Beginning re-intro May 27th

Gina S.

My grocery budget went up some, maybe 20%? But the money I was spending grabbing quick bites out, meeting the girls for happy hour, etc dropped to zero so it all balanced out. Plus the $$ spent on wine & beer for the house - poof! gone.  Still, to start cutting it back, check out this thread: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21528-affording-whole30whole9-lifestyle-on-a-budget/ There were tons of helpful hints in there.

I hear you on the wine.  It in itself isn't causing me anxiety, but I have worries I'll slip back into old habits if I let my guard down (old habits being 1/2 a bottle/night minimum + nighttime snacking because of it). I put some new rules in place in hopes it helps. First - I won't open anything unless it is truly worth it. Not because I'm bored, not because its Friday, not because I made it through the stressful workday and not because "I deserve it".   #2, no drinking before dinner is cooked and plated, and the kitchen is cleaned up. I don't tend to do more than a sip with dinner, mostly I finish the glass after I finish eating, but if I open and start in on that wine while I'm still cooking, all bets are off.  #3, truly savor one glass, then have water and/or tea and truly think on if I want a second. For now the rule is also NO MORE than 2 glasses. period. any more than that and I loose all inhibition and good judgment and will find whatever I can in the house to eat, even though I'm not hungry.  So far, in the almost 2 weeks since the end of my 30, I've had one bottle of white and one bottle of red, and I'm now on a break from it until I have a good reason to indulge. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Saturday, 

To comment on the grocery bill, I definitely agree that eating whole foods is more expensive. For me though if I'm being honest I have 3 children, the 17 y.o treats his body like a temple and swore off junk food 2 yrs ago and has been asking us to buy him organic more healthy alternatives. I wish I jumped on his ship but honestly, I thought it was a phase he was going through and I guess I just wasn't ready. So, I've already been purchasing some "whole foods" for one, but now I don't buy the less healthy alternative for the rest of us. And even though my 13yo and 15 yo are not ready to swear off junk food I find myself making healthier choices and limiting their intake  Fast food on the way home from school activities used to happen up to two times a week and that has stopped so there is some savings there. Thanks for sharing the thread Jen X. 

Didn't notice any obvious effects from the dairy yesterday. The whey protein shake didn't taste nearly as good as the healthy lunches I have been eating and in my quest to eat real food I think it will only be used in a food emergency. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, my plan - eat whole 30 for today and tomorrow and maybe try grains (no gluten yet) on Monday. 

I, too, had no ill effects from my foray into dairy yesterday. A touch of gas but that's it. still, I doubt I'll add fairy in routinely. Maybe if I'm out, or in an occasional recipe.

I got some great deals today out shopping! My pastured eggs were on sale for $3.79, and I got some organic ground pork and cage free ground turkey on a special price so loaded up on those items.

I'll be cooking today. Just put up some sauerkraut (my first attempt at making, wish me luck). I'll also roast some veg, a chicken, make breakfast sausage with that pork, and out a pork roast in the slow cooker for Kahlua pig. But first I need to make some lunch!

Have a good weekend everyone.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Dairy was a no issue add for me as well. Yay! But also- I know that cheese can be a slippery slope so I plan to use it very sparingly, more as a condiment than an actual item to eat. I've also had a couple of cocktails this weekend with my husband. It's been fun and had made me feel less restricted, so that's been nice but I definitely don't see myself getting back into the nightly wine or cocktail habit that I was in before Whole 30. I found a potato based vodka, so at this point- I've really only reintroduced dairy. We are going out of town to Chicago this upcoming weekend for an 80th birthday party for my stepfather. Going to do my best to stick to guidlelines but we shall see.

The BEST news of my weekend was we finally caved and bought an extra chest freezer to put in our basement. This means I can take advantage of SO many more deals and sales when I see them on meat, fish, etc! After seeing our grocery bill skyrocket, this seemed like a good investment all around.

Trying to add situps and some other exercises to my daily list. I am having knee surgery on July 1st. Anything majorly cardio like running is kind of out until then, since I can't really use my right knee. As much as I'm dreading it, I'm so looking forward to getting my life back as far as being able to get out and at least take a long walk with my boys. It's been almost a year now!

Hope you all are having a great end to the first weekend after Whole 30. Sometimes I kind of miss being in the middle of it. I know that might sound weird, but it just coccupied so much less brainspace for me when I knew that I had strict rules to live by. I have really tried to keep myself in check about how I'm doing emotionally. I think what I've come to accept is that this is a life journey. Not a quick fix. So we try some things and stumble maybe but all is not lost. I know what to eat to be healthy. I just have to do it.

Beeskie, good luck on your knee surgery! I've been under the knife for that particular problem and it was so worth it. You'll be back to fighting fit in no time.  And congratulations on the freezer, too. That should really help even out your grocery bill. 

Honesty time.  I went out for a run yesterday and rolled my ankle so bad the whole outer part of my foot is swollen and painful.  It was an hour long mile and a half limp back to the car, and then  I spent the rest of the day with it elevated, wrapped, icing off and on, and having an old fashioned pity party. Running is what keeps me sane and the knowledge that because of one lousy mis-step I won't be running for anywhere from 2-6 weeks really got to me. Over the course of the day I demolished an entire bottle of white wine. I also had air-popped popcorn with ghee so I guess I've now tested non-gluten grains.   I won't make excuses, I made the choice to drown my pain and feelings of discouragement with that bottle.  The good news is the popcorn had no ill effects (and tasted amazing!), and (2) the rest of my meals were compliant - I didn't break down and order the pizza I wanted. 

I'm in a much better headspace today, and back at work with my foot propped up on my desk.  I have an appointment with the podiatrist at noon today to see how much damage I did. I don't have any plans to have any non-compliant things this week. I figure I need to keep my energy and my mood up and eating right is the best way to do that. Especially if I have to give up my exercise for a while.

OH no Jen - so sorry to hear about your ankle. Love that you owned up to your choices, and it sounds to me like you really got things back under control quickly! Wishing you a speedy recovery (but please stay off it till it heals so you don't do any further damage  :)

Beeksie - Sorry to hear you need Knee surgery but I agree with Jen you are going to be up and running and feeling great in no time. I'm no longer actively working (3 kids took care of that), but I am an orthopedic nurse and not sure what type of surgery you are having, but I have seen many successful knee surgeries.  

I completely get that you liked being in the middle of whole 30 because it occupied your mind and you knew EXACTLY what to do. I was going to try non gluten grains this morning, like a bowl of oatmeal, but had some car issues and needed to get it in the shop by 8 and never made the oatmeal. So maybe tomorrow. 

Have a great day all!

Oh no, Jen! (Not about the wine. No no no. Do not go beating yourself up about that. Onward and upward. Sometimes you need to whine and wine about something crummy. Alas...its behind you!) But I am really sorry to hear about your foot and hope you get a quicker diagnosis than 6-8 weeks! Don't push yourself. Maybe try a challenge that doesn't involve your feet? Like these push up/sit up/plank challenges that are all the rage these days. ;). I have felt better since adding SOMEthing to my routine.

Susabella- I'm glad to hear you have good feelings about knee surgery. I'm having the "synovial lining" removed from the back of my right knee cap. I have had constant swelling for almost a year now. Had the fluid taken off and given a cortisone shot twice in hopes that it wouldn't come back. Nope. Kept coming back. So now they have to go in and take that out, assuming that's the problem and look around in case it's something else. I've never had to be put under for anything, so i will admit that part scares me but as my husband has said- I have had two c-sections! So I assume recovery can't be worse than that. My doc said to plan on 2 weeks of needing help with my two toddler boys. All of this makes me feel like "no no no no no. I don't waaaannnna". But I also need to get back to normal! Here ends my boring novel about my knee. Keep us posted on the oatmeal! I'm not brave enough to venture out that far yet.

ANYWAY - hope you guys are having a good start to the week! I am definitely eating totally compliment today. I feel like my weekend got away from me a bit and I'm dragging today.

Thanks Susabella - Just got back and I'm sad to report I broke my 5th metatarsal. I'm in a soft cast and a boot and he said AT BEST 6-8 weeks recovery, more likely 8-12 weeks.  All from being a klutz.  Okay, so I need to find non-cardio ways to keep myself up. At my age my fitness can disappear overnight if I'm not doing something.  If I have to I'll go to my exercise classes and sit in a chair but do all the weight work I can.  And I can kiss my August 15h half marathon goodbye. Even if I'm fit to run by then, I won't have enough training to risk it. Maybe I can switch my registration to a 5k and walk it. I'll look into it.

Beeskie, I hadn't been put under before my knee surgery either and was TERRIFIED about it. Just know everything will be fine and to get full mobility back is truly an amazing feeling (until it's rudely taken away by being a klutz! LOL!)

No guarantees I won't opt for more liquid pain killer tonight but will keep it within reason.

JenX - So sorry to hear about your foot! I broke my 5th metatarsal a few years ago and man was it ever painful. Sending you speedy recovery thoughts!

I've found that I haven't really reset my eating habits and cravings, and trying to be moderate hasn't been working well for me; too many desires for potato chips and sweet baked things. Therefore, I went back to a strict W30 over the weekend and may have to extend it this time until I really get my brain and body re-wired.... 30 days wasn't enough, even with a slowish reintro and only bringing back a few things. What seems to be particularly important right now are: 1) making sure I eat a Template-style breakfast, and 2) locking down on the no snacking rule.

Hello Girls, 

Just checking in not much going on here. Woke up to a very humid sticky day and just wasn't in the mood for oatmeal, so haven't tried any new foods today. I found myself a bit bored yesterday (not hungry, bored) which almost caused me to do some picking, I did grab a nectarine, drank some green tea and folded some laundry. I know that sounds so simple, but for me it was a hugh victory. My point in sharing this is that Espie, the fact that you recognize that your eating habits and cravings are not reset, and that you have returned to Whole 30 is a win in my book too!!

Beeksie, I've had 3 c-sections, and never Knee surgery, but watching patients recoup. I would have to say the c-section is worse. The biggest issue with the knee patient is slowing them down :)

Jen, hang in there - not sure if this is feasible for you, but if you are allowed to remove your boot and cast for short periods swimming might be a good choice for you. Think of how good your upper body is going to look in 6-8 weeks. 

Have a great day Everyone! 

Hi All :) Sorry I haven't been posting.

JenX - so very sorry to hear about your foot.

Espie - I respect your decision to go back to W30 eating for a while. I guess it's very common for it to take beyond 30 to reset habits and cravings. You know yourself so well and that will carry you through this phase.

I've been doing pretty well overall. I'm really proud of my choices, especially since I've battled some cravings myself. It's funny - when I look at my meals and habits over the past week they are VASTLY better than before my W30. Yet, I am feeling some guilt over eating things like cereal in the morning along with my eggs, veggies, and avocado. Now, I am not really upset with that choice. It's not "bad" cereal. And I put banana in it. But...cereal is so frowned upon in paleo, W30 worlds. I am always reminding myself that this MY journey and I am meeting my post w30 goals and that is what matters!

I have been having less than ideal gastric/gut issues. So - I've decided to cut out dairy 100% for now. I'm curious to see how I feel with grains in my diet but no dairy. (I have not added legumes back in either). Here's to almond milk in my cereal! :D

Morning all.  My pity party continues... I went to the store Monday night after work and bought babybell cheeses, ice cream (no artificial ingredients) and gluten free cheese pizza from trader joe's. The pizza was not satisfying at all so that won't happen again. The cheese is delicious but I find after one wheel I'm happy - used to be I'd eat the whole bag of 6 in one day so that's a nice change.  The ice cream made it 2 days as well which is a rare thing in my presence.  And I only ate it after my healthy w30 dinner. That much dairy in one day did cause some GI issues the next morning so I know now there needs to be limits. Then again that may have been from the gluten free crust on the pizza I guess. The problem with doubling up!

I stayed home from work yesterday and while out at the store for pain relievers, I picked up a bag of tortilla chips.  I will say I made sure to eat my lunch first, and no snacking on them between meals and that meant I had a handful and was a happy camper.  I know I eat my feelings, I always have, but it was so nice to have these possible binge-inducing foods in the house and yet never feel out of control.  The danger isn't past since there are more chips and cheese in the house but that's okay. I'm starting to think the chips may actually come in to work tomorrow - I may be done with them.  No bad effect from them either, except I'm a bit bloated today. Then again I'm just working into PMS so it could be related to that as well.

Espie - I completely understand wanting to work through these issues. I obviously have more work to do myself. Good for you for getting back on!

Susabella - yes, when I go back in for a recheck next week, I'll ask about swimming. I can use a leg float if he doesn't want me to kick. I haven't been in the pool in about a year so I've been thinking about it anyway.

Gina - keep us posted on the grains vs dairy. And dump that guilt!

Thanks for the encouraging words, Susabella!

Gina, I love love love your new profile picture. It's a great shot! IMO who cares if you're eating paleo/W30/oompa-loompa/whatever style, as long as you're feeling good and healthy and satisfied... that's what you came to learn and get to. XO keep going & refining the Gina Plan. :D

JenX, sorry you're having the GI issues. I hate that! Dairy is no good for me either, makes me feel IBS-like & always scouting out the nearest bathroom. I hated feeling like that!! So happy for your chips management. Nice work!!

Just found out that one of the local supermarket's deli carries a roasted sweet potato/carrot/squash salad with only tarragon, olive oil, and S&P. YAY! One more starchy veg side dish to add to my rotation! also got some beef kabobs. Looking forward to dinner tonight!

Espie- seriously- CONGRATS to you for realizing your mind body connection needed more time on Whole 30. And also- congrats on finding that side dish that sounds delish!

Gina- it sounds like you're "riding your own bike" (is that the phrase? Something like that) off W30 like a pro! Realizing what works for you and what doesn't.

JenX- your pity party actually sounds very mindful and under control! It's not like you dropped off the map and started eating fast food for a week! You are acknowledging your slips here and there and managing how you want to deal with them!

Seriously- you all sound like you're in a fear head space post W30.

I have still not added anything back officially but alcohol and a few little additions of cheese. That said- today was the first day I found myself making my kids dinner and wanting to pick at it like I used to. Had a piece of salami that I'm sure is not approved so I have no idea what I added back in- nitrates? garbage? Yes. So glad I can now say I added "garbage" back in. Hahhahha.

Been trying to find new w30 approved recipes to try so it feels like I'm getting to eat new things.

Made this last night and LOVED it:

http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2010/11/thai-chicken-coconut-soup/

And making this tonight:

http://www.lindasyummies.com/thai-cucumber-and-shrimp-salad/

Subbed in just a little honey for the sugar. So I guess I'm adding that in too!

Nervous for our trip out of town. Staying in a hotel does not feel like a place that will be easy to have food options, but my mom's place will be near by and I can try and eat some compliant things there. Not that she knows I'm even on this plan....I digress.

Hope everyone is having a great night! It's always nice to hear what your experiences have been.

Thanks for the compliment, Espie. I was enjoying wearing my little black dress, post W30 and 8 pounds slimmer! That was taken at my daughter's dance recital on May 30.  I cut my family out of it. hahahaha. It is quite a lovely family picture actually.

I love the perspective you guys are giving me. It's so true! I will go back and read the "riding your own bike" stuff. Good reminder.

JenX - I echo Beeskie. Doesn't t sound at all like a "pity party" to me. It sounded pretty darn in control!

Just 24 hours off dairy and already the major bloat is gone.

Beeskie - what a great slow roll you have going on

Aarg! I am so sick of this boot!  Everything is taking 3x as long and 5x the effort that it should take!  Okay, I feel better now.  :)  Seriously my biggest issue is I'm not sleeping well because of it and being this tired I'm worried my cravings will go nuts. They haven't so far, but still.  So, I'm sticking to my template meals and eating on a schedule even though I'm really not hungry.  Other than a bit of cheese on my lunch salad, and 2 Hershey's dark nuggets yesterday was compliant.  The evil chocolates are gone now (only milk chocolate left, blech) so they won't tempt me further.  I went through the whole flow chart in my head yesterday and decided they were worth it - I think I needed the chocolate for a mood elevator yesterday - and I was content after 2 instead of eating the whole bowl. baby steps.

Beeskie - good luck in your travels. I'm sure you'll do fine. Eating out is a bit aggravating I know, but remember you're paying for your meal so they should make it however you need it made.  its great you can do some shopping/cooking at your mom's place too - that'll be a help.

Gina, love the pic!

Espie - how was that side dish? sounded delish!

TGIF!!

Hello all just catching up on your posts after a few busy days (I can't wait until the school year ends). Doing well here, lost another 2lbs this week - and have been trying to focus on increasing my activity. I feel so much better mentally if I get some exercise in. Still haven't added any grains or other new food groups. Had a slight craving for bread yesterday, so I may have to test gluten soon. 

Espie, love your philosophy that it's how we feel that counts. So true, and yummy on that side dish, I may have to make my own version of that!

Jen - Holy Cow talk about control. Sounds like you are working things out and figuring out how to deal with those cravings. Sorry you have to spend time in the boot this too shall pass.

Gina - glad to hear your doing well and I will echo the others and say no reason for you to feel guilty as you figure out your own journey. Love the new profile pic! 

Beeksie - Yummy recipes, thanks for sharing. I feel like in order to stave off boredom I should branch out and try some new recipes as well. I also know this summer will be filled with some long weekends away and I was thinking about it, there aren't a lot of foods that are easy to take while traveling - except maybe fruits and vegetables. Going to have to give this some thought. 

Have a great day everyone!!

Susabella - congratulations on your loss! 

Still mostly maintaining a handle on the few non-compliant things in the house, even through PMS and a horrid mood. I'm happy with that for now. I'm considering either doing another Whole 30 or a whole7 or 14 starting next week. It'll give me something else to focus on beyond my foot, bad mood and lack of exercise. I know eating the healthiest way for my body will only help in the healing too - a much better option than riding my bike off a cliff so to speak. I'm going to think on it over the weekend and see if I'm ready to recommit.

Have a great weekend everyone!

I hope everyone had a terrific weekend, and those traveling had a good time! My weekend was good, but I'm paying the price for over-indulgence in untested foods from yesterday. I know for a fact I had gluten (zucchini bread and chocolate almond cake), and I suspect I had soy as well (passed hors devours with ahi tar-tar and chicken larb) and this morning my stomach hurts and is bloated/distended plus I had acid reflux last night. Eek! Not good! Still, I had a wonderful time at the brunch and at the LA Film Fest. AND I got to meet Mark Ruffalo! 

I thought more on it this weekend and I was ready to recommit to a second Whole 30 beginning tomorrow, but then I saw the email announcement of the official Whole 30 beginning July 1. I've decided to continue riding my own bike until then and join the big group. This give me more time to figure some things out while staying mostly compliant, and I hopefully won't do too much damage between now and then. I can say, taking into account how I feel today, I'll go back to dropping gluten and soy out of the equation for now. I'm still amazed that I don't miss grains at all - not even rice or bread!

Looking forward to hopefully getting the soft cast off my foot today at my recheck appoint. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

Jen sending good thoughts your way and hoping your recheck goes well!! Love your plan, it makes a lot of sense. Sorry you weren't feeling great this morning but on the upside you are continuing to learn about how your body reacts to things. 

Here's an interesting tidbit. I've never had bad skin, but did suffer from the occasional break out (usually around my tom or after a sugar binge). Well, I have been almost 100% whole 30 with a few test meals here and there. Saturday, my plan to eat at home didn't work out - it was 6:00 and with more errands to do I decided to eat at Chick - fil - A for dinner. Seemed like the healthiest option given all my choices. So I got a market salad, lettece, fruit, and grilled chicken. I didn't put any dressing on it and though it wasn't the best tasting meal it served a purpose. Now I know I have read on these forums as well as in the book that the chicken is not OK because it has all kinds of crap in it. Like I said it was sort of an emergency and I figured real life happens a lot so I might as well test the waters. I had no GI issues, but Sunday morning I woke up with a hugh zit on my chin - I assume my body rebelling against artificial ingredients!! I know that was kind of a long story but I just thought I would share. 

Happy Monday All!!

Mark Ruffalo?! Super cool! Love him. Remember seeing him in NYC and was too chicken to say hello.

Fingers crossed, soft cast off!

I'm still in a good head space but I did some serious offroading this weekend. My weekend looked similar to pre-Whole30. As a result, I found myself binging a bit and even sneaking a few bites of cake so my husband wouldn't see. That tells me that letting myself go for a couple days will bring on major bad habits and cravings. Why I'm in a good head space is due to the fact that I was looking forward to cleaning up my meals today. Craving healthy food. And, was excited to get back into the gym. I'm not sure if I told you guys that I am back to working out 3-4 days per week and I feel amazing.

What I will be battling is the weekend vs. weekday habits thing.

Oh, and we leave for a 10 day camping trip to Maine on June 23 (Yay!). Camping usually means indulgence. So... I will need to do some serious reflection.

Weekends are always a challenge for me as well. Even more so since I can't get out and run or hike or walk the dog.   Boredom eating is something I have to fight off. And then you want to go out and be social and have a little of this, a little of that. I totally get you. It's nice to crave healthy meals though.  I just had a very satisfying lunch of leftover mashed yams, leftover breakfast veggie sauté, a turkey patty with homemade mayo and mustard and some green olives. Yum!

Soft cast is off, but I'm still in the boot and still on limited activity.  I'm starting to settle in though, and my mood is improving.

Susabella, isn't it amazing  how your body shows you its displeased? ;)

Hello All, 

Yeah Jen, glad the soft cast is off and things are improving!!  Status quo over here. Spent most of the week on plan. Did have some nice corn on the cob for dinner the other night, no effects that I noticed. Have tried a little of every food group except gluten which I'm not really craving, but I am curious to see if I'm sensitive to it. 

Gina, I totally agree, there are always going to be times that it is harder to stay on track, whether it's weekends, friday nights, holidays, etc... I think that is life and the most invaluable thing I learned from this experience is that I don't like feeling crappy and now I know how to fix it. So if I do derail or go on a little bender (which I'm sure will happen someday) I now know that I can turn that around and get right back on track, which is exactly what you did. 

Hope everyone else is well, been quiet around here this week!

Happy Friday, everyone!  Well, it's taken 7'ish weeks, but the GI problems that originally brought me to do the Whole 30 seem to finally be resolving thanks to leaving gluten/grains/legumes out of my diet. It seems I was suffering some of the symptoms of a leaky gut and that everything is finally healed.  This gives me some serious incentive to remain gluten free, even non-gluten grain free if that will help.

I'm looking forward to getting back 100% into my next whole 30 beginning July 1 and busily looking up new recipes to try, but until then I'm just maintaining. Bit of dairy and a bit of booze here and there - nothing binge-worthy in the house, etc.  And (huge for me!) I took my bathroom scale back out of the bathroom so that temptation isn't there staring at me.  I sort of feel like I'm gaining a bit - probably due to lack of activity and muscle turning to flab - but I know that will turn back around as soon as I can move again. 

Hope everyone is well. Have a great weekend!

Archived