Any advice on overactive bladder?

Dannimac

Day 22 for me (tough two days and the rest have seemed so easy!). Looking for advice from anyone who suffers with an overactive bladder because I long to sleep all through the night (average night is two to three visits!). This was an issue pre whole30 although I have had periods where it has been less intense than now. I know it's food, I just can't seem to nail what it is!

On positive note, seeing many other benefits including complete stop on nightly hip pain which is a total result!!

Thanks for reading x

I was having a similar issue, wakening pretty much every two hours through the night. I've been making sure I'm taking adequate liquids through the day, then stopping liquids at 7pm, and the situation has gradually improved. I'm managing to get three hours, a toilet visit, then an uninterrupted sleep now until just before my alarm goes off...

Out of curiosity, are you carrying a lot of excess water? Is whole 30 eating a big change in diet for you?

I ask because when we eat a lot of food that our bodies really don't like, it has to protect itself from the damage. One of the ways the body does that is to retain water in an attempt to dilute it. At one point, I was told I was carrying up to 20 pounds of excess water alone. When you stop eating the offending food, your body realizes it no longer has to hold onto that extra water for dilution,so it has to go somewhere...

For me, if I even get a whiff of dairy, I'll pack on 3-5 pounds of water weight overnight. Two days later, it'll come out in full force and I'll be in the bathroom 15 times a day. That's no exaggeration. At night when my body is at rest is when the majority seems to come out.

So, that leads me to two things

- it may be a good sign that you're releasing excess water. Keep a food log, see if there's something even a few days prior that you can put your finger on. Do this during the reintroduction phase.

- if you're drinking a ton of water and it seems to be going straight through you, take a look at your sodium intake. Without processed foods, we need to salt generously. Salt helps us hold onto water. You don't want too much of course, but see if you can find the sweet spot.

Thanks Karen! I'm definitely carrying excess water, I have done for a long time. The only time I ever saw it shift was when I did the Cambridge diet and it happened in a week. I refuse to do that diet again though because it can't possibly be good for you!! Got a feeling something in fruit and nuts if I'm honest - not eating lots of either but I am eating them where I wouldnt have before, so I need to play with that I guess... I've done full elimination before (off gluten for 2 and a half years) but I never felt I quite got it right and then it took about six months to get to tiger blood so I'm being patient and playing long!!

I have been seeing a doc for this issue, she gave me a list of food which irritate the bladder and suggested I eliminate them all for a week, then add them back in one at a time to see what makes a difference. I haven't solved all my issues yet, but coffee seems to really be a biggie, which I have cut out since being on this program. The list included caffeine, alcohol, soda of any kind, even seltzer, spicy foods, tomatoes, anything citrus, pineapple, strawberries, kiwis and chocolate. It is a tough list, I love all the fruits, eliminating the coffee, wine and diet coke have really improved things, being on whole 30 has helped quite a bit also. Good luck, I know how irritating it can be not to get good sleep.

Thanks Luisem, I know I need to look at eggs and tomatoes, two of my favourite things... You know when you just cross your fingers and hope it will go away without having to do anything about it? That's where I am right now, or just hoping its mushrooms...(which of course it isn't cos I never eat them!!). Just resisting giving up MORE stuff...eggs off the list from my next shop on Saturday...I'll try tomatoes after that. I eat a LOT of tomato...

• Administrators

Thanks Luisem, I know I need to look at eggs and tomatoes, two of my favourite things... You know when you just cross your fingers and hope it will go away without having to do anything about it? That's where I am right now, or just hoping its mushrooms...(which of course it isn't cos I never eat them!!). Just resisting giving up MORE stuff...eggs off the list from my next shop on Saturday...I'll try tomatoes after that. I eat a LOT of tomato...

I'm doing an egg free trial right now myself to try and determine if they are causing some issues for me and I've been really surprised to find how sad I am about it.  Like....SAD.  Like so sad I might consider dealing with the other issues just to put eggs back on my plate.  How lame is that, LOL!  With you in egg-free solidarity...for at least the next 2 weeks.  ;)

Ladyshanny that's exactly how I feel! Like I'm about to deprive myself of a great joy...that can't be true right? And a greater joy would be to find out what impairs my weight loss, bloats me and makes me want to pee all the time! Sending you egg free love and wondering what oddities I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow... Am thinking tuna and avocado! Xx

• Administrators

Ladyshanny that's exactly how I feel! Like I'm about to deprive myself of a great joy...that can't be true right? And a greater joy would be to find out what impairs my weight loss, bloats me and makes me want to pee all the time! Sending you egg free love and wondering what oddities I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow... Am thinking tuna and avocado! Xx

Ya, basically all I can think about his how much I love egg salad and how I should make a potato salad but I can't because I only like it with eggs in it and how mayo contains eggs anyway and I want an omelette and a hard boiled eggandthisisn'tfairgivemebackmyeggsgoshdarnit!  LOL.  We'll get through it.

For breakfast this week I made this turkey cranberry meatball recipe but I tripled it and baked it in a round stoneware pan.  It made 10 nice sized pieces. Then I roasted a bunch of veggies and just reheat them in the oven with my piece of meatloaf while I'm getting ready.  It's been quite tasty and I don't really remember that I'm supposed to be sad about it.  ;)

Archived