so tired post workout

missmary

I'm not quite sure what to make of this, but maybe something will jump out at someone. I'm about a month and a half post-whole 30, but with very few "off-road" choices. I work out for about an hour 6-days per week, usually alternating between strength training one day, cardio (agility + some sprinting) the next. This isn't new. I also bike commute 3-6 miles per day, usually. again, nothing out of the ordinary.

I've been having energy issues for a long time, needing lots and lots of sleep at night, but typically making it through the day ok. I've always tended to have MORE energy on workout days but the past couple days I've just been totally zapped. exhausted, skin clammy, mild headache. did I say exhausted? I don't want to have to take naps every afternoon (I gave in Saturday and Sunday, but after today I'll need to come up with a different plan to make it though the work day normally) but I can't figure out what to do. The only change was to add about 15-20 minutes of box jumps and jump roping to the front end of my typical workouts--just because it's fun and I was making progress. Is it really possible that that much activity is too much? This makes me so mad! I just want to be an active, energtic person. What do I need to do to get there?

I generally eat pretty low-carb/high fat, and I think I'm pretty well adapted to that, but maybe the jumping needs more carbs?

Food Saturday: can't remember breakfast. eggs+veggies, no doubt...chicken breast with something salady at lunch, dinner was skirt steak, mushrooms and red pepper from the grill w/chimichuri dressing. grilled peach with coconut creme (put a teaspoon of maple syrup in this) for desert.

Food Yesterday: chard, 1 chicken sausage, 2 eggs, sauteed in coconut milk; huge salad with greens, about a half-cup cubed sweet potatoes, roasted red peppers, grilled mushrooms, skirt steak, walnuts with chimichuri dressing; banana and almonds mid-afternoon (before giving in to the nap); ground lamb sauteed with onion and spices and coconut milk served over mashed cauliflower

Food Today (so far): 3 hard boiled eggs, roast beef, banana; ground lamb sauteed with onion and spices and coconut milk served over about a cup of sweet potatoes.

I'm still feeling STUFFED from the amount of food I ate for lunch, but still feeling super tired.

help!?

• Moderators

Serious athletes program deloading weeks where they reduce volume/weight of training. Frequency varies, but every fifth or sixth week is probably a good interval for taking it easy. Easy like 50 percent of what you ordinarily do.

Personally, I've been feeling more tired than usual lately, but I assume it is emotional stress. A friend got a diagnosis of esophageal cancer and all of a sudden I need more sleep! I haven't felt emotional, but knowing he is about to begin treatment is stressful. How's your stress?

The amount of carbs you are eating seems low relative to your activity level. If you are anywhere near lean, I would try adding more carbs. Actually, I've eaten carbs regularly even though I would like to be a little leaner. Baked sweet potatoes are just so easy to eat and I like how I feel.

yeah, I'm not anywhere near lean, but I do think I'll see if I can get carbs up to 100g per day or so.

On rest, in the past I've done deload if/when I stop making progress in the gym (or when I need a vacation! last break was at the end of May...so yeah, I'm probably due), but otherwise I just make a point of changing things up regularly. My performance has been great lately and I feel really good DURING the workouts, it's just after that has been the problem.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Tom.

I'm off to stock up on carbs and then I think I will let myself nap a bit before dinner. :)

I also completely agree with listening to your body. Obviously your body is like a cranky 2 year old just dying to take a nap. Normally sleep 8 hours? Shoot for 9. 9 hours? Go for 9.5. Deloads are a great way to recover, and you might even consider doing JUST active rest--normal bike commute, brisk walks--for a week. Good luck and keep us updated!

Update: took a short nap yesterday afternoon, ate a huge salad (with skirt steak and sweet potatoes and walnuts and cherry tomatoes, etc. etc. strawberries and coconut creme for dessert) then went to bed at 7:30pm. slept 10.5 hours. did foam rolling and yoga instead of agility cardio and jumping this morning and I feel FANTASTIC right now. :D :D :D

yeah, listening to my body is best. why must I learn this over and over again?

Great to hear the success!

If Crossfit is your 'sport' (rather than using the training to prepare for another pursuit) then it needs to be treated the same way you would a competition to ensure you maintain maximum output. This may mean dropping down to 2 hard sessions a week with long, slow recovery sessions on the other 4 days.

You mention that you are 'not anywhere near lean', given the volume of work that your are doing your body is likely conserving existing stores as it is not getting enough fuel. 6 hours a week at moderate to high intensity would be using ~4k-5kcalories, eg an extra 2 days average food.

Archived