Got my first "Whole30 is Stupid" facebook message

So, I started my 3rd Whole30 today and this was the first time I actually shared anything to social media, because I was always afraid of the posibility/inevitability that someone would need to share their opinion. Sure enough, within 24 hours I got a message from a girl I know who went to school for Nutrition. She went into how Whole30 only has one real nutritionist backing it and that it's absolutely ridiculous to cut out grains because "your body loves carbs," and once I got back to eating "normal" my body won't recognize these foods and store them automatically as fat. I understand it's hard for a lot (or most) nutritionists to back programs like these because they see them as a "fad" or "lose weight quick" business scheme and because it goes against a lot of what they just learned in class but still frustrating ... I've seen nutrionists in the past who just preach "everything in moderation" without understanding that I have an addiction to some of these foods (especially sugar! ah!) and asking me to eat everything in moderation is like asking a person addicted to smoking to just smoke in moderation.

Mostly, I'm posting this because I'm frustrated (gotta love getting this message on Day 1 of your Whole30 Challenge) and to ask how others have handled these situations. Any advice or support would be very much appreciated!

I'm just going to put my head down and read my new Whole30 book (that I finally bought yesterday!) and trudge forward!

Thanks!

• Administrators

Yikes, that sucks!  There is never, ever going to be anything wrong with eating protein, vegetables and fats.  Nothing. Ever.  Grains (carbs), dairy, sugar, etc. can be so problematic for so many people and the only way to determine if they affect you is to cut them out for 30 days and then reintroduce them.  Perhaps you could hit it from that angle if you really want to reply back to her.

Hi there laurlew

Forget about convincing others they will always comment I stay away from social media except

I m here on the forum

I found it better to keep it simple and focus on yourself that's why you are here You may want to not tell anyone else just run things by here

Poke around the forum you'll get help here

All I know that it's helped me and others here tremendously when nothing else works

You'll get all the support Real answers lots of links

It will be fine :)

I've also started again Day 1 so good luck!

I often find that the people who make these kind of brash statements are the ones who have no self control and are trying to justify their own poor choices.

If you friend has gone to school for Nutrition she should know that just as not all calories are created equal, neither are all carbs. Yes, our bodies love carbs, but they do not love them when they come from sources that cause digestive distress, bloating, inflammation, fatigue and all sorts of other symptoms. By ridding your body of all these inflammatory foods you get to learn what you can & can't eat without symptoms at the end of the thirty days. What can be stupid about that?

I'd keep on doing what you're doing - keeping your head down, reading the book, & ploughing on for better health - as someone currently studying nutrition I'm well aware that a lot of the curriculum teachings are about 10yrs out of date & the tutors are only now starting to admit it - she'll catch up with you eventually!

Unfortunately, this is the current education and mindset of our medical professionals and the American population in general. My physician, and my daughters' pediatrician still lecture us on low-fat, and the importance of dairy and whole grains (never mind that my doc is at least 80# overweight... I've managed to NOT point out to her that her diet of choice apparently isn't working so well). It's what they believe because it's what they were taught, and it's the overwhelming belief in our country today- just look at the USDA's food pyramid! You're not going to change their minds any more than they're going to change yours. It's unfortunate that some people feel like they need to give out unsolicited advice, but hopefully she meant no harm. It's never worth getting into a debate with someone over it; no one wins. Do your thing for yourself, educate and support those who want to know more, and don't worry about those who disagree.

Congrats on starting your third whole30! I finished up my one and only about 4 months ago, and just can't seem to summon the will to get through another.

Thanks everybody!

She's actually a long time family friend and she was as nice as she could be when tearing down this program, and offered to meet with me to set up a plan which was nice and appreciated but it still irked me because I wasn't really asking for anyones opinion, lol.

Ladyshanny - I actually did reply to her (because I have no self control apparently) but I was very nice and explained why this all works for me and that the last time I did it I realized dairy and me do not get along! If I hadn't done the Whole30 I would never have realized that!

MeGa "gardener" - I usually try and avoid telling anyone what I'm doing or my opinion especially if it's controversial. I recently decided to start a blog focusing on life improvements (everything from DIY to Food). Since I have had great success with the Whole30 I wanted to talk about it on my blog as a tool that people can use (and decide for themself if it's something they want to try) because it really helped me so this is why I bit the bullet and posted it to social media. I guess I should just look at this as a test run of all the fun feedback/opinions I'll get once I publish a blog post on it! haha!

Jmcbn - I agree with you about people who normally make comments are those who have no control. I don't think she falls into that category but she has never had a problem with food or health or weight. I feel like people who have never had problems in these areas have a hard time understanding those who do have problems with them. It's interesting that you are also studying nutrition and have a completely different opinion on things! Thanks for your response!

MTNan - I totally agree! It's a common mindset in this country (My mom's a nurse so I hear some of it from her as well). I think she only responded out of the desire to help me buuut it still frustrated me a bit! haha! I responded to her nicely describing why I choose the Whole30 but I'm going to leave it at that! My second Whole30 was a struggle! I don't even know if I should count it to be honest because I'm sure I ate something I shouldn't have without realizing it - I just wasn't into it at all! I finally got up the energy to do another really good one! My first Whole30 was amazing and I felt awesome and then we moved to a new house and I fell back into ordering delivery and Halloween candy so this time I'm determined to do an awesome Whole30 that will really lead me to the lifestyle change I need and felt I could do when I finished my first Whole30.

I so understand. Today is my Day 1 and I posted on Facebook. I work for a pathology group and within 30 min of their arrival at work, I had one of the doctors in here telling me I should "beware these fad diets" and that "after the 30 days you go back to eating what you used to and gain it all back".

SIGH. I'm not in this for weight loss. Yes, I know, at 252 pounds I probably SHOULD be...but I'm in it to heal my eczema, gut problems, etc.

Grains were killing me. When I ate grains, my arthritis was so bad I begged for some kind of arthritis pain med. The doctor said "you're too young...if we start you on it now, it will eventually stop working and you won't have any relief". Now, three months after quitting grains - I have ZERO arthritis pain. Before I could not lay on my left side at night due to pain in my hip/shoulder, my knees ached from the minute I got up and I couldn't take the stairs at all.

"Conventional wisdom" = not all that wise if you ask me!

All I would say, if anything, because is she really worth the bother? is that you'll be eating plenty of carbs like sweet potatoes, beets, butternut squash as well as a little fruit so she needn't be worried about your health on the Whole30!

Yes! This is such a pet peeve of mine. Fruit, squashes and root vegetables of all kinds are carbs, people! So are non-starchy vegetables, for that matter. If you're eating 1-3 cups of veggies three or more times a day, you're all set for carbs.

Archived