When to eat breakfast?

I'm on Day 16 of my first Whole 30 and I'm doing it.  I read today that it is recommended to eat breakfast soon after waking and to not have coffee alone first - I think I missed that advice.  My routine has been to wake up, have a cup of coffee, then on the way to work have a handful of raw almonds and a seltzer water and then about 4 hours after waking up, I have a yummy breakfast.  Should I change that? what's the best timing for breakfast?

• Administrators

Yoinks, ya, you missed some of our main recommendations.  

We recommend a full template breakfast (template linked in my signature below) within an hour of waking.  This helps right your hormones and blood sugar and sets you up for the day.

We strongly suggest you follow the meal template and build meals for yourself that will keep you going for 4-5 hours.  If you are hungry between meals while you are working out how much food you need to eat in a sitting, you can have a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.

Guest Andria

Yes, you should change your routine.  What you read is correct; the Whole30 recommends for best results to eat WITHIN 1 hour of waking.  This to promote proper hormonal rhythms.  The recommendation to save coffee until after breakfast is because it can be an appetite suppressant. 

Wow! Very helpful - thanks.  I followed the 7 day meal plan in the new book and then the next week was able to use other recipes from the book so I've been full and feeling good and not having to snack but I haven't been eating breakfast at the right time.  My work colleagues will be glad for me to eat breakfast at home - although living through the weird questions about why I was having chili with an egg for breakfast was good for me!

A way you could have your chili and egg is to take an oven safe individual casserole dish, put some chili that you have warmed up in  the dish and crack 2-3 eggs over and pop into a 400 degree pre-heated oven and bake for 15 minutes or so or until the eggs are done to your liking. Have with some sauteed greens on the side and some avocado and yummmmmm! I make this quite often when we have left over chili--so good and a nice change up for dinner too. 

I also have a question about breakfast. I normally work out first thing in the morning. If I eat the Post-WO "meal" after I work out, when do I eat my breakfast meal? Do I wait a couple hours til mid morning?

Eat your meal one an hour or so after.

When I train in the mornings I have my preWO shortly after wakening, train, eat my post WO immediately, shower etc, then eat meal one when I get to work.

Archived