Stomach Pain!

I'm on day 11 and have been developing increasingly intense stomach pain after eating and now all day since day 9.  I am afraid to eat again since it gets worse every time I do.  I had the same thing happen about 5 years ago when I was eating avocados every day and suddenly developed an allergy to them.  The pain is also accompanied by low grade nausea.  In the past, that ultimately lead to me vomiting up everything I ate and bed ridden with stomach pain.  Drs were no help and diagnosed me with gastritis(aka a stomach ache).  I suspect maybe this is caused by the coconut milk in my coffee and other coconut products I am consuming.  I also have diarrhea.  I expected that, based on the timeline, but this pain has taken me down.  Is this normal-ish at this point, or should I cut out coconut or maybe something else?

• Moderators

A mild tummy ache is normal. Pain is not normal. If eating coconut is new for you, by all means stop eating it. In fact, remove new foods and focus your eating on things you have eaten for years. Surely you will be able to eat potatoes, broccoli, green beans? When you feel better, you can try reintroducing one food at a time until you find what is causing trouble. 

You say coconut is not new, but is anything else new?

Maybe it still is the coconut. Sometimes intolerances can develop where they didn't exist before, as you unfortunately discovered with avocado. I actually haven't been able to eat brocolli for about 10 years. It gives me severe stomach pain. But no other vegetable does.

Are you eating a lot of raw or cruciferous veg - onion, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts etc...? Or nuts? These are notorious for causing digestive distress.....

If you post a few days worth of food/liquid intake we could take a look and see if anything jumps out.

I feel for you Bugga. My pain started on day 2. Right side extending to the back everytime I eat. I searched the forums and got a digestive enzyme yesterday. I hope it goes away soon because like you I'm afraid to eat. I have followed weight watchers for years with no issues. I am doing this to hopefully get to the root of skin problems but I am afraid a created another problem. Thinking maybe I should stop (day 5) but not sure if the pain will go away,

Gomezcamp, might be worth an evaluation for gallbladder issues. And for Bugga as well. Gb-related pain could be triggered (in the short term) by increase in fat intake, with SAD as a likely root cause.

What made me think of this is your saying it is extending to your back. That's where my gallbladder pain was.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, whatever the cause.

Yeah, figured it was gallbladder. Wondering if it would calm down if I went back to a lowfat diet or did I wake a monster?

From what I've read (and I'm not an expert) the lowfat diet is what contributes to gallbladder problems. The digestive enzymes should help your body digest the fat but if the ship has sailed on your gallbladder you might need medical intervention. Hard to say.

This article might help answer questions about Paleo/Whole30 and gallbladder issues. Keep in mind it is not a Whole9/30 article - http://balancedbites.com/2012/12/faqs-how-can-i-eat-paleo-without-a-gallbladder.html

I've now eliminated coconut and I am still having pain after meals. Here's a few days worth of my food:

Day 11:

M1: Two eggs fried in ghee, kimch,i and coffee with coconut milk and ghee

M2: Monkey Salad with almond butter and cacao nibs, romaine lettuce, turkey taco meat (made with zucchini, carrots, potatoes, and red onions), plantain chips, homemade mayo, and salsa

M3: Roasted salmon and green beans and more turkey taco meat with mayo, salsa and plaintain chips.

Day 12:

M1:Sweet potato, red pepper, red onion, asparagus, smoked salmon and two eggs.  Half a cup of coffee blended with cashews (I did't drink the whole thing because I had an allergic reaction to the cashews)

M2: romaine lettuce, turkey taco meat, plantain chips, homemade mayo, and salsa.  Raspberries

M3:Cucumbers, baba ghanouj, garlic potatoes with tahini, chicken tawook, romaine, garlic dressing

Day 13:

M1: Sweet potato, red pepper, red onion, spinach, chicken sausage and 2 eggs. Coffee blended with hazelnuts and ghee with another allergic reaction to the hazelnuts

M2: A larabar and some raspberry seltzer because my stomach hurt too badly to eat a meal

M3: Grilled salmon, roasted vegetables, a salad with oil and vinegar

Day 14:

M1:  2 scrambled eggs, spinach, caramelized onions, a peach, and black coffee with cinnamon

M2: Turkey taco meat with mayo, salsa, and plantain chips

M3: Grilled romaine, shrimp, tomatoes, and potatoes with rosted green chili dressing, a peach, and a cup of herbal tea

I've now eliminated coconut and I am still having pain after meals. Here's a few days worth of my food:

Day 11:

M1: Two eggs fried in ghee, kimch,i and coffee with coconut milk and ghee

M2: Monkey Salad with almond butter and cacao nibs, romaine lettuce, turkey taco meat (made with zucchini, carrots, potatoes, and red onions), plantain chips, homemade mayo, and salsa

M3: Roasted salmon and green beans and more turkey taco meat with mayo, salsa and plaintain chips.

Day 12:

M1:Sweet potato, red pepper, red onion, asparagus, smoked salmon and two eggs.  Half a cup of coffee blended with cashews (I did't drink the whole thing because I had an allergic reaction to the cashews)

M2: romaine lettuce, turkey taco meat, plantain chips, homemade mayo, and salsa.  Raspberries

M3:Cucumbers, baba ghanouj, garlic potatoes with tahini, chicken tawook, romaine, garlic dressing

Day 13:

M1: Sweet potato, red pepper, red onion, spinach, chicken sausage and 2 eggs. Coffee blended with hazelnuts and ghee with another allergic reaction to the hazelnuts

M2: A larabar and some raspberry seltzer because my stomach hurt too badly to eat a meal

M3: Grilled salmon, roasted vegetables, a salad with oil and vinegar

Day 14:

M1:  2 scrambled eggs, spinach, caramelized onions, a peach, and black coffee with cinnamon

M2: Turkey taco meat with mayo, salsa, and plantain chips

M3: Grilled romaine, shrimp, tomatoes, and potatoes with rosted green chili dressing, a peach, and a cup of herbal tea

Given that you've had an allergic reaction to both hazelnuts & cashews I'd suggest cutting out ALL nuts to see if that helps (monkey salad whilst compliant isn't really the most nutritional of food items so I'd suggest you cut that out anyways!) - and quite possibly the plantains, if only because I've seen others report GI distress after eating them.

Hope you see some relief soon.

• Administrators

Bugga, to second what jmcbn says, nuts are highly disruptive to some folks, you could be one of them. You also seem to be eating a lot of onion, you might consider cutting down on that as well as onions can be hard on the gut also...especially if they are raw.

Archived