Need help with non refrigerate meals

Kmlynne

I need help!

Next week my DD has her surgery and I am sudden,y realizing that I will need to pack at least 6-8 "meals".

Here is the catch... Kinda hard to walk into a hospital and sit in waiting rooms all day with a cooler. I have no idea if the hospital has covered parking (probably not) so keeping a cooler in the car really isn't a viable option. I have a large lunch bag that will hold three meals on ice, but the ice packs probably won't last more than a day. I really don't want to visit the cafeteria and risk that. Leaving the hospital for a meal is not an option (it's my baby after all) and the hospital is too far away for friends or family to bring me anything.

The only things that I can think of taking to eat that can stay at room temp for two+days are raw veggies. Now, I don't mind eating raw veg for all those meals, but what about PROTEINS?

What's a girl to do?

Here is a blog post that Melissa and Dallas did about traveling and packing food in a cooler--http://whole30.com/2011/07/whats-in-your-cooler/this will probably give you some hints and a place to start. Is your daughter in a Children's hospital or a regular hospital? I have spent a lot of time in Children's hospitals--my daughter has had 16 reconstructive surgeries, so I know how it can be!! 

At the Children's hospitals I have been at, they have refrigerator space for families to stock small amounts of food. Barring that, what about canned fish, jars of olives, raw veggies, beef jerky... you MIGHT be able to get hard boiled or poached eggs at the cafeteria for breakfast, and they may have a decent salad bar--bring your own dressings though! And even if you are not at a Children's hospital, maybe see if the nurses can tuck a few things into the cooler there at the nurses station for you? Can you check before you go--do you have time to do that? (If you were closer I would bring food to you!) 

• Moderators

If you have a large cooler, it's totally possible to pack it with lots of ice, so even if you're not in a covered garage it should stay cool for 2 days.

Barring that, I would expect the cafeteria has fountain drinks including an ice machine -- you could replenish your large lunch bag using that perhaps?

• Moderators

I stayed with my mother in the hospital for 3 days last week. I brought canned tuna and canned fruit with my own can opener, fork, and spoon. I supplemented by eating parts of my mother's meals that she did not eat. And I went to Burger King and Wendy's when my sister was there a few times (even though I was there to provide her a break). I might have tried harder to get more good food, but figured I would survive some burger buns and rice for 3 days. I am sad to say that hospital food is generally nothing I would want to eat if I were sick and trying to recover. And the hospital's idea of an appropriate diet for a diabetic is awful.

HIs your daughter in a Children's hospital or a regular hospital? I have spent a lot of time in Children's hospitals--my daughter has had 16 reconstructive surgeries, so I know how it can be!! 

Spinspin - sorry to hear about your daughter's surgeries!  What an ordeal!  I will keep her in my prayers :)  Hopefully this will be a one time (although extensive) surgery.  If it were in the hospital where I work (I'm a nurse), I would feel so much better and know the ins and outs.  When the hospital called for her pre-registration, I asked about a pt/family fridge and was told "no", but got the distinct impression that they really weren't sure.  I won't even know what floor she will be staying on until the evening when she gets out of the OR.  

Thanks for the offer of bringing me food  :P I just love the support we find in this group!

Archived