ideas for upping intake without upping protein

minimalistmom

I'm in the middle of a Whole30 and I'm almost 5 months pregnant.

Per ISWF I am keeping my protein content to 20% of calories during pregnancy. I've been tracking meals just to make sure I am getting it right. My husband is doing the Whole30 and our meals are usually about 30% of calories from protein.

To get the right balance for pregnancy I've reduced my protein portions and added in more fats with avocados and macadamia nuts. I also have sweet potatoes every other day.

I'm struggling to hit that 20% balance of protein without eating a lot of fruit. At the moment I have 1/2 avocado, usually 1/4 cup mac nuts, maybe some coconut flakes and 2-3 servings of fruit to hit the balance.

I'd like to reduce my fruit consumption but I don't think I can handle more than one sweet potato every other day. I eat about 2000 calories a day.

Anyone have ideas for me? I feel like 1/2 avocado + nuts plus ghee and coconut oil in cooking every day is lots of good fat but should I have more to get the calories in?

PS. I eat A LOT of vegetables. But there just isn't a lot of calories in them.

• Moderators

You could make a salad, add your avocado and nuts, and then even more fat with a generous homemade dressing of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The salad pictured here includes a little roast beef and roasted beets (all cold).

post-6-0-64020000-1346765021_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a hubby doing Paleo for the first time who's kind of a picky eater and I had the same question for him. He doesn't like avocados or sweet potatoes and so I'm trying to find other foods to keep him full. Imagine he won't do coconut milk either...

Could you have a smoothie made with coconut milk to accompany your meals? You wouldn't need to add much fruit to make it tasty. Can you find a bottled mayo without sugar/starch - I know the raw eggs in homemade mayo will rule it out.

Coconut butter is hard to find in the UK but it is really good on sweet potatoes or on fruit.

Archived