Do I really have to eat a post-workout meal?

zellavi

I workout close enough to breakfast that I don't really need to fit a pre workout snack in before I workout, but do I really have to eat something afterwards? I could understand doing so for high-intensity exercise, or weightlifting, but I am swimming, and its not all that strenuous right now. Plus, I can only eat so much meat before my body is like 'Nope, no more'.

Suggestions for what I should do?

I swim almost every day right after breakfast.  I couldn't eat another meal before I jump in the pool because I eat 3-4 eggs with fish or meat, 3 cups of vegetables and good dietary fats.  I don't ever eat eggs without meat or fish.  I have a truck driver special breakfast every day.   I don't do pre/post meals....not really called snacks but mini-meals.    Are you hungry after swimming?  I swim for 1.5 hours at a time... by the time I get home,  it's about time to fix lunch for everyone. I eat more fish, meat, fowl....vege, good dietary fats, some fruit.   Supper - Wash, rinse, repeat.

Three complete/template meals  work just fine for me.   I don't snack inbetween meals either, at all...like never. :lol: 

If you find yourself snacking in the evenings,  I would add in that post swimming mini meal. Try fish instead of meat if you're getting burnt out on too much meat every day.  

• Moderators

Actually, you should eat a pre-WO meal. It doesn't have to be large. One boiled egg, or some olives, something to signal to your body that you are beginning your day would be best.

How close after your workout do you eat your breakfast? If it's not a strenuous or long workout you don't have to eat a post WO meal, as long as your breakfast/Meal 1 is pretty soon after your workout. Within an hour, max. Within a half hour is better.

I eat breakfast before working out, not after. Less than an hour before working out.

This is good news.

Yes. If you are recovering well and not snacking, I think you are fine. If you notice muscle soreness or are hungry despite 3 template meals per day, consider adding some protein with an optional starchy carb after your swim.

What missmary said is what's happening to me. I eat a reasonable breakfast eggs + meat + veg + a slice of baked sweet potato before I go to water exercise. That means I'm eating around 7:30, but I'm finding I'm famished by 11. So, do I add more food at breakfast, or do I eat right after I finish at the gym, which ends up being 945 or so, and then eat lunch at normal lunchtime? This is the first time I'm making a concerted effort to get healthy movement in every day and it's corresponding with my W30 so I want to form the best habits/routine. 

tl;dr: Eating at 7:30, starving at 11, working out in between. Am I the perfect candidate for a post-wo meal? 

Archived