Starting May 25th

Guest bfree11

Day 31.... I made it the full 30!

I can't tell you how awesome this feels... because you probably already know :) This was my second attempt at a whole 30 and it felt so different than my first attempt in February. I researched for several weeks before my first try, I was stocking up food and recipes, I was reading labels, but I don't think I fully "got" it. I made concessions when I shouldn't have, and although I felt a bit better, I think I needed that slip up to force a restart and this time has been so much better. As weird as this sounds, I'm one of those people whose period got messed up, it came a week early and was much different than in the past 2 years (since coming off long-term BC my cycle never returned to normal). And all I could think of was, omg, I made a big enough change to my diet that its affecting my hormones enough to change, and this is a good thing!

So the good points... first off, I lost 9.8 lbs, which is more than I expected to lose, but this was a bit of a shock to the system even if I was "eating healthy" previously. I took my measurements and lost a bit allover, but I could tell that by the way my jeans fit. I have a pair or two of jeans that I struggle to get on and should have just gone a size up, but right now I can pull them up with no problems... I don't ever want them to be tight again. I think my skin may be a bit clearer... its tough to tell because I just started my cycle and broke out, but I think it may be less than normal, and that previously I was a bit smoother. Not a huge difference, but I think I notice it. I also don't have gas at night, I used to get awful pains when sitting down to watch tv at night and I would hold it in because of embarrassment, but I don't get that anymore. Sure there have been a few items that maybe haven't sat right with me, but overall I don't have a rumbly tummy, and that is most important to me. I also haven't had any major headaches this past month. I would occasionally get a dull ache late in the afternoon typically on my way home (and I was well hydrated), but I'm not too sure of the cause, but I don't think I've had one the past few days.

The bad points... I didn't tame a sugar dragon, at least not entirely. I've been very good about reading labels and making sure we didn't have any added sugar and I plan to continue on with that. Even my husband who didn't do this with me was shocked and disgusted at the amount of sugar put in items and he has been diligent about looking for non-sugar added items instead. Its not that I'll see a cake or cookie and think I HAVE to have it, but in the afternoon I'm still getting sugar cravings and its fairly close to when I just had lunch. When I get home they've subsided... I don't really crave a dessert or snack, I have dinner and I'm good. But the cravings at work are STRONG, and its just been willpower to keep them at bay.

I also haven't had all of my belly issues go away, I'm still slightly irregular and I don't know if that is because I'm still healing or because something else is wrong with me. I've seen doctors for my stomach before, and they ran tests and found nothing wrong and suggested I do an elimination diet but provided no help. It took me at least 2 years before I found this plan and I wish I found it sooner. I think I would have had an easier time if I was in the states, being in a foreign country has its share of issues, something I'm learning to work around but it hasn't been easy.

So what now? Well, I started reintroduction right away. I'm starting with beans, and had some beans with breakfast. At first I thought I felt my belly rumble, and I was worried I was going to have to run to the bathroom but I'm doing alright and I'm not sure how much is in my head because I'm so nervous. I'm worried that there will be a subtle sign that I'll miss and that if I add something back in my diet I'll slowly get worse and not even realize. I guess in the grand scheme, I don't plan on adding any of these items back in full time, I mainly want to know my reactions to items so I know how to handle them in day-to-day life. I like my coconut or almond milk coffee, I don't need to add cream, I miss cheese, but I don't plan on having it long term even if I can handle it, so I think I may be building this up in my head a bit much.

Is anyone else starting re-intro right away? If so, I would like to continue posting on this. Congrats to you ladies for finishing your 30 as well, I look forward to hearing your thoughts at the end :)

Congratulations! Job well done I'm proud of what we all accomplished over the past 30 days. To keep myself accountable I'm going to continue to post. Regarding reintroduction I am going to hold off until September 1st. Love how I'm feeling and I would like to loose a bit more weight. Tomorrow is my day 31 so I'll post my results then.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 29

Breakfast: 2 eggs, chicken, cut up veggies, a few small pieces of watermelon and 4 cherries

Lunch: red bell pepper, blueberries & strawberries, almonds (on an airplane)

Dinner: burger on top of mixed greens with avocado, carrots, scallions, onions, and pickles (at airport)

Today involved 10 hours of traveling. I tried to pack as much food for the trip as I had access to that could last the longest without refrigeration. I didn't have any protein with lunch, but I managed to find an awesome dinner option at the airport during my layover. I walked around the terminal, contemplating what the smartest choice would be, and then I found the perfect place right next to my gate. It was a burger joint, called Custom Built, where you got a little pencil and a pad, and checked off how you wanted your burger made. First, it had you choose a protein. Then, you could either choose a bun, or a bed of organic mixed greens. Hell yeah! I skipped over the cheese options and the sauces, but chose some veggies to go on top. How awesome!

Now it wasn't all unicorns and rainbows, there was a moment there, where I felt like I "deserved" to order something else too. I was debating between sweet potato fries and fried plantains. I kept arguing with myself that, "the foods themselves were Whole 30 approved", and "I'm almost done anyways, so what's the difference." I continued on with, "I've had such a long day, how about a little splurge,' and "my meal itself is so healthy, so I deserve a treat." I was SO close to doing it. And when I say close, I mean CLOSE. Then there was that final moment, where I knew I needed to make a choice to either go down that same old road that I came from, where I eat unhealthy foods because I'm tired, bored, or have been so good that I "deserve it." I kept going back and forth between the two options, trying to think about which would be the lesser of two evils, but I knew that they were both fried and that it would be way too much food for one person. Just as I was about to say, "screw it" and just do it, a light switched in my brain and I quickly realized that I absolutely could not order that fried bullshit. And I didn't. It's a good thing too, because the meal itself made me feel so stuffed after, a feeling that I haven't felt in a long time and did not enjoy. I'm not sure why it happened, it wasn't a big meal, but maybe I just wasn't that hungry. I don't even want to think about how stuffed I would have felt if I stuffed my face with the fried crap in addition to my meal. 

What I realized is that if I want to have a healthier body, I have to consistently make healthy choices, especially when my Whole 30 is over. My behaviors in restaurants have to change, especially when I'm dining by myself. I wasn't trying to order the fried plantains/sweet potato fries because I was "hungry" for them, I was trying to use them to fill an emotional void. I was feeling tired from my travels, bored from my layover wait time, and "deprived" for not getting to get a bun and cheese. I haven't had a temptation this strong in my entire Whole 30, but this was a weak moment. The most worrisome part for me was when I started thinking that I was so close to the end, so why should it matter. This mentality would imply that I'm going to just eat junk food whenever I'm tempted to do so post-Whole 30. I do not want this to be the case! I won't let it, just like I didn't let it happen tonight. It was a huge step for me to stop myself from doing something that I was SO SO SO close to doing. Major behavioral change!

Congratulations on your difficult day of travel. Finish strong today!

Day 30! I'm amazed at how quickly the time has gone. I'm also very proud that I stuck with the program! I have some chocolate chilling cooking away on the stove and have restocked the veggie drawers so I'm ready to continue with my journey. At this point I feel too good to think about reintroduction and because I want to loose a bit more weight I'm choosing to keep plugging along.

Have a great day everyone. It's been great having you along for the last 30 days.

OMG day 30! Congrats everyone. Haven't posted in a while but have read all of your posts about lessons and reintroduction and I feel the support. I think most of us are in the same boat about reintroduction and kind of putting some things off. I plan on a veeeery slow one. I don't want to plan all of it but see if something comes up that I want. Like being out for dinner and maybe finally deciding to try rice or same thing with beans. I will purposely reintroduce some things like sugar or something so I can control it. Since our day 31 falls in the middle of the week I'm not planning on going off plan until the weekend. My husband and I work opposite schedules and it's easy when I just have to plan for myself during the week. I will try a gluten free beer this weekend and see how that goes! I hope everyone keeps posting because reintroduction was my issue last time. I went off the rails right away day 31.

So before I finally step on the scale tomm I wanted to post my non scale victories:

Higgles I feel you on the skin issues and the period early! I do feel like my skin is much clearer but did break out last week when my period came early. I had a dermatologist appointment a few days before though and they commented that my skin looked great with no meds.

I haven't really ever had digestive issues in the traditional sense. I'm extremely regular. But I put the stomach bloat fix in these terms for people. You know how flat your tummy is first thing in the morning when you wake up before you eat? That's how I feel all day on whole 30. Even right after eating my stomach doesn't puff out and my lower tummy is much flatter. I find this to be the best feeling in the world.

I finally am feeling my jeans looser. I randomly tried on some jeans the other week and was almost 2 sizes down.

My sleep isn't the best lately. It might be because I'm still drinking coffee but I do have more energy throughout the day.

My cravings are much less. I can't say that I don't food obsess sometimes but It's much easier to pass by treats these days.

I wish I had taken measurements this time. Last time I did and those went down a lot. I am more about the looks than the scale but would be lying if I don't want to see something on the scale tomm. I did take before pics though so that will be interesting. I did reward myself by ordering an upgrade to my fitbit yesterday. My husband wants my original one so I ordered the charge to celebrate. So excited to get it.

Quick topic for everyone:

What do you feel about sex with your pants on now that we're done with our 30? I have a lot of recipes for paleo treats that I keep thinking about. You know, like paleo pancakes, muffins, etc. Some of them tempt me because I love how I feel on the whole 30 and want to keep this basis for my diet. If something has compliant ingredients but lets me have more variety is it ok? Can I handle it without going off the rails? Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Guest bfree11

What do you feel about sex with your pants on now that we're done with our 30? I have a lot of recipes for paleo treats that I keep thinking about. You know, like paleo pancakes, muffins, etc. Some of them tempt me because I love how I feel on the whole 30 and want to keep this basis for my diet. If something has compliant ingredients but lets me have more variety is it ok? Can I handle it without going off the rails? Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

That's an excellent question!

Here's what I think: I think it's all about the behaviors and less about paleo vs non-compliant food. What I mean by this, is that as long as the healthy behaviors you formed during the Whole 30 are still in place, then it's okay to have a "treat," paleo or not. The benefit to a paleo treat is that your body won't hate you as much afterward. So, for example, if you make paleo muffins and you reeeeally want one for breakfast, that's fine, but don't forget that your plate still has to have the proper amounts of protein, fats, and veggies. The nutrient-dense foods should still be the priority. For me, in my everyday life, I wouldn't have a treat-like thing unless it was during one of my 3 meals a day and my plate was properly filled with the good stuff. 

What does everyone else think?

And yay for people wanting to keep checking in! I'm all about it! So thankful to have you guys in my life :)

Guest bfree11

Day THIRTY

Breakfast: Green juice (woke up with an awful stomach ache and nausea. Had no appetite)

Lunch: chicken, green beans, 1 small piece of yuca, kombucha

Dinner: kale slaw, scoop of avocado, almond pesto zucchini, steak

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

I made it! Phew. What a journey. I was so taken aback by all of the thoughtful people in my life that remembered today was my 30th day and congratulated me! One of the chefs at work approached me this morning and said, "Happy Day 30, you look great!" He also told me about something a coworker said about me last week to him. One of our coworkers from our San Fransisco office flew in last week. I hadn't seen him in months. He told my chef friend that he didn't even recognize me when he saw me and asked him if I had lost a bunch of weight! It's funny because when I first saw him upon his arrival at our office, I sort of felt like he didn't remember who I was or something. It took him a few extra moments until he said, "Hey Rebecca!" Now this guy who noticed a difference in my appearance doesn't have a track record of being the most warm and fuzzy person on Earth, so to hear that HE noticed was a huge indication of my progress. My family said I looked great when I visited them this weekend as well. My sister even PROMISED that she wasn't just saying it because she's my sister, but I still thought they were just trying to validate my hard work and be nice.

Sure, my clothes feel a bit looser, but I'm still overwhelmed by how much I have left to lose. I think it's hard for me to see the weight I've lost when there's still more to lose staring back at me in the mirror. This month definitely proved that my body is capable of shedding this weight and I'm excited to see where I'm at in say, 6 months. I remember mentioning in my very first post that I had convinced myself that my body was incapable of losing weight. It's true, I ate pretty clean and was very active pre-Whole 30, but my binges and mindless eating were ridiculous. I'm excited to see more and more results as the months go by. 

I haven't noticed huge differences in my skin or sleep, but I will say that I have enjoyed not feeling bloated or full and not regretting the food I just ate. Each meal is an opportunity to make a good choice and then feel a big confidence boost for doing so. 

Tomorrow morning, Day 31, I plan to weigh myself and take my "after" photos, then of course, spend a considerable amount of time comparing and contrasting my before and after pictures! After those festivities, I'm going to eat 3 healthy, balanced meals. I'm going to treat my body with respect and be very thoughtful about my meal decisions. I am excited to not have to read labels as closely anymore, but I still want to buy the most natural, chemical-free stuff possible. I have been getting bored of the restrictions of Whole 30 and I have thought of a few small non-compliant tweaks that would make my meals way more interesting.

Here are a few non-compliant foods I'd be willing to reintroduce:

a little goat cheese on my salads

maybe a whole grain wrap with a meal (we have millet & flaxseed ones at work that are made locally)

some rice in sushi

sprinkle of parmesan cheese on broccoli

a slice of cheese on a burger

tofu

Here are a few non-compliant foods I am not willing to reintroduce:

pasta

pizza

snack foods

desserts

soda

fries

burger buns

croutons and unhealthy dressings

*I may be willing to have a bite of one of these things, but I will not be ordering them for myself, that's for sure.

What I loved most about Whole 30 was having rules. I guess I've finally come up with my own personal rules for my future. Basically, any whole food or food that doesn't have a ton of chemicals and hidden sugars can re-enter my world, if and only if, it plays a SMALL part in my meal. This is why pasta is a no-go, because I don't want grains to be the main event at a meal and I don't want to keep it in the house. If someone offers me ONE ravioli to try, then maybe I'd add it to my plate at lunch, but I wouldn't order ravioli for my lunch. For example, our pasta chef at work started making these beet and goat cheese ravioli while I was on the Whole 30. I was really curious about them and wanted to try one, but I couldn't. Now, if someone offered me a taste, I'd probably take it. But, I feel pretty apathetic about it to be honest. Raviolis were so 30 days ago.  

My other rule is that I can only have 3 meals a day. No snacks, no desserts. Basically, I'm joining the world of all the typical healthy eaters out there. 3 nutrient-dense meals a day, limiting dairy, grains, sugar, eating real food, and limiting snacking and desserts to very special occasions. I think I can handle it, as long as little portions don't become big portions and 3 meals doesn't become 3 meals and 2 snacks. I also think that logging my progress each day, post-Whole 30 will be crucial to my success. What do you guys think of this approach?

My birthday is in 3 weeks and I've been thinking about whether or not I want to have a treat that day. I've decided that I want to eat a normal, healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but have dessert and a glass of wine. I chose an iconic steakhouse restaurant in Tampa that is know for its quality steaks, farm to table veggies (they have their OWN farm), rare wines, and fancy dessert room. I figure that I can eat a compliant dinner of steak and veggies with a glass of wine, and then have a special dessert in the dessert room afterward. Pretty reasonable for a birthday. The difference is, during past birthdays, I'd splurge at all 3 meals plus have dessert, because after all, it was my birthday. This year, the dessert room, the glass of wine, and the company of great friends will be my treat, but my 3 meals for the day will be squeaky clean. My body deserves it!

Thank you for reading and connecting with me over the past 30 days. Your support meant the world to me!

Rebecca

Guest bfree11

Day THIRTY

Breakfast: Green juice (woke up with an awful stomach ache and nausea. Had no appetite)

Lunch: chicken, green beans, 1 small piece of yuca, kombucha

Dinner: kale slaw, scoop of avocado, almond pesto zucchini, steak

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

I made it! Phew. What a journey. I was so taken aback by all of the thoughtful people in my life that remembered today was my 30th day and congratulated me! One of the chefs at work approached me this morning and said, "Happy Day 30, you look great!" He also told me about something a coworker said about me last week to him. One of our coworkers from our San Fransisco office flew in last week. I hadn't seen him in months. He told my chef friend that he didn't even recognize me when he saw me and asked him if I had lost a bunch of weight! It's funny because when I first saw him upon his arrival at our office, I sort of felt like he didn't remember who I was or something. It took him a few extra moments until he said, "Hey Rebecca!" Now this guy who noticed a difference in my appearance doesn't have a track record of being the most warm and fuzzy person on Earth, so to hear that HE noticed was a huge indication of my progress. My family said I looked great when I visited them this weekend as well. My sister even PROMISED that she wasn't just saying it because she's my sister, but I still thought they were just trying to validate my hard work and be nice.

Sure, my clothes feel a bit looser, but I'm still overwhelmed by how much I have left to lose. I think it's hard for me to see the weight I've lost when there's still more to lose staring back at me in the mirror. This month definitely proved that my body is capable of shedding this weight and I'm excited to see where I'm at in say, 6 months. I remember mentioning in my very first post that I had convinced myself that my body was incapable of losing weight. It's true, I ate pretty clean and was very active pre-Whole 30, but my binges and mindless eating were ridiculous. I'm excited to see more and more results as the months go by. 

I haven't noticed huge differences in my skin or sleep, but I will say that I have enjoyed not feeling bloated or full and not regretting the food I just ate. Each meal is an opportunity to make a good choice and then feel a big confidence boost for doing so. 

Tomorrow morning, Day 31, I plan to weigh myself and take my "after" photos, then of course, spend a considerable amount of time comparing and contrasting my before and after pictures! After those festivities, I'm going to eat 3 healthy, balanced meals. I'm going to treat my body with respect and be very thoughtful about my meal decisions. I am excited to not have to read labels as closely anymore, but I still want to buy the most natural, chemical-free stuff possible. I have been getting bored of the restrictions of Whole 30 and I have thought of a few small non-compliant tweaks that would make my meals way more interesting.

maybe a whole grain wrap with a meal (we have millet & flaxseed ones at work that are made locally)

some rice in sushi

tofu

pasta

pizza

snack foods

desserts

soda

fries

burger buns

*I may be willing to have a bite of one of these things, but I will not be ordering them for myself, that's for sure.

What I loved most about Whole 30 was having rules. I guess I've finally come up with my own personal rules for my future. Basically, any whole food or food that doesn't have a ton of chemicals and hidden sugars can re-enter my world, if and only if, it plays a SMALL part in my meal. This is why pasta is a no-go, because I don't want grains to be the main event at a meal and I don't want to keep it in the house. If someone offers me ONE ravioli to try, then maybe I'd add it to my plate at lunch, but I wouldn't order ravioli for my lunch. For example, our pasta chef at work started making these beet and goat cheese ravioli while I was on the Whole 30. I was really curious about them and wanted to try one, but I couldn't. Now, if someone offered me a taste, I'd probably take it. But, I feel pretty apathetic about it to be honest. Raviolis were so 30 days ago.  

My other rule is that I can only have 3 meals a day. No snacks, no desserts. Basically, I'm joining the world of all the typical healthy eaters out there. 3 nutrient-dense meals a day, limiting dairy, grains, sugar, eating real food, and limiting snacking and desserts to very special occasions. I think I can handle it, as long as little portions don't become big portions and 3 meals doesn't become 3 meals and 2 snacks. I also think that logging my progress each day, post-Whole 30 will be crucial to my success. What do you guys think of this approach?

My birthday is in 3 weeks and I've been thinking about whether or not I want to have a treat that day. I've decided that I want to eat a normal, healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but have dessert and a glass of wine. I chose an iconic steakhouse restaurant in Tampa that is know for its quality steaks, farm to table veggies (they have their OWN farm), rare wines, and fancy dessert room. I figure that I can eat a compliant dinner of steak and veggies with a glass of wine, and then have a special dessert in the dessert room afterward. Pretty reasonable for a birthday. The difference is, during past birthdays, I'd splurge at all 3 meals plus have dessert, because after all, it was my birthday. This year, the dessert room, the glass of wine, and the company of great friends will be my treat, but my 3 meals for the day will be squeaky clean. My body deserves it!

Thank you for reading and connecting with me over the past 30 days. Your support meant the world to me!

Rebecca

I've thought about this too, and I think maybe easing into things may be the best option. Like, if you know you have the meal template down for breakfast... you make/eat enough food to hold you until lunch, then maybe making some pancakes or muffins isn't bad, because you know you'll need to pair them with other food to keep you full and that way you don't go overboard which can be easy to do because just because they're paleo doesn't mean they're filling or nutritionally sound. Take the typical Paleo pancake recipe which are made with a banana, egg, some almond or coconut flour, maybe some coconut milk... that's not a satisfying enough or filling meal on its own. But maybe if you paired it with another fried egg and some ham or bacon with sautéed veggies... I think that's a great way to not go off the rails.

The other thing I'm thinking is having those things turn into food with no brakes fast. We never kept sweets in the house as my husband is more of a cracker snacky guy.. but if I make some paleo cookies, I'm sure i'll eat them all in one sitting, so those types of things I'm not ready for. I think personally, I'm not going to start adding in any of those type foods until I'm done with the reintroduction process because I don't want to go overboard and I don't want to start allowing in other outside items until I know for sure how everything affects me.

some rice in sushi

tofu

pasta

pizza

snack foods

desserts

soda

fries

burger buns

Rebecca,

I made my own personal plan like that too, based of course on the outcomes of my reintroduction.

As far as cheese, I will not use the prepackaged kind, no toppings on food, BUT if I can, I will on occasion enjoy a good cheese maybe paired with some wine. Cheese can be a food without brakes issue for me, and so if I ordered it at a restaurant to share with the hubs, the portions are typically not huge (bc cheese is expensive) and we will need to portion it out ahead of time before I take a single bite. I don't really care about any other dairy or milk products... but typically when we're traveling in Europe there are gelato stands everyone. We have only gotten gelato twice since living here so its not a big splurge, but I can see myself having a small one when my husband wants one. He has the much smaller appetite so its easy to base these types of splurges are when he wants them, not me or I'd have it every day lol.

Rice on sushi seems like a reasonable thought as we don't have sushi too often (especially here in Germany) but I don't miss rice in anything else.

I don't mind fajita or taco salads without the shells, but if corn is alright with me, I may only allow myself a corn tortilla but that's not for sure. Corn chips even the natural ones are food without brakes for me, and I don't miss corn in anything else.

Last would be wine, I'm ok with not having beer because Beer always used to make me gassy (which was just awesome in college) but we truly enjoy good wine, but I've been pretty diligent about cutting back even before the W30 so now it will have to be a conscious effort to limit when and how much we drink. If the hubs wants a drink he can always have a beer :)

All of this of course if my body will even tolerate some of these foods. I introduced beans yesterday, and although I didn't have an awful reaction, they're not something I think I'll add back in. I wasn't as gassy as I expected to be, I had a large serving at all three meals but I didn't feel great. Obviously I wouldn't eat that quantity of beans regularly so I suppose if they came as an accompaniment on something (they often sprinkle beans on salads here) I could eat it, but I don't think i'll be doing a chili or anything like that again. And that is so weird to me, I used to eat so many legumes for protein especially when I was a vegetarian, but I suppose I don't really miss the taste or the gas, its just the idea is weird. I'm taking the rest of the week off from introductions and will do wine on Sunday because we are staying overnight in the wine region in Germany so I thought that would be the best time...

Guest bfree11

Day 31 and happy to report I'm down 14 lbs. going to keep on down this same path until I reach my goal weight. Hope everyone is having a great day.

That's AMAZING!!!! WOW!

Guest bfree11

Day 31

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, cauliflower, blueberries, black coffee

Lunch: salad with chicken, veggies, 1/2 avocado, balsamic and olive oil, a little nuts & seeds, AND about a tablespoon of goat cheese!, kombucha

DInner: TACOS. grass-fed ground beef, 2 corn tortillas, avocado, greens/slaw mix, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, onion, a tiny bit of shredded cheddar cheese

Exercise: Hot Yoga

Allow me to walk you through my 31st day. I woke up, weighed myself, and took "after" pictures. I lost nine pounds. I'm happy about that, but more excited about losing more and more as the months continue. I didn't think my "after" pictures looked much better than my "before" pictures, with the exception of my stomach hanging a little less in today's pictures. 30 days is a long time, but it's also not enough time to see drastic physical changes. The scale went back in its hiding place and I'll check it again at the end of July. 

For breakfast, I did my typical balanced, healthy thing. I don't think I'll budge too much on my breakfasts because starting the day with the most nutrients possible is important to me. 

I ate kind of a late lunch, so it took me awhile to get hungry for lunch. I used to just eat because it was "time to eat," but now I wait until my body gives me the green light. I knew exactly what I was going to get. My work is basically a restaurant that I get to eat at for free each day. There are a ton of unhealthy options. I think having a plan each day before lunch time will help me stay on track, just like I would look at a restaurant menu and choose a meal before arrival. My re-entry at lunch was goat cheese. I asked the chef for a tiny bit, and he gave me less than a tablespoon. When he tossed the salad, you couldn't even see it. There were a few bites where I could taste it while I ate the salad and for me, this was perfection. The taste was there, it was nice, but I didn't have any feelings of regret or tummy troubles. The salad was huge and I ended up giving half of it to my hungry coworker because I felt satisfied. A lot of chefs tried to get me to try tasty treats today, now that I "can." The response that kept spitting out of my mouth was, "I'm not having dessert until July 13th (my birthday)." I like this rule, it makes dessert easy to walk away from because I have some structure. After dessert on my birthday, I'll create a new rule, but I'm not there yet. Right now, it's just seems so pointless to eat sweet treats. They do nothing good for my body and they won't help me reach my weight loss goal. Thanks but no thanks.

Dinner was interesting. All day I knew that I needed to go to Trader Joe's after work because my kitchen was empty from traveling. I wasn't really sure what was going to happen when I got there, but there were a few things I knew for sure. No alcohol (easy one for me), no foods without brakes or snacky foods, and no creepy chemicals on labels. As I walked around, I grabbed a ton of veggies and proteins like usual, and then a few meal ideas came to me. Beef tacos, pesto chicken, and grass-fed burgers.

I typically eat the same dinner at least two days in a row since I'm only cooking for myself, so 3 meal ideas will get me through a week no problem. I thought about buying pre-made pesto, but as I read the ingredients, I started having second thoughts. They sneak so many sketchy things into stuff. I decided that it's not that hard to grab some basil, olive oil, garlic, and pine nuts and just make it myself, so I did that instead.

Then came the tacos... I found taco seasoning that was super clean and then debated tortillas and cheese for awhile. I used to put rice in my tacos too, but honestly, I forgot all about rice. I found little corn tortillas that only had corn, water, and lime as the ingredients. While I could definitely still enjoy tacos without the tortilla, it made the meal more exciting, they're tiny and not calorically dense, they're gluten free, and they're not a food without brakes for me. I decided to go for it. Then came the cheese. I wanted to buy the smallest portion possible because cheese has historically been a food without brakes for me. When I looked at the ingredients in the shredded cheese, there were weird chemicals and food coloring. I went with a natural, rustic block of cheddar cheese. I was nervous about the size of it and debated throwing away the remainder of it after dinner. When i shredded the cheese for my tacos, I realized that I had too much cheese. Normally, I'd just pile the extra on anyway, and my first instinct was to do that, but then I grabbed a tiny little tupperware and put the rest in there. I used a small sprinkle of cheese on my meal and 2 mini all-corn tortillas, I felt it was a controlled splurge. I still filled my plate with the proper macronutrients and actually wasn't able to finish my meal because I got too full. It's been a few hours since I ate and I feel okay. 

End result: I ate cheese and corn tortillas and I didn't die. I didn't overeat. I didn't have cravings. There is a block of cheddar cheese in my refrigerator and I don't really care. I know what my past behaviors were and I know they're against my rules now. I'm stronger than the hold that food had on me and I respect my body enough not to overeat.

Guest bfree11

Day 31

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, cauliflower, blueberries, black coffee

Lunch: salad with chicken, veggies, 1/2 avocado, balsamic and olive oil, a little nuts & seeds, AND about a tablespoon of goat cheese!, kombucha

DInner: TACOS. grass-fed ground beef, 2 corn tortillas, avocado, greens/slaw mix, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, onion, a tiny bit of shredded cheddar cheese

Exercise: Hot Yoga

Allow me to walk you through my 31st day. I woke up, weighed myself, and took "after" pictures. I lost nine pounds. I'm happy about that, but more excited about losing more and more as the months continue. I didn't think my "after" pictures looked much better than my "before" pictures, with the exception of my stomach hanging a little less in today's pictures. 30 days is a long time, but it's also not enough time to see drastic physical changes. The scale went back in its hiding place and I'll check it again at the end of July. 

For breakfast, I did my typical balanced, healthy thing. I don't think I'll budge too much on my breakfasts because starting the day with the most nutrients possible is important to me. 

I ate kind of a late lunch, so it took me awhile to get hungry for lunch. I used to just eat because it was "time to eat," but now I wait until my body gives me the green light. I knew exactly what I was going to get. My work is basically a restaurant that I get to eat at for free each day. There are a ton of unhealthy options. I think having a plan each day before lunch time will help me stay on track, just like I would look at a restaurant menu and choose a meal before arrival. My re-entry at lunch was goat cheese. I asked the chef for a tiny bit, and he gave me less than a tablespoon. When he tossed the salad, you couldn't even see it. There were a few bites where I could taste it while I ate the salad and for me, this was perfection. The taste was there, it was nice, but I didn't have any feelings of regret or tummy troubles. The salad was huge and I ended up giving half of it to my hungry coworker because I felt satisfied. A lot of chefs tried to get me to try tasty treats today, now that I "can." The response that kept spitting out of my mouth was, "I'm not having dessert until July 13th (my birthday)." I like this rule, it makes dessert easy to walk away from because I have some structure. After dessert on my birthday, I'll create a new rule, but I'm not there yet. Right now, it's just seems so pointless to eat sweet treats. They do nothing good for my body and they won't help me reach my weight loss goal. Thanks but no thanks.

Dinner was interesting. All day I knew that I needed to go to Trader Joe's after work because my kitchen was empty from traveling. I wasn't really sure what was going to happen when I got there, but there were a few things I knew for sure. No alcohol (easy one for me), no foods without brakes or snacky foods, and no creepy chemicals on labels. As I walked around, I grabbed a ton of veggies and proteins like usual, and then a few meal ideas came to me. Beef tacos, pesto chicken, and grass-fed burgers. 

I typically eat the same dinner at least two days in a row since I'm only cooking for myself, so 3 meal ideas will get me through a week no problem. I thought about buying pre-made pesto, but as I read the ingredients, I started having second thoughts. They sneak so many sketchy things into stuff. I decided that it's not that hard to grab some basil, olive oil, garlic, and pine nuts and just make it myself, so I did that instead. 

Then came the tacos... I found taco seasoning that was super clean and then debated tortillas and cheese for awhile. I used to put rice in my tacos too, but honestly, I forgot all about rice. I found little corn tortillas that only had corn, water, and lime as the ingredients. While I could definitely still enjoy tacos without the tortilla, it made the meal more exciting, they're tiny and not calorically dense, they're gluten free, and they're not a food without brakes for me. I decided to go for it. Then came the cheese. I wanted to buy the smallest portion possible because cheese has historically been a food without brakes for me. When I looked at the ingredients in the shredded cheese, there were weird chemicals and food coloring. I went with a natural, rustic block of cheddar cheese. I was nervous about the size of it and debated throwing away the remainder of it after dinner. When i shredded the cheese for my tacos, I realized that I had too much cheese. Normally, I'd just pile the extra on anyway, and my first instinct was to do that, but then I grabbed a tiny little tupperware and put the rest in there. I used a small sprinkle of cheese on my meal and 2 mini all-corn tortillas, I felt it was a controlled splurge. I still filled my plate with the proper macronutrients and actually wasn't able to finish my meal because I got too full. It's been a few hours since I ate and I feel okay. 

End result: I ate cheese and corn tortillas and I didn't die. I didn't overeat. I didn't have cravings. There is a block of cheddar cheese in my refrigerator and I don't really care. I know what my past behaviors were and I know they're against my rules now. I'm stronger than the hold that food had on me and I respect my body enough not to overeat.

Jean that's amazing, good job!

Rebecca, congrats and good job with your first day of reintro! You reminded me that I forgot to take my after pics, but maybe i'll take some this weekend. I'm guessing that you had no specific food sensitivity issues prior to the whole 30 and that's why you're not splitting up the food groups? I'll admit, its frustrating wanting to space out the food groups like I am because I want to be able to try a few things now that I'm not under the rules but I don't want to "contaminate" my results. However, we did use honey last night, so I don't have a problem with honey as a sweetener, but I'm not going to be mixing food groups just yet. In fact, I still keep getting afternoon cravings for unhealthy food, so I'll go into our snack bar and read the ingredients to remind myself I don't want it, and so many things have wheat in them, so I'm like HA body, not only should you not have it because its unhealthy, but you shouldn't have it because it'll mess with your reintro. And yet.. I guess I talk to myself a bit.

Anyway, I haven't reintroduced anything else yet. I wasn't pleased with my bean reactions but I plan on introducing wine this weekend so I'm going clean a few days in between, so no other food reintroductions until next week this time.

Guest bfree11

Jean that's amazing, good job!

Rebecca, congrats and good job with your first day of reintro! You reminded me that I forgot to take my after pics, but maybe i'll take some this weekend. I'm guessing that you had no specific food sensitivity issues prior to the whole 30 and that's why you're not splitting up the food groups? I'll admit, its frustrating wanting to space out the food groups like I am because I want to be able to try a few things now that I'm not under the rules but I don't want to "contaminate" my results. However, we did use honey last night, so I don't have a problem with honey as a sweetener, but I'm not going to be mixing food groups just yet. In fact, I still keep getting afternoon cravings for unhealthy food, so I'll go into our snack bar and read the ingredients to remind myself I don't want it, and so many things have wheat in them, so I'm like HA body, not only should you not have it because its unhealthy, but you shouldn't have it because it'll mess with your reintro. And yet.. I guess I talk to myself a bit.

Anyway, I haven't reintroduced anything else yet. I wasn't pleased with my bean reactions but I plan on introducing wine this weekend so I'm going clean a few days in between, so no other food reintroductions until next week this time.

Thank you! As far as food sensitivity goes, I mean, dairy and grains have always made me feel bloated and made my stomach kind of gurgly. I think it's because these foods are not great for the human digestive system in general. I don't think I need to do a methodical reintroduction to prove this. I already know that dairy, grains, and fried things mess with me, so I want to keep my portion sizes of these things tiny, rather than having them be the focal point of my meal, like they used to. So far, I've had cheese and rice, and only a very very small amount, but my stomach felt weird after for sure. I don't know if it was a little bit in my head, or if even a small trace affected me, but cheese and rice isn't really impressing me the way it used to. I used to love carbs and cheese, but now I just think of that gurgly stomach feeling and bloated tummy. yuck. The way my body feels is starting to matter more to me than the foods I'm missing.

Enjoy your wine this weekend! Congratulations!

Guest bfree11

Day 32 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, onions, a few shreds of cheddar cheese, 1 hotdog, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, 2 strawberries, 4 cherries

Lunch: Nori Wrap: seaweed, rice, veggies, avocado, pulled chicken - rolled up into a burrito-like thing

DInner: Tacos again. grass-fed ground beef, 2 corn tortillas, avocado, greens/slaw mix, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, onion, a tiny bit of shredded cheddar cheese

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

I experimented with cheese and corn tortillas last night for dinner. I did alright with it, so I decided to sprinkle a tiny bit of the cheese into my omelet this morning. I put so little in it that I hardly tasted it, but I started thinking that my stomach felt weird after. I really think it was just in my head though. At lunch, my friend and I were walking around trying to decide what to have. She's been trying to eat healthy too, but she just kept saying that she was craving french fries and sweets. She gave in and ate that stuff. I remember having all of those feelings. She tried these new Cake Pops we're making in the bakery and I asked her what it tasted like out of curiosity, she described it, and then I was over it. I don't feel any desire whatsoever to eat that junk. I mean, I know it's delicious in theory, but I don't feel compelled to eat it. Thank god. Cravings were the worst. 

For lunch, I decided on a Nori Wrap, which is basically a burrito made out of sushi. I'm a picky eater and don't eat any type of seafood, so I used to order the "Tokyo Fried Chicken Nori Wrap." One time, I asked them to grill the chicken instead, since they fry it to order. It's still marinated in soy sauce though and it was crazy salty and I didn't like it. So today I was in this dilemma of wanting a chicken nori wrap, but not wanting fried chicken in it. Then, I remembered that we have pulled chicken for salads! I went over and grabbed some and asked the chef if he could use that instead. He didn't mind at all. Then I asked him about the rice. I remember that nori wraps used to be so filling and I'd force the whole thing down and then feel super full after. I was wondering if maybe the rice was part of the cause of that. The chef said that there's about 4 oz of rice on the seaweed and it's a pretty small portion. I decided to go for it. I had him put the chicken, a ton of veggies, and avocado inside. When he asked me if I wanted sauce, I declined. I was so excited that I found a way around the fried chicken and got creative!

I started eating it, and even without sauce, it was quite delicious. Half way through, I put it down and realized I wasn't really hungry anymore, but I wasn't full either. I took a little break, and then took a few more bites. Then, all of a sudden, when I went for my next bite, I just couldn't do it and dropped it. I wrapped it all up in the paper and just announced that I was finished. This is NOT typical Rebecca behavior! But, I just got to a point where I was no longer interested in eating. Food just isn't on that pedestal as much as it used to be now. 

I did feel kind of bloated and gurgly in my tummy the rest of the day. I think rice is just filling. I had the same thing for dinner as last night and debated whether or not to add the cheese. Should I try a little to give it one more chance? Should I throw away the block I just bought? It really isn't calling to me that much, because every time I think about it, I think if the gurgly tummy feeling. I decided to give it one last shot, and I feel okay, I guess, but I still don't feel as great as I was feeling on the Whole 30. I'm using a fraction of the amount I used to, but maybe my body just really isn't used to it anymore. I've decided to throw the rest of the cheese away. I feel bad wasting it, I even thought of bringing it to work and seeing if anyone wants it, but honestly, IT'S JUST CHEESE. That's what I learned today. IT'S JUST CHEESE. It doesn't have power over me anymore. It doesn't make me feel great, and neither does rice. Does that mean I'll never have it again? No. But it's certainly lost its appeal. I don't like feeling gross. I want to feel proud and confident after every meal and feel like I made great choices. 

So that's it, I'm cheeseless and happy about it. The difference between now and the Whole 30, is that if there are traces of dairy in something I'm eating, that's okay with me. I'm just not going to go out of my way to add it onto my food for now.

Guest bfree11

Day 32 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, onions, a few shreds of cheddar cheese, 1 hotdog, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, 2 strawberries, 4 cherries

Lunch: Nori Wrap: seaweed, rice, veggies, avocado, pulled chicken - rolled up into a burrito-like thing

DInner: Tacos again. grass-fed ground beef, 2 corn tortillas, avocado, greens/slaw mix, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, onion, a tiny bit of shredded cheddar cheese

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

I experimented with cheese and corn tortillas last night for dinner. I did alright with it, so I decided to sprinkle a tiny bit of the cheese into my omelet this morning. I put so little in it that I hardly tasted it, but I started thinking that my stomach felt weird after. I really think it was just in my head though. At lunch, my friend and I were walking around trying to decide what to have. She's been trying to eat healthy too, but she just kept saying that she was craving french fries and sweets. She gave in and ate that stuff. I remember having all of those feelings. She tried these new Cake Pops we're making in the bakery and I asked her what it tasted like out of curiosity, she described it, and then I was over it. I don't feel any desire whatsoever to eat that junk. I mean, I know it's delicious in theory, but I don't feel compelled to eat it. Thank god. Cravings were the worst. 

For lunch, I decided on a Nori Wrap, which is basically a burrito made out of sushi. I'm a picky eater and don't eat any type of seafood, so I used to order the "Tokyo Fried Chicken Nori Wrap." One time, I asked them to grill the chicken instead, since they fry it to order. It's still marinated in soy sauce though and it was crazy salty and I didn't like it. So today I was in this dilemma of wanting a chicken nori wrap, but not wanting fried chicken in it. Then, I remembered that we have pulled chicken for salads! I went over and grabbed some and asked the chef if he could use that instead. He didn't mind at all. Then I asked him about the rice. I remember that nori wraps used to be so filling and I'd force the whole thing down and then feel super full after. I was wondering if maybe the rice was part of the cause of that. The chef said that there's about 4 oz of rice on the seaweed and it's a pretty small portion. I decided to go for it. I had him put the chicken, a ton of veggies, and avocado inside. When he asked me if I wanted sauce, I declined. I was so excited that I found a way around the fried chicken and got creative!

I started eating it, and even without sauce, it was quite delicious. Half way through, I put it down and realized I wasn't really hungry anymore, but I wasn't full either. I took a little break, and then took a few more bites. Then, all of a sudden, when I went for my next bite, I just couldn't do it and dropped it. I wrapped it all up in the paper and just announced that I was finished. This is NOT typical Rebecca behavior! But, I just got to a point where I was no longer interested in eating. Food just isn't on that pedestal as much as it used to be now. 

I did feel kind of bloated and gurgly in my tummy the rest of the day. I think rice is just filling. I had the same thing for dinner as last night and debated whether or not to add the cheese. Should I try a little to give it one more chance? Should I throw away the block I just bought? It really isn't calling to me that much, because every time I think about it, I think if the gurgly tummy feeling. I decided to give it one last shot, and I feel okay, I guess, but I still don't feel as great as I was feeling on the Whole 30. I'm using a fraction of the amount I used to, but maybe my body just really isn't used to it anymore. I've decided to throw the rest of the cheese away. I feel bad wasting it, I even thought of bringing it to work and seeing if anyone wants it, but honestly, IT'S JUST CHEESE. That's what I learned today. IT'S JUST CHEESE. It doesn't have power over me anymore. It doesn't make me feel great, and neither does rice. Does that mean I'll never have it again? No. But it's certainly lost its appeal. I don't like feeling gross. I want to feel proud and confident after every meal and feel like I made great choices. 

So that's it, I'm cheeseless and happy about it. The difference between now and the Whole 30, is that if there are traces of dairy in something I'm eating, that's okay with me. I'm just not going to go out of my way to add it onto my food for now.

I totally feel the thought of wondering if everything was in my head, I reintro'd beans on Monday and I'm still not 100% right. Overall they didn't have as big of an effect on me as I thought, but the side effects that I'm attributing to them still hasn't gone away.

Good for you for already knowing what gives you issues and then just staying away, I think me being a vegetarian had me eating SO many types of grains I'm not really sure which ones bother me. I've suspected quinoa for a long time but I don't know for sure. I posted a bit of a rant/vent on the family and friends page about y husbands reaction to a conversation we had. I've kind of left him out of the loop on my future plans which he understandably didn't appreciate. I think because of that, I really want to pinpoint exactly what foods bother me so its easy for me to say, NOPE can't have that, instead of telling him I didn't plan on eating any grains bc I don't miss them and then he was very taken by surprise.

Anyway, we finally got our order of coconut aminos in (we had to order from the states) and even the hubs thought it tasted as a fine substitute for soy sauce. That made me pretty excited, I ordered two bottles just in case because it was a pain to order them. I also got a container of the primal mayo, but making my own mayo doesn't seem like such a big deal (I only made it once) but I'm going to try it out and see.

Guest bfree11

I totally feel the thought of wondering if everything was in my head, I reintro'd beans on Monday and I'm still not 100% right. Overall they didn't have as big of an effect on me as I thought, but the side effects that I'm attributing to them still hasn't gone away.

Good for you for already knowing what gives you issues and then just staying away, I think me being a vegetarian had me eating SO many types of grains I'm not really sure which ones bother me. I've suspected quinoa for a long time but I don't know for sure. I posted a bit of a rant/vent on the family and friends page about y husbands reaction to a conversation we had. I've kind of left him out of the loop on my future plans which he understandably didn't appreciate. I think because of that, I really want to pinpoint exactly what foods bother me so its easy for me to say, NOPE can't have that, instead of telling him I didn't plan on eating any grains bc I don't miss them and then he was very taken by surprise.

Anyway, we finally got our order of coconut aminos in (we had to order from the states) and even the hubs thought it tasted as a fine substitute for soy sauce. That made me pretty excited, I ordered two bottles just in case because it was a pain to order them. I also got a container of the primal mayo, but making my own mayo doesn't seem like such a big deal (I only made it once) but I'm going to try it out and see.

coconut aminos is so awesome! I actually drizzled a little bit on my salad tonight and it was ridiculously tasty! I don't know how you married people navigate through whole 30 with a spouse. That must be so hard! I'm single and live alone, so it's my kitchen, my rules. You're so strong!

Guest bfree11

Day 33 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, onions, ground beef, 2 strawberries, 5 cherries, 1/2 bell pepper, coffee

Lunch: chicken, green beans, yuca fries (yeah... I'll address this in the post)

Dinner: last day of tacos (with NO cheese). Finally finished my pound of ground beef. #singlegirlproblems

Exercise: Rest day. Super sore back and legs. Resting up for yoga and a long bike ride tomorrow.

I realized something huge today. While I haven't eaten anything blatantly stupid or had a single morsel of food outside of my 3 meals, I still have made a couple choices that made me feel regret afterward. I want to really zero in on this and analyze it because I want to stop this in its tracks before I start messing with other foods. 

It was the damn yuca fries that got me. Prior to Whole 30, I used to get the yuca fries at work sometimes. Yuca is similar to a potato, but a little different taste and texture. They lightly fry and season them at work and it's delicious. I ordered ONE yuca fry today (they're about the size of a thick finger) and they accidentally gave me 4 or 5 of them. As soon as I got them, I immediately said, "Well, it's not my fault that they didn't just give me one like I asked for, I'm eating them all!" And I did. Now, it's not the end of the world and I still ate a very balanced meal, but the problem with this was the way I felt afterward. I felt the same feeling I used to feel after binging. I felt full from eating too much and I really didn't like that feeling. It wasn't even that much food, but I felt guilty for not sticking to just having one. 

Don't get me wrong, I know I've made some stellar choices during the past few days of post-whole 30, like when I threw away my beloved block of cheese. That was seriously really hard for me. Or when I made the healthiest nori wrap possible and then chose not to finish it. But these few days of practicing have really shown me that I need to ensure that I feel a sense of pride in my decisions after each meal. If I want to eat something that has small traces of dairy or soy or something, that's totally cool with me and doesn't cause me to feel any guilt, but fried food, larger amounts of dairy and grains, and treats, they make me feel badly about myself afterward. Historically those bad feelings have just led me to eating even more unhealthy stuff. 

I don't want to feel too full or heavy after a meal. I want to feel clean, light, and energized. I want to feel proud and confident. Eating grains, dairy, fried food, and sugar in extreme moderation will still allow me to feel good about myself and in control, but if I get served too much rice, or too many yuca fries, it's my responsibility to get rid of the excess crap so that it doesn't end up in my body and messing with my self-esteem.

Tomorrow is a huge Gay Pride parade and I will be surrounded by people drinking all day and probably eating junk food. One of my friends was saying that she'll need to "pace herself" because we'll be drinking all day. I have absolutely zero interest in putting any garbage into my body or getting drunk tomorrow. I want to enjoy the parade and time with my friends, that's enough for me. I don't need to drink or pig out just because everyone else is! In the past, I wouldn't have questioned it and I'd just follow whatever everyone else was doing.

Goal for tomorrow: Take responsibility for the food I choose to eat and feel proud of my choices at all 3 meals. 

Guest bfree11

Day 33 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, onions, ground beef, 2 strawberries, 5 cherries, 1/2 bell pepper, coffee

Lunch: chicken, green beans, yuca fries (yeah... I'll address this in the post)

Dinner: last day of tacos (with NO cheese). Finally finished my pound of ground beef. #singlegirlproblems

Exercise: Rest day. Super sore back and legs. Resting up for yoga and a long bike ride tomorrow.

I realized something huge today. While I haven't eaten anything blatantly stupid or had a single morsel of food outside of my 3 meals, I still have made a couple choices that made me feel regret afterward. I want to really zero in on this and analyze it because I want to stop this in its tracks before I start messing with other foods. 

It was the damn yuca fries that got me. Prior to Whole 30, I used to get the yuca fries at work sometimes. Yuca is similar to a potato, but a little different taste and texture. They lightly fry and season them at work and it's delicious. I ordered ONE yuca fry today (they're about the size of a thick finger) and they accidentally gave me 4 or 5 of them. As soon as I got them, I immediately said, "Well, it's not my fault that they didn't just give me one like I asked for, I'm eating them all!" And I did. Now, it's not the end of the world and I still ate a very balanced meal, but the problem with this was the way I felt afterward. I felt the same feeling I used to feel after binging. I felt full from eating too much and I really didn't like that feeling. It wasn't even that much food, but I felt guilty for not sticking to just having one. 

Don't get me wrong, I know I've made some stellar choices during the past few days of post-whole 30, like when I threw away my beloved block of cheese. That was seriously really hard for me. Or when I made the healthiest nori wrap possible and then chose not to finish it. But these few days of practicing have really shown me that I need to ensure that I feel a sense of pride in my decisions after each meal. If I want to eat something that has small traces of dairy or soy or something, that's totally cool with me and doesn't cause me to feel any guilt, but fried food, larger amounts of dairy and grains, and treats, they make me feel badly about myself afterward. Historically those bad feelings have just led me to eating even more unhealthy stuff. 

I don't want to feel too full or heavy after a meal. I want to feel clean, light, and energized. I want to feel proud and confident. Eating grains, dairy, fried food, and sugar in extreme moderation will still allow me to feel good about myself and in control, but if I get served too much rice, or too many yuca fries, it's my responsibility to get rid of the excess crap so that it doesn't end up in my body and messing with my self-esteem.

Tomorrow is a huge Gay Pride parade and I will be surrounded by people drinking all day and probably eating junk food. One of my friends was saying that she'll need to "pace herself" because we'll be drinking all day. I have absolutely zero interest in putting any garbage into my body or getting drunk tomorrow. I want to enjoy the parade and time with my friends, that's enough for me. I don't need to drink or pig out just because everyone else is! In the past, I wouldn't have questioned it and I'd just follow whatever everyone else was doing.

Goal for tomorrow: Take responsibility for the food I choose to eat and feel proud of my choices at all 3 meals. 

hellooooo everyone. I've been reading everyone's posts since day 31. Looks like everyone is doing awesome. I'm finally getting around to posting myself. So day 31 I weighed myself. Can't lie I was a little bit disappointed. I lost 6 lbs. It's really not bad but of course I am always hoping for more. I do really feel like those 6 lbs are fat and not water weight or anything superficial because my clothes really are fitting looser and with water weight I've never felt the difference. I also was doing a ton of crossfit during my first whole30 and I think that contributed to more weight loss that time, though not that much different. I'm adding in more exercise now since I feel like my blood sugar and tiredness if finally behind me. 

I didn't take my after pics yet. Partly because I wanted to wear the exact same undergarments as before and laundry must be done. I think the other part is because I'm afraid I won't notice a difference but I plan to take them in the next few days.

Today I got a compliment from a coworker. That's two now and I'll take it. Feels good!

Life after whole 30 hasn't changed much. I didn't reintroduce anything until last night. I had 2 gluten free beers. Today I'm not feeling any affects and the beers were pretty tasty (omission lager). I will say I think I felt the alcohol though. Today it's back to being clean. I almost feel intimidated by making choices. Nothing has seemed worth it yet and I don't really want to buy something to purposely have it even if I don't want it. Bfree11 I don't know if I could have thrown out that cheese but awesome for you!!! Don't sweat the yucca fries, I'm sure we will all have struggles with stumbling. Don't be hard on yourself you've had great mindset changes already with the cheese and nori wrap (which now I want to try to make by the way).Yesterday at work we had a big picnic pot luck. I thought I would at least do a cheeseburger but just went with the patty with fresh guac instead. I kept thinking that nothing would taste as good as I thought it would in my head. I am curious to see how long I really can keep this up. 

So I brought up sex with your pants on before and a lot of you seem to want to stick to the meal template if you add something or not. I agree totally. I think the things I meant were something like a paleo pancake or two but still having eggs and veggies. Or having a paleo wrap for a sandwich. I've been thinking about vegan/paleo cheese sauce for veggies. Just cashews and nutritional yeast but I avoided it during the 30 because I felt like it was a crutch. All of these things don't really add much to our meals but give us variety and maybe a way to feel more normal. I would love some taco meat and guac in a wrap for once instead of just a bowl. But maybe I'm just justifying things?

I'm glad people are still posting because I really am feeling like this is more my lifestyle now and it feels good. I did NOT do this after my first whole 30. I saw the change and then went back to adding in a bunch of junk. Also I am one of the married folks and my husband really hasn't complained yet. It may be because we don't eat breakfast or lunch together and we pack our own for work so he does his thing and I do mine. At night if I cook he will eat anything I make and if he's grilling or cooking he's been nice and ask what I want or what I can have. Veggies and protein are pretty easy for us and he is on board with ghee. Weekends are harder because he can snack and not me :(

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Guest bfree11

hellooooo everyone. I've been reading everyone's posts since day 31. Looks like everyone is doing awesome. I'm finally getting around to posting myself. So day 31 I weighed myself. Can't lie I was a little bit disappointed. I lost 6 lbs. It's really not bad but of course I am always hoping for more. I do really feel like those 6 lbs are fat and not water weight or anything superficial because my clothes really are fitting looser and with water weight I've never felt the difference. I also was doing a ton of crossfit during my first whole30 and I think that contributed to more weight loss that time, though not that much different. I'm adding in more exercise now since I feel like my blood sugar and tiredness if finally behind me. 

I didn't take my after pics yet. Partly because I wanted to wear the exact same undergarments as before and laundry must be done. I think the other part is because I'm afraid I won't notice a difference but I plan to take them in the next few days.

Today I got a compliment from a coworker. That's two now and I'll take it. Feels good!

Life after whole 30 hasn't changed much. I didn't reintroduce anything until last night. I had 2 gluten free beers. Today I'm not feeling any affects and the beers were pretty tasty (omission lager). I will say I think I felt the alcohol though. Today it's back to being clean. I almost feel intimidated by making choices. Nothing has seemed worth it yet and I don't really want to buy something to purposely have it even if I don't want it. Bfree11 I don't know if I could have thrown out that cheese but awesome for you!!! Don't sweat the yucca fries, I'm sure we will all have struggles with stumbling. Don't be hard on yourself you've had great mindset changes already with the cheese and nori wrap (which now I want to try to make by the way).Yesterday at work we had a big picnic pot luck. I thought I would at least do a cheeseburger but just went with the patty with fresh guac instead. I kept thinking that nothing would taste as good as I thought it would in my head. I am curious to see how long I really can keep this up. 

So I brought up sex with your pants on before and a lot of you seem to want to stick to the meal template if you add something or not. I agree totally. I think the things I meant were something like a paleo pancake or two but still having eggs and veggies. Or having a paleo wrap for a sandwich. I've been thinking about vegan/paleo cheese sauce for veggies. Just cashews and nutritional yeast but I avoided it during the 30 because I felt like it was a crutch. All of these things don't really add much to our meals but give us variety and maybe a way to feel more normal. I would love some taco meat and guac in a wrap for once instead of just a bowl. But maybe I'm just justifying things?

I'm glad people are still posting because I really am feeling like this is more my lifestyle now and it feels good. I did NOT do this after my first whole 30. I saw the change and then went back to adding in a bunch of junk. Also I am one of the married folks and my husband really hasn't complained yet. It may be because we don't eat breakfast or lunch together and we pack our own for work so he does his thing and I do mine. At night if I cook he will eat anything I make and if he's grilling or cooking he's been nice and ask what I want or what I can have. Veggies and protein are pretty easy for us and he is on board with ghee. Weekends are harder because he can snack and not me :(

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Thank you! I don't think you're trying to justify things by wanting to add in a wrap or something. I think it's fair to want variety in your meals! You're doing amazing!

Guest bfree11

Day 34 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 strawberries, 4 cherries

Lunch: kale salad, pesto chicken

Dinner: chicken, broccoli, spaghetti squash bowl (restaurant)

Exercise: Yoga

I had a smaller breakfast today because I was going straight to yoga, so I didn't want anything too heavy. In the afternoon, I went to a BBQ and huge Pride Parade, where there was alcohol and junk food EVERYWHERE. I saw chips and hot dogs and I kept thinking, "maybe I'll just try ONE chip." But I knew that one chip would turn into 50 chips and a stomach ache, so I didn't go there. I did, however, drink some alcohol (3 drinks total). I felt a little pressured because people kept handing me drinks. I chose the lowest calorie options and drank slowly. I noticed people around me were constantly getting a refill, but I just kept sipping. It was sort of a "when in Rome" situation. Drinking is not part of my typical lifestyle and I don't particularly enjoy it. I do think that next time I'm in a situation like that, I could be better prepared to say no, and drink some club soda or something. I was proud of myself for not eating any of the food.

After the parade, we went out for dinner. I had a couple drinks and I felt a craving for something unhealthy... I think this was because that used to be what happened after drinking, unhealthy eating. My friend insisted that we go to this healthy restaurant (thank god). They have wraps and noodle bowls, and I was seriously considering a little splurge, but somehow, when it was time to order, I just got the Fitness Bowl, chicken, broccoli, spaghetti squash. 

Overall, I think I did pretty well today, especially with food, but I did learn some things that I can improve on in big drinking/social situations, which luckily I rarely encounter. 

Archived