scared to whole30 again

Yep, you read that correctly - hear me out! :)

So last year was my first dip into the whole30 world. It really opened my eyes and made me feel a lot better. 

However the one thing it didn't do is help my IBS - I'm guessing the extra fat/vegetables was a bit of an overload on my stomach.

I have now found that I've steered a bit too much away from the whole30 lifestyle, for fear of flare-ups like I had in my first whole30  :o

Since then I have identified some triggers which are quite prominent in a whole30, avocados are a no-no, eggs I can't tolerate very well....

Can anyone help me gently steer back - I know I'll feel better for it?

I am eating far too little vegetables and I am relying on white rice too much. 

It's great that you've been able to identify some triggers, as that's a step in the right direction for you completing a successful whole30 without flare ups, and many people manage without eggs or avocados. In fact kirkor recently completed a whole30 with only 10 food items...

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26685-w30-project-x/#entry280805

There are plenty of other fat sources to use - compliant bacon, ghee, olive oil, olives, coconut oil/milk etc - and you should be able to identify other triggers if you keep a food log as you go.

I say go for it - it will be a fantastic learning curve.

Thanks :) I've also found that things like beef and sweet potatoes are a trigger for me, devestating as they were a staple in my original whole30s!

Things like cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, mushrooms, onions etc...no chance :( 

I also rely on white potato quite a lot, which isn't ideal.

• Moderators

What are the compliant foods that seem to work well for you? Perhaps that's the best way to start. Compile a list of what works and then add to it. For example, if greens tend to work for you, but you mainly only eat spinach, deliberately add more kale, chard, romaine, collards, etc., even if you're not terribly familiar with them. If you're limited in terms of starchy veg, do the same thing. OK, so sweet potatoes don't work, but what about parsnips, beets, plantain, taro, squash, carrots, celeriac, etc?

My point is there may be a world of food to explore and it could be a fun adventure if you're willing to adjust the frame a bit.

Thankyou for the helpful reply :) 

I can tolerate spinach, white potatoes, carrots, a tiny bit of butternut squash, courgettes. I think I'm ok with kale too but haven't experimented too much.

Meat wise I can't tolerate bacon or beef, I stick to turkey, chicken and fish mainly. 

Fat wise I am ok with olive oil and coconut oil. :)

oh also! I have a soup maker so I could try and get more veggies in that way which will hopefully be easier to digest?

Yes!!! If you include some bone broth in that it will really help out your digestive repair!

This year has been a rough one so far - so I've been suffering bouts of anxiety.  The anxiety I am experiencing is giving me IBS type symptoms - so I've been working on a lowish FODMAP based diet.  Which has helped.  You might want to consider adding some hydrolyzed collagen to your liquids (Hydrolyzed Collagen doesn't gel like regular gelatin) but it does have healing effects like gelatin.

IBS is such a pain. It's so different for every person that you have almost no choice other than to go with trial and error. It sounds like you've got a good start in identifying your triggers though and I would second Carlaccini's suggestion of trying some low-FODMAP alterations for your next Whole30 (or just eating in general). Most of the vegetable triggers you've listed are high-FODMAP foods which seems like a good clue in figuring out how to reduce your symptoms. I would also suggest trying to minimize raw vegetables and making sure that things are well-cooked so that they'll be easier to digest. You can even blend veggies into soup to further break them down and also to just add some variety to your menu.

Good luck!

Archived