newbie questions about portions

maddieaddie

Hi All,

I am starting my Whole30 today (actually Whole50 - it's 50 days until the beach trip!). I am working from a nutrition guide supplied by Whole9 and Durham Crossfit, but I have still a few questions about portions. Is meat measured cooked or raw? I like ground beef, for example, which can cook down a bit. I like burgers in particular, and our burgers come from the farm in frozen 1/3 lb. patties. Does that sound too big? Raw they are bigger than my hand, but cooked they are pretty close. It may sound like an insignificant detail, but I have found weight loss on unweighed, unmeasured paleo to be IMPOSSIBLE... and I'm nervous that this plan represents an increase in calories for me.

Thanks for advice,

maddieaddie

I'm reluctant to respond b/c this isn't exactly the Whole 30 answer but I'll give you my perspective as someone who still has a long way to go and a lot to learn.

When i started I was sure to eat foods that were Whole 30 compliant w/o any concern for portion sizes. Worrying about too much at once, especially portion sizes seemed too daunting for me. However, after a successful Whole 30 in January and sticking to about 90% paleo (most days are Whole 30 compliant) I find that my portion sizes are, very naturally, getting closer and closer to recommened sizes.

Whole 30 and paleo has, thus far, been such a wonderful experience that I hate the idea of anyone being nervous about any of it. Eat the rights foods and do what feels right. This is how I've lost 28 lbs since New Year's, feel incredibly healthier, and as a runner/triathlete have had nothing but personal course records and personal records in all of my races thus far this year.

Maddieaddie,

First of all, I hear ya completely on "I have found weight loss on unweighed, unmeasured paleo to be IMPOSSIBLE"...because that can certainly become a problem for some people. Your patty portion sounds about right. Most nutrition advice on portion sizes is based on cooked meat. I hate to throw this card on you but you need to listen to you body. If you are hungry only a hour or two after your meals, then that is a good sign that you need to increase your portion sizes. If you stay full for hours and into the next meal, than take it down a little.

I'm assuming you are trying to lean out but depending on how much you have to lose (if you should at all) will determine a lot of this.

"Its better to eat the wrong food with the right attitude, than the right food with the wrong attitude." - Chris Kresser

thanks Jay and Megan! I'm hoping to lose 30 lb, but I would be fine with 20 if I could gain some muscle. I like the "rule of thumb" guidelines from Whole9.

My hunger has never been a good guide for me, as I like to eat ungodly amounts of food, but have a basal metabolic rate of like 42 calories ;-) All in all, I'd say I have some pretty good post-apocalyptic genetics, but they're not so good for the current obesogenic environment.

Maddieaddie - your sense of humor is quality! Kudos to you for wanting to add some muscle with the weight loss. Talk about good adjustment to the body composition. To drop 30 pounds the right way, consistency is the name of the game.

As mush as I would like to eat paleo with out bounds... I find that it's can be way to easy to overeat skirt steak and guacamole. I'm not a huge fan of calorie counting but cronometer.com is one the best food trackers I have seen online. Every few days or so I track my food intake to get an idea of what and how much I'm taking in. Its a good way to keep you focused on your goals and know you are headed in the right direction.

Remember you only need a slight caloric defecit to lose weight. Too much calorie restriction and your body goes into survivial mode and will hold on to every last ounce of fat to survive. Keep protein relatively high (we want to keep and build muscle) , carbs mostly from veggies (on days you workout throw in a sweet potato), added fat only as needed.

You got this!

Hey there!! It's refreshing to read that I am not alone in portion size. When I started paleo a while back I lost 10 pounds of fat and gained 12 pounds of muscle [ still have much more fat to shed]. The last 6-7 months I am at a stand still. My body refuses to budge. So, I'm thinking its probably time for me to monitor exactly how much PALEO good food I'm consuming. My strength has hit a plateau as well. I'm totally happy with what I have achieved, however, I'm ready to make another milestone.

Thanks for sharing the cronometer. Totally going to check that out and see exactly how much I'm eating :)

Good luck to all!!

Maddieaddie—I am a volume eater too! Think vegetables.... that's where the volume and the good full feeling come from (with fat and protein in reasonable portions, of course).

I've misquoted this person before (I think it's Johnny I'm uncertainly crediting), but someone on this board said "If I'm not willing to eat a vegetable, then I'm not really hungry). That is SO TRUE for me... with every portion I take!

Archived