Beginning re-intro May 27th

Gina S.

Well, after waiting for about 3 weeks for a Bloody Mary, I made my signature mix on Friday and settled in for a nice patio sunset.

Except-- It tasted awful. The virgin mix was fine, but the vodka... same bottle used as the drinks I used to love... couldn't stand it. Tried a few sips of red wine too. Same thing - actively disgusting. Tastebuds totally reset on alcohol, I guess. I was a little sad; I'm glad my body has cleaned up, but honestly, it's just nice to sit on the deck in the summer and have a cocktail. So, I'll be looking for new, virgin ways to make them for a while now.

Didn't really drink much at all, it tasted too bad. But that aside, no other side effects noticed as a result.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Espie, sorry that your "cocktail on the patio" wasn't what you hoped it would be, but wow, so interesting to me that it tasted so bad to you. A similar thing happened to me this morning. I had decided to reintroduce dairy at least in the form of milk for my coffee. For ever I drank my coffee with a little bit of skim milk in it. During whole 30 I started using a tsp. of coconut oil and whipping it with an immersion blender  - yum! Now I know this program isn't about weight loss, but I do want and need to continue to lose weight so I thought using the skim milk instead of coconut oil would be a good way to save calories.... but YUCK! I couldn't even get past a few sips of the coffee it tasted so bad that way. So, for now back to the coconut oil and will cut calories somewhere else. 

Still don't have any real desire to reintroduce anything so for now I guess I won't. 

Have a great day all!!

S

Interesting about milk for you - I don't think we're going to know *what's* going to taste good or bad!

Same here on reintro thoughts - a little whole-kernel corn & some hummus for me so far. Some honey when included in ketchup or bacon, so I don't have to go too crazy about compliant items. Other than that, staying the same.

I'm back! Gina, sorry to hear you're still suffering the effects of dairy. I think it's the right call to stay 100% compliant until you feel normal again. Espie, sorry about your cocktail. I know my first glass of wine tasted very boozy, but otherwise tasted fine. And Susabella, its just as well that milk tastes bad to you. Your body wants that healty fat, not that sugar-spike inducing lactose. :)

The wedding was gorgeous! due to travel and running around I didn't really eat lunch on Saturday. dinner at the reception was bacon wrapped scallops (yum!), fresh fruit, spinach salad w/ strawberries and crumbled goat cheese, rib-eye steak with mashed potatoes and asparagus. I ate everything since I decided I would not stress and that dairy would be my re-intro that day. I skipped the bread and the cupcakes and was generally very proud of myself.

4:30 am, I woke up with the worst headache I've had in years! I sometimes get these from red wines - probably the sulphites in them - but I was also sick to my stomach and ended up throwing up. It wasn't a hangover - I didn't have that much to drink. So, it was either the wine, something in/on the steak I didn't ask about, the dairy in the mashed potatoes and on the salad, or possibly food poisoning (!). Another friend got sick later in the day and we both had the fruit (me at night, her Sunday morning), so food poisoning is looking like a strong possibility. Needless to say I didn't eat much of anything yesterday, but what I did was 100% compliant. I plan on not reintroducing anything until this weekend, and only if I feel like I want something. Right now I'm happy as a clam to just eat my W30 food and not be sick!

Hi. So very interesting to hear about taste buds changing.

JenX, that dinner at the wedding sounded quite perfect for you at this stage. So very sorry to hear you fell ill though. At this moment I am a bit cynical about this reintro phase. For me it seems that nothing is agreeing with me. Makes me wonder if just a few non-compliant things in that meal (butter, sugar, something on steak) threw your system into a tailspin.

So I was going to go back to W30 eating this weekend after that BBQ fiasco but I didn't really. (BTW, Espie - it was bought at a restaurant so no telling what was in it).

I felt quite ill Saturday. Stomach cramps in my upper abdomen (not like the lower gassy feeling from dairy), and a general achiness. I honestly thought I was coming down with something. I didn't eat hardly at all then I think I got kind of overly hungry. I tried my compliant tuna salad (loved it during W30) but I couldn't get it down. Couldn't stomach my plain grilled chicken at dinner. (not nauseous though). All I could eat were apples.

Later that night after my daughter's dance recital we took her to Applebees. Most people ordered dessert and apps. I was starving and my cramps subsided. I decided to eat tortilla chips and salsa. The next day woke up with more stomach cramps. I ate some paleo pancakes (basically just eggs and banana) with a little bit of pure maple syrup on them. Then felt yucky all day. Then... wait for it... ate pizza for dinner. What the what?

So.... today back to clean eating.

Amazingly - the stomach cramps are gone. Not sure what caused them. They happened before the chips. Didn't occur after the pizza.

The dairy still? The BBQ sauce?

So confused and just want to get to my new normal NOW. I've learned so much that I'm ready to put into practice. I don't want to eat "W30" anymore.

Amazingly - the stomach cramps are gone. Not sure what caused them. They happened before the chips. Didn't occur after the pizza.

The dairy still? The BBQ sauce?

So confused and just want to get to my new normal NOW. I've learned so much that I'm ready to put into practice. I don't want to eat "W30" anymore.

Owning my "like" - not that I like what you're going through - at all - but that I love your honesty. I'm with you, I'm more than a little tired of pure compliant prep. The eating was good, but I'm tired of all the cooking and prep and having to be SO careful. Sounds like you had a pretty off-road weekend, and I hope a couple of days of back to compliant will help you feel better.

I can tell that, after just a few days, I am not ready to "ride my own bike" yet. I'm still eating 99% compliant foods, but snacking and not eating template simply because the W30 isn't the boss of me any longer. Result? Sugar & crunch cravings all over the place, and I fell face-first into a bag of potato chips, which resulted in allergy-like symptoms and turning into a short-tempered witch for half a day. *Sigh*

So, I'm back on W30 starting today. I obviously have a few more things to work out before my mind and body have locked into a healthier way of wanting to be.

hugs to you, Gina. And cheers to everyone for sticking with it and working on their reintros - whatever the results and next steps.

xo

Espie

Hello Ladies, thanks so much for sharing all of your experiences, sorry this isn't going that well for some of you. If you had told me a month ago that I wouldn't want to eat many of the foods I used to love I don't think I would have believed you. Having not really eaten anything off plan I decided to give my coffee a shot of skim milk again this morning. I guess it boils down to taste, it's not disagreeing with me, it's just that the coconut oil tastes so much better. So, for now I've decided if I don't have any added fat with breakfast, then I will put the coconut oil in my coffee. I also want to try some whey protein powder later today, I know during whole 30 drinking meals is a no no, but in my sometimes crazy, busy, hectic real life world some days I only have time to whip up a protein shake. I usually use Spinach, fruit, and water so there are no other non-compliant ingredients in there. If that keeps me out of the proverbial cookie jar then I think an occasional protein shake makes sense. Just hoping I don't react to the whey. 

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Hello Ladies, thanks so much for sharing all of your experiences, sorry this isn't going that well for some of you. If you had told me a month ago that I wouldn't want to eat many of the foods I used to love I don't think I would have believed you. Having not really eaten anything off plan I decided to give my coffee a shot of skim milk again this morning. I guess it boils down to taste, it's not disagreeing with me, it's just that the coconut oil tastes so much better. So, for now I've decided if I don't have any added fat with breakfast, then I will put the coconut oil in my coffee. I also want to try some whey protein powder later today, I know during whole 30 drinking meals is a no no, but in my sometimes crazy, busy, hectic real life world some days I only have time to whip up a protein shake. I usually use Spinach, fruit, and water so there are no other non-compliant ingredients in there. If that keeps me out of the proverbial cookie jar then I think an occasional protein shake makes sense. Just hoping I don't react to the whey. 

Hope everyone has a great day!!

This all sounds good! After all, it boils down to listening to your body, which you are obviously doing!

Let us know how it goes!

Hello Ladies, thanks so much for sharing all of your experiences, sorry this isn't going that well for some of you. If you had told me a month ago that I wouldn't want to eat many of the foods I used to love I don't think I would have believed you.

Susabella, I'm so with you on this!  I actually don't mind all the prep and cooking - I tend to make most of my meals at home so this isn't that much more than I was doing before. I do mind all the dishes and Tupperware, but there's no way around it! LOL!   I really do feel so much better eating this way I'm not having much luck coming up with other things to add in quite yet.  I'm sure this will boil down to a moment of true weakness and me making a horrendously bad choice containing not just one untested ingredient but ALL.OF.THEM.  still, I don't want to rush back in if I'm not ready. 

How's this for changing tastes... I made my vinaigrette yesterday morning, but since I could now, I used Dijon mustard instead of the compliant one I'd been using. I can't stand the way the vinaigrette tastes now.  I used to make it all the time with Dijon, but just tastes awful to me! Oh well, back to the yellow mustard and horseradish mustard instead I guess.

Espie, I think in part that's why I'm not wanting to expand my menu. I have a tendency to binge and I think if I get into too many simple carbs and sugars it will set that off. I really don't want to go back to that again.  Be patient with yourself.  

GinaS, how are you doing now? hang in there a little while longer and keep working on the reintroductions. Not every body is going to take to that schedule as outlined and I think if you rush it it will end up slowing you down in the long run because you wont  know what's causing what symptoms. 

I had a couple things yesterday - more wine (the end of the open bottle from Friday - that may be a record!) a very small hand full of trailmix (I pulled out the peanuts and raisins, but left in the M&Ms...mmmmm...) and I used noncompliant fish sauce in my Thai Curry yesterday. Of those, only the trailmix was impulse, and it was before bed, after the wine so I know exactly what happened there. The wine gave me the munchies and that was the only things sweet in the house. I won't be opening another bottle any time soon. I don't need that kind of temptation to fall back into old patterns.

Oh, and because of all that I slept poorly last night. I woke up often and did lots of tossing and turning. Analyze, Accept and Move On. My new motto!

I have come out on the other side. :)  I'm feeling good and so proud of my choices this week. I am not pursuing the fast reintro protocol that I intended; I guess it's more of a slow roll now. It just feels so good to ease up on the strictness and also watch me put into action (because I actually WANT to) all the new habits I formed. Some thing I noticed this week:

- My plate lacked veggies and I threw some carrots on it (would never have done that before)

- Actually wanted a side of fruit with my lunch instead of chips.

- Threw a sweet potato in with my packed lunch because I enjoy them. Whaaat? I didn't even used to pack a lunch!

This week after my stomach settled, etc., I was out for lunch with a group and I ordered a 1/2 panini and side salad (panini bread, turkey, bacon, tomato, swiss cheese, red pepper mayo). I read beforehand that swiss cheese only has a trace of lactose so I was willing to try it. I had no physical issues after. Although I was tired around 3:00pm. But I was ok with it because I checked the menu on-line before and made a healthier choice.

Tonight I'm having spaghetti squash with our sauce - still preferred over pasta at this point!

Gina - Analyze, Accept and Move On - I love it! I still haven't added any non-compliant food, mostly because there has been nothing I am really interested in trying. Was thinking about adding some cheese to my omelet, after your observation Gina I think I will try swiss  :)

So happy to hear things are going in the right direction for everyone!!

Have a great day!

I tried a gluten-free beer last night that I picked up at trader joe's. it was awful!  I drank less than half and dumped it down the sink.  Now I need a party to go to so I have somewhere to donate the other 5 bottles. :huh:

Gina - so glad you made it through and into a better spot! Love what you caught yourself doing in the new and improved habits arena!

I've been lurking on this thread, so figured I might as well say hello(!) and thanks so much for sharing your experiences.  My Day 30 was on Tuesday, so I'm at the beginning of re-intro and have been so much more nervous about it than I anticiapted, so I'm glad to find a group that is going through it together and sharing what they learn!   I had some wine last night, and due to the fact that I'd really like to lose some more weight (lost 6 lbs during my 30 days, and 1 inch off my waist, 1 inch off my hips and 1 inch off my bust) I was not planning to really reintroduce anything else for awhile, but I've learned from reading more about it here that re-intro is about something more.   I wasn't having any food issues that I know of before Whole 30, but then again-  maybe I don't know!  So maybe I will try to reintroduce a few other things and then go back to eating close to compliant if that's what I think might be more effective to get where I want to be.

Really grateful to have found this program and the support on these boards.   It seems like you're all doing really well- but more importantly- are being really self aware and honest with yourselves.   Continued good luck to all of you.

I'm so glad you posted, Beeskie! Congrats on finishing the W30. Such an amazing, accomplishing feeling, isn't it?!

Your plan sounds really good. I think it is important to start reintro even if super slow (my humble opinion). W30 is not meant to be forever and one of the main reasons to do something that extreme is to learn what foods affect you physically, etc. I think if you reintro things slowly, eat clean as a lifestyle, sleep abundantly, keep stress levels low, and stay hydrated (don't drink sugar) you will continue to lose weight.

These boards are awesome :) Stay in touch.

p.s. I added the "don't drink sugar" rule to my lifestyle today. (when I was craving an iced tea)

Hi Beeskie, another welcome here! Glad you wanted to post!

Gina - YAY! This is all such great news and I'm glad to hear it all.

I'm continuing slow roll. Still aiming for template eating. I tentatively tried wheat a couple of days ago because I just needed to *know*; a few hours later I felt crazy (like slightly maniacal), like I was trying to wade through a vat of goo, and huge numbers of joint aches that I'd thankfully forgotten came roaring back. With a vengeance. That's what surprised me the most, those aches, pains, and stiffness due to grains!! But what a good thing to know - and all of those things were exactly what I'd experienced before W30 and suspected of grains in general but especially wheat/gluten grains. Occasional use of organic frozen kernel corn (no added sugar - can you believe they add sugar to CORN?? small serving once a day, a couple of times now) so far seems to be OK.

Went to dinner at a mex. restaurant earlier this week, had about 5 chips + a gorgeous salad with no dairy, didn't eat the deep fried shell. Progress on number of chips consumed and shell not touched: a first for me. And I was *glad* afterward. Felt full & happy, not deprived, and didn't feel like junk for the rest of the night. Hooray!

This whole process is fascinating. Keep posting, ladies, I'm learning tons from y'all!!

-Espie

Welcome Beeskie!

Espie - good for you! There's no way I could stop at 5 chips. I find that amazing!  I am very much not a moderator - I'm all about all or nothing. :D And isn't it interesting how our bodies over-react to certain things?  who would think achy joints, pains and stiffness would be due to having some wheat?

so, a week from Sunday I have a brunch to go to with friends. I'm going to make zucchini fritters and serve them with smoked salmon and some lemon/dill mayo.  One of the other girls is making a potato-crust veggie quiche, so my goal between now and then is to test dairy so I know if I can have some or not. I'll wait until either tomorrow or Saturday, just in case it was the dairy at the wedding that killed me. That way I'll have the weekend to recuperate. Hmm, maybe tomorrow would be best.  I figure I can get a whole milk latte, and add some cottage cheese & cheese to my lunchtime salad. Think that's enough for a solid test? I don't want to have to buy dairy to bring into the house. I live alone so if it turns out I can't handle it I'll be stuck with leftovers and knowing me I'll eat them even if they do make me sick.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, ladies! So glad to be learning from all of you.

Espie, I feel like a Mexican restaurant would be my biggest challenge! One chip would feel like heaven and I don't know where it would go from there. The smell alone would be tempting! Great resolve on your part.

I am going to try dairy (probably only at dinner) tomorrow. Going to make lamb burgers and a Greek salad and get some feta cheese involved. Besides wine, cheese is really the only thing I miss! Hoping it goes well for you too JenX!

TGIF!!  Welcome Beeskie so happy you found our little thread and thanks for sharing your experiences. Looking forward to hearing more!

Espie - 5 chips - really - that's fantastic!! Sounds like you are in a really good place!!

Jen, I finally dove into the water and tried Dairy this morning. Although it was a very small amount, I added some shredded swiss cheese to my scrambled eggs. So far so good. I never did eat a lot of dairy, and as far as I know I had no sensitivity to it- but we will see. Please share your experience with Dairy!!

Gina - You swore off sugary drinks, as did I (used to have at least one diet coke everyday). Never thought I could go without it but now I really don't miss it. Wondering if you use stevia, I thought about brewing some peach tea, which ironically I can drink hot without sweetener, but would need to add a stevia to drink cold. On most "Whole food" diets, stevia (if pure) is allowed, so after I reintro dairy, I may see if Stevia gives me an issues. 

One great thing I gained from whole 30 was not being a slave to my scale. I honestly couldn't walk past it without weighing myself which usually ended bad. Made a decision to weigh in once a week - and happy to report I am down 2 more pds. 

Have a fantastic day All!! 

Beeskie, I am pretty sure I read that feta is one of the cheese's with a high lactose content so that's a good one to test dairy with.

Espie, I can't believe you had the reaction to wheat! I mean, I believe you  ;) but holy cow isn't it something? I feel bad but at least you can watch out for that now.

Susabella, I have never had Stevia. I banned artificial sweeteners from my diet two years ago. I have a serious aversion to them and the whole idea of fake foods in general (ex: always use real butter over margarine). With that said, I have heard Stevia is natural and perhaps should not be classified as artificial. I think I've been a little snobby about it. Admittedly, I have never done the research. And, I sure didn't mind drinking sugary (white sugar) iced tea every day! As if...

So, with this new declaration maybe it's time for me to look into it. Thanks for the idea.

2 of my Yogi teas have stevia in them so I put them away for the Whole 30, but had a cup of the Bedtime one night before last with no ill effects.  Stevia is a plant (you can buy it at home depot - it's over with the herbs) but the way they process it is what you have to look out for. Liquid is much closer to its natural form than the packets processed to give it a sugar-like texture, like Truvia.   Anyway, I had no bad effects, and it's in the tea in such a small amount that's not surprising. And I love the Bedtime tea - it has valerian root in it which puts me OUT.

I haven't yet talked myself into getting that latte - I actually really enjoy black coffee. I thought about using those little containers of International Delight Half & Half instead, but it has carrageenan in it! :o  I never new that!  Oh well.  Cheese and cottage cheese at lunch if the salad bar has it is still the plan for lunch. Maybe I'll get a decaf latte later this afternoon.

Susabella- Congrats on the 2lbs!!   I realized yesterday that I was falling back into the habit of weighing myself every morning, so I took the scale back out of the bathroom. Out of sight, out of mind. 

Happy dance for this morning.... Target carries LaCroix!  The have literally every flavor there in cans!  I bought grapefruit, lime and raspberry/cranberry flavor. Extra of the grapefruit since that one is my fav.

One great thing I gained from whole 30 was not being a slave to my scale. I honestly couldn't walk past it without weighing myself which usually ended bad. Made a decision to weigh in once a week - and happy to report I am down 2 more pds. 

Congrats on this Susabella! As insane as it seems to me, this out of everything seems to be the most ingrained thing in my head. I cannot let go of that scale. Even though I KNOW that it doesn't matter what it says if I'm feeling better and feel like my body is changing, I STILL want to step on it and see where I'm at. I had to fight the uge every-single-day during my Whole 30. And when I finally weighed myself on Day 31, I said to myself- fine. and I won't weigh myself for another week to see how it goes with re-intro.

hahahahahahahaha. oh, me and my adorable plans. yeah, right. i've weighed myself several times since then. went up a pound and really had to talk myself out of a funk about it. One day!

Definitely felt some anxiety creep back up on me today. Wondering if (and assuming.....and trying not to admit that...) it's the wine. Let's all just pretend for a little longer that it's not. Ok? Ok. Thanks. So glad we had this talk.

But seriously- I will keep an eye on that.

Other thing that slapped me in the face today was when my husband called in with our monthly budget check in. Great news- booze and wine was at a serious low. Less great news- we had more than DOUBLED our grocery bill. Yikes! Anyone have any advice on eating clean/eating Whole 30 and making the most of your $$$? It is definitely not an option to be spending this much a month on gorceries. Part of me is chalking it up to all the pantry things that you don't have to buy all the time that I had to replace (like non-compliant vinegars, new fish sauce, mustard, pickles, etc.) but also I'm sure it's buying the nicer produce and meats as well. Obviously my health is important, but also- I can't be doubling our grocery bill every month. How are all of you dealing with this? Did you notice a difference in what you have been spending on food?

It's 5pm on Friday where I'm at. That means WEEKEND! Hope you're all feeling great today. Thanks again for letting me crash this friendly group!

Archived