Migraines and Reintroduction

Hello!

I decided to start the Whole30 in an effort to discover if there is a food trigger to why I get migraines.  Short story on migraines for me:

• I get them 1-2 times per month since my late teens.
  • I have annoying "normal" headaches 3-5 days per week.
  • Not related at all to my hormonal or menstrual cycle.
  • I drink tons of water, 64-100 ounces per day.
  • I'm 28 years old, 5'5" and 125 pounds, decently active and have a decent sleep schedule.
  • Migraines do not appear to be related to stress.
  • Migraine prescriptions don't work for me, some over the counter meds help.
  • I've seen a neurologist, I've had CAT scans and MRIs done, I've had my thyroid checked, I've had blood work done. I'm completely "healthy and normal."
  • The food journal I kept in the past revealed no food triggers (no, it doesn't seem to be chocolate or MSG or yogurt, or coffee, or any of the typical triggers), so I'm trying the Whole30 to try a more drastic approach.

I'm on Day 23 of the Whole30 now and have been eating more "clean" foods for about 8 weeks total, leading up to and including the Whole30.  Here is my food log: Whole30 Log_Chrysta.pdf

Here's my issue... I have had MORE headaches and migraines since doing the Whole30.  I have had almost a constant headache for 3 weeks now, 6 migraines, and only one day where I did not have a headache at all.

I'm coming up on when I should start reintroducing foods, BUT if I'm still having these kinds of headaches, how will I be able to tell if any of the non-compliant foods are a trigger?  If I already have a headache or migraine, I won't be able to tell if a newly introduced food is causing the headache. :(

How much longer should I keep doing the Whole30 while having these headaches before I introduce other foods again?  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for your thoughts.  Let me know if you need any more info.

Maybe it is a stress reponse.   Melissa has an excellent video about managing stress. Since you don't have triggers or cravings or anything like that....and you drink tons of water and I'm not sure what size of food portions you're eating -  drinking too much water while eating portions that are on the smaller side, you could be flushing some magnesium away, too.   

Magnesium (200 - 600 mg per day) -- People with migraines often have lower levels of magnesium than people who do not have migraines, and several studies suggest that magnesium may reduce the frequency of migraine attacks in people with low levels of magnesium. In one study, people who took magnesium reduce the frequency of attacks by 41.6%, compared to 15.8% in those who took placebo. Some studies also suggest that magnesium may be helpful for women whose migraines are triggered by their periods. Side effects from magnesium can include lower blood pressure and diarrhea. Magnesium can interact with medications including heart medications, diuretics or water pills, some antibiotics, and muscle relaxers.

Source: Migraine headache | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/migraine-headache#ixzz3bGJPJjBH 
University of Maryland Medical Center 

• Administrators

Hi Chrysta,

Sorry you've been having more headaches.  In your case of a long history of stubborn and pervasive headaches, you can probably expect this to take more than 30 days, to be honest.

Some things stand out in your food log.

• smoothies are discouraged.  Starting your day with liquid food is not recommended. Liquid food does not digest the same as food you chew and is not recognized by the body in the same way. Further, your smoothie days don't seem to include protein.  Liquid fruit also hits your blood stream much faster and can contribute to blood sugar highs and crashes (which are not headache friendly!).
  • coconut shortbread would not be permitted
  • eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in your hand, for most that is at least 3-4.  More protein at breakfast (and some fat, don't see any listed on egg days) will keep you going longer.  The fact that you snack at least once per day shows that you are not eating enough at meals.
  • larabars and fruit alone as snacks is going to spike your blood sugar also.  Leave larabars for emergencies or high intensity, long duration exercise (which is the only way they are approved) and if you need a snack between meals, make it protein, fat and veggies.

I'd be super curious to see a headache summary for each day to compare to the foods that you ate.  You are pretty fruit/larabar heavy and seem to eat fruit in place of proper meals or mini meals if you are pressed for time.  You could probably also afford to bump up your starchy veggie intake so that you are having at least one fist sized serving every day.

How much water are you drinking every day? 

I'll be perfectly honest, if I were in your situation I would do another 30 days but this time highly limit (or eliminate) fruit and larabars and try to follow the meal template for every meal.  Make each meal large enough to last you 4-5 hours.  

As lady Shanny explains above your meals seem very fruit laden.

I have noticed direct correlation between my migraine and.... dum... dum... daaaaa - SUGAR!

Ie - if I stick strictly close to whole 30 template meals, berries are my only fruit source, I have 0 migraines.  If I let a little bit of sugar, honey, maple syrup trickle in - boom!  I have a migraine. 

So Larabars, smoothies, and coconut shortbread + fruit would be a good guess that they are contributing to your migraines. 

To keep your sugar cravings at bay (and to help your hormones out) I would suggest maybe increasing your starchy veggie and fat intake

Hello Chrysta,

I am new to this forum, but sadly not to migraines - the primary reason I started Whole 30 on May 9th.    Prior to doing so, I experienced 10-15 migraine attacks every 30-45 days, especially the past several years.  I was feeling awful, fatigued, unable to sleep well, and I also felt I was becoming resistant to yet another migraine Rx.  Although my migraines are often tied to the weather and hormonal changes, I was fairly certain things in my diet were contributing factors.  A few years back my physician suggested cutting out gluten, which I did and had success with, but quickly fell into old habits - artificial sweeteners, placating the "sugar dragon" with unhealthy choices,  and too many carbs and processed foods.  Today is Day18 for me and (knock on wood) I have not had one migraine attack or inkling of a headache (except for maybe the first few days on the program.)  I have followed the program to the letter - and because there is still so much I am learning and really want to discover what are my migraine triggers are, not to mention positively impact my relationship with food, I am opting for another round when I complete this one of June 7th. Aside from one cup of coffee in the am and organic coconut water when water isn't cutting it, I drink only water --at least 6-7 24 oz cups a day.  I've realized three meals a day (spaced no more than 4 -5 hours apart) are all I need to feel good and strong and reaching for Whole 30 approved foods when it's not meal time is only "having sex with your pants on." So, I haven't. (reached for Whole 30 approved foods in between meals,I mean  :) ) I love fruit beyond measure but while on the program am trying to limit myself to the 2 servings a day, however given it's now so plentiful, sometimes add one more depending on the day/meal.  I also learned that I have to be sure I am eating enough protein and healthy fat at every meal, otherwise I feel hungry much sooner than I should.  Hoping the insight from another migraine sufferer offers some help. I wish you success in feeling better and continuing on Whole30!  

Thanks for all your comments!

I should have noted, I had several re-starts to get through Day 1, so my early coconut shortbread was for a party (not compliant I know) and I've only had one spinach smoothie, all in my first few days of starting this thing.

I'm on the go a lot and while I want to adhere to the Whole30 as best I can (and I'll pack a real meal in an insulated bag when I know I'm going to be out), I will also live my life while on the Whole30... so if I'm out shopping, working on a project, or in the city and I'm between meals, that's why I have a Larabar or fruit with me since they are easy to travel with.  My husband and I ride bikes for long distances, and a snack halfway is essential - Larabars work for this too.

Maybe this part is too personal, but I was going really easy on my fruit early on, and I was constipated as a result. Headaches and headache intensity didn't increase after adding more fruit, but my regularity and comfort did, so I'm happy about that part! I don't feel like I'm craving sugar at all. 

(Not trying to be defensive, just wanted to explain that I do understand how things are supposed to work.)

I'm drinking anywhere from 64-100 ounces of water each day, with an occasional cup of coffee every few days.

I'll try the suggestion of adding more starchy veggies and fats. I would cut out more fruit, but I really don't want to face constipation again (it seems that for my body and eating this much protein regularly, even all the veggies I'm eating is not enough to keep things moving).

Thank you!

• Administrators

Hey Chrysta, thanks for explaining a bit more.  I still stand by my recommendation to reduce fruit consumption and to only use larabars for actual emergencies and long rides. Here's why.  You have something goign on in your system that is not right and is causing numerous and severe headaches.  Whether you believe that fruit does or doesn't contribute to it, by reducing the fruit you open up room for more protein, veggies and fats, preferably in template quantities and around 4-5 hours apart.  I'm not saying one way or the other that fruit is or isn't a trigger for you, only you can know that.  But you get the absolute most complete and significant results from Whole30 when you follow not only the food rules but the spirit and healing recommendations of the program.

If you are experiencing constipation when you cut back on fruits, there are things that you can do to help youself out with that.  First, you may need a different assortment of gut bacteria which can be helped by eating fermented foods (kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha) or by taking a probiotic or even a digestive enzyme.  Second, you need more veggies when you eliminate the fruits.  You should be aiming for 1-3 cups minimum with every meal.  More when it's leafy greens.  And at least one serving of starchy veggie like winter squash or sweet potato.

Finally, if you are still experiencing constipation you may consider taking a magnesium supplement.  Magnesium draws water into the bowels and can help with elimination.

One more thing about living life while on Whole30.  You can.  You should!  Most of us do.  But if you can plan ahead enough to pack apples and larabars and bananas, you can plan ahead enough to pack hard boiled eggs and sardines and compliant jerky and some chicken thighs.  It's a matter of changing your idea of convenience foods to something less fruity. ;)

You are, of course, free to do as you please.  But if you are doing xyz right now and you are not experiencing relief from your headaches/migraines, you may want to try revising xyz to some degree to try and get some relief.  That's why you posted here, right? To get some advise and a different perspective so that you could make a revision and try to get some relief? ;)

• 1 month later...

In case it is helpful to anyone else out there suffering with increased migraines while on the Whole30, I wanted to share an update on my situation.

I completed 40 days of the Whole30 with no relief at all, even after implementing advice shared here. I was miserable, actually, having more headaches and migraines during the Whole30 than when eating normally.  I was very stressed about this, not knowing what I should do ... I was in constant pain, but I didn't want my time and effort to be wasted.  I couldn't introduce an old food to see if it gave me a headache if I already had a headache. So, should I keep suffering and hope to turn a corner sometime, or stop and try something else?

Don't kill me here, but the Whole30 was not my answer. 

I slowly reintroduced normal foods again, and while still having headaches at this point, I didn't get a migraine from anything. My conclusion after a few weeks of eating normally, my headaches slowly lessening a bit, was that food was not my issue.

I started going to a chiropractor recently, and while it's still early to officially report on if this is a real solution for me, after three weeks of regular chiropractor visits, my headaches are starting to become less frequent.  I haven't had a migraine since quitting the Whole30 in early June. That's a huge victory for me!  I'm hopeful that getting my spine in good shape will be a solution for me.

What to do when the Whole30 (or anything you've put your effort and hope into for a time) isn't the answer?  Don't waste time being bitter or upset with the program; learn from your experiences and move on to the next thing.

For anyone who is struggling with headaches or migraines while on the Whole30, I would still say to give it your best effort.  Try it and keep it up until the end. It could help you learn some things and bring some relief.  If not, then move on to try the next thing. 

• Administrators

Thank you, chrystamarie, for sharing your story.  It's always good to hear from people, especially when it's surrounding something as concerning and debilitating as migraines or constant headaches.

I would like to suggest one thing though and that's that the Whole30 didn't NOT work for you.  As in, perhaps you didn't get any relief by following Whole30 principles and practices because it sounds like your migraines are caused by something going on in your central nervous system which chiropractic is helping with.  

That is also to say that eating less healthy foods also didn't necessarily cause you to get better.  It's possible that in the course of doing your Whole30 you inadvertently reduced your consumption of something that your "normal" foods gave you when you added them back (sodium, magnesium, carbohydrates etc).  

As I said, I appreciate you coming back to share here, especially because you shared that you are finding relief in a somewhat "alternate" therapy.  I'm not trying to undermine the determinations that you've made for yourself, I just want it to be clear to folks suffering that going back to eating brownies or taking cream in their coffee or having a sandwich for lunch isn't going to help their situation.  

I also wanted to say that I understand wanting to "move onto the next thing" when you feel that you aren't getting results but unfortunately things like chronic headaches or migraines are one of those horrid things that takes consistency and very often much longer than 30 days.  The human body would never intentionally do something that causes itself excruciating pain so it's possible that they are a result of something we're doing to ourselves that is more prevalent now than has ever been in the past.  Genetically modified grains, depleted soil, chemicals and sugar added to nearly everything we eat, poorly fed animals etc.  Along with poor posture, lack of exercise, fluorescent lights, lack of sufficient fresh air & sunlight, the causes of migraine could be nearly anything and it is my belief that the more you can give your body foods and fluids that don't cause further damage (a la Whole30 whether you see tangible change or not), the more likely you are to eventually get relief and figure out your triggers.

Archived