Trying again starting May 28th

kimmysticks

Hi all!

My name is Kim, I am trying Whole 30 for the second time starting today. I did it about a year and a half ago - I think I made it 23 days and then flunked out. With the release of the new book, I decided it was time to try again and stick to it this time. So today is Day #1! I'm currently sitting here eating my paleo bacon and hoping for the best :D Hope to learn some new tricks this time around!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there. I am also starting again today. I just finished my 1st W30 3 weeks ago but my sugar dragon is fierce and so I decided to do a 60 day program this time around. Just 2 of us on this start date but hopefully we can give each other support and encouragement along the way and maybe share some amazing recipes.

It's 81 degrees out and I am enjoying a piping hot bowl of beef veg. soup made from some bone broth I made earlier in the week. I am sweating but it is delicious and so satisfying!

I like to post what I am eating so it keeps me on track; sorry if it is annoying:) I promise not to post everything!

By the way my name is Kelly.

Thanks!! And it's more like I was a drummer...I haven't played in years now. But back when I was taking lessons my husband and I were playing with a friend who said "And on the drums, Kimmy Sticks!!" It stuck! Enjoy your night!

Hi!  I just started yesterday too!  (May 28-correct?)  It's my second try in a row--back to back.  I never joined a forum before, but I need your help!!!  May 26th I had just decided to give up (quit) after a "mostly whole 30 three weeks" (I struggle with giving in a little here and there--I'm a bad rule follower) and then I got all motivated and decided to start over yesterday instead. ACK!!  I really wanted to be done before summer, but my mom made me this BEAUTIFUL birthday cake…etc. etc.   I learned a lot from my first try, I think I can do it.  I want to prove to myself that I can!  I want to help you too!

Ahem...boring post I posted. I'm 48, mom to 3, work in a physically demanding crappy job. I have gone sugar free and gluten free before finding that there is misery lol and less gas and indigestion and weight loss. This Whole 30 seems a great route to go. I am going it alone in my little world so a board of support sounds really nice. I am worried about my health's future therefore I am here. I cook very blandly because i have never been into cooking so I hope I hope I can improve this area. The pic above that kimmysticks posted is inspiring :) Happy Friday everyone!

Woo more people! It's nice to meet you all. I think it's great we've got some second-triers here (including me). Rather than looking at the first try like a failure, I'm just concentrating on feeling good about this new chance. Last round I spent a lot of time thinking about all the days ahead of me, how much I'd be missing, oh god how am I ever going to make it? etc. This time I want to try and just focus on the day at hand and not overwhelm myself. Though of course a meal plan like this does need some preparation! Thanks Lisa, that meal was easy to make! If you've got the new book it's in there, but mostly it was just roasting and then pureeing some garlic and shallot, grilling the steak and avocado and topping the steak at the end. I added the beans on my own but it was satisfying without them!

My second day is going well so far, how about everyone else? I had bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast, then chicken grilled breast with guacamole for lunch, then apple slices and almond butter for a snack. Feeling good so far!

Ok, I hope you don't mind another one who started on the 28th!  This is my first time and I'm trying to kick a sugar/wine addiction......I've never done any type of detox program and I know I need to. I love the picture of the steak, that was on my menu for the weekend! Looks amazing....  I know it's only Day 2, but I have to admit, I'm EXHAUSTED today :huh: . I think I consumed more sugar than I'm willing to admit. Tonight will be my first big test, a little nervous. Friends want to go down on Fremont Street for a concert and I'm not drinking! I CAN DO THIS! :D

Hope everyone is doing fantastic today and Happy Friday!

• Administrators

Hi!  I just started yesterday too!  (May 28-correct?)  It's my second try in a row--back to back.  I never joined a forum before, but I need your help!!!  May 26th I had just decided to give up (quit) after a "mostly whole 30 three weeks" (I struggle with giving in a little here and there--I'm a bad rule follower) and then I got all motivated and decided to start over yesterday instead. ACK!!  I really wanted to be done before summer, but my mom made me this BEAUTIFUL birthday cake…etc. etc.   I learned a lot from my first try, I think I can do it.  I want to prove to myself that I can!  I want to help you too!

Hey fun&sun, you might find this article interesting:  http://whole30.com/2011/12/you-get-what-you-pay-for/

Ok, I hope you don't mind another one who started on the 28th!  This is my first time and I'm trying to kick a sugar/wine addiction......I've never done any type of detox program and I know I need to. I love the picture of the steak, that was on my menu for the weekend! Looks amazing....  I know it's only Day 2, but I have to admit, I'm EXHAUSTED today :huh: . I think I consumed more sugar than I'm willing to admit. Tonight will be my first big test, a little nervous. Friends want to go down on Fremont Street for a concert and I'm not drinking! I CAN DO THIS! :D

Hope everyone is doing fantastic today and Happy Friday!

Hi!! You know what's crazy, I got whomped by tiredness a little while ago too! It could be coincidence...but it feels like a different kind of tired, if that makes any sense. 

Nice to see more people!

I want to record a bit but is this the place to keep saying how I am doing?? 

I found this day to be pretty darned good. I do crave but I do have the good lines in my head it seems-I can do anything for 30 days and this will be worth it. 

I have gone thru sugar withdrawal and gluten withdrawal before so knew the first bit could be a literal pain.

I started with little food that would due for meals so thank goodness just got back from the store with a supply and going again for some more in a few minutes.

I had my gall bladder out 20 years ago and have had issues since. I do not eat anything that beef has touched. I do not eat egg yolks. 

After my 30 I would like to try egg yolks/whole eggs again just to see how it goes. (beef is like razor blades thru my intestines so I will NEVER go there again!)

I don't really understand what herb or spice goes well with what. Non-cooker am I. I will be a slow learner no doubt.

Today I made myself fish and a baked potato and cherries for dessert-was sooo good. I was wary of my past failures yesterday but today I feel much better.

I remembered when I was a kid and my mom tried to quit smoking-us kids would dread it...oh no mom, not again. I get that try again kinda thing now. I have lost weight and regained. I am glad to know I can lose! This is more than weight now. I am thinking about my future health. One day at a time.  :)

Hey everyone! I was so glad to see so many posts when I logged on today. It is going well for me so far today. I went grocery shopping and the house is stocked with great stuff to eat. Breakfast was a veg stir fry with hamburger and scrambled eggs, lunch was a mixed greens salad with egg, pecans, blackberries with a side of shrimp and dinner was leftover soup and another healthy salad.

The last week was riddled with dairy and baked goods. Today is full of the result of that bad eating with stomach pains and other uncomfortable consequences. I work in the bakery dept of Whole Foods and am trying to move to the produce dept because I can not deal with the constant temptation! Plus I just can't get behind the product any more.

I am volunteering at our local Race for the Cure run tomorrow ( I was meant to run but have a foot injury:( ) Ah well; handing out fruit is fun too! Have a great weekend every one and stay strong.

Sue, I hope you have fun tomorrow! Sounds like you had good things to eat today-way to go!!! :D

I went out to dinner on only day 2 and I was nervous BUT...I had a garden salad and water LMBO...bland..salt and peppered it and squeezed lime on it because I was just lost as to what was ok at this point. NO WAY was I going to take a chance on messing up.

QUESTION: I got a pork roast to put in crock pot just so I can eat meat-add to a salad type thing. I will make it then freeze it in small portions for ease. What an I add to the crockpot for flavor? (again I say, I am no cook and all spices and herbs are alien to me.)

Another question lol-almond butter is ok? I am afraid to have it because I may over do it. I'm a bit lost on what is ok as far as nuts go. I will check the book asap. Off to work now. :blink:

Lisa - I'm 99.9% sure nut butters (aside from peanut butter) are technically allowed. I suppose if you treat it like a snack (like I admittedly did), it's not the best choice...but it's also not not allowed. I saw it here and elsewhere too, but I can't remember where hehe.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Congrats to everyone on day 2! 

Just started today! I tried before but because of crazy work travel schedule, I ended up falling off the wagon. I thought it might be a good idea to get some virtual support on here! Never used a forum before but I've been following what a strong Whole30 community there is and I think it is key to success! Good luck everyone and sending positive vibes from Egypt :)

Sue, I hope you have fun tomorrow! Sounds like you had good things to eat today-way to go!!! :D

I went out to dinner on only day 2 and I was nervous BUT...I had a garden salad and water LMBO...bland..salt and peppered it and squeezed lime on it because I was just lost as to what was ok at this point. NO WAY was I going to take a chance on messing up.

QUESTION: I got a pork roast to put in crock pot just so I can eat meat-add to a salad type thing. I will make it then freeze it in small portions for ease. What an I add to the crockpot for flavor? (again I say, I am no cook and all spices and herbs are alien to me.)

Another question lol-almond butter is ok? I am afraid to have it because I may over do it. I'm a bit lost on what is ok as far as nuts go. I will check the book asap. Off to work now. :blink:

Hi Lisa, I wanted to share my favorite pork roast recipe from Nom Nom Paleo called Kalua Pig YUM. I am not sure if you have access to paleo bacon (they sell a sugar free bacon at Whole Foods or online at wellness meats. This is so delicious and makes a lot of leftovers which I am a fan of! Otherwise just season with sea salt and maybe some rosemary and sage.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

Almond butter is compliant, as are nuts - just go easy on them though as they can be a FWOB for a lot of people and can cause digestive stress when you go overboard on them. Nuts are a fat on whole30.

Obviously snacking is discouraged so if you're finding the need to snack you need to up the size of your meals.

Day 3 is coming to a close! I have felt pretty energetic today but now that it's getting later (I know I'm old when I consider 8:30 pm late) I am starting to feel kind of beat. I read in the "what to expect" that this is fairly normal for the first few days, so I'm not worrying too much. Tonight for dinner I made these buffalo chicken lettuce wraps from Practical Paleo that I loved before Whole 30. Easy and tasty! I managed to avoid snacks and non-compliant drinks at my mom and dad's house and we enjoyed a beautiful afternoon by their pool, so overall it was a good day! Hope everyone's feeling good!

Archived