: Chicken stirfry, chia kombucha

I made it through another day. I was faced with a lot of unhealthy temptations and people who didn't understand why I wouldn't just "have a little." I stayed strong, but thought a lot about the foods I can't have that I miss. Those foods that I want are delicious, but they make me feel gross. I need to convince myself that my health is important. Why am I okay with doing things to my body that aren't good for me?!

My anxiety about life after whole 30 is a reminder to me that I need to stay present and cross that bridge when I get there. Who knows how I'll feel about all of this in 27 days. My friends keep reminding me that I typically eat pretty well and exercise frequently. Even with the binges, I've been able to maintain my weight for years. So maybe, I'll use the strict whole 30 approach to get to my goal weight, and then worry about reintroduction when I'm in a maintenance phase.

One thing at a time!

Rebecca

Hey Rebecca, the fact that you are snacking tells me that your meals aren't large enough. Try bumping them up so that you are getting a 4-5 hour run between them. Larabars are only approved on Whole30 for absolute emergencies where you will be without food for hours at a time. Planning them in as snacks is not how they are meant to be used, sorry!

• Administrators

Good morning all! So, my meals so far haven't been perfect... a few with not enough veggies and most with not enough fat, but I think I'm successfully fighting any cravings and not being tempted by my husbands snacks or anything else.

BUT... I want to vent for a second because my office is right next to the building snack bar. I moved job positions/offices about 2 months ago. I made a joke when my boss showed me the office that I can't be next to the snack bar, and she didn't realize I was joking at first and I think was slightly offended until I was like oh no I don't have willpower I'll eat everything in there. The reality is... it was true. I ate chips that I normally wouldn't ever eat as a snack, there were some sugary snacks that I haven't had since I was about 8 at my grandmothers house that I started eating. And not just one snack a day, multiple times a day I would go into this little room and buy things I didn't need and I would feel awful after. The part that makes me mad now, is this is where our fridge is for our lunches, and the microwave is. Before you say it, no they can't/won't move the snackbar anywhere else, and no they can't/won't move the fridge/microwave anywhere else. We don't have a breakroom or kitchen so this little closet room area is the only storage area available for all of these things. Right now I'm doing fine, I can walk in for my lunch and out without any temptations, but what is going to be the thing to cause me to cave. Or is it after this 30 I may need to keep things in my office as an alternative, even though I don't want to snack? I don't know... more of just a rant than to ask for suggestions.

Does anyone else have situations at work or at home where they're concerned about as well? What are you doing to combat them?

Hi Higgles, try changing your mindset.  The snacking and noshing all day was then, this is now and you are committed to yourself and the choice you made to do this.  Nothing is going to cause you to cave, you are stronger than the pull of processed frankenfoods!  :D

Archived