Birthday celebration ideas

My husband and I are on day 5 of our first Whole30. So far, we absolutely love it. Towards the end of our 30 days, my husband will celebrate his birthday. I've already come up with ideas for our dinner but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on a dessert-like dish I can serve him. I'm fine with making a nice fruit salad but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Or how about put a candle in a grass fed beef tenderloin?  Or new york strip?  Those are better than dessert to me any day.   :)

One of my issues before finding Whole9 Life was that feeling of needing something sweet after dinner.  Replacing "dessert" with fruit topped with coconut milk would be SWYPO for me.  

I prefer to find joy and celebration in something other than "dessert".

There is a forum post from Melissa Hartwig in which she says the following, so it sounds like it's okay:

As for strawberries with whipped coconut cream and the fruit "pizza" (which is really just a fancy fruit bowl), I'm fine with this as a Whole30 approved food. Should you eat these every night as dessert? Not if you want to change your habits. But if you want to enjoy fruit, or have a special occasion in which you want to serve "dessert," these are perfectly healthy whole food options--and not at all the same as baking some almond-flour brownies.

If you feel like strawberries in coconut cream would send your Sugar Dragon for a ride, abstain... but we don't rule fruit out of the plan just because it's sweet and delicious. Fruit is food--just don't use it to prop up your sugar cravings.

I'm in the non-food celebration corner. Whole30 is about changing up our old habits & developing new ones. How about a pamper session for him of some sort? A blanket on the lawn & a quick session of star gazing... A candle lit bath with some chilled music - men like these kind of things too...

Yes, there are "dessert" options for the Whole30; however, this is one of those times that it's just as important to look at the spirit of your decision as it is to look at whether or not the ingredients are compliant. Whole30 is also about challenging your current relationship with food. There's nothing inherently wrong about using food to celebrate a special occasion, but what is it that's leading you to those specific decisions? More directly, does not having dessert make this any less of a special occasion?

Since you're still early in your Whole30 and his birthday isn't until closer to the end, I would suggest forgetting about "dessert" for now. Keep following the program, and then reassess how you both feel. You may find that it's a non-issue once the time actually comes. His dinner will still be special because someone who loves him took the time to plan and prep it for him.

My birthday is next Monday and I plan to just go about my day like normal....my son's birthday is in July after my re-intro period so I will enjoy some cake guilt free at that event. Making it through my whole30 is present enough to myself because I DESERVE to be healthier and free of bad food relationships. If anything I may have a steak that day or a bit extra fruit :)

LOL loved Tom's response, our family's birthdays are one month after the next so if we have cake for every birthday in our house (which we have done in years past!) that means a cake in the house from April through July! And then you know we are rolling into labor day weekend and then the holidays and then it starts all over again! We have already cut back this year (pre-whole30 for me) to where we get the kids cake still but smaller than we have gotten in the past (so no leftovers!). Although I still love the Betty Crocker tradition of cake for a birthday I agree that is not what it needs to be solely about! 

Balance in all things!

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for this post! (And the link to Tom's comment)
It's my DF's birthday on Friday and it took a lot to get him to do the Whole30 with me. I want to keep his birthday special. 
I'm even thinking of Perrier water with some berries, instead of wine/champagne. I remember doing this when we were kids, so that we didn't feel left out during celebrations. :)

Archived