Beginning re-intro May 27th

Gina S.

Hi :) I finished my W30 yesterday. I feel amazing - I'll save my success story for that particular part of the forum.

I'm looking to start a thread here for anyone who may be starting re-intro this week. Let's discuss our experiences here.

I'm starting with dairy today. Once creamer in my coffee, yogurt with lunch, and a small serving of vanilla ice cream immediately after dinner. I found that Haagan Daaz (sp?) has the least amount of junk in the ingredients.

In a few days I'll try gluten free grains.

I feel so energized about this portion of my journey!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay for your reintro! Mmmmm Haagen Daaz - Yum!

True! But, I will be paying particular attention to how it makes me feel emotionally as much as physically. I WILL NOT be eating ice cream nearly every night like I was doing before this experience. But I would like to enjoy it from time to time without issues.

Ha! Yes... I am not in control enough for that yet. Plus, I was having dairy issues before W30. I've missed it, but not needed it, so I think I won't reintro it at this time.

Do report back on how it makes you feel. Riding your own bike-- a little nerve-wracking, a lot fun.

OK ladies, found you both here so this is where I will continue to follow your progress and keep you posted on mine. There is one question I do have about reintroduction that you may or might not know the answer too. If you reintroduce something only for one day, is that really enough time to tell if your body is sensitive to it? I ask because just like Gina said about the icecream, there are certain foods that I would like to eat once in awhile (for example, a frozen yogurt with fresh fruit on top), but I would not eat it more then once every few weeks in the summer. 

Great questions, Susabella - in the reintro material, the program acknowledges that. But the 1-day reintro process is the first step. How do you feel after one day (or one time)? If it's something you want to eat often, how do you feel after three days straight? A week? A month? The program recommends that any time you have a question, to go back to a W30 reset, even if for a few days or a week, to "clean things up" and get a fresh baseline.

It's really up to you, and how long and how precise you want your reintroduction process to be. What you might end up learning is that (for example) coffee isn't a problem, but coffee + dairy creamer makes you feel awful after a few weeks. Then add gluten grains into that mix, and there's really a difference. You can then do a week of clean eating, then trial each one separately if needed and then together.

Does that help at all?

I want to preface this report by saying I FEEL GREAT. Tiger Blood came back at Day 28. I am still super tired a lot of the time, but I'm going to just chalk that up to my body working SO hard & increased activity and workouts. My entire attitude and outlook on life seems to have changed, I'm 100% cheerier and sweeter ;-)

The general malaise I felt all of the time is completely gone. I may still be tired and want more sleep, but I don't feel *bad*. I don't feel the carb hangovers I used to get almost every day. I am not eating eat to dull feelings. I feel like I can choose my food rather than being compelled by whatever is in the cabinets. I can smell and see foods and treats I love, and not eat them, and acknowledge that I miss them but not feel cheated or deprived.

I still have a long way to go, especially in making all of these things habits rather than efforts, and I am pretty sure my overall hormones are still working hard to reset. So I'm going to just try a few things on my re-intro to give me some additional starchy veg-type options, and then keep going. For me at this point, that means: Kernel corn, lima beans, garbanzo beans. And honey as a minor sweetener for sausage and bacon so I don't have to fret too hard if I can't find compliant.

And I definitely had some physical benefits from my 30 days. I don't expect anyone else to report their changes unless they want to!

OK, here goes:

Down 12 lbs

-1.75 inches in chest

-2.5 inches on waist

-1.25 inches each on top of thigh

Some other measurements didn't move as much or at all, but these... were HUGE!! WOOOOO!

Thank you W30, I am looking at a whole new way of living from now on!!

And thank you Gina, Susabella, and crew. You are such a huge support and inspiration.

Espie

WHOA!

Thanks Espie - Yes it helps and I know this (at least for me) is the harder part because I do so much better when there are clear cut rules to follow. I think what will become most important for me is to really listen to what my body is telling me, and when I do start to reintroduce, I will probably do my best to try one food at a time. I really believe the thing that was really hurting me the most is removed and will be forever removed from my diet and that is processed food!!!

I really believe the thing that was really hurting me the most is removed and will be forever removed from my diet and that is processed food!!!

Yay! I'm so glad you learned this about yourself. It's a powerful feeling, isn't it?  <3

Espie - thanks for sharing and wow great job!! You have put many of my same feelings into words.

Since I started on April 28th tomorrow will be weigh in day (after I complete day 30) Darn I wish I took measurements - forgot to do that :( 

I'm glad I found this group! My day 30 was yesterday and so today begins the reintroductions. I've already decided I'm going with the slow-roll approach - there hasn't been many foods I've missed during the w30, and I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't have any cravings to speak of.  I don't have a sugar dragon, but give me something loaded with fat, salt and crunch and that quickly becomes food-with-no-breaks! 

The one thing I'm going to reintroduce today is wine - I'll be having a glass or 2 after dinner tonight, if it sounds good.  I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and I know I'll most likely want to drink there too, so I thought I should find out the effects before hand. I already know it causes me to sleep poorly, and is a bit of a depressant so I'm going to try harder than I have in the past to limit consumption. I'm already looking at wine-saver devices so I won't be compelled to hurry up and finish that open bottle before it turns.

I didn't do an official start weight, but did get on that evil scale this morning and am content with where I am right now. I figure I lost about 8-10 lbs. More importantly my clothes fit much better again! 

I can't wait to see what my own experiences are as I do bring some things back, but I, too, do much better with clear cut rules. Now I just need to not fall off the wagon while I go through the process of making those rules that will do best by me. 

Hi JenX! Congrats on completing your W30! Looking forward to hearing more about your reintro process.

Today: Hummus. Had about 3T with veggies at lunch. We'll see how it goes!

Ugh. So I had my healthy w30 dinner last night, cleaned up the kitchen and did the dishes, then popped the wine. It smelled and tasted good, but not great like it has in the past (and this is one I've had before and loved). I made a solid effort to really nurse that glass and it lasted an entire hour. After some water and a bit of internal debate I decided to have a second glass. This one tasted less good and I should have poured it back and stopped but I finished it. I slept poorly, woke up tired, cranky and with a slight headache. I also had a super dry mouth and a bad taste in my mouth. That's all bad enough, but I also realized I had next to no energy when I went out for my run this morning. I cut it short - very short! To think, before Whole30 I woke up like this almost every morning and thought it was okay...

I'll still have a glass to toast the bride and groom on Saturday, but I believe I'll keep it to just the one in hopes I won't feel this off come Sunday morning. Wine needs to go on the special occasions list - I can see that now. Anyway, back to clean meals with no off-roading until Saturday.

How did everyone else do?

Hi JenX - so happy to have you here to share re-intro with. I bet if you stick just to one glass Saturday you'll be fine :)

I forgot to share my results with you. (BTW - great news about your results, guys!)
I never did take measurements or take pictures. Oh well. But I did lose 8 pounds. I know I lost inches also based on how my clothes fit. I am a full dress size smaller.

My dairy reintro did not go so well yesterday.
1) one creamer in my morning coffee - no issues

2) vanilla yogurt with lunch - bloating and gas about 3.5 hours later (lasted for a couple hours)

3) small serving of vanilla ice cream after dinner -  no immediate issues but after I arrived to work this morning I ended up having - ahem - bathroom issues.

I did not sleep as soundly last night and I woke up in a bad mood this morning.

Yogurt never used to bother me. Once in a while ice cream would cause a rumble or loose bowel movement. So... of course I'll be holding off on dairy for a while. I am tracking all my re-intros on a food log with notes. I will try dairy again (later) and will make note if the same things happen.

Today and tomorrow - W30 eating only.

Saturday I'm trying gluten free grains.

I am going very slowly, did corn (tortillas) and will do rice tomorrow.  Not expecting any issues but would like to know if any particular thing causes problems.  I know sugar should stay off the list, but I refuse to go without a bit of chocolate, so I found a great organic dark chocolate made with no soy, no dairy, etc.  It would be Whole30 except for the sugar!  I had one small square yesterday and one today, and it's just enough to make me happy.  Don't feel the need to eat the whole bar at once, but really glad to taste that taste again.  

One question for when I re-introduce dairy -- is there a difference in how different products (milk, butter, ice cream, yogurt) affect the body?  Is it worth trying to re-introduce them separately, say one per day?

• Administrators

One question for when I re-introduce dairy -- is there a difference in how different products (milk, butter, ice cream, yogurt) affect the body?  Is it worth trying to re-introduce them separately, say one per day?

It can definitely be worth testing dairy in different stages.  Whey vs casein, ice cream vs yogurt.  Depends on just how drilled in you want to get.  I never used to have a problem with a whey protein powder but give me ice cream (with casein in it) and I would be itchy for DAYS.

Hello all! I love the stories.  Yesterday at lunch I had about 2-3T hummus with my raw veggies. Felt fine, but last night and this morning: gassy! Heh. Other than that, no apparent issues.

Thinking about trying organic kernel corn tomorrow....

Oh my gosh, Ladyshanny - I was so itchy last night [24 hours after having dairy] (as I was often before my W30) and I then I remembered reading you get itchy after dairy. Hmmm... I will need to pay close attention to this!

I never used to have a problem with a whey protein powder but give me ice cream (with casein in it) and I would be itchy for DAYS.

Oh my gosh, Ladyshanny - I was so itchy last night [24 hours after having dairy] (as I was often before my W30) and I then I remembered reading you get itchy after dairy. Hmmm... I will need to pay close attention to this!

TGIF! Hello Ladies, had no time to check in yesterday, just catching up and thank you all for sharing - I think it helps so much to hear what others are going through. I promised to share my results...... lost 10 lbs during my whole 30 and was pleasantly surprised since I had lost 20 in the month prior (eating clean). I didn't really have any health issues to speak of, except Plantar Fasciitis, which has only improved slightly, but I most definitely feel so much better overall, mood is better, and I have a more pep in my step. So... this is what I figured out,... 

When I started eating clean (before I discovered whole 30) I did not cut out dairy, stevia, whey, soy, or whole grains. Then I stumbled on whole 30 and cut all of those out.... Did I notice a big difference? Honestly, I don't think so. I've said it before but the real problem for me was all the artificial crap I was putting in my body. But, now that I have taken those things out of my diet I do think it is worth reintroducing them slowly to see if maybe I am sensitive to them without even knowing it. So I decided next week I will start reintro - on a very slow roll. 

Have a great day All!!!!

TGIF! And sounds like everyone had great results and re-intros are going relatively well (except for itchies after dairy- so sad!). 

I retested the wine last night - the sirens song of an open bottle in my fridge was too hard to resist! Again, 2 glasses after dinner.  And again, some of the same side effects, but not as strongly as the morning before.   The food that day was all compliant and to template at least.   I'm not planning on reintroducing any foods, but at the wedding on Saturday I may decide something is worth it. If I don't get on the forum over the weekend I'll update you all on Monday.  Have a great weekend!

TGIF! Hello Ladies, had no time to check in yesterday, just catching up and thank you all for sharing - I think it helps so much to hear what others are going through. I promised to share my results...... lost 10 lbs during my whole 30 and was pleasantly surprised since I had lost 20 in the month prior (eating clean). I didn't really have any health issues to speak of, except Plantar Fasciitis, which has only improved slightly, but I most definitely feel so much better overall, mood is better, and I have a more pep in my step. So... this is what I figured out,... 

When I started eating clean (before I discovered whole 30) I did not cut out dairy, stevia, whey, soy, or whole grains. Then I stumbled on whole 30 and cut all of those out.... Did I notice a big difference? Honestly, I don't think so. I've said it before but the real problem for me was all the artificial crap I was putting in my body. But, now that I have taken those things out of my diet I do think it is worth reintroducing them slowly to see if maybe I am sensitive to them without even knowing it. So I decided next week I will start reintro - on a very slow roll. 

Have a great day All!!!!

Yay! Hooray for all your successes!

I'm not feeling too great. I decided not to introduce non-gluten grains today as I'd planned because I'm feeling icky. I have eaten clean the last 2 days with an exception. The day before I was 100% compliant but was still getting over stomach stuff from dairy the day before. Then yesterday I felt good and was still template only I decided to have pulled pork with BBQ sauce for dinner. Last night I had a headache and woke with it this morning. My stomach has also been off.

Today I am super cranky. Therefore I am not choosing anything non-w30 compliant right now and will wait until I get that good feeling back before next re-intro.

I'm majorly bummed.

Archived