Sticker shock - feeling discouraged. HELP!

As someone who has struggled with stubborn weight (and some minor health issues as a result) for the last 7 years, I've been hearing about the Whole30 program and its benefits, so a couple of weeks ago I bought the book. I've spent the last two weeks reading the book cover-to-cover, planning, prepping my kitchen, and mentally preparing myself for this lifestyle change. Last night, I cleaned out my cabinets and refrigerator, got rid of ALL foods and condiments that are not Whole30 approved, and I made a grocery list based on the 7-day Meal Plan provided in the book. My official start date is tomorrow (June 2).

This morning, though, I went to the store (storeS, actually), to purchase my items for my first week of eating on Whole30. First of all, between the three stores I shopped at (Costco, Trader Joe's, and Publix), I spent about $300...for a WEEK's worth of groceries! Second, I felt really discouraged by how difficult some of the items were to find! Some items I couldn't find at all, and others I would find, but they would inevitably contain an ingredient that is not Whole30 approved (I can't believe how many "healthy" items contain sulfites, honey, or some form of sugar or dairy!).

At any rate, I've been so excited to start Whole30, but now I'm discouraged because, as a single Mom of two little girls, I do not have the budget to be spending $300/week in groceries. In fairness, some of the items I purchased are items I won't need to purchase every week. But still, I have serious sticker shock over how expensive some of these products are!

Does this get cheaper once you've stocked up on essentials? And does navigating the grocery store ever get easier?

You are right that the first shopping trip can be eye opening on multiple levels.  And yes, many of the items you purchased are pantry staples that you'll have for a while.

It's not necessary to break the bank to complete a Whole30. We've had success stories of people completing the Whole30 on a social security budget, for example.

You might find this article particularly helpful.  Also, find ways to cook in bulk, and to not cook at every meal.  My favorite cheap lunches are leftovers, and chicken or salmon salad made with homemade mayo and celery, with a baked sweet potato on the side.  Pretty soon, when tomatoes are in season, I'll be making gazpacho and I'll have that with sardines and sliced avocado for my lunch.

• Moderators

Great resources, GFChris.

It does get easier navigating the aisles. That first trip is a real eye opener. I may have been heard to utter unprintable words on my first couple of trips to shop for my first W30. :wub:

My favorite budget-stretchers are crockpot roasts. They make a lot of food.

One other way to think about your Whole30 is to wrap your head around why it is that foods that hardly qualify as such are being subsidized. As a society, we spend less of our total budgets on food than ever before in history. Now, we spend that money on cable tv, subscriptions, shopping as therapy, etc. Interesting things to mull over!

ultrarunnergirl makes a great point... "engineered" food is subsidized by our tax dollars, but natural, whole, healthy food is not. There was a food scientist on NPR the other day who was saying that factory farms are deliberately breeding the flavor OUT of whole foods, while chemically enhancing the flavor in processed foods so that our brains tell us that the processed stuff tastes infinitely better.  The result is predictable... especially when we are enticed by the lower price of the processed junk.

I've only made a couple of W30 shopping trips, as my wife and I are at the start of our journey.  But when I looked around Whole Foods and my regular supermarket, I discovered a couple of things.  First, as you observe ladyseminolelaw, it's hard to find any prepared foods that don't contain at least one non-compliant ingredient (and it seems like 90% of the time it's sugar).  Then when you do find something prepared that follows the rules, it's crazy expensive.

My solution was to stick to my usual choices in meat, fish, veggies and fruit, so no big increase in cost there.  I generally avoid compliant prepared foods, cuz I think the people who make these things see us coming and figure we have money burning a hole in our pockets.  A couple of things I wouldn't compromise on (I got some really good butter from pastured cows for my ghee).  And then I remembered how much I would be saving by not buying fancy cheeses and wines (these are my weaknesses!), and that relieved a lot of the sting.

Here's a great article if you haven't read it yet on THE PERFECT WHOLE30.  Bottom line is, you shouldn't have to break the bank to do this.  As the RULES VS RECOMMENDATIONS  article states, "No, you don’t have to buy almonds shelled by Spanish virgins and roasted in unicorn fat to be Whole30 compliant."

:D

I still spend a lot more on meats, veggies, and produce than I did pre-W30, but that's a good thing.  We're finding that we eat out a lot less because we like our own food better, we're buying less junk food...so even though one bill has gone UP, other bills have gone down.  My family is also healthier, so that alone makes the expense worth it.  If I have meat and veggies prepped in the refrigerator and fresh fruit on the counter, then the teenagers will group protein and vegs or protein and fruit for a snack.  No more processed junk.

As for shopping getting easier...of course it will!  Anything new is harder.  You'll find your favorite sources for favorite foods, you'll figure out what you don't particularly like, etc.  For example, I like a particular olive oil in my local grocery store...I just watch for it to go on sale and when it does, stock up 3 or 4 bottles of it.  I found Thai Kitchen coconut milk (usually $3.90 to $4.70/can) on Amazon for ~$2/can. 

My solution was to stick to my usual choices in meat, fish, veggies and fruit, so no big increase in cost there.  I generally avoid compliant prepared foods, cuz I think the people who make these things see us coming and figure we have money burning a hole in our pockets.  A couple of things I wouldn't compromise on (I got some really good butter from pastured cows for my ghee).  And then I remembered how much I would be saving by not buying fancy cheeses and wines (these are my weaknesses!), and that relieved a lot of the sting.

Ditto.  You don't have to buy all of the exotic extras.  I don't.  I have a freezer full of meat and fish.  I only have to buy vege and good fats.  Think of what you're saving by not whipping through the drive-thru's, buying pizzas, daily lattes, frozen yogurts and take out.

We buy our bulk items at Costco-- veggies, bags of onions and potatoes, eggs, butter for ghee, olive oil, both Extra Virgin and Extra Light (for mayo) and avocado oil. When I was purchasing nuts, that is where I would get them, not anymore though! I use that money to purchase the olive oils, or coconut oil, olives, water packed artichoke hearts.... MEAT!! I buy the larger pieces and break them down myself and save $$$ by the pound. I buy whole pork loins and cut them into roasts and chops. A whole pork shoulder (25 lbs +), split into 5 pieces at home and frozen, chicken whole and parts. Ground beef and some spices. 

I hit our local market for produce that Costco doesn't carry (green onions, zucchini, radishes--that kind of stuff), some organic spices, and items to round out recipes, canned goods. 

Yes, that first shop can be a killer, but it does get easier! I have a budget for $400 a month for groceries for myself, husband (who eats a lot!) and 4 year old son. I get 200 at the first of the month, and the other 200 mid way. I can't always get everything I want to pick up, but I have come down to a pretty standard list for Costco and we do a bunch of soups, stews, roasts, I make my own bone broth. We rarely if ever eat out, and I pack a lunch and breakfast for hubby every day. It does seem like a lot of money, but when you stop eating out and buying prepared and processed foods, your food dollar does seem to go further. At least for us it does. 

I felt the same way when I did my first few shops (also a single mom)....it does get better though. You'll get to know the products that are compliant and can watch for sales. We've been eating a lot of eggs simply because they are a bit cheaper. Overall, the grocery bill has leveled out....it may be $20 or so more every week. That being said, the amount of junk food that's coming into the house for the kids (haven't been able to get them completely on board yet) has decreased.  Now that it's growing season here, I'm planning to buy lots of in season veggies and fruits and freeze them. I'm hoping that will help lower the bill as well.

ultrarunnergirl makes a great point... "engineered" food is subsidized by our tax dollars, but natural, whole, healthy food is not. There was a food scientist on NPR the other day who was saying that factory farms are deliberately breeding the flavor OUT of whole foods, while chemically enhancing the flavor in processed foods so that our brains tell us that the processed stuff tastes infinitely better.  The result is predictable... especially when we are enticed by the lower price of the processed junk.

This is extremely disturbing.  Makes me want to move to the UK or some place where many of our frankenfoods are banned.

Hey there ladyseminolelaw

I'm telling you that's a bit much to spend

I know what we consume in this household and I probably spend double

However if you W30 in a simple manner

Start with the foods you enjoy and use frequently

Fresh veggies potatoes greens aren't too expensive

Chicken pork beef etc should be purchased in large quantities mostly catch sales 6 weeks they rotate usually

So say you try 3 proteins this week

If you have extra either cook it all or freeze it split

It up sauté or roast extra large amounts of veggies 6/10 potatoes etc

That way you won't be overspending

Tip: when I get home I grab glass bowls baking dishes pie plate whatever and mix seasonings

Marinades place my meat chicken or pork

Rub it etc salt 3/4tsp per pound and store in fridge

It's ready when you are

Or have a big cook up if you have the time/energy

Don't purchase items condiments or stuff you'll not use Don't try every recipe or buy special things just yet take your time

Good luck

Could you post a rundown of what you purchased? You're right that that is quite a lot to spend for only a week of groceries. I feed my husband and myself on about $150 per week. Now, granted, we live in area where cost of living is slightly less than the national median, but I can't imagine that another area would be literally double our current location.

The grocery shopping got a lot less frustrating and time-consuming for me over the course of my Whole30. That first shopping trip (I went to four stores!) is just crazy because you have no idea which store will have what, or which brands will be compliant. That part will definitely get easier.

I, too, experienced sticker shock when I added up my receipts. I've been eating much more meat than usual, which can get expensive, and things like coconut milk are certainly more pricey than regular milk. And some of the things I was used to buying that aren't part of a Whole30 are real budget stretchers, like pasta and beans. During the process I let myself buy things to make it more convenient that just can't become staples for us in the long run. (Applegate Roast Beef, I'm looking at you!) 

That being said, there are Whole30 foods that are more affordable - ground beef, chicken thighs, eggs, white potatoes, some brands of tuna fish, turkey sausage, tilapia, frozen vegetables, applesauce, bananas, etc. As I start to transition from Whole30 to everyday eating, I am going to be looking at how to make it more affordable.

"No, you don’t have to buy almonds shelled by Spanish virgins and roasted in unicorn fat to be Whole30 compliant."

That cracked me up!  I so need that laugh today!   :lol:

I'm new to this too, started last Friday), and yeah... sticker shock a bit, but I have to stick within a budget and can't go over, so I couldn't get everything I wanted in this shopping trip.  Since I couldn't get everything, it's making me feel a little out of sorts, like I'm trying to do this without enough food.  LOL  I too picked up some staples that you don't buy in every trip, (spices, oil, food containers to take to work, baggies, etc), so that will help next time around.  

We can do this!!!!!!!    :D

• 2 weeks later...

Your oils and whatnot are going to hike that grocery bill up, but you're right: you won't be buying those every time.

I assume you're shopping for specific recipes, and although it's exciting to see new ones and want to run right out and try them, I think if you're having a hard time fitting everything in your budget you should save all those recipes for when you're bored with your stand-by's and NEED to try something else. In the meantime, just stick to the meal template and watch for sales. Protein and veg shouldn't break the bank on their own!

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading this posts and all the tips. We are a single income family (mostly, I earn a meager amount a few hours per week) with three children, so I also used less expensive grains, legumes, canned beans to save money. However, now that my husband and are are doing the Whole30, we won't be eating out much at all as it's easier to stay compliant at home. And a lot of our extra money was spent eating out way too much. Except I made the mistake of trying a Cafe Americano at Starbucks (yum), but hey, it's half the price of my old caramel macchiato!

I have spent at least 350.00 this week and in the week prior getting ready for this.  I even paid 17.00 for one chicken at Whole Foods.  I don't plan to keep this up.  I found natural chickens at HEB for 6.88.  We ,my daughter and myself, plan to spend about 100.00 a week.  I don't plan to eat out at all this month and that will save money.

I agree, it's easy to get carried away trying all the new recipies and such. I spent a bit more the first shopping trip to stock up on a few things (oils/coconut aminos/spices) but since then it hasn't been too bad. Not buying processed/convenience food saves enough to make up for what I spend more on. Also, while all the new recipes are tantalizing, I made a deal with myself: Only one or two new recipes a week. After all, we aren't changing everything about the way we ate before, just cutting out the crap. I mean, we've always eaten meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and fruit. And we've always tried to get the best quality we could afford. That hasn't changed.

I've always done whole30 without raising our ridiculously low budget...and food here is expensive! I don't often make new recipes...I adapted ones I've always used (my mothers chili, burgers, roast chicken, lasagna with courgettes, curries with caulirice or veg and so on). That way I don't have to rush out and buy heaps of new ingredients I may never use again. I live cooking though so that does help.

One thing I do is shop every couple of days because I find planning for a week in advance demoralising...I love food and have no idea what I want to eat tomorrow never mind friday. If I cook loads ahead a lot gets wasted. I will cook a big pot of chili or a whole chicken but that's as far as planning goes!

Most definitely some of the pantry staples are pricier such as the coconut oil and ghee but if you stick to basics elsewhere such as your meat, veg, and fruit it really can end up being more cost effective (I have found since I am buying less impulse stuff like the newest frozen family meal or newest snack foods etc...) I am finding I spend a little more on meat since I am seeking out steak and pork roasts that I didn't buy before as well as higher quality eggs but overall I think our food budget is going down! 

Once you find what works for you you will learn the different tricks as stated above such as stocking up on a favorite olive oil or cans of olives (my healthy fat choice almost always!). I try to also limit how many new recipes I try in a week as that tends to get pricey if you are having to run out for all these ingredients you don't normally use. 

I was looking at my last run to Costco, and we spent $110 for 2 weeks -- Water pack artichokes, avocado oil, power greens, mixed bell peppers (6), 10lbs onions, 2 large fryers, 5 doz eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, hothouse cucumbers (3), grape tomatoes, blueberries, crimini mushrooms, 10 lbs red skin potatoes, grapes, mozzarella cheese and whipping cream-- those last 3 were for hubby and our son. I spent another $40 at our local market for things that Costco doesn't carry -- curry powder, green onions, zucchini, a red onion, 2 green bell peppers, london broil and toiletries. We did have hamburger in the freezer as well as a pork loin that we had bought the time before and cut into a roast and chops, and I had tuna in the pantry. This was a leaner shopping than usual, but it can be done! I usually have around 200, and when I do, what is when I buy more meat and portion it out, for just in case we have a leaner period (hubby is a trucker so paychecks can fluctuate). 

Archived