Spring into May Post Whole 30 Log

lori_vt

May 30 = Day 30

I felt so good this morning, and I am trying to figure out why.  Reminds me of when I went off the bodybuilding competition diet - and I ate everything I could just because I COULD.  If I'm not in the W30, then technically I can eat anything I want - and yet it's different this time.  I had a mini beer last night (wanted it on Saturday not Sunday) and felt okay about it.  Today I decided to actually do the re-intro the way it's suggested.  I had a little cheese on my eggs this morning, had a Fage 2% yogurt, fruit, and almonds at lunch (that was kind of a shaky "meal"), and I'm having veal T-bone steak and steamed baby spinach with a little mashed sweet potato for dinner and a half a serving size of Talenti Gelato. 

I have never done an official re-intro.  I intended to after my first two W30's, but I simply couldn't fight the cravings/temptations whatever.  I went back to eating my usual way.  I don't have food intolerances that I'm aware of - except an inability to stop when eating tortilla chips or bread.  But this time my W30 was really uninspirational.  I figured I was learning more about my relationship with food.  I started drinking my coffee black instead of using coconut oil and coconut cream.  And I stopped having a little wedge of fresh coconut with meals, because it was too much like a sweet treat/dessert.  So I was compliant, but bored with food for nearly all 30 days. 

Today, I feel good.  Happy, content.  Still drank my coffee black.  Still no treats, well, except I'm having gelato tonight.  Maybe I got something on a deeper level this time.  I'm planning to start up again after a couple of months, and maybe even do a W60.  I want to be able to enjoy beer and ice cream this summer, so I don't want to set myself up to fail.

This completes Day 1 of dairy re-intro.  Not changing anything else at this point - I'll see how things go tomorrow.  Already feeling a little gassy.

Hi Lori! Awesome - we did it! 

I made one final post on May Whole 30 and said g'bye. ... G'bye Whole 30 HELLO Reintro!

I too feel good. Finally over the sick, my tummy feels better (not perfect, but better), my energy's better (not full strength, but better) and I'm stating again in this thread - I am reintroing dairy, nuts, paleo breads and pancakes and muffins and honey (in small amount). 

One small comment, Lori, about reintro - it has to be very clear, otherwise if you do have a reaction, how do you know whether it's the beer or the dairy or sugar in the dairy? Reintroing is almost harder than W30 because it's so easy and tempting to have a treat to "celebrate".

Also about the official reintro - I don't see the logic in adding the reintro food in every meal. I don't eat cheese or yogurt in every meal. In fact, if I did, I couldn't tolerate it. I know that. So I'm reintroing cheese/dairy by having it for lunch and dinner today and tomorrow (and last night close to midnight omg so good). Same with everything else. 

And I'll say again, for the month of June, I'm staying away from alcohol. Nicht, nada, neine. And any kind of refine sugar, even if it's in paleo sweets. A very small amount of dark chocolate allowed (like once a week) - esp. since I'll be camping the third week in June. I'l have my kombucha and a bit of chocolate and nuts and paleo muffins and yogurt and cheese and I'll be happy (hopefully).

Maybe not who knows? Maybe cheese will not be ok right now. ... that would be a HUGE bummer, but also enlightening.

And it ain't forever. I'd rather heal and feel happy than eat cheese and feel crappy.

So far, so good though. Today/tomorrow/tuesday cheese/dairy and Wednesday back to W30, Thursday and Friday nuts. Saturday W30. 

Hope to see more peeps in this reintro thread!!

I'm in on this thread.  It has helped me on this journey.  Thank you Lori for setting this up.

Amandamarie, if you are reading this, I wanted you to know I started taking gym classes about 2 months ago and what a difference in my body. For the past year I was just doing it on my own and the difference in taking the classes is tremendous.  I too like the camaraderie and the push I need to go stronger.  I take a body pump, yoga, Pilates, it's different each time.  I find it gets all aspects of my body.  It also helps my depression.  I have been on anti depressants for  over 10 years.  I have tried to get off them, but have not been able to.

I think about trying again, anyway I will stay in touch as I need this 

I got on the scale this morning to check my BMI, and what a joke.  Seriously.  If I didn't know about this problem with the algorithm, and if I was hung up on the numbers, I would have a huge meltdown about it.  I put in my gender, height and age (55), and my BMI came back as 39.5!  HA!  I'm 5'3 and weigh 122.  When I change the age to 25, my BMI went to 25.6.  How is that even possible? 

Thanks for the info about the reintro bronnyd.  I was using this Whole9/Whole30 suggestion about reintro:  http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/  .  I had a 7 oz beer on Saturday night, then did my re-intro with dairy yesterday.  Technically not the correct way to do it at all.  However a HUGE improvement over my previous 2 times, when I lept back into everything - hummus, quinoa, dairy, alcohol, occasional sugar (not including the sugar that's in bacon and other foods).  They recommend a little bit of the intro food at each meal, then 2 days back on W30.  That's what I'm doing now.  Dairy was yesterday, I got gassy in the evening, and my stomach was a little bloated when I went to bed.  This morning I feel a lot better. 

Bfast:  egg roll-up with (compliant) proscuitto, zuke, red pepper, onion and a tablespoon of homemade mayo, small serving of mashed sweet potato and 1 cup of steamed broccoli.

Lunch:  leftover mahi-mahi with gingered carrots, salad with pomegranate balsamic and olive oil

Dinner:  not sure yet...

hey ladies! I'm still doing a whole100, but was unsure if the other thread was just done, so I thought I'd post here.

this was my last post...wondering if anyone has any input?

day 32 for me.. I'm doing a whole100..

Just wanted to say congrats to all of us!!! We DID it!!!

I am super bummed because I weighed yesterday and lost NOTHING. Not one lb. I don't understand this. I cried. So stupid, but I saw how much that number (weight) affects me. I threw my scale in the garbage and I'm going to keep going.

I've been walking several nights a week, and eating almost NO fruit. My pants are big, and I'm sometimes even buying a size smaller. I just don't understand how that can happen and you physically don't lose a single lb.

ARGH - STUPID SD!! (Sugar Dragon, Demon).  I went in to the kitchen to refill my water bottle, and some miserable soul left a half of a Red Velvet cake on the table for all to eat.  One look at it, and I got all excited!  Free food, and sugary deliciousness, right??  Nope.  Instead of taking a piece and consuming it immediately, I looked at it and asked myself, "Do I really want it?"  Mind you, I have never, ever ever in my life stopped to ask myself this question when sugar was on the table.  My first response was "Gross - it's filled with Red Dye (Die), why on earth would I want to put that in my body?", and yet, I cut a piece, put it on a paper plate, covered it with napkins and brought it back to my office.  It sits on a shelf as I type.  Honestly, I am completely twisted up about this.  My SD wishes I would just get on with it and stuff it in my mouth, but my newly discovered healthy self cannot justify eating red dyed food.  This is progress, is it not?

I wanted to post this before I slip up and eat it.  So why is it that I can't throw it in the trash?????

Lori - let someone else eat it. What are your guidelines with sugar during this reintro? It helps to be really clear.

Amanda  and Chillyjilly - I've been seriously thinking of joining 24 hour fitness and taking classes. Ergh. Still thinking about it.

Wholemama - hmm I wonder if you might want to start a new thread for continuation of May W30 into W100 - something like that. If you do, let us know so we can visit and cheer you on! :)

So far so good with dairy reintro. Can't wait to have some 24 hour yogurt later today. :)) Had small amount of manchego cheese with breakfast prosciutto egg cups this morning. OMG so good. With basil and broccol/carrot slaw. 

bronnyd - I have to give some thought to how I want to handle sugar.  Funny - this has never been something I contemplated before.  Not that I consume much sugar, honestly.  Occasional ice cream, occasional sweet treat.  I guess alcohol is the one "sugar" that has been fairly regular for me.  I brew beer... and this is the season where my black raspberries fill my coffers, so I usually brew at least one Black Raspberry Ale, and then freeze some for Black Raspberry Stout.  Last year I did a Black Rasp Heffeweizen that was really awesome.  So - I've got to think about it.  I haven't done much else with the black raspberries because they have so many seeds, and it's time consuming and a bit tedious to strain out those tiny seeds.  It's really easy with the  beer ;)

Time to make dinner, which will be leftover veal t-bone, leftover roasted acorn squash and sauteed brussels sprouts with mediterranean dressing.  And I'm downright hungry.  I was hungry for lunch an hour early, and hungry for dinner an hour early. 

I started adding Diatomaceous Earth to my daily diet, wondering if I have some low-grade parasitic infestation.  Since it doesn't hurt to try it, I figured, why not.  But I have to take it on an empty stomach.  And I usually forget :-(  Maybe that's part of my ravenous hunger??

Whole Mama, please don't weigh yourself, I refuse to , especially now.  everyone is freaking out about their scale weight.

I find exercise has to go hand in hand with what goes in your mouth if you want to be healthy.  A personal trainer told me if you want to drop pounds you have to get your heart rate up to 80% of it's maximum.  If you don't know your max heart rate subtract your age from 220.  then you want to try and work up to 80% of that.  For example , I am 62, so I subtract that from 220 which equals 158.  than I figure 80% of that is about 126.        That's the number I try to work up to and maintain for 30 seconds on, 30 seconds down.  It's called interval training  I do it for 1/2 hour, then cool down 5 mins with a 5 minute warm up.  I purchased an inexpensive heart rate monitor at a sporting goods store and wear it when I work out.

It has made a huge difference in my body changing by pushing my heart rate up.  Google interval training, there all all kinds of ways to train with it, the good news is you don't have to spend an hour doing cardio when you do interval training.

I'm in on this thread.  It has helped me on this journey.  Thank you Lori for setting this up.

Amandamarie, if you are reading this, I wanted you to know I started taking gym classes about 2 months ago and what a difference in my body. For the past year I was just doing it on my own and the difference in taking the classes is tremendous.  I too like the camaraderie and the push I need to go stronger.  I take a body pump, yoga, Pilates, it's different each time.  I find it gets all aspects of my body.  It also helps my depression.  I have been on anti depressants for  over 10 years.  I have tried to get off them, but have not been able to.

I think about trying again, anyway I will stay in touch as I need this 

Chillyjilly I finally hopped on the thread! :) That is so good to hear. I can see that my body has changed, and want my muscle definition back, just toned, not built. Those are the exact classes I am looking at! I want to sign up yesterday, but we are leaving to go camping a week from today so I want to wait until I get back. I am going to try some piyo videos to hold me over until then, but I am not as disciplined when doing it alone. I haven't been strong in about 5 years since I started having babies again, would love to see how it helps with the depression.

I'm not doing a reintro yet. Waiting until I get back from camping. This means I am doing a whole47-ish

I think there are some foods I won't be reintroducing though. I know that I am lactose intolerant (though not as bad if it is cultured dairy), and I know that peanuts make my gut HURT with crazy gas pains.

I am looking forward to not worrying about what my bacon and sausage were cured with. And white rice on sushi date night.

Yesterday I bought rolled dates in unsweetened coconut. No added sugar. It was like chewy candy. I wonder if I really can make sweet fruits my new treats. They are satisfying and I don't get the bingey "I WANT MORE!!!" feeling like when I used to inhale an entire XL symphony bar. Like while camping and everyone is eating smores I can nibble my rolled dates :) I didn't feel like the dates awoke the sugar dragon the way my first bite of a lara bar had.

I know they say Whole30 is NOT a lifestyle, but I am definitely in that uneasy feeling where I don't want to go off of it because I like the way I feel! Hopefully moving into a paleo lifestyle will help.

I am in dinner heaven tonight! Yum!

M1: frittata (spinach, basil, onion, homemade sausage) naval orange

M2: left over curried chicken and vegetables, nectarine

M3: coconut chicken fried in ghee. I dipped chicken breasts in an egg/coconut milk mix, breaded with almond flour/unsweetened coconut/sea salt blend, fried in ghee. Oooooh so good! The roasted asparagus and parsnips were so yummy too, hubs is not home yet and it is so hard not to swipe his serving of parsnips.

post-69476-0-20207700-1433292145_thumb.j

ARGH - STUPID SD!! (Sugar Dragon, Demon).  I went in to the kitchen to refill my water bottle, and some miserable soul left a half of a Red Velvet cake on the table for all to eat.  One look at it, and I got all excited!  Free food, and sugary deliciousness, right??  Nope.  Instead of taking a piece and consuming it immediately, I looked at it and asked myself, "Do I really want it?"  Mind you, I have never, ever ever in my life stopped to ask myself this question when sugar was on the table.  My first response was "Gross - it's filled with Red Dye (Die), why on earth would I want to put that in my body?", and yet, I cut a piece, put it on a paper plate, covered it with napkins and brought it back to my office.  It sits on a shelf as I type.  Honestly, I am completely twisted up about this.  My SD wishes I would just get on with it and stuff it in my mouth, but my newly discovered healthy self cannot justify eating red dyed food.  This is progress, is it not?

I wanted to post this before I slip up and eat it.  So why is it that I can't throw it in the trash?????

Good for you not eating it yet! I would say that if the sugar dragon is taunting you and it is not truly a special occasion to eat that cake, toss it! Just my opinion. I just baked a banana bread for my kids and the smell made my SD stir a little so I ate some nuts and drank some water and am fine. Sometimes if I eat a non sugar when I want sugar, the confusion of getting what I wanted- food in my mouth- but not what I wanted- nuts instead of sugars, stops the craving and it doesn't come back.

hey ladies! I'm still doing a whole100, but was unsure if the other thread was just done, so I thought I'd post here.

this was my last post...wondering if anyone has any input?

day 32 for me.. I'm doing a whole100..

Just wanted to say congrats to all of us!!! We DID it!!!

I am super bummed because I weighed yesterday and lost NOTHING. Not one lb. I don't understand this. I cried. So stupid, but I saw how much that number (weight) affects me. I threw my scale in the garbage and I'm going to keep going.

I've been walking several nights a week, and eating almost NO fruit. My pants are big, and I'm sometimes even buying a size smaller. I just don't understand how that can happen and you physically don't lose a single lb.

Wholemama did you see this link on the other forum we had before this one? I didn't look who posted it. I read it last night, and the precursor to this article. Was a big help. I may have lost on this whole30, but I don't know if I will really lose after this because I plan to start getting stronger. My body composition has sure changed though, and I hope that continues.

Check this out:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

I did not do well today.  Things were going great - had my regular breakfast and felt good.  Yesterday and today were extremely busy at work and I've worked long hours.  This week is stressful, as I have to juggle my two broken cars to get them to the repair shop and borrow my mothers car in the meantime, switching the car seat for my granddaughter three times in one day :(  Thursday is the first day I'll be watching her since before my back surgery. 

So that piece of red velvet cake that I cut for myself, then covered with a paper towel and left on my shelf?  Well that's not a bad strategy at all - I checked it today, and it was all dried out.  I should've just tossed it in the trash.  But no.  I had to go and taste the stupid frosting.  One thing led to another, and I ended up eating 4 mini chocolates.  It reminded me of the secret eating I used to do, and almost an all out binge (except the quantity was miniscule).  Unfortunately it didn't stop there - I got home and finished off the pint of gelato.  I had done so well on my dairy reintro day, having only one measured serving.  But not tonight.  I wolfed it right down.  Then I felt awful.  More emotionally awful than physically.  Or maybe it was 50-50. My stomach feels gross.  I feel really disappointed in myself, until I realize that I truly did learn something more from this W30 about my food relationship, and not having that stuff around or in my body - when I ate like I did today - it made me feel bad.  All over bad.  I guess that's a good thing to finally know without hesitation.  So the good news is I don't have any more gelato in my house.  And I don't have any more mini chocolates at work.  And if I feel absolutely driven to take another piece of cake, I can cover it with a paper towel and forget about it.  When it's dried out, then I can toss it without tasting the frosting.  Lesson learned.

Good news today - in fact, really good news.  I got to run at p/t!!  Someone else might not call it running, but it was great!  My p/t ran alongside me helping me to correct my form, to land softly not slap my feet down, to not reach with my feet, but to push off with the ball of my foot, to not pump with my arms.  It was good to have so much time off running, so I am learning it all again brand new.  And it will be low-impact on my knees and back (Chi running).  It's going to take a lot of practice to get this down.  I am only going to do it every other day, and not on pavement or sidewalks - has to be on a track or gravel or grass.  She said 1-2 minutes "running," 1-2 minutes to correct my form, etc.  On the non-running days, I will be doing ladder agility drills.  I am so happy I had a successful surgery! 

I did not do well today.  Things were going great - had my regular breakfast and felt good.  Yesterday and today were extremely busy at work and I've worked long hours.  This week is stressful, as I have to juggle my two broken cars to get them to the repair shop and borrow my mothers car in the meantime, switching the car seat for my granddaughter three times in one day :(  Thursday is the first day I'll be watching her since before my back surgery. 

So that piece of red velvet cake that I cut for myself, then covered with a paper towel and left on my shelf?  Well that's not a bad strategy at all - I checked it today, and it was all dried out.  I should've just tossed it in the trash.  But no.  I had to go and taste the stupid frosting.  One thing led to another, and I ended up eating 4 mini chocolates.  It reminded me of the secret eating I used to do, and almost an all out binge (except the quantity was miniscule).  Unfortunately it didn't stop there - I got home and finished off the pint of gelato.  I had done so well on my dairy reintro day, having only one measured serving.  But not tonight.  I wolfed it right down.  Then I felt awful.  More emotionally awful than physically.  Or maybe it was 50-50. My stomach feels gross.  I feel really disappointed in myself, until I realize that I truly did learn something more from this W30 about my food relationship, and not having that stuff around or in my body - when I ate like I did today - it made me feel bad.  All over bad.  I guess that's a good thing to finally know without hesitation.  So the good news is I don't have any more gelato in my house.  And I don't have any more mini chocolates at work.  And if I feel absolutely driven to take another piece of cake, I can cover it with a paper towel and forget about it.  When it's dried out, then I can toss it without tasting the frosting.  Lesson learned.

Good news today - in fact, really good news.  I got to run at p/t!!  Someone else might not call it running, but it was great!  My p/t ran alongside me helping me to correct my form, to land softly not slap my feet down, to not reach with my feet, but to push off with the ball of my foot, to not pump with my arms.  It was good to have so much time off running, so I am learning it all again brand new.  And it will be low-impact on my knees and back (Chi running).  It's going to take a lot of practice to get this down.  I am only going to do it every other day, and not on pavement or sidewalks - has to be on a track or gravel or grass.  She said 1-2 minutes "running," 1-2 minutes to correct my form, etc.  On the non-running days, I will be doing ladder agility drills.  I am so happy I had a successful surgery! 

Lori VT I can feel your pain! That is a big thing I am hoping to break, my binging on sweets. I would eat this, then might as well eat this too, and all the other goodies, eat them so they aren't in the house anymore so I can try again tomorrow, but then I would keep bringing them in. I hope you feel stronger after this and have less life-stress to help you out!

Congrats on running! That sounds like some great progress you are making. Very exciting. your p/t sounds great too!

Thanks Mrs. Amanda - I know this forum has a lot of support, and I've read other people's tales of woe after they had a similar experience.  I had everything planned so well - I had my dairy reintro day, then I was going to have 3 days off because I take care of my granddaughter on Thursday, and thought that would be a good day to reintro oats and/or quinoa and maybe one of the "cookies" (graham crackers) I make for her.  All in all, it was dumb for me to gorge myself on all available sugar, but at the same time I felt good about my awareness.  I am going forward with my plan of reintro tomorrow.  Today is clean eating.  My usual breakfast (even when I'm not on W30), stir-fried sweet potatoes, broccoli, kale, onion and jalapeno with 2 eggs.  Lunch will be arugula salad with sardines, and I brought a small amount of nuts and a banana in case I am not satisfied/full after lunch.  Not sure about dinner. 

And yes, my p/t is amazing!  I've been working with her for about 3 years - trying to minimize back pain even as the degeneration was progressing.  So I get to pick up in a much better place because I was stronger before surgery.  I love her :) <3

Chillyjilly - thank you for your insights on interval training! After reading your post, I've been looking in my area for classes and want to start ASAP. So thank you! 

Lori and Amandamarie - omg I'm so with you both about the sugar dragon sweet tooth. Last night I went to a music jam/pot luck and had nothing there, because there was nothing there I could eat. They had a whole table filled with baked treats (and a counter with savory goodies but mostly grain/cheeses I wasn't sure about/lots of potato-veggies-carbs) - one person brought in a chocolate whiskey cake that made me drool on my banjo. ;)  I almost had a small piece but this time, it wasn't hard to say no. There are times when it is hard (hungry, angry, lonely, tired = HALT). That's why I'm being so strict this month - NO sugar for me. 

Amandamarie - the dates in unsweetened coconut sound like a great healthy snack. I'm going to give that a try. I like what you said about it not awakening the bingy sugar dragon but instead was just a nice, healthy treat. And also how you're handling camping trip - I have several planned throughout this summer and people will be roasting marshmallows... maybe I can try roasting a date. :P  :D  I'll be sure to bring treats I can have ... NO SMORES FOR ME! Funny how they're called smores - they make you want to have some more and smore and smore. Yuck!

Lori - RE about experiencing how the sugar dragon affects you, making you "feel bad all over....I guess that's a good thing to finally know without hesitation". YES! If you put it in perspective and glean something from the SD, then you're making the SD your friend, to tame and train. Also CONGRATS on running with p/t and for getting right back on track again. That's inspiring. 

Wholemama - did you throw your scale away - or at least hide it from view? :)  To me, it sounds like you are doing great! Sticking with it, walking several days a week.... keep on!

This morning I'm going to find and register for some kind of exercise class - maybe in a gym or maybe on its own, depending. 

The cheese and yogurt seem to be ok! Nothing yet anyhow - but sometimes there is a "delayed reaction" so I'm going to wait until Friday before introducing mac nuts and almonds and filberts and cashews. I think I'm fine with nuts actually - but in moderation. I can overeat on the nuts as well... just one more small handful. Just one more ... just one more.... like a broken record. So for the record, no nuts after dinner. That used to be my grazing time. I've been eating again a bit later than I'd like and it's tempting the grazing dragon.   :P

I too am finding this forum helpful. Isn't the internet great?  :lol:

bronnyd - I have to give some thought to how I want to handle sugar.  Funny - this has never been something I contemplated before.  Not that I consume much sugar, honestly.  Occasional ice cream, occasional sweet treat.  I guess alcohol is the one "sugar" that has been fairly regular for me.  I brew beer... and this is the season where my black raspberries fill my coffers, so I usually brew at least one Black Raspberry Ale, and then freeze some for Black Raspberry Stout.  Last year I did a Black Rasp Heffeweizen that was really awesome.  So - I've got to think about it.  I haven't done much else with the black raspberries because they have so many seeds, and it's time consuming and a bit tedious to strain out those tiny seeds.  It's really easy with the  beer ;)

Yummmm your homemade beer sounds awesome! I've thought about making my own gluten free beer.... someday when I'm more clear about alcohol. I think it's just something you need to reintroduce like anything else. Like try having one or two on a weekend and then seeing how you feel. Maybe after a few days you can have another during the week.. just clarify it for yourself and stay honest/patient/persistent. I bet your friends looooove your beer! Dang. Someday.... 

So I have not done my re-intro the way I had hoped :(  I took care of my granddaughter yesterday, and ended up going to her house instead of mine because my town was shutting off the water from 9 to 4.  How terribly inconvenient.  I didn't have anything prepared to bring along with me, and then I was stuck with what they had for food for the entire day.  <sigh> Pizza, cheese, a banana and some peanut butter.  I wasn't going to try the unnamed leftovers in the fridge.  Needless to say, I felt awful in the evening, and developed one heck of a headache.  The headache could be related to my car issues too (dropped off my mother's car and picked up the one getting hte head gasket, then rushing home to bring the other one in for exhaust work, but not making it in time, so having to deal with it this morning at 5:00 am).  The cars have caused me - and continue to cause me - a good deal of stress.  Subaru still isn't inspected, still doesn't have the rear-view mirror attached and still smells like gas.  The Volvo got exhaust repaired, but needs 4 tires and needs to see if the codes will reset for catalytic converter and evaporation vent vale in order to pass inspection.  Ugh.  I don't earn enough money to repair these cars, and even less money to afford a monthly car payment.  So stressed-out is how I am. 

Today is a farewell luncheon for one of the lab techs; we'll be going to the Sheraton.  I'm hoping there will be something I can eat that is compliant.  I had salad with 2 eggs and a side of sweet potato nibs for breakfast. That was at 7:30, and I'm hungry already (10:15).  And I still have a headache.  I am hoping this day turns around.  I'm headed to my dad's summer house for the weekend, and it will challenging to eat compliant there as well.  He usually has mini chocolates everywhere, and bowls of nuts and dried fruit left out for grazing.  I don't know what his wife will be preparing, but I'm going to do my best to avoid the things that make me feel crappy.  Because I have now learned that some foods do in fact make me feel crappy.  I don't know how I missed this before.

Hello All

Lori stay awayyyy from the muuuunchiiies. Don't go into the muuunchiiiies... We're like moths near a flame when it comes to dried fruit and nuts and munchies sitting out, yes? I am for sure.

It's all about noticing how you feel, right? That's the main thing - physically and mentally. Whenever you fall off track, ask yourself if it was worth it. That's what I've been doing cuz my reintro is also a tiny bit off.

The 24 hour yogurt and manchego cheese definitely ok so yay for that. I ate a bunch of almonds yesterday and today (fri/sat) and everything is aok there. If I do cashews next, will buy the raw kind and roast them. Mac nuts already ok.

Now for the "off" bit - it's recital/last class week and weekend for music and I've been handing out Dove chocolates and cookies. Also strawberries and blueberries. So.... the Dove and cookies.... I almost caved and ate a cookie with my students. They're like "healthy oreos" that you find at New Seasons organic grocers. But I didn't! Yaaaay! Instead, I went home and ate one. But just the outer cookie part and scraped off the cream on the inside. One whole cookie is about 5 grams sugar and without the filling, even less. That's how I justified it.

Also had a square of dark Dove choc. yest and a square today.

So I will say I'm reintroing a slight tiny bit of sugar -- will it wake the dragon? Actually, for now it feels as if it satiated the dragon. That one cookie tasted SO sweet and was enough.

I know I said nicht to the sugar. And am going right back to nicht again.

I just fell off the wagon straight into my dragon.

Dark choc, is the one exception i'm making sugar-wise and only when I go camping from June 18 - 21 with friends and only one square a day and NO SMORES!  I might make my own paleo cookies sweetened with xylitol or eurythritol. Or honey. Honey is the one sweetener I can have for SIBO and in small amount. But I don't like the taste of honey sweetened baked goods. And I do like baked goods and would like to treat myself to something while camping. YES to SWYPO! (since that's the only way I'm getting it anyway these days...................) 

I have been eating homemade savory paleo crepes and bread again. Pretty darn yummy. In moderation of course. Today, I'm out of paleo bread and it's in the high 80s so just feel like eating yogurt and salad. I ate a salad yesterday and felt ok. Ate a salad for lunch today as well and feel good so far. Guess I'm reintroing salads as well. :)  I blanched the leaves, both lettuce and kale, for a brief 10-15 seconds to make them more digestible. And fresh radishes from garden are SO GOOD!

Going out now to shop for cheap summer clothes at Red Light.  Stay true to yourself and keep on! xoxob

Still hanging out here! Day 39 of my whole48. I am grateful I get to put off reintro for a while. I really need to anyhow until I am for sure confident in my will power so I don't drop into old bad food habits. I have baked banana bread and german pancakes and cookie bars for my kiddos (not all in one day- over weeks) without being even tempted to touch them, which is a super huge deal to me.

We leave on vacation tomorrow! A few days of traveling, 5 days camping. We are trying to be super prepared. Packed dried fruits (without added sugars and such), nuts, tuna packs, grass fed beef sticks that I ordered on amazon because there are none in stores that are ok for me right now, and some lara bars. I tracked grocery stores along the way as well as fast-casual food places we could eat dinner at while traveling (like café rio and chipotle).

I am feeling pretty great about everything. My husband is on day 27 of his whole30. It is great to see how great he is feeling. He had a community basketball tournament he played in on Saturday, his clothes are fitting better. It is awesome to be feeling better together.

Mrs. Amanda I am in awe that you are taking your family on a road trip and 5 day camping adventure while planning around W30 food requirements.  I struggle to stick with it at home alone, just me and my dog and my cat!!  Perhaps struggle isn't the right word, since I made it through the month without too much difficulty, but my one experience away from home for the weekend showed me how vulnerable I can be.

Epic Fail this past weekend :(  well, maybe not quite epic, but not nearly as good as I'd hoped.  The one thing that is more and more obvious is that I feel not good when I stray too much from W30.  I wouldn't have said I necessarily feel GOOD eating W30 (at least not this last one), but in comparing the May W30 to my lame and failed reintro month so far, I can say that I definitely felt GOOD eating W30.  Since nothing has been in moderation except my very first dairy reintro, I can't really say for sure what's caused the problems and discomfort.  So I'm going back to mostly W30, and will be more systematic about my reintros.  I have been adding one slice of bacon to my breakfast (it is cured with sugar, so technically not compliant).  Today I left my lunch at work thinking I'd have time to come back and eat between appointments, but nope.  So I got a prepared salad from Trader Joe's that was relatively okay.  The cranberries tasted sweet, and the dressing had sugar I'm sure, but all in all, it was an okay substitute. 

I have been so bogged down with other stressful life events that I haven't prepared much in the way of dinners.  Last night I whipped up a tuna salad (tuna, homemade mayo, pickled jalapenos, celery, cilantro) and a salad with balsamic and olive oil, but that will be my lunch tomorrow instead.  I'll have to make something for dinner.  Last night I had sauteed ground veal with onions and jalapenos, with homemade ketchup, steamed broccoli and roasted carrots and beets.  I had a glass of cashew milk too. 

I'm going to try and get over to the farm stand this afternoon, since I don't have much in the way of fresh veggies.  I eat so much quantity with the veggies, that nothing lasts from meal to meal, and I just do not make salads for myself at night.  I can have salad for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner.  Go figure!

Did our group die? I am thinking I may have to hunt out another :( not all of us went on vacation with me I'm sure?

Finished my whole47.

Hubs and I bought coconut aminos and went out for sushi to celebrate. Won't be doing a full reintroduction because we are moving into a paleo lifestyle.

We stayed whole30 compliant the entire campout, traveling and being away from home an entire week. Pretty darn proud of that.

I'm not sure what happened to the group :( it got awfully quiet around here.  I stopped posting because it didn't seem like there was anyone left. I've been on a roller-coaster of sorts.  The most amazing part of this W30 is what I learned about myself and my relationship with food.  Instead of feeling deprived for not having the foods I thought I wanted, I started to notice how they made me feel when I would eat them.  I don't think I gave myself the chance to notice this before.  I feel best when I stick closely to W30 meals.  And don't snack!  So instead of feeling like I'd accomplished a major feat by completing a W30, I am adopting this way of eating - for the most part - because it makes me feel good.  I am still drinking my coffee black - what a surprise!  Sugar is very very bad for me.  I have no brakes whatsoever.  I simply cannot have it in my house.  I haven't been rigid with foods, but have stuck to the broad template, and feel wonderful.  One of my danger zones is not having food prepared - when I get home from work, I take the dog for a walk, and then if nothing is prepared, I tend to graze.  I don't have much patience for making dinner.  If I've got leftovers, then I'm all set and life is good. 

I'm working running back into my life :D YAY!!  I'm sure my appetite will change once I have a routine.  I had another DXA bone density test, and my spine is continuing to degenerate, but my hip density is better than my last scan (2012).  I will be seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks and want to see what his thoughts are about the instability in my L2-L3 region, and poor bone density.  The PA said that running will definitely help increase the density, and becoming more physically active (lifting weights) will also be good. 

Archived