Questions about Reintroduction

I'm kind of confused about reintroduction. I just finished my 9 days of whole30, onto my 10th day tomorrow morning. So far so good, i snacked a lot on nuts though, need to control myself on that. I have a lot of questions I'm curious about

1) Let’s say you finished your whole30, then what? Can you have a piece of chocolate or grab a cocktail drink with your friend?
2) How do you define eating healthy when you off whole30? I meant occasionally you go out and have drinks with friends on weekend? Obviously alcohol is not allowed on whole30
3) Can you still eat the food you eat when you’re on whole30, and have some chocolates or have a drink on weekend to reward yourself? (as you can see, these 2 are my favorite lol it been so hard this past 10 days! ):

4) Can I have a turkey sandwich or acai bowl while keeping whole30 food habit?

5) Or is there no point? Might as well just start a 2nd whole30?

The purpose of reintroduction is to help you decide how to "ride your own bike" going forward.  You're an experiment of n=1: no one can tell you how you'll physically or psychologically react to reintroducing chocolate, cocktails or bread until you do so.

You can either reintroduce following this structured schedule or do more of a slow-roll reintroduction

Armed with those results, you then decide whether and how often to eat certain off-plan foods, in terms of whether it's worth it to you.

Whether you do another Whole30 is dependent on your personal goals for why you took on a Whole30 in the first place.

• Moderators

If you are snacking on nuts, you are not eating enough food at meals. What you need to work on is not simply controlling yourself when it comes to nuts. You need to increase the protein, fat, and veggie content of your meals so that you are not tempted to eat nuts.

• Administrators

I would say also that instead of focussing or wondering about reintroduction when you are barely a third of the way through the program, focus on the now.  All the lessons and signs and signals that you should be learning about your body.  How you feel when you eat enough vs not enough, how your sleep is when you add starchy veggies, how your exercise/energy levels are.  The more attention you pay to yourself as you go along, the better equipped you are going to be to assess your reaction to foods as you start to reintroduce them at the end.

You may very likely find that at the end of 30 days that you are going to desire (or not desire) things in a very different way than you do now. Chocolate, wine and turkey sandwiches may not hold the same appeal to you once you have completed the program.

I was wondering what do everyone do after their first whole30? Do you stay on it forever? (because it's healthy of course) Or do you start a 2nd whole30 because you went back to your old habit eating sweet and stuff? After my first whole30, can I keep my whole30 eating habit (i'll try to keep it as perfect as possible) and go out on weekend to have drinks with friends or dessert? What I wanted to ask is that pretty much I'll eat clean, follow whole30 rule on weekdays, and eat out a day or two on weekend. Will this be okay?

You can do whatever you want after your Whole30 is done.  :)  You get to make your own rules.

Whole30 is not designed to be Whole365.  Use it as a nutritional reset to figure out how you want to eat long term.

If your old habits of eating sweets and consuming alcohol make you feel crappy, then you need to decide how often you want to eat have those types of foods.

I was wondering what do everyone do after their first whole30? Do you stay on it forever? (because it's healthy of course) Or do you start a 2nd whole30 because you went back to your old habit eating sweet and stuff? After my first whole30, can I keep my whole30 eating habit (i'll try to keep it as perfect as possible) and go out on weekend to have drinks with friends or dessert? What I wanted to ask is that pretty much I'll eat clean, follow whole30 rule on weekdays, and eat out a day or two on weekend. Will this be okay?

I had to study up on reintroductions and I was happy when the Slow Roll answered all of my questions. It buys you time before you launch back into the deep of adding everything back at once.  A reintroduction is the best part of the Whole 30.  It's a  Food Reset.  You test the waters and start customizing your own food management plan.   After 30 days, you have some new skills under your belt.

You can slowly test and experiment with each food group...one at a time.   If you determine that grains, dairy, legumes don't bother you at all or are not the best for you....it will take some experimenting to see how often you want those back in your life.  If you struggle with any food triggers and experimenting with pizza or pasta causes you to fall back into bowls of them  - you'll want to rein that in.

It's fun and with time, practice, introspection, reflection and flexibility.....you get to remove all value judgments from issues with food.   Your food reset is personal, individual, unique for you.   

You don't have to add anything back in that causes you problems.  I haven't met many normal eaters in my life, we all have a few quirks  or habits.   But you're going to have some food freedom  from obsessive vigilance and dieting.   You're going to be really free to focus in on Happy Awareness for you. 

I think what I missed most is chewing gum. Yes I know it's bad but for me, chewing gum help suppress my appetite. My question is if I do my best to keep my whole30 eating habit after my first whole 30, and I chew a piece of gum everyday, will that ruin my healthy lifestyle after whole30 or is a piece of gum really "unhealthy"? 

We really don't give guidance on what is more healthy or less healthy post-Whole30. Gum isn't on a Whole30 because of the sweeteners and because it fakes out your digestive system.

Again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's your call for what you feel is worth it to reintroduce in your life and body.

Yes I know it's bad but for me, chewing gum help suppress my appetite. 

I would do some thinking about this one. If you are hungry, it is really much better to eat than to suppress your appetite. Work on making sure your hormones are balanced and you are eating foods that don't create false hunger (like junk food does) and you should be able to eat until satisfied and not have an unwelcome appetite to suppress. really. 

Thank you everyone for replying! I was wondering what is everyone doing with their whole30/healthy lifestyle right now? Are you still on it and ONLY break it when there's a big event like wedding? Whole 30 on weekdays and have some wine weekend? Or follow this structure, eat bad one day then back to whole 30 for 2-3 days? http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

everybody is different. For me personally, I eat whole30-style most of the time, and never ever eat gluten, dairy or soy on purpose. I do allow a little bit of sugar in my post-whole30 life, mostly in the form of soy-free dark chocolate, but I know I am lucky in that I can have one square and stop. I find I do best following the template. 3 meals, no snacking, etc. so it is worth it to me to keep that up. the longer I do it, the less I want to go off-plan (I don't like feeling crappy!), but it did take a while to figure out the balance that was right for me.

your balance will be different.

just know that you can always go back to strict whole30 for a while to get your bearings and try again.  :)

WHOLE30: A LEARNING TOOL, NOT A LIFESTYLE

18 May, 2015

From Dallas Hartwig, Whole30 co-creator, professional Science-English translator, motorcycle aficionado, and part-time hooligan.

You already know the Whole30 is not a diet. It’s not like Atkins or Weight Watchers, and despite its similarities in terms of food selection, the Whole30 is not the same as being “on a Paleo diet.” As we’ve explained, you have to change the framework for how you think about this experience and not try to fit the Whole30 into the “diet” box.

But here’s the thing: the Whole30 program itself is also not a lifestyle. It can and should open the door to a new lifestyle, but our specific rules are not intended to be a way of eating long term, nor is it a benchmark to live up to or a lifetime of “perfect” to be obtained.

In fact, eventually, we hope you won’t need the Whole30 at all… because the Whole30 is a plan designed to make itself obsolete as quickly as possible.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/05/whole30-learning-tool/#sthash.r7vy6kYi.dpuf

Find Your New Normal

When I practiced physical therapy, I knew I was getting to be a better clinician over time because I could discontinue therapy with a patient sooner than in my earlier years of practice. They healed faster, so they didn’t have to see me any longer. That thought process strongly influenced the way we designed the Whole30 program, and still holds true today.

Our goal with the Whole30 is to support and catalyze new, healthy habits so that after doing the program, learning about how food affects you, and changing your relationship with food, you can settle into your new baseline, an effortless “new normal.”

Do at least one Whole30 completely following all the guidelines without any changes or modifications. Take special care with the reintroduction period after your Whole30, and learn about how different foods affect your body. And then decide for yourself, day in and day out in a conscious, deliberate fashion which foods to put on your plate.

Of course, everyone’s journey is different. You may feel like 30 days was not enough for you to lose your cravings or make your new habits stick, but doing a Whole60 or throwing in a Whole30 a few times this year does the trick. You don’t get demerits for giving your body more time to adjust to eating real food within the parameters of the Whole30.

In fact, if you ever feel like you need to come back to the structure of the Whole30, please do. ​If you’re doing another Whole30 because you’d like to learn more about the effect of specific foods on your health or performance, go for it! Are you doing another Whole30 because you want to support your mom who is trying the program for the first time? Awesome. Have you fallen back into less healthy habits after a stressful period or a vacation? Come on back for a reset.

​But my goal is for you to be able to ride your own bike as quickly as possible. I want you to have the confidence and experience you need to make educated decisions about the food on your plate, and then move on with the rest of your life such that you don’t need the Whole30 anymore.

The Whole30: A Gateway into a Whole New Life

I can honestly say that good food choices are easy and effortless for me now—not because I have some sort of exceptional willpower or because I am somehow a superior human (unless you ask my mother, but she doesn’t count). Six years ago, I used the Whole30 to learn about my body, and now I know that if I want to have a dram of single malt scotch, a few corn tortillas, or some French toast on Christmas morning (ask me how well that worked out), I can, and I do. There is no guilt, it doesn’t send me off into a spiral of cravings and overconsumption, and I can easily get right back to my regularly scheduled diet (although there are consequences to those choices, which I am aware of ahead of time, and deal with after the fact).

All of this is to say that the Whole30 is not a diet, and the rules of those 30 days are not meant to stretch into a lifestyle. The Whole30 is a learning tool, a springboard into the rest of your life, where you can spend less mental energy and willpower struggling with your food choices and more time and emotional energy living.

After doing a Whole30, you don’t need to say you eat “modified Whole30” or “mostly Whole30.” You can simply say that you did the Whole30 program, you learned how great you feel when you changed the food on your plate, and you’ve decided to continue eating in a way that makes you feel happy, stable, healthy, and energetic.

I don’t love the Whole30 because it’s a good nutrition plan. I don’t love it because it helps people manage health issues or lose weight or starve their Sugar Dragon. I don’t even love it because it helped my sister (who has rheumatoid arthritis) eliminate her joint pain and stiffness. I love the Whole30 because it provides the platform off of which you can springboard into a whole new life. It gives people self-confidence, joy, and a clean slate to tackle hard things, good things, new things.

The Whole30 can be the gateway into a whole new life. Don’t hang out at the doorway. Walk forward, go beyond. We’re here for you, and we’re rooting for you.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/05/whole30-learning-tool/#sthash.r7vy6kYi.dpuf

• 2 months later...

Completed W30 on June 22nd. Have been doing a very slow roll reintroduction. Stomach issues have slowed me down.

Things I already know. Gluten and lactose intolerant. Tested peanut butter but my ankles swelled after. So no legumes.

Also had a bad day and chose to have a gluten free bun and kettle chips...not like a planned reintroduction.

These is my question. Do I need to restart reintro with 15 compliant days

Things I don't want to try; gluten; dairy; legumes. Would like to try white rice and 85% chocolate. In the past I have been able to limit myself to two squares without over indulging.

So I want 2 things occasional white rice and 85% chocolate.

How do you think I should proceed?

Completed W30 on June 22nd. Have been doing a very slow roll reintroduction. Stomach issues have slowed me down.Things I already know. Gluten and lactose intolerant. Tested peanut butter but my ankles swelled after. So no legumes.Also had a bad day and chose to have a gluten free bun and kettle chips...not like a planned reintroduction.These is my question. Do I need to restart reintro with 15 compliant daysThings I don't want to try; gluten; dairy; legumes. Would like to try white rice and 85% chocolate. In the past I have been able to limit myself to two squares without over indulging.So I want 2 things occasional white rice and 85% chocolate.How do you think I should proceed?

I would suggest resuming 100% Whole30 eating again until you feel how you did at the end of your Whole30. Then proceed with testing rice and chocolate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, am on Day 31 now and came across this.

I added sugar today into my diet- had bacon with eggs at breakfast, and popcorn today at the movies (both salted and sweet).

Not sure whether it was me being paranoid, but I didn't feel good after having that popcorn- was bloated and sluggish, and my appetite was also ruined for dinner.

My questions:

1. Is popcorn considered a "gluten free grain"?

2. Do you guys think it was the sugar from the popcorn that made me feel so horrible, or the corn in general?

3. Lastly, is a reintroduction absolutely necessary for me to complete my whole 30 experience? After today I'm perfectly happy going back to whole30 style meals, with the occasional weekend/ date night treat.

Feeling paranoid about having to ingest all that sugar/ dairy/ grains/ legumes after my 30 days. Would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks guys!

• Administrators

Hi guys, am on Day 31 now and came across this.

I added sugar today into my diet- had bacon with eggs at breakfast, and popcorn today at the movies (both salted and sweet).

Not sure whether it was me being paranoid, but I didn't feel good after having that popcorn- was bloated and sluggish, and my appetite was also ruined for dinner.

My questions:

1. Is popcorn considered a "gluten free grain"?

2. Do you guys think it was the sugar from the popcorn that made me feel so horrible, or the corn in general?

3. Lastly, is a reintroduction absolutely necessary for me to complete my whole 30 experience? After today I'm perfectly happy going back to whole30 style meals, with the occasional weekend/ date night treat.

Feeling paranoid about having to ingest all that sugar/ dairy/ grains/ legumes after my 30 days. Would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks guys!

1.  Yes, corn is considered a gluten free grain

2.  I suspect if it is movie theatre popcorn there was more than just sugar and corn.  Probably some questionable oil and chemicals in their mix as well as MSG, soy etc.  

3.  A structured reintroduction is not critically necessary, no.  You might consider reading this Slow Roll Reintroduction article and see if that better fits for you.  http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

• 5 weeks later...

For me, the Re-Intro is important because I did all that hard work to give myself a baseline to work with. I really feel the Re-intro is part of the package deal, and that after I've done that I can relax into riding my own bike, with the knowledge I've gained about what makes me feel lousy or puts me on a bad road. I really want to know how each of these foods affects me. It's hard enough to pin down even while eating whole30.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it ok to make stops longer than 2 days? I was thinking about 3 days in between reintroduction days.

Also, is it also ok to reintroduce the same food group twice?

For example:

Day1: Gluten

Day2: W30

Day3: W30

Day4: W30

Day5: Dairy

Day6: W30

Day7: W30

Day8: W30

Day9: Gluten again..

Day9: W30

I was thinking it would be good to confirm the symptoms after each reintroduction.

Is it ok to make stops longer than 2 days? I was thinking about 3 days in between reintroduction days.

Also, is it also ok to reintroduce the same food group twice?

For example:

Day1: Gluten

Day2: W30

Day3: W30

Day4: W30

Day5: Dairy

Day6: W30

Day7: W30

Day8: W30

Day9: Gluten again..

Day9: W30

I was thinking it would be good to confirm the symptoms after each reintroduction.

Having more than 2 days in between would be fine.

On retesting, I'd suggest seeing how your first round goes and then decide whether to retest. If you have crystal clear reactions, no need to retest.  Or, you might want to break things down further: e.g., a corn only day, or separating out raw dairy from pasteurized dairy, hard cheese vs soft cheese, etc.

• 2 years later...

I have two questions issues. I had a wonderful Whole30 and am 3 days into my reintroduction. I try to eat 2 palm-sized servings of meat with each meal, and at least 3 cups of veggies, sometimes some fruit, and some healthy fats like nuts or avocado. I took the last week of W30 off of eggs because I was noticing a lot of drainage and congestion after eating them. So my first day of reintro - I ate some plain scrambled eggs (olive oil to coat the pan). No problem, so 30 minutes later, I had the rest of my breakfast - all things I had tolerated that week. Before finishing my meal, I suddenly had the worst diarrhea - cramps, cold sweats, profuse. It happened about four times and I felt so tired, cold, and kind of achey. I stayed home from work, thinking either food poisoning or a GI bug - or could it be those eggs? I am nervous now about more reintro, and plan to re-intro eggs again eventually. But since that day, I am waking up every night ravenously hungry - around 2-3am! I have also noticed I am hungry at bedtime. Again, I am trying to eat a LOT of high-quality food for all of my meals. I have never woken up in the night hungry in my life (so grateful) - is this ok? Is it distressing to my hormones to ignore hunger and go back to sleep?  I am in the week before my period - could this explain this intense hunger (and yes it's definitely hunger - also dealing with "cravings" during the day when I am not hungry and using the tools to try to address those). Oy - this makes W30 seem "easy" :) I was never hungry in the night during W30!

Archived