Dealing with nausea due to antibiotics - food recs?

I'm on a course of antibiotics for sinusitis and an ear infection (fun times following the flu - hooray!). One of the side effects is nausea. However, I can still eat, and my digestion seems unchanged - this is really just a side effect and not a serious problem. At the same time, I'm trying to come up with ideas of foods that are, say, bland enough to eat in quantity. Nothing will really alleviate the nausea, though I am taking digestive enzymes with each meal while I'm on the antibiotics. But nothing really makes it worse, either.  It's just there.

So - what easy-to-eat foods would you recommend for the next few days? I'm not on a Whole30 right now but I am specifically looking for compliant foods.

Side note: this is a really annoying issue for someone like me who generally enjoys eating LOTS OF FOOD. Hmph.

• Moderators

I don't have food recommendations, but I note you mention digestive enzymes, but not probiotics. Your antibiotics mess with your gut bacteria, so probiotics would be helpful. I get what I use from Amazon. com and like two different ones. 

I only take Prescript-Assist when I am taking antibiotics: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JB2GOFI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35I1RPZA7JY40&coliid=IME9QY9E5PR25&psc=1

I recently started taking HMF Powder once or twice a day as just a basic good thing to do: http://www.amazon.com/Genestra-HMF-Powder-2-1-oz/dp/B0057ZGPCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433116413&sr=8-1&keywords=HMF+Powder

My wife is on antibiotics right now and I just got her started taking Prescript-Assist recently. She said as a veterinarian, she doubles the dose she gives animals when they are on antibiotics and asked if she could double her Prescript-Assist dose for awhile. I suggested she add HMF powder dissolved in water twice per day to her daily dose of Prescript-Assist and she liked that answer. :)

I was having a funny tummy one morning and I ate a sweet potato with a little coconut milk & pumpkin pie spice, some applesauce, and a couple of poached eggs. Not a template meal, but it was gentle and compliant.

Hope your sinusitis and ear infection clear up quickly!

Tom, thanks for those recommendations, I will look tomorrow to see if I can buy them locally.

Julie, the sweet potato would work for me, definitely, thanks! I'm not into coconut milk at all, and eggs only sometimes - but definitely the sweet potato will work.

Thanks!

• Administrators

What about soups? The silky gingered soup from Well Fed is amazing. I ate that stuff for 2 weeks straight when I was injured last year. If the nausea from the medication got too bad I would put the soup in a mug and sip it gently through a bendy straw, that seemed to help.

I also find that a glass of kombucha settles my stomach like nothing else these days. Nearly instantly. If you're not a regular KT'er, start slowly.

What about soups? The silky gingered soup from Well Fed is amazing. I ate that stuff for 2 weeks straight when I was injured last year. If the nausea from the medication got too bad I would put the soup in a mug and sip it gently through a bendy straw, that seemed to help.

I also find that a glass of kombucha settles my stomach like nothing else these days. Nearly instantly. If you're not a regular KT'er, start slowly.

Thanks - I whirred some broth plus onions and garlic into gravy/sauce/broth for a roast I cooked, and I'm really looking forward to that.

I don't drink kombucha, but I did pick up probiotics at the natural food store today.

And the ear infection seems to be slowly improving, phew!

When all else fails: chicken broth.

When my stomach is upset, I usually don't want foods that require a lot of chewing. Sometimes an apple is okay. Sometimes. Other than that, I don't usually do anything raw. Mashed potatoes (white or sweet) and blended soups are my starting points. Shredded meat is usually more palatable to me than ground. I'm usually not interested in meat the requires a fork and knife and I absolutely can NOT do meat off the bone. I had a food aversion to meat on the bone for years. It's usually an non-issue these days, but I've found that when I'm sick it tends to rear its head again.

Guest Andria

When all else fails: chicken broth.

When my stomach is upset, I usually don't want foods that require a lot of chewing. Sometimes an apple is okay. Sometimes. Other than that, I don't usually do anything raw. Mashed potatoes (white or sweet) and blended soups are my starting points. Shredded meat is usually more palatable to me than ground. I'm usually not interested in meat the requires a fork and knife and I absolutely can NOT do meat off the bone. I had a food aversion to meat on the bone for years. It's usually an non-issue these days, but I've found that when I'm sick it tends to rear its head again.

I don't have anything to add to the convo, except that, Munkers, we must share some DNA as I could have written exactly what you wrote above, all the way down to the aversions!

Thanks everyone! I started on probiotics last night and I feel quite a bit better today already. Sweet potatoes and shredded roast beef have been going down very well, so I'm not suffering on the nutrition side of things.

Next up, I am looking forward to hearing out of my left ear again - ANY TIME, UNIVERSE! ANY TIME!

Archived