Sleepy

First week of my 2nd Whole 30, and  experiencing things I didn't the first time. I have been extremely  sleepy these past 2 mornings, after having gotten up. This in spite of having gone to bed by 11pm and getting up at 7am. I don't recall any sleep interruptions during the night.  Just not used to this since during my first Whole 30 I was jumping out of bed and heading straight to the pool/gym before breakfast the entire 4 weeks.

What could this be? I don't want to OD on coffee, sticking to a cup a day. But it's uncomfortable. Please share if you've had a similar bout with sleepiness and how long I can expect this to last. Thanks!

Are you getting enough water?

Could it just be that you need more sleep due to actvity levels?

Where are you at in your menstrual cycle?

Could you post a few days worth of food/water intake/activity levels in case there are some tweaks to be made to help you to feel better?

I'd say I'm drinking as much as 7-8  regular glasses of water a day, and I'm following the same meal plan I had for my first Whole 30. 

I

Are you getting enough water?

Could it just be that you need more sleep due to actvity levels?

Where are you at in your menstrual cycle?

Could you post a few days worth of food/water intake/activity levels in case there are some tweaks to be made to help you to feel better?

I'd say I'm drinking about 7-8 glasses of water a day ( 8 oz/ glass) , and eating from the same meal plan I had for my first whole 30.  I'm about 2 weeks from my period.  I'm  swimming 30 minutes a day, as I have for the past year, with weight training every 10 days.  The only things I'm thinking that are different are that I've done quite a bit of cross-town walking for errands and work the last couple of days, and the weather has gotten warmer. Could that be it? 

What worked for you last time around food wise won't necessarily work for you now - you're not the same person you were then, and whole30 eating is a work in progress.

Also, you're two weeks out from your period which would indicate that you're in and around ovulation which may cause tiredness. 

The rise in heat and additional walking would certainly give cause for taking on more fluids. Are you getting a half your body weight (lbs)  in oz? (8 x 8oz glasses would make you 128lbs)

The best thing to do would be to post up a few days worth of food to see if that might be the issue, or at least to rule it out.

What worked for you last time around food wise won't necessarily work for you now - you're not the same person you were then, and whole30 eating is a work in progress.

Also, you're two weeks out from your period which would indicate that you're in and around ovulation which may cause tiredness. 

The rise in heat and additional walking would certainly give cause for taking on more fluids. Are you getting a half your body weight (lbs)  in oz? (8 x 8oz glasses would make you 128lbs)

The best thing to do would be to post up a few days worth of food to see if that might be the issue, or at least to rule it out.

Thanks for this, really helpful. You're right, everything this different now. I was coming off a pretty much low-carb diet  when I did my first Whole 30, coming off a year of losing 45 lbs.  Today, I'm coming off a vacation where I did indulge in a couple of  non-compliant things for about 2 weeks. (read: wine, sugar, rice) 

Oh, and no, I'm not 128 lbs so definitely not drinking enough water then!!! I should definitely be drinking more.

Just for good measure too, here's been my food for the last 3 days: 

Monday

B-  2 organic knacker sausages (made by my local butcher), 2 handfuls frozen broccoli, 1 apple, black coffee

L-  pan roasted salmon, 2 medium boiled potatoes,  a couple of asparagus spears 

S-  cashew nuts (handful), 2 handfuls of grapes

D-  2 oven-roasted chicken thighs with Chinese 5-spice, cucumber and carrot salad, vinegar and olive oil dressing

Tuesday

B- 2 (leftover ) chicken thighs, a large Japanese pear, about a cup of frozen green beans, black coffee

L- Restaurant 6 oz beef fillet grilled, sauteed mushrooms ( I asked that they not use butter ), a big bowl of steamed cauliflower,broccoli, and carrots  

S- 1 apple, mix of almonds and cashews

D- homemade tuna patties ( used mashed potatoes as binder), lettuce and tomato salad, vinegar and olive oil dressing

Wednesday

B- leftover tuna patties, salad, black coffee

L- 2 organic knacker sausages, 1 fried egg, baked sweet potato, handful frozen broccoli 

S- grapes

D- 1.5 serving of 6oz beef burger patties ( from the butcher), onions and mushrooms, zucchini ribbons

Thanks again for any additional input! I guess this will always be a process of refining and getting it just right. :)

Your food looks a little light to me in general, which is reinforced by your need to snack, and also seriously lacking in fat.

I'd add fat at each meal, and up the quantity of veg to cut the snacking out - fruit should only be eaten with or as part of a meal, and those nuts will be making your digestive tract work hard, although I doubt that's what's making you sleepy.

The fat should help, but it could well just be that stage in your cycle...

Make sure you're getting enough water and at least a serving of starchy veg every day for a while, and hopefully it should pass...

Your food looks a little light to me in general, which is reinforced by your need to snack, and also seriously lacking in fat.

I'd add fat at each meal, and up the quantity of veg to cut the snacking out - fruit should only be eaten with or as part of a meal, and those nuts will be making your digestive tract work hard, although I doubt that's what's making you sleepy.

The fat should help, but it could well just be that stage in your cycle...

Make sure you're getting enough water and at least a serving of starchy veg every day for a while, and hopefully it should pass...

You're right, I do end up needing to snack! And I haven't been strict about having a serving of fruit WITH a meal rather than in between. Let me do those tweaks from this week onwards. 

Thanks for the tips. I'm drinking plenty of water for the time being, plus trying to set my bedtime 30 minutes earlier :)  

Archived