Finished my first W30 and lost some stubborn weight

Sophsmom

Finished today and feel great. I lost 10 pounds but I made sure to eat at a deficit so that would happen. I'm obese so weight loss was doctor ordered. This way of eating was literally a 180 for me. I've been meeting with a dietician each week and had several appointments with her before the w30 so I was as prepared as possible.

My GERD went away pretty quickly. My sleeping is better. I'm not as puffy in the face. I wake up before the alarm. And, I learned to cook, which is huge. I have like 10 new Paleo cookbooks to start going through.

I missed cream and sweet and low in my coffee everyday, so that comes back tomorrow. But that's all I missed big time. My sugar dragon never went away, so that will remain a battle for me. And I missed cheese every once in a while.

But I plan on staying 90 percent Paleo, just that cream in my coffee. It has been expensive for me, but I'll look for ways to cut the costs because I don't want to go back to eating cheap grains and processed food.

Like others have said, the biggest thing is that I actually finished the challenge. I never thought I could.

I missed cream and sweet and low in my coffee everyday, so that comes back tomorrow. 

oh honey, please don't. I'm so glad you had such great success on the program, don't turn back. keep moving forward.

edit to add: if you must, at least test cream alone and sweet and low alone. Most artificial sweeteners taste awful once you stop consuming them for a while, and it would be good to know if you react to one or there other.

I finished my Whole30 today. I am bummer because I stuck diligently to everything and lost zero inches and zero pounds. I also did not lower my cholesterol. so what now? really bummed!

Sorry you're disappointed in your results. Did you experience any improvements (e.g., energy, sleep, skin, emotions)? There could be any number of factors at play here.

May I suggest you start with creating a new post in the Troubleshooting section?http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/Include 2-3 days worth of typical meals for you, daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep, exercise, level of stress and whether you have any medical history that could impact results.

I had to make sure that I ate at a calorie deficit or else I wouldn't have lost the weight. The meal template, a palm size of this, a thumb size of that, means nothing to me. I'd be skinny if it did.

So I worked with a dietician leading up to the w30 and we worked out calorie counts for a lot of meals ahead of time. This helped so much as I have major portion distortion and it made the w30 much more enjoyable. We also met each week during the 30 days so I could tweak anything.

For some reason focusing on weight loss is kind of taboo on these boards as some believe it may just happen organically if you do the w30 or that your body will just "release the weight" when it's ready. But after spending 8 weeks with a dietician, you learn the science behind weight loss and how there are numbers involved, whether you want to accept that or not. Our bodies are complicated creatures, but I can tell you for me, nothing helped until I worked out the numbers with my dietician, figured out how many calories I could eat and stuck to it. It took weeks of trying different things, but we eventually settled on a calorie count that has served me well.

I suspect the mods will jump on this post but just keep in mind that this worked for me and that's all that matters.

I suspect the mods will jump on this post but just keep in mind that this worked for me and that's all that matters.

Fulfilling expectations. Here's my take: you don't know if the whole30 would have worked without calorie restriction because you haven't tried it. I don't know if you have tried calorie restriction without using the whole30 guidelines on what to eat and what not to eat, but I have. I did, for YEARS, and I can tell you without any doubt that calorie restriction alone does not result in predictable weight loss no matter how rigorous and compliant one might be in carefully weighing and measuring and counting intake and expenditures. I have spreadsheets with months and months of 100% compliance to prove it.

I would argue that the whole30 + calorie counting worked for you in spite of the calorie counting not because of it. Trust me, I am really really glad the whole30 worked for you, but I would still encourage you to work on a lifestyle that works without that burden.

Missmary, I knew somebody would argue this even though it's my experience... I would have never lost weight on the W30 without calorie restriction, not a pound. I've been around the dieting block enough times to know this. It's a fact. Just accept this, please. I made it work for me my way. And it's the only way it would have worked. Again, that is a fact and my truth. Respect that we all come to this from different places and have to make it our own. If a whole30 meal template ever worked for me I'd be thin. But it doesn't. Calorie restriction worked for me combined with eating nutrient dense food. I needed both in play. Again, this is how it had to be for me. Congrats to everyone for getting through the challenge in their own way.

• Moderators

Missmary, I knew somebody would argue this even though it's my experience... I would have never lost weight on the W30 without calorie restriction, not a pound. I've been around the dieting block enough times to know this. It's a fact. Just accept this, please. I made it work for me my way. And it's the only way it would have worked. Again, that is a fact and my truth. Respect that we all come to this from different places and have to make it our own. If a whole30 meal template ever worked for me I'd be thin. But it doesn't. Calorie restriction worked for me combined with eating nutrient dense food. I needed both in play. Again, this is how it had to be for me. Congrats to everyone for getting through the challenge in their own way.

Everyone is welcome to do with their own bodies as they choose. If you're happy with calorie restriction combined with eating nutrient dense food, then good for you.

I just want to make clear for other readers who perhaps are new to Whole 30 and stumbling upon this thread that while you found one way to lose weight over the course of 30 days, you fundamentally undermined the spirit of the Whole 30 and we certainly don't recommend that. You're robbing yourself of the chance to discover the real gold of the program that way, which is so much more than weight loss.

Like I said in my original post, weight loss was doctors orders which w30 says trumps all else. So it had to be my first priority.

I just hope that anybody who needs to lose weight and wants to do the w30 knows that you can do both quite easily. My weight loss was pretty effortless because of the work and prep I did prior to the w30. So I never under minded the spirit of the w30 at all. I spent my 30 days 100 percent on plan in every way. Never weighed or measured a thing. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

Everyone should be entitled to make this challenge their own, especially if they have medical conditions, including obesity. You can still do the W30 while listening to your doctors and taking care of your condition and be proud that you finished it. I would hate for someone to read some of the comments to my post and think they can't do the w30 because they have special needs. With some advanced prep work, you really can.

Good luck to everyone! I'm off to start my second w30. Having done it once, i hope it's easier. I may keep the cream in my coffee now that I know it doesn't bother me, but we'll see.

• Moderators

Again, for the new folks, if you're including cream in your coffee, you're not doing a Whole30. There's a lot of misinformation out there we'd like to correct.

You're hilarious. You really can't let this go.

Cream is a no-no for sure. But I sure did miss it. Of all the changes, that remained the hardest one for the whole 30 days. I have to see how long I can go without it. But so far, day 1 has been great! If I can do this, anyone can. Be your own cheerleader the whole time.

• Administrators

You're hilarious. You really can't let this go.

Easy now.  She is just doing her job.  Although her comment is a result of something you posted, the idea is to make sure that anyone coming along has the full and unadulterated Whole30 information.  You'll notice we do it in all the threads where there is conflicting or confusing information.

From someone in the middle of her second W30, another note for newbies reading this thread: the reason I am overall healthy, happy with my relationship with food and my body (also fairly easily maintaining my shape at an age when that is anything but the norm in the US) is because I’ve gone as much as I can in the direction of health and nourishment, and W30 has been a huge part of that. In other words, it’s not that I’m at a good weight and therefore don’t have to count calories; it’s that I don’t count calories/restrict my food and therefore find it easy to be a good weight.

The feeling of freedom when you learn to trust your hunger is enormous. There are still adjustments to make and things to experiment with, but when we learn to actually trust the basic mechanisms of our body, we can experience a shift that’s hard to put into words and is very rare in today’s society. Whole30 is a unique combination of strictness (re: what we eat) and an opportunity to really, fully embrace nourishment. I don’t think that we can find that magic if we’re restricting our eating in some way; the two attitudes are mutually exclusive.

Props to Sophsmom for finding a path that worked for her, and I was so happy to read of her results. She’s justifiably proud of the changes that have happened for her. However, I hope that any new folks reading this realize that there’s a world of difference between counting calories and the incredible transformation that W30 can facilitate.

You are so right. I agree with you 100 percent. For the first time in many many years, I was able to just make good food and eat it. I didn't have to worry about anything else and was confident that what I was eating was the best that food has to offer.

I've learned so much in these last few months about my relationship with food and have been able to relax and just enjoy it. I'm hoping that I can keep learning from the cues my body sends me and reach a place where eating becomes more intuitive. Being obese makes it tough for me to always trust my body, but the prep work helped me learn enough to know what I need.

Thanks for all the good comments on here. Nobody needs validation, but it's nice to get it sometimes.

You are so right. I agree with you 100 percent. For the first time in many many years, I was able to just make good food and eat it. I didn't have to worry about anything else and was confident that what I was eating was the best that food has to offer.

I've learned so much in these last few months about my relationship with food and have been able to relax and just enjoy it. I'm hoping that I can keep learning from the cues my body sends me and reach a place where eating becomes more intuitive. Being obese makes it tough for me to always trust my body, but the prep work helped me learn enough to know what I need.

Thanks for all the good comments on here. Nobody needs validation, but it's nice to get it sometimes.

This is so nice to read!  I hope you check in every once in a while and let us all know how it's going.

Archived