WholeDave

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 - and away we go. Clean W30 day, managed to juggle work madness, not having any prep, and exhaustion. Breakfast was simple chicken/egg/onion/chilli fry-up on on a bed of lettuce (not exactly my fave greens to start the day!), lunch was steak out at a business lunch, and dinner was a bit of pork and greens. Bed early.

This morning feeling better already - 3 egg fry-up with chicken, chilli, onion, kaffir lime leaves on.... lettuce.

Probably need to go shopping lol

Day 2 - ticking the boxes - another clean day. Breakfast is the key meal of the day for me - get that right and the rest of it seems to flow. Unfortunately I think I'm getting sick so need to read up on what to focus on food wise to help me get better as quickly as possible.

Day 3 - big breakfast of chicken breast, onion, chilli, piperki, tomato, mushroom, Chinese broccoli, one egg. Lunch was minestrone and dinner a pork stir fry. Snacks - apple, banana and a mandarine, plus a few dates. Probably too much food but no bad stuff.

Day 4 - feeling pretty poorly. Not quite a full cold but stuffy nose, headache, and body aching. Have a Nom Nom Paleo Saag Gosht lamb curry on the go with cauliflower rice for dinner (after more minestrone for lunch and a 2 egg chicken fry up this morning).

Also have a bone broth on the stove for tomorrow. It's been -6C here in the mornings so it will go down a treat!

Day 6 - woke up with a headache and had to have some Panadol. Cooked a great fry-up for breakfast which made me feel vaguely better and then went for a two hour walk up the coast. Fantastic exploring and even had a swim even though it's June. Platter of fresh food for lunch, and now I'm waiting for a pickled pork roast to cook. No alcohol, no sugar and I'm back on the program. Drank plenty of water during the day.

Proud that I have shaken off my failure yesterday. I decided not to beat myself up or use it as an excuse to give up. I pushed through feeling like crap and tonight I'm feeling a lot better. Also moved a heap of firewood this afternoon - reckon I'll be suffering for it tomorrow!! :)

Day 7 - great day foodwise. Solid breakfast of bacon, eggs & mushrooms, then a platter of leftover pickled pork roast (how good was that!!), lots of salad & olives. A couple of prunes and an apple late afternoon, and then Mexican mince wrapped in lettuce leaves with tomato salsa, coriander and lime. Delish!

Day 8 - Another great day. Fry up this morning with garlic, yellow pepper, chilli, bacon, mushrooms, eggs & parsley. Lunch of salad and meats. Couple of dates during the afternoon. Dinner coming up is a roast chicken with garlic, coconut oil, rosemary, salt & lemon rind under the skin, with baby carrots, pumpkin and green beans. No grain, sugar, dairy (avoided the cheese at lunch), or alcohol.

Day 9 - morning. Still feeling the effects of whatever this upper respiratory/virus thing is - can't seem to shake it although it's not getting any worse. Have been walking and hiking over the long weekend which has been excellent - not sure what I'm going to do when I leave the coast and go back to -6C mornings!

I've been focusing on my photography and poetry this weekend which has been great - excellent source of sustenance for the soul! I'm still contemplating taking up a meditation class although I haven't quite got there yet.

Breakfast this morning I think will be leftover chicken and eggs with greens and whatever else I can find.

Day 10 - a blur. Massive work day and into the night. Prepped a decent fry up brekkie, threw together a very basic tuna salad for lunch, a couple of dates, then a couple of whole 30 looking bites at a work function, followed by a power outage at home, then a dash up to the local for a soda water and t-bone. All very bizarre and as I said, a blur. But.... ongoing and continued success.

Day 11 - woke up at 4:30am with a raging sore throat - could hardly swallow. The lurgy has finally got me. Asian chicken stir fry for breakfast, cup of bone broth, tuna salad, and osso bucco for dinner plus a couple of prunes. Very clean considering how crap I'm feeling.

Day 12 - chicken & egg fry up this morning with paprika, chilli flakes, garlic, yellow pepper, tomato, mushroom, spinach, parsley, lemon. Pretty damn good!

Had another day off work - feeling like crap, can't talk except in whispers. Finally got to the doc this afternoon who gave me a script for antibiotics but only if I need it.

Meanwhile during the day I had a cup of bone broth, pork spare ribs and salad for lunch, leftover osso bucco with roast sweet potato and broccolini for dinner and a couple of prunes. Copious water, 3 black coffees, a fresh lemon tea, plus extra vitamin c.

And soon, off to bed, hopefully to sleep far better than last night (woke at 10:30pm, 12, 2am, 4am, 5:30, sigh...).

The one good thing - I know that as soon as I get through to the other side of this virus, I'm going to be feeling awesome. The Whole30 program really is easier the 2nd time around - you know what to expect. My goal, and challenge, is to keep going and turn it, ultimately, into a Whole90. That would take be right through to the first day of Spring. That feels like a great goal to have.

Day 13 - finally coming out the other side of this virus. Throat has eased and my cough hasn't got worse. All this healthy living is working!!

Breakfast of bacon, eggs and tomatoes. Pork knuckle and leftover sweet potato for lunch, cup of bone broth, a couple of dates. Dinner will be Whole30 fish and chips in coconut oil.

Another big sleep and I'll be ready to take on the world!!

Day 14 - still not out of the woods - very little energy and my cough still hurts badly. But I'm definitely improving.

Standard fry up this morning with chicken, roast Sunday lunch of pork belly, potatoes, little carrots and beans. A couple of dates and dried figs. Cooked up a monster pot of minestrone and had a bowl of that for dinner.

I've officially had a completely clean weekend - no grain, sugar, dairy or alcohol.

Tomorrow marks half a Whole30, or to be more precise, 1/6th or 16.7% of my Whole90. Feeling strong and positive.

Day 15 - morning. Breakthrough. Awesomeness from W30 has overtaken virus in order of impact. Classic fry up this morning:

Extra virgin olive oil, Bulls eye chilli chopped finely, garlic clove crushed, yellow bull pepper diced, leftover chicken breast pieces, tomato chopped, mushroom chopped, 2 pasture raised eggs kept intact during cooking, bunch of Chinese Broccoli chopped, 1/2 fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper.

The end of the bowl - chilli, egg yolk, lemon juice is absolutely delicious!

Day 15 - night. It's been a big day but I'm noticing my attention, memory, energy and confidence are so much better. A lot calmer too which is a bonus.

Minestrone for lunch, and salmon, pumpkin and broccolini for dinner.

A couple figs and dates during the day. My tummy has been a bit upset so I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it?

The figs and dates could well be causing the upset tummy. Dates are about as close to candy as you can get on Whole30 and dried fruit can be tough to digest. If you're eating them daily there could be a cumulative effect.

As an aside fruit shouldn't be eaten on it's own as a snack as it's feeding that sugar dragon - stick with eating your fruit with, or as part of, a main meal.

Day 16 - get out of my way! Energy to burn, cough receding, focused, powering my way through the day. Regular fry-up for breakfast, cup of bone broth, minestrone for lunch. No figs or dates :) Water, water, water, a couple of black coffees.

Dinner will be a goat curry on cauliflower rice with greens ! Looking forward to something a bit different.

Tummy is now good. Getting plenty of sleep. Not enough exercise, but that will come over time (and not helped by the fact it's cold and raining!).

I know, excuses, excuses :)

Day 16 - evening. Travelling tomorrow for work, back in 24 hours. The work dinner tomorrow night is at a pizza restaurant. Sigh. Packed my emergency tuna and avocado plus some dried fruit. Anything else out there people recommend for work travel?

Day 17 - travel day. At the airport ready to fly out. Tuna and a few bits and pieces in my bag. Read through the Whole30 travel approach - would seem keeping the stress to a minimum is the goal. Reckon I can do that.

Today has been another solid simple day - standard fry up, bone broth, minestrone. I'll need to watch the boredom factor but so far so good. Airport - bit of salad, black coffee and water. I won't have anything on the plane and will work out the food situation at the other end. If it's a bit of seafood and salad I'll be happy with that.

My general capacity to focus and absorb complex challenges has increased exponentially. Brilliant!

Day 18 - tough. Work conference. Decent breakfast of bacon and eggs and a tomato, lunch of some lamb and salad, and dinner of emergency ration tuna and salad. Hungry but survived. No afternoon/morning tea, bit of fruit and quite a few black coffees.

Plane trips? Just water. Winner!!

Day 19 - breakfast. Bring it on!! GIVE ME FOOD! :)

Fry-up - chicken, eggs, onion, garlic, ginger, yellow bull pepper, little tomatoes, little mushroom, coriander. Black coffee.

Feel like I'm seriously creating inroads now - not bloated, still overweight but losing it, energy levels high, look brighter fresher. Just need to keep a sustainable path into the future. At the end of the day I will be 21.1% through my Whole90.

Not that I'm a numbers nerd at all :)

Archived