Kim's second Whole30

genghiskhym

I finished my first Whole30 on April 28th. I did some reintroductions and found out that either my body doesn't like non-gluten grains or it just didn't like that many carbs in one day. I found out that dairy is fine for me and that one beer is fine, but two is too much. I have had some sugar, but it hasn't really caused my sugar dragon to come raging back. Although, if there are treats in the house I think about them and eat them at the first opportunity even if I really don't want them, so it's just best not to have them in the house. Stupid paleo macaroons. 

My first Whole30 was about learning to navigate the program. I'm back for another round to refine the perfect diet for me. I'm going to track some additional metrics because I'm interested in knowing more about: What is causing me to be dizzy? What is a good carb intake for me? Do bone broth and Kombucha make me feel even better (they weren't a part of my first Whole30)? 

I didn't step on the scale this morning. I ended my first Whole30 at 135.4 and I'm considering that my starting weight for this round. Not weighing myself has been very liberating.

D1M1: 3 eggs with 1/2 sweet potato and a zucchini sauteed in coconut oil + kombucha

D1M2: Salad with nectarines, blueberries and 2 chicken thighs, herb vinaigrette + roasted carrots

D1M3: Steak with Brussels sprouts + Strawberries + a tiny nectarine

Day of cycle: 4

Back pain: medium 

Wrist pain: none 

Headache: no

Dizziness: no

BM: Yes

Water Intake: medium

Exercise: 30 minute stationary bike

Meditation: no

Sleep: 8:18 - got up once to go to the bathroom, woke before the alarm. Weird dreams. 

Day 2

M1: Leftover steak + 2 eggs with 1/2 sweet potato, a zucchini and radishes sauteed in beef fat

M2: Green chile stew + Salad with strawberries + roasted carrots

M3: Mexican ground beef wraps + cherries

Day of cycle: 5

Back pain: low to medium - it's healing faster than it ever has after being re-injured.

Wrist pain: mild 

Water Intake: high

Exercise: no

Sleep: 7:20 - I was awake in the middle of the night for about 30 minutes. 

I don't feel well. Just kind of achy. Over last weekend I ate paleo food, but I did drink a few beers. I wonder if that was enough to make me feel me feel carb-fluy. 

Day 3

M1: 2 chicken thighs, 1/2 sweet potato, radishes, swiss chard sauteed in coconut oil and bone broth + 1/2 avocado

Planned M2:  Green chile stew + Salad with tomato, cucumbers, blueberries, herb vinaigrette 

PWO: small piece of salmon + coconut oil

M3:  2 applegate hot dogs with sauerkraut and dijon + coleslaw + strawberries and cherries

Day of cycle: 6

Back pain: mild

Exercise: yoga and bodyweight exercises

Sleep: 7:30

Do you get dizzy spells? Migraines? Is that why you initially went on the Whole30? Did you keep a log of your first one? I'm curious what you learned... mainly because I still get kinda dizzy on this whole30, and I think it might have to do with waiting so long between meals. still fine-tuning the program..... best of luck!

I started getting dizzy spells and headaches at the end my first Whole30 and it continued into my reintroductions. I did keep a log, but I wasn't paying attention to dizziness and headaches at the time. This time I want to see if I can really figure it out, so I'm paying attention to carbs and water and where I'm at in my cycle and every other little thing. :)  Time between meals is another good thing to look at. Best of luck to you too!

Here's a link to my first log: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26390-first-whole-30-log/#entry277771

Day 4

M1: 4 eggs + 2 turkey sausage

PostWO: coconut larabar + 1/2 c bone broth + kombucha

M2: 2 Italian sausages with sauerkraut and dijon + big ass salad with cucumbers, tomato, berries, herb vinaigrette + plantain fried in coconut oil 

M3: ribs + coleslaw

Day of cycle: 7

Dizziness: yes. getting off the bike after 17 miles I got dizzy and then again before lunch.

BM: yes

Exercise: 17 mile bike ride + yoga 

Sleep:  7:30 hours. good sleep

Day 5

M1: 3 egg omelette with spinach, tomatoes and green chile + 3 bacon + coffee + kombucha

M2: baked chicken with a salad + strawberries

M3: steak + baked potato wtih ghee

Day of cycle: 8
Back pain: medium - still hurting after the bike ride.
Wrist pain: light to medium - it started hurting last night and I wasn't even doing anything with it
Headache: light and dull
Dizziness: I have felt lightheaded for the last few hours after breakfast. 
BM: no
Water Intake: low
Exercise: yoga
Meditation:  yes, finally.
Sleep: 7:30. I slept very well. 

After M1: I feel sad. No reason for it, just really sad.

In the afternoon I started feeling better. 

Day 6

M1: 2 applegate hot dogs + homemade coleslaw

M2: chicken leg + 2 hb eggs + apple and almond butter + grapefruit- work was crazy and I didn't have much time. 

M3: pork chop, sauerkraut+ roasted carrots + sweet potato

Day of cycle: 9

Back pain: mild to medium - it's getting better

Exercise: no - i couldn't go after work because of the craziness

Meditation:  Yes

Sleep: 7:30 - good sleep, got up once to go to the bathroom. woke up 15 minutes before the alarm. 

Day 7

M1: chicken salad with homemade mayo and tarragon, a tomato and 1/3 of a big cucumber + 1/2 avocado

M2: green chile stew + salad + 1/2 avocado (i didn't have anything to put the other half in after breakfast so i just ate it at lunch.)

snack: 2 figs

M3: 2 spicy italian sausages with sauerkraut + roasted carrots and turnips

Day of cycle: 10

Meditation: yes

Sleep: 7:40 good sleep didn't wake up to go to bathroom

Day 8

M1: chicken salad with homemade mayo and tarragon, a tomato and 1/3 of a big cucumber + 1/2 avocado

M2: green chile stew (added some bone broth) + salad + 1/2 avocado + grapefruit 

PostWO: Larabar

M3: Mexican beef wraps + 6 strawberries + kombucha

Day of cycle: 11

Dizziness: lightheaded

Exercise: .5 walk at work + 30 minutes on stationary bike.

Sleep: 7:30. pretty good. it was windy and the windows were open all over the house I got up at 12:15 and shut them. 

I was lightheaded at the gym. I forgot to eat a hb egg before I left, so I got a Larabar and water at Sprouts afterward. I felt better. This time the lightheadness got better after eating, but I've also been lightheaded right after I ate. It's difficult to figure out. 

Day 9

M1: 3 eggs with onion, red pepper and a zucchini, cooked in bacon fat

M2: big ass salad with romaine, kale, cabbage, chicken thighs, bacon, tomato, cucumber, blueberries and a creamy red wine vinaigrette 

M3: 2 grass-fed hot dogs with sauerkraut, mustard + sweet potato with coconut butter

Day of cycle: 12
Headache: slight
Dizziness:  slight
BM:  yes
Exercise: .75 mile walk at work
Sleep: 7:20 pretty good. only woke up once for a minute.

I stopped taking supplements somewhere along the line. I'm going to start taking a multi-vitamin and fish oil again. Maybe I'm deficient in something and that will help with the dizziness. 

Didn't feel good. I felt like I had a precursor to being lightheaded all day. 

I harvested my second batch of kombucha tonight and it's amazing. It carbonated without a second fermentation. I also started a second continuous brew with the baby SCOBY. My SCOBY's are named Wanda and Shirley. They seem quite happy. 

Day 10

M1: egg salad with homemade mayo, mustard + cucumbers and tomatoes

M2: big ass salad with baby greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, chicken thighs, mango and blueberries + basil vinaigrette 

M3: grass-fed burger with grilled onion, sauerkraut, mustard + sweet potato with coconut butter

Day of cycle: 13
Wrist pain: mild, but some sharper pains
Dizziness: slight. it's just been this pervasive not well feeling all day, then after dinner I feel good.
Exercise: yoga and weightlfting 
Sleep: I slept horribly. I figured out something at work and feel really good about it, but for some reason I was dreaming about it all night and it seemed like I was waking up every 30 minutes and thinking about it when I was awake too. It seems like I dreamed/thought about it the entire night. I woke up at 5:30 and went to the bathroom then slept pretty well until 7:30.

Day 11

M1: 3 eggs fried in ghee with homemade turkey sausage and a cup of Rainier cherries

M2: 2 spicy italian sausages + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, cucumber, nectarine, blueberries, herb vinaigrette

M3: steak + sweet potato with coconut butter

Day of cycle: 14
Dizziness: slight
BM:  no
Exercise: nothing formal, but I was active
Sleep: 8:30 slept welll

Day 12

M1: Omelette with spinach, tomatoes, green chile + 3 bacon

M2: 2 hot dogs + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, nectarine, blueberries, olive oil, red wine vinegar

M3: spaghetti squash with beef tomato sauce

Day of cycle: 15

Dizziness: after the bike ride again

BM:  yes, late in the day

Exercise: 17 mile bike ride

Meditation: no, but I had a massage, which was super relaxing

Sleep: 8:30 good sleep

Day 13

M1: egg and salmon salad + bone broth soup with yellow squash and carrots

M2: 2 chicken thighs + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, blueberries, raspberries, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil

M3: pork chops and homemade coleslaw + kombucha

Day of cycle: 16
Back pain: mild. I think this diet in general and the bone broth in particular are helping me heal faster.
Sleep: 7:50

I dreamed that I was at a restaurant with a friend. We were sharing a plate of shrimp with tomato paste (weird) and he said, "You should try putting sugar on it." I grabbed the sugar, opened the lid, paused and said, "I'm not eating sugar now". Later, in the same dream I believe, I was with a different friend at a chocolate shop. She was buying a bunch of stuff and I was just looking around and thinking, "I used to eat this stuff. In the past I would have loved to come here and buy a bunch of chocolate and then eat too much of it. I'm glad I don't do that anymore." It simply held no allure. 

Day 14

M1: egg salad  + banana and strawberries

M2: 2 chicken thighs + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, blueberries, raspberries, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil

M3: cod + brussel sprouts and carrots

Day of cycle: 17
Exercise: stretching
Sleep: 7:30 i'm not happy with my sleep quality. I wake up several times in the night and even though I get back to sleep, it's light sleep. 

Day 15

M1: Bone Broth soup with leftover cod, 2 eggs, carrots and squash

planned M2: 2 chicken thighs + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, blueberries, raspberries, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil

planned M3: steak and 1/2 potato + a little kombucha

Day of cycle: 18
Back pain:  mild to medium. a few sharper twinges of pain. 
Wrist pain:  mild 
BM:  no
Sleep: 7:30 maybe cutting caffeine will help my sleep quality

I decided to quit drinking coffee and tea for the next couple weeks. I feel like my weight loss is stalled (although I haven't stepped on the scale) and it could also help with the dizziness. 

Day 16

M1: 3 eggs + 1/2 potato, broccoli and onions

M2: tuna salad + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, blueberries, raspberries, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil

M3: chicken stir fry + cherries

Day of cycle: 19
Back pain: medium. it's feeling kinda wonky. 
Sleep:

Day 17

M1: 3 scrambled eggs + 2 bacon + broccoli and onions

M2: chicken breast + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, blueberries, raspberries, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil

M3: Lamb chops with roasted brussel sprouts and carrots + cherries

Day of cycle: 20

Back pain: medium. and my hips hurt too.

Sleep: 8 hours. 

Allergies are quite active today. 

My boyfriend left for a week long trip this morning. It's the first time we've been apart since I moved in with him, so it's going to be weird. I will, however, be eating foods that he doesn't like.  Lots of lamb and oily fish this week.  :)

Day 18

M1: omelette with bacon and avocado + 1/2 plantain fried in coconut oil 

M2: 2 chicken thighs + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut butter + strawberries

M3: Salmon with some other veg that I can't remember + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut butter 

Day of cycle: 21

Back pain: medium. and my hips hurt too. Woke up in quite a bit of pain, but it got better after yoga.

Dizziness: dizzy during yoga and for several hours after

Exercise:  yoga

Sleep: 8 hours

I didn't wake up at all during the night, which is unusual. I hope it's not because my bf is out of town.  :unsure:

Day 19

M1: salmon salad with mayo-based dressing + 1/2 plantain fried in coconut oil 

M2: 2 chicken thighs + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, creamy dressing + strawberries and banana

snack: mango

M3: Halibut with zucchini and carrots + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut butter + nectarine

Day of cycle: 22

Back pain: mild to medium. it's getting better

Dizziness: slight

Sleep: 8 hours 

I slept like a rock again. I'm not sure I moved at all during the night. Is that possible? I had weird apocalyptic dreams.  

Day 20

M1: halibut with zucchini and carrots + 2 eggs

planned M2: 2 chicken thighs + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, red pepper, tomato, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil 

planned M3: chicken legs with roasted broccoli

Day of cycle: 23

Back pain: mild to medium. my hips hurt mildly too.

Wrist pain:  mild, but it's a little wonky in addition to being a little painful

Dizziness: slight after workout

Exercise: stationary bike + yoga

Sleep: 7:20

Day 21

M1: 2 eggs with chicken leg and zoodles

M2: tuna salad + salad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, red pepper, tomatoes, strawberries, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil 

M3: burger with mayo, mustard, avocado, sauerkraut and heirloom tomatoes + cherries

Day of cycle: 24

Wrist pain: mild but it's also wonky

Dizziness: yes

Sleep: 7:40 woke up early and was in and out until i got up. 

I was hungry about an hour before it's reasonable to start thinking about lunch. About 15 minutes before I decided to eat I started getting lightheaded. This is the first time I've felt like the lightheadedness was connected to hunger, but then I ate my enormous lunch and I feel even more lightheaded. This is getting really annoying. 

Day 22

M1: 2 eggs with small burger and broccoli

M2: chicken thighssalad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, nectarine, avocado, herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil 

M3: pork chop and brussel sprouts + cherries

Day of cycle: 25

Back pain: mild to medium

Wrist pain: mild, but still wonky

Headache: slight at times

Dizziness: slight to medium all day long

Exercise: no. I didn't go to the gym or do yoga because of the dizziness

Sleep: 7:40. woke at 4:30 and was in and out until 6.

Day 23

M1: 3 eggs + broccoli + 1/2 avocado + banana

M2: chicken thighssalad with spring greens, spinach, kale, cabbage, nectarine,  herb vinaigrette + 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil 

M3: zoodles with shrimp and pine nuts 

Day of cycle: 26

Headache: slight - off and on while dizzy

Dizziness: started at 9:30

Sleep: 

Archived