JenX's Post-W30 Log

JenX

Wine with & after dinner, and a bit of cheese on my lunch salad yesterday. Otherwise compliant. And I finally had restorative sleep last night! I went the first half of the night w/o the boot and second half with but w/o the pillow and I slept hard. I feel so much better! But now hat I have energy again just sitting is that much more aggravating. Can't win.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am paying for a weekend of over-indulgence. I bought potato chips along with my weekly groceries on Saturday morning and it turns out while tortilla chips are fine, potato chips are a complete FWOB for me! I opened the bag with lunch and seemed fine, but then got into them again about 2 hrs later when not hungry and ate the rest of the bag. I'm glad I chose the reduced sodium bag or I'd be holding even more water than I am right now. To top if off, all those simple carbs in my system set me up to follow old patterns. I stopped at the store again and picked up a pint of ice cream. That whole "well, I already blew it today so I may as well have x, y, z".  Self sabotage at its psychological best!  tasted great though and I have no regrets beyond how crappy I feel today.   

Sunday I had a healthy template breakfast and then brunch with friends. potato crust quiche (dairy), turkey sausage, berries, zucchini bread (first foray into Gluten), and chocolate almond cake which has Gluten and most likely soy lecithin. oh, and champagne. We had a great time. After that I went to the LA Film Festival screening for Infinitely Polar Bear - my friend works for the releasing entertainment company so there was an after party - little tid-bits on crispy wonton like crackers (more gluten), Chicken larb (soy), ahi tartar (soy), white chocolate tarts (gluten/dairy). 

Symptoms - I had heartburn during the movie from all the rich food and gluten from the brunch. First time I've had heartburn in over a month! This morning I am beyond bloated - my belly is distended and hanging over my jeans. And I have a belly ache. Since I did a double whammy of ingredients I hadn't tested yet (gluten and soy) I'm not sure which one was the culprit for this belly. I suspect the gluten as soy would have been very minimal.

I need to get back to 100% compliance and template meals to clear out my system. Today will be prep-day and I'll get back on the horse tomorrow.

Mentally I'm in a much better space - I've gotten good sleep all weekend, my foot is still annoying but no longer depressing, and all in all I'm in a good mood today. My pants are just too tight! :rolleyes:

M1 - 3 fried eggs, 1/2 avocado, sautéed onion, bell pepper, zucchini & tomatoes

M2 - salad w/ veggies, olives, 1/2 avocado, chicken hb egg and vinaigrette

I'm tempted to go off-road for dinner. I think I want to have pizza between now and the official restart on July 1 and part of my brain is saying no time like the present. I hate to set my week off that way though, plus I have a ton of proteins in the house I need to cook. decisions, decisions. Guess it boils down to do I want to stop at the store or not.

As it turned out I realized what I was really after was cheese. I did stop at the store and bought some gouda, as well as a head of cauliflower and some mozzarella. Later this week i'll make a paleo cauliflower crust pizza I've made in the past and see if that's close enough to satisfy. I'm proud of that decision and really taking the time to puzzle out the best course for me for now.  So, instead I went home, cut up a chicken to roast in the oven, seared some lamb chops for dinner and had that with leftover yam w/ ghee and broccoli tossed in EVOO. A very satisfying and delicious dinner! and one small slice of gouda after dinner which I savored with some wine.

That was just as well since I have way too many uncooked proteins in the house - I went overboard at the store this past weekend and half of it needs to be cooked and frozen or just frozen. Will get the pork cooking overnight in the slow cooker and freeze the fish and ribs for now. Eek!

lets see. M3 yesterday was roast chicken (leg, thigh & wing) and zoodles w/ fresh tomatoes, olives, EVOO and basil. Piece of cheese after dinner. Wine. more wine, and then into the corn chips (mindless snacking). okay, okay.  Time to climb our way out of this slippery slope. I DO NOT want to get back into the habit of shoveling food in my face all evening.  Feel slightly hungover this morning. Dry mouth, bad taste, tired. cranky. I DO NOT want to go back to waking up like that every morning. So I won't. It's that simple.

In other news, I think even with the alcohol and dairy I've been eating, my gut is finally healing. BM's have been more formed (except for Monday a.m. after the soy/gluten eaten on Sunday) than they have been in a long, long time. Gluten-caused leaky gut? very possibly!  This gives me real incentive to continue.  I'll be in the July 1st Whole 30 but will continue to eat mostly compliant between now and then if it continues to show these kinds of results.

a compliant day yesterday except for cream in one coffee with 1/2 tsp of sugar, 1 piece of cheese w/ dinner, and what has again become nightly alcohol. my energy is in the toilet. Partly that's from lack of exercise and endorphin withdrawal, but partly that's bc when I drink I don't sleep well. Plus I've been staying up too late.  I'm going to make an effort to get to bed at a reasonable time tonight. Everything just takes so much longer with this boot on. By the time I get home, cook or reheat dinner, clean up, feed the critters, medicate the cat, ice my foot, it's coming up on 9:30 and I haven't had a chance to unwind. So then I stay up until 11 or so watching tv. I'm used to being in bed asleep before 10.

BM's are still good. I'm on a streak! if this keeps up all of this is worth it. :D  I'll give up gluten and grains forever!

yesterday's food:

[M1] - 3 fried eggs, sautéed peppers, onions, mushroom, zucchini & spinach, 1/2 avo, 1 tomato

[M2] - leftover sautéed veg from breakfast, 1 turkey patty, homemade mayo, sweet potato, green olives

[M3[ - chicken thigh and leg (roasted, skin on), oven roasted potato wedges & Brussels sprouts, bacon, mayo, piece of cheese

- snack - packet of almond butter

GF beer while cooking dinner. White wine w/ dinner.

Living dangerously. I had a regular beer last night at tri-club meeting. I don't think it caused any trouble but am trying to stay attuned to more subtle problems down the line. Even more living dangerously, I bought food from the commissary today. Roasted pork loin, roasted potatoes, sautéed veg. I have no idea what they brushed the pork with, but it was slightly sweet so maybe syrup in a glaze(?) Also a strong possibility they used soybean or some other non-compliant oil in the cooking of all/some of that meal. I guess we'll see how I do today. I just couldn't face another salad bar salad today, and I forgot my dressing, so decided to take the chance.

No horrible side effects from what I ate from the commissary. Friday evening I also picked up a container of dark chocolate covered almonds from trader joe's and made the mistake to get into them on the drive home. Let's just say I went through the entire container (7 servings) by noon the next day.  The Soy Lecithin gave me gas, and the chocolate and sugar wired me something horrible. Then on Sunday I went to Arclight to see Mad Max. Had a coupon for a free regular popcorn so had that and a beer. This morning, GI issues are back. What did I expect... I can honestly say Movie Theater Popcorn is NOT worth it to me. I don't go see a lot of movies in public theaters, but from now on  when I do, popcorn need not enter the equation.

Gearing up mentally to get back on W30 on the 1st. I will probably start that Monday, 6/29 and I just won't count those first 2 days. So, this week is finding new recipes and this weekend is prep/cooking.

I've been doing well for the most part and eating I'd say 85-90% compliant, but those few things that have come back in regularly have affected my weight. Especially in combination with my sedentary lifestyle at the moment.  At least 2 more weeks in this damn boot to look forward (?) to so I need to watch those portions a bit more and cut out the additions. Will put pork in the slow cooker tonight. I keep forgetting to do it!

I managed to cook bacon AND put the pork in the slow cooker overnight, and then made a solid breakfast and packed my lunch today. overall though I'm an emotional wreck today. I'm frustrated, sleep deprived, crabby, sore all over and generally feel off. That evil part of my brain is trying to talk me into getting pizza tonight. not healthy pizza - gut busting nasty pizza hut pizza - even though I know it'll only make me feel worse. And I know the cravings are just because I'm tired and stressed. My plan is to eat my nice healthy lunch (chicken salad + salad) and try to get through this work day. I need to get to bed early and possibly even take a sleep aid tonight. A good night's rest will do me wonders if only I can get one!

yesterday afternoon, I had pie. apple pie. Mostly filling, very little crust. And I'm okay with it. I was so down, so tired and achy, that I opted for the sugar rush to get me through the afternoon. I'm okay with that too. By the time I left work I was crashing off the sugar and had acid reflux from the gluten. Not so okay with that but it was a consequence I knew would probably happen.

So, all 3 meals were compliant, pie and alcohol were not. Oh, and that one slice of cheese.

I've done better controlling evening snacking. Last night I went out and worked a bit in the garden before starting dinner - then it took quite a bit longer to braise the cabbage than I planned on so I didn't eat until 8 again. I'm going to do lots of cooking this weekend so I can just reheat next week. I need to get my dinners in earlier while I'm back on W30.

And today I finally brought gym clothes into work with me. Plan is to go to the AC and at least do a bit of weight training. I may try to rowing machine one-legged too but I remember from knee surgery how awkward that is.  I used the stairs 2x at the parking garage yesterday, too (up only - down is too slow) and that already seemed to help the soreness I'm experiencing from sitting so much.  Movement = life!

Whoa!  I had a very small handful of dry-roasted peanuts here at work and BAM! 20 minutes later I had an ocular migraine. I've never reacted to peanuts like that before. I checked the ingredients to make sure no MSG or Nitrates b/c I do react to those, and nothing. How strange.  Visual disturbance was gone within 30 minutes and I never got a headache (thankfully). Wanted to make a note before I forgot.

Got off work early yesterday so I had the time to make cauliflower crust pizza. I've been craving pizza for about 3 weeks now, but didn't want to risk the Gluten hit by getting real pizza. This one tastes just as good! Made it with pepperoni, onion, black olive and mushroom. and only ate 3 of the 8 slices so I have leftovers. Problem is, I'm totally satiated now, so sort of don't want any more.  I'd freeze it, but then I run the risk of eating it during the July Whole 30, b/c I'll know its in there.  I brought it in for lunch today, but my boss said I can take the afternoon off, so now I'm thinking i'll make something else at home.

oh, also, SO hung-over from WAY too much red wine last night. :(  I hurt myself. Forced myself to eat a chicken thigh before I left this morning, and drank a Kombucha in the car but still feel absolutely horrid. I don't know what gets into me some nights. I'm ready to quit drinking again now so maybe we cut that out early. Like today. blech. Very glad he gave me the afternoon off - I'm not sure I'd make it through the whole day anyway feeling like this. Working on getting water in me to rehydrate and flush out the poisons.

yesterday was compliant with the exception of (more reasonable quantities of ) alcohol and one slice of cauliflower pizza. I feel pretty good today overall, but still having some GI issues. I'm ready to get back on W30 with the "official" one July 1. I'm going to start on Monday though - starting mid-week seems so weird to me! I may just not count those first couple of days though. Or I may still be finishing the open booze. :D Looking forward to a dry 3o days.  I wish I was better at moderation...

M1 was leftover braised cabbage and 3 fried eggs with a bit of bacon garnish. Really yummy and comforting for brekkie.  Took a chance on lunch at the commissary today. baked salmon with some sort of sauce/seasoning, some coleslaw and broccoli.  OTC mayo no doubt, and sugar in the coleslaw. It all tasted really good though.  Dinner is most likely zoodle salad and chicken. I have a giant zucchini from the garden I need to eat plus 3-4 store-bought ones in the fridge so zucchini is a must!  I'll make some fritters tomorrow too. those were tasty and a good way to use it up.

So far, between yesterday and this morning, I have roasted a chicken, hard boiled a dozen eggs, made chicken bone broth which is still simmering, seared chicken breast, made lizard sauce (1st time -OMG so good!), made 2 varieties of vegetable hash for the mornings so I just have to cook eggs each morning, and cooked half a packet of compliant bacon. Now I am enjoying a cup of coffee while waiting for 2 eggs to come up to room temp so I can make a double batch of mayo. still to do is cook up turkey taco meat for taco salad, make some fresh salsa (tomato plants are producing like mad!), guacamole and chicken salad with the new mayo. whew!!

• 1 month later...

I didn't post for june 29 & 30 but what I remember is I downed another bottle of wine over those 2 days and maybe had that last hit of cheese... anyway, Started my 2nd Whole 30 on July 1. Today is July 30 so the final day.  It was a screaming success! I was able to stabilize my weight, and since the boot came off on the 20th I've been able to slowly increase the cardio. My mood is much better - my cravings are gone.  The IBS-D that had started to get back again those last 2 weeks prior has mostly resolved. And now I have a better understanding of what causes an attack. Nuts are not my friend.

I decided to do a complete reintroduction schedule this time. i'll post it here. I really feel I need to see this through this time - seeing how behaviors crept back in last time. I also really need to not reward myself with alcohol on day 31, no matter how much my brain screams for it.  I have a happy hour scheduled on the 4th and that will be my alcohol reintroduction - that way I don't have to have anything in the house.  I also have a trip to Sonoma and Napa the weekend of Aug 21 after my Intros so that will be riding my own bike, indulging and yet trying to stay within reason (I know...moderation? me?) somehow, someway. I do not want to feel like crap all weekend. 

I'll be walking a 1/2 marathon (maybe will cut the course, depends on foot) so between now and then I need to work on adding duration & distance.

That's the latest. Will post that schedule next.

JenX's Whole 30 #2 Reintroduction Schedule

Day 1: Evaluate soy legumes (soy milk latte, miso soup w /lunch, tofu& shrimp stirfry w/ soy sauce)

Days 2, 3 and 4 eat 100% compliant (I figure it may take me that long to get over legumes anyway... plus it gets me through the danger that is the weekend)

Day 5: Evaluate (non-grain) alcohol (@ happy hour) - hello..WINE. 'nuf said

Day 6 & 7 eat 100% compliant

Day8: evaluate legumes (baked beans (if I can find one not swimming in sugars), black beans, hummus)

Day 9 & 10: eat 100% compliant

Day 11: Evaluate non-gluten grains (rice, corn, quinoa would be the things I choose. or drop quinoa and do white & brn rice & corn)

Day 12 & 13: eat 100% compliant

Day 14: Evaluate Dairy (yogurt, butter, cheese - I don't do milk anyway)

Day 15 & 16 eat 100% compliant

Day 17: evaluate gluten grains (toast from work so I don't have to bring bread in the house, regular beer, ww pasta)

Day 18, 19, 20 - 100% compliant

Day 21 - leave for Sonoma [compliant breakfast & lunch, dinner out]

okay, so there. that's the plan and I'm sticking to it. There are no decisions to make - above are the new rules, just like the Whole 30 rules. Rules for me to follow = happiness. <3

So here we are on day 1 of reintroductions. I'm down 7.5 lbs and 5" and i'm positive that all happened this past week, maybe 10 days.  This gives me the motivation to stick to my schedule and then once i know the effects of these different food groups I want to try eating to template unless out/special occasion/something just too good to pass up so the fat will continue to melt off.

Day 1

Awake at 5:30

Meal 1 @ 6:15 scrambled eggs, sauteed kale, onion, mushroom and bell pepper, 1/4 avocado

soy milk latte (8:45) impressions - still tastes great. I'm sipping slowly and really enjoying it.

Meal 2 @

Sashimi with soy sauce, miso soup, Shirataki noodles (tofu noodles) in Udon soup base with tofu, (all the instant miso soup had rice) salad with homemade vinaigrette

Meal 3

shrimp and tofu (organic, high protein) stir fry, soy sauce, veggies,

some insights ...  I feel much more in control this time, as opposed to last time. That time I wasn't in a rush to reintroduce food, but I really wanted that reward of some wine and indulged on day 31.  This time I've already taken that off the table and it's taken a weight off my shoulders. I feel very settled, and happy with the schedule I laid out for myself. I think writing it down in as much detail as I did and really thinking about it made all the difference. Also knowing once I complete that, and the weekend away, I'll be going back to eating to template until some other occasion comes up where I want to treat myself.  I'm even ready to clean out the pantry once I finish reintroducing - throwing out all the leftover rice & pasta, donating the canned beans, etc. My sister did it and she has 2 young boys to contend with. I have no excuse!

Right, so it's 10:30 and I have a gurgley stomach and a bit of a headache.   We'll have to see what the soy additions in Meal2 bring. And now that gurgley stomach turned into a minor attack of IBS-D. In all fairness, I had a handful of almonds yesterday, and nuts always set this off, so it may not be related to the soy. Will continue and see how I progress.

Lunch was at about 1, and at 2;20, that minor headache and gurgly stomach is back and more D - no bueno! So now I guess we can say it's the soy.  Now sure I'll continue through M3. Regardless, it's something I can see me including on occasion - like when I go out for sushi which maybe happens 4 x a year.

A couple more attacks of D but feeling much better. Dinner was compliant. Chicken quarter, broccoli, green olives and hash brown cake. I noticed I was really tired all afternoon after lunch too. Another possible effect of the soy.

Meal 2 @ 2pm. Taco salad. Turkey taco meat, my normal greens salad, a couple sliced black olives, drawing of avo-mayo-cilantro. I'm so happy I can be hungry and still keep everything under control. I was hungry starting 11:30 but in the middle of errands so meal had to wait. And it was fine!

The one part of food prep that still seems weird to me is sourcing/prepping fats. Today I clarified butter, made a double batch of mayo, and skimmed the fat off chilled drippings from roasting a chicken. Oh and made sure my ripe avocados moved to the fridge. :). Yay FATS!!

I totally had the same kind of day. And thought the same thing! Roasted a duck and rendered the fat.....so excited for duck fat! Had bacon for breakfast and saved that fat in a little jar, and also moved my avo's to the fridge. Mayo is on my list for tomorrow. Yummy.

Archived