JenX's Post-W30 Log

JenX

Jen - Which kombucha did you use to buy? I looked at Whole Foods but most of them had added stuff that is not compliant. I was going to give it a try, but I can't find where you told me what kind to buy. LOL!

I like GT's - particularly Gingerberry and Trilogy. Buch is a tricky one because they all have sugar. You use sugar to feed the culture that causes the tea to ferment. The culture eats all that sugar and gives you enzymes and probiotics in return. So when looking at ingredients list if it says kombucha (tea, sugar). That is allowed. It's only if they add sweeteners after that first fermentation that they go against W30 rules. In that case it would say kombucha (tea, sugar) blueberry juice, sugar, ginger, etc. and then it is not compliant.

Making it is so easy once you get it all going. And so much cheaper than $4-$5 a bottle!

I'll lock my scale back in the spare bedroom. That's where it has lived during both W30s. It's only when it's in the bathroom that I have a compulsion to get on it. So yes, it's a deal, J9er! Let's dump them!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Gluten Test Day**

Pre-wo: 1/2 chicken thigh w/ bit of mayo

post workout/meal 1: pork sausage, turkey taco meat, yam, kale hash, + instant Trader Joe's Natural oatmeal, cinnamon apple (gak!! this stuff is SO sweet now!  trying to gag it down but I am NOT enjoying it.  While oats themselves aren't gluten containing grains, everything I've read is to treat them as they are. they do have a similar compound, and they're prone to cross-contamination both in the field and in processing so unless they're labeled GF oatmeal, they should be considered as containing gluten.

Meal 2: 1 palm leftover NY strip steak, BAS w/ leftover kale and zucchini, greens & raw veg, vinaigrette. gluten...bread? maybe pasta salad? depends on what I can find here at work

Meal 3: turkey burgers on portabello mushrooms w/ Mayo, beer (1 lg format) roasted potato, brussel sprouts (maybe a hamburger bun if I can't find something to include at lunch today. I can buy a roll at the store when I get the beer.

Had a normal BM this morning, followed by one that was still a bit loose but decided to get the gluten test over with. I don't want to be suffering really bad GI distress for 8 hrs in the car on Friday if I react poorly, and chances of getting through this weekend w/o any gluten are very unlikely. If I know how badly it affects me I'll make that much more effort to avoid it, but if I don't know I know I'll just blow it off and eat whatever.

So, stopped at Ralphs on the way home at lunch and picked up 2 (!) large format beers and 2 ww rolls. Had one of the beers at home (tsk, tsk, but god was it good!), and one of the rolls with my lunch with steak and salad. Made a steak sandwich and it was delicious. I'm not one who will ever say I don't like bread.  I just know it doesn't like me. In the past wheat would give me heartburn - now we'll see what else it gives me. AS is, the beer made me munchy and sleepy. I was literally thinking about getting crap out of the vending machine in the parking garage. Part of it was I was also hungry so made a bargain...after I ate my lunch if I still wanted something I could have it. Ate lunch and am now stuffed, don't want a thing.  Still sleepy though.

The roll is causing some heaviness in my stomach and I feel like my heart rate is higher than normal. No heart burn yet but I'm sure its coming. Will update further as more symptoms come on or after dinner, depending on how the afternoon goes.

Meal 2 -steak sandwich in WW roll + salad 1 lg format beer.

Meal 3 - turkey burger patties on one WW roll (open face) w all the fixings and 1/2 avocado. 1 lg format beer light skin no veg but I'm too full to eat more.

I'm noticing some rather smelly gas. Unpleasant. Otherwise no symptoms beyond foggy brain and sleepiness. Bread tast d TOO good. FWOB for me for sure. From way back. I'd quit keeping it in the house about 2 years ago. At least when I'm watching my intake.

I like GT's - particularly Gingerberry and Trilogy. Buch is a tricky one because they all have sugar. You use sugar to feed the culture that causes the tea to ferment. The culture eats all that sugar and gives you enzymes and probiotics in return. So when looking at ingredients list if it says kombucha (tea, sugar). That is allowed. It's only if they add sweeteners after that first fermentation that they go against W30 rules. In that case it would say kombucha (tea, sugar) blueberry juice, sugar, ginger, etc. and then it is not compliant.

Making it is so easy once you get it all going. And so much cheaper than $4-$5 a bottle!

I'll lock my scale back in the spare bedroom. That's where it has lived during both W30s. It's only when it's in the bathroom that I have a compulsion to get on it. So yes, it's a deal, J9er! Let's dump them!

My scale is gone too. I feel relived to have it gone.

Gluten is NOT my friend in any way shape or form.  In addition to symptoms listed above my hands are stiff, the joints are sore, my right elbow and shoulder joints are sore, my brain feels foggy and I had some not-so-quality-time in the bathroom this morning. 

So! plan for this weekend is to eat mostly my own food. Meals 1 & 2 will be compliant, snacks will be minimal. Meal 3 will be out at various restaurants but I will do my best to remain compliant there as well.  I did buy some GF crackers to bring in case I get the desire for something crunchy-munchy after drinking wine at the various wineries. I'll also bring some baby carrots.  For the release party at Venge, most of the food there will be questionable at best so I'll either bring a cooler with my own food or eat an early lunch before we go there.  Mostly I want to enjoy being out of town and being with my friends - they don't care what I eat or don't eat.  And I don't want to be miserable all weekend like I feel right now. :huh:  I'll bring some kombucha and tons of water, some coffee for mornings, some herbal tea for evenings. I'll bring chicken salad for lunches, and turkey/sausage/kale/yam hash for breakfasts. I have hb eggs done up and will bring them too.

It's going to be a great weekend. And now that I'm done with my reintroductions I really do have a better idea of what I need to moderate and what I need to do my best to avoid entirely. :D

Tuesday will be the start of my Whole JenX plan. That means eating to template and compliant at home except for watching every little ingredient in my condiments, sugar in my bacon, etc. Allowing myself non-compliant things/alcohol if I want when out if I deem them worth it, but still doing my best to avoid gluten, lactose, and soy since those were the worst offenders. I'm still needing to test cheese (casein v. lactose) and will do that over this weekend.  What's nice is now I want to eat this way to feel good, not just to lose weight. Today certainly reminded me of how crappy I felt before I started all this and I do not want to feel this way ever again.

Omg! I replied over on my thread too, but wow hey? How horrible is the feeling....I'm so sorry it hit you like that! I am sitting here shuddering thinking of that feeling. Bone broth really helped me. I know youre going away but maybe throw a chicken I the crockpot tonight?

Once it clears you will feel like a different person, I can attest to that. I would rather eat a truckload of sugar and dairy then feel like that again. Poor you!

starting to feel better. the stiffness is going from my hands and the aches/pains are less. Bloating is worse though.

meal 1: 1/2 serving turkey taco meat, 2 scrambled eggs, kale and yam. Hash cooked in chicken fat, eggs cooked w/ ghee.

meal 2: salad bar salad + a sprinkle of cheese and black olives, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, walnuts, celery, carrot, 1 palm of chicken (homemade), vinaigrette.

Meal 3: brussel sprouts, Kahlua pig, mayo. White wine. Too much. So much for that no wine in the house rule.

Up in a rush to cook the rest of my food, get it cooler, pack and get out the door. Breakfast was 3 scrambled eggs in ghee, leftover b.sprouts, 1/2 avocado @6:30

Snack of 5 GF crackers at 10:45. I packed a little late get in lunch veggies so will have to buy some.

Out for dinner last night. I had a hamburger with no bun, green salad with the vinaigrette, and some french fries with the garlic aoli sauce. Plus I managed to keep it to one glass of Pinot noir last night. I felt great! My friends had heavy mac & cheese, and pizza, and they both felt rather gross last night. I have to say I was gloating.

Today there's food at the release party and I will eat what looks tasty and looks like it won't bother me. I am going to bring a small emergency meal of carrot sticks, olives, and hard-boiled eggs just in case. That gluten reaction was bad enough I have real incentive to stay away from the desserts and breads.

Time to catch up. Saturday was my hash from home and half an acocado + 2 cuties. We tasted at Envy and I poured about half of what they gave us. Then at Venge's party I had lamb Kafka (5), mini duck tarts without the crust, goat cheese crostini wo the bread (x3). Drank WAY too much! It was a great time. Came back and ate the rest of my chicken salad, olives and a hunk of salami. Overall a very light day food wise and low on veggies but drank a lot of calories.

Sunday was the race. I ate half my hash breakfast as I was just not hungry, hungover from too much wine. Starving after race so had 2 bags of kettle chips and beer, then chicken salad w GF crackers. Tasted at Foppiano ( passed mine to the oedher girls after a sip or 2) and at Merriam where I pours half of each taste in the bin. Lastly J vineyards for bubbly. Had dinner out -lamb with polenta cake and a French bistro salad ( frisée, bacon, poached egg). So far I've avoided most dairy and all gluten and am not having any troubles wth aches or GI distress.

Breakfast was Denny's. Ultimate omelette, no cheese, hash browns and gluten free English muffin. At least it was advertised to be. Guess we'll see.

All in all, I've been happy with my choices. And I've only been internally judgey about what my friends were eating - nothing out loud no matter how much I've wanted to. :D . I'm ready to go home and dry out and eat compliant for a while but I'm happy at my body's reaction to my choices on this trip. If I hadn't done such a detailed re-intro I would have just said "stuff it" and eaten all.the.things. I'm so glad I didn't!

So last night we got home and I was ready for dinner. Instead of reaching for more corm or potato chips and salami, I went for real food!!  I'd cooked some chicken right before I left so had a leg and thigh, and some broccoli with EVOO. It tasted soooo good!

I'm having some GI issues today. It could either be b/c I got dosed w/ gluten at Denny's (I didn't ask about the eggs in my omelet) or just the amount of food I ate yesterday, including some of said potato and corn chips. Either or... I'm glad to be home and back to real food.  This morning was the tail end of the sausage/kale/yam hash with 2 scrambled eggs and some zucchini to round it out. I desperately need to go to the store so will either hit the salad bar for lunch here at work, or will head over to Sprouts

Still nursing some very sore hip muscles. I'm walking like an arthritic old crone every time I get up! That and my shins are sore. hopefully just this one more day and by tomorrow should be better.  I did break the rules and run a little bit during the race. We were on a packed dirt track between miles 6-8 so I thought a slow jog should be fine. That may have been what did my hips in as I haven't run at all in 3 months. I guess I should get back into pilates and build those muscles back up!

I'm still amazed at how well the weekend went food-wise. I didn't knowingly put any dairy, soy or gluten grains in my mouth. Those sweet and/or munchy wine foods didn't appeal to me. Even bread didn't appeal to me!  I certainly overindulged but I enjoyed every minute. And now I'll enjoy eating much much cleaner for the next week. I have a friend's birthday out on Friday, and a sushi party on Saturday. I'll decide once I'm at those places what if anything i'll indulge in but will certainly eat compliant and to template between now and then.

M2 was a HUGE salad from work. I used their chicken and hard boiled eggs for protein. no homemade dressing so had oil and vinegar, all from the salad bar. they had a tasty kale salad with chunks of jicama with lime and red pepper flakes - I may need to duplicate that!

Quick stop at the store to load the fridge up with veggies and something for dinner. I feel really unprepared for this week without much cooked, but i'll make it through. I'm feeling so much more myself than I was this morning. It's amazing what a couple of template/compliant meals do to straighten me out.

I meant to bring all the leftover chips in to work today. Will do my best to keep my paws out of them tonight and bring them in tomorrow. I don't really want them, but sometimes the desire for crunch overtakes me.

Kombucha and 2 slices of salami (non-compliant due to curing sugar) while cooking, salmon, potato and zucchini for dinner. So good! Peeled and cubed the potato and roasted in the oven. Sautéed the zucchini in the pan after finishing the fish, and added in ghee and lemon. Not wanting for anything. I am actually a little over-full but it all tasted so good I ate until I finished my plate.

Ahhh, life is good when I'm eating right! That sense of well being, and really good sleep is back :D  Cannot be beat!

Meal 1: breakfast pork sausage, yam and kale cooked in C.fat, 2 scrambled eggs in  1/2 thumb of ghee, tbsp. almond butter, coffee

Meal 2: turkey patties (2), B.A.S w/ homemade vinaigrette.

Meal 3: depends on my mood when I walk in. Either leftover salmon or reheated baked chicken I should think. Probably w/ broccoli and EVOO.

OR maybe more zucchini since I just noticed another one the size of a baby's arm in the garden this morning. Id o not know how I missed it when I checked the vines. :wacko:  The good news is even when these get big they tend to stay tender and sweet so I just get more yield per fruit!

My right hip is almost back to normal. Left hip is still sore, but at least I'm not lurching and limping when I get up anymore.  12 week foot ex-ray is tomorrow after lunch. I'm hopeful dr. will say I'm okay to start running. I managed to stop the lower-body spread by doing that last W30, but I'd really like my pants to fit better through the thighs and butt and running and biking are the only things that seem to slim me down there. Of course...I could be biking and spinning now but it just doesn't seem to happen!

a bit munchy today. I think it's probably after-effects of the weekend/wine. Anyway, had a small handful of chili-lime pistachios from the boss' stash after lunch, and a coffee with a touch of cream and that seemed to do it.

So meal 3 last night... ended up being roasted chicken (leg, thigh and wing), leftover roasted potato and broccoli and green olives. Then about two hours later I was hungry again AND munch. I ate the rest of the pork rinds, a small bag of kettlechips and another handful of pistachios. After that it dawned on me...I'm pms-ing. D'oh! yep. -_-  Okay. Now I know what it is and I can resist it plus make choices that will ease it. Boy am I glad I brought the big bag of tortilla chips in to work that morning. Otherwise they may all have been crunched up!

For today:

M1 - sausage/kale/yam hash in coconut oil; 2 eggs scrambled in ghee, coconut milk in coffee

M2 - B.A.S. 1/2 avocado, turkey taco meat, vinaigrette

M3- Salmon, broccoli, mashed potato/cauliflower w/ ghee

My GI issues seem better this morning. Still too much volume but not as loose. Even with all the nuts.  :wacko:  Here's to them being even better tomorrow!

I just had my 12-week x-ray and while my foot is healing, it's not filled in all the way yet. This mean NO running until my next check in 2 months. I admit it. I had my hopes up, especially after this past weekend's half marathon and how well my foot held up to that. I found this news crushing to my spirit. I was in tears in the car and am ready to cry more now just thinking about 2 more months of walking or doing the elliptical stuck indoors at the gym. 

I know I need to find a better way to deal with these feelings of extreme disappointment but all I want to do right now is crawl into a 6-pack or wine bottle and binge on horrid foods. :angry:  Intellectually, I know that won't help anything and I'm doing my best to fight it, but honestly I'm running out of energy on that front by the minute. If I make it through tonight it will be a miracle. If I don't and if I falter, I won't recriminate myself - not that I'm giving myself permission. I just truly don't believe in guilt as pertains to eating/drinking/bingeing. I gave that up several years ago and found my binges naturally lessened in frequency and duration when guilt & disgust & recrimination were removed from the equation.

I just wish that news had been better. But it is what it is. I can't risk going back to running until it's fully healed or that bone will re-break and I'll be back at square one.  Again, intellectually I understand that, but I honestly don't me sticking with walking for more than another month. sigh.  Super bad news and PMS are NOT a good combination.

Add to my healthy dinner of zucchini fritters, salmon and lemon mayo, a large format beer, lager pour of wine, and single-serve Haagen Dazs chocolate ice cream. I'll pay for it tomorrow. But I chose it anyway.

I am in such a bad mood!  All I want to do is go back home and lay on the couch but the house is too hot.  I'm supposed to go out to some 80s bar tonight for a friend's b/day but I'm going to skip it. I also am supposed to go to a sushi party tomorrow evening for another friend's bday. it's usually a lot of fun, but he's limited the number of people this year and the ones that are going are boring. I want to skip that too!  Ugh. PMS often makes me very anti-social and drinking too much last night is certainly not helping me to overcome those anti-social tendencies.  On top of that the heat wave is killing me - sucking the life right out of me. 

I wasn't hungry this morning for obvious reasons, but choked down breakfast sausage, yams and avocado.

Well I finally started my period so my mood is better but I'm tired. The rest of yesterday was a wash. I had the chicken from the commissary and I'm pretty sure it was coated in flour as I ached all afternoon and ended up with acid reflux. It came with broccoli and chopped salad to which I added vinaigrette from home.

Dinner was gluten free natural pepperoni pizza. Boy that was good! I also had gluten free beer and wine. Too much alcohol, I know. Add to that some cheer tomatoes and green olives. And bacon. And Kombucha. I think that's everything. Not a binge but not as healthy as it could have been.

Not hungry again this morning (too much wine) but will go start cooking shortly. I'm already well past the one hour mark. Oh well.

Archived