Leah's first Whole30

ladalton

So I stumbled across Whole30 about a month ago when I was inspired by a friend and coworker to do something different.  She has tried several ways to get healthy - she's a cross-fitter, has done paleo, and is currently working with a nutritionist.  So, I went to the wonder webz and found Whole30.  I am a research junkie, so I read every word of the website, and my friend informed me that she had the first book for me to borrow.  Also the first Well Fed book from the fabulous Melissa Joulwan.

I was intrigued!  I gobbled up the information (pun intended) and couldn't wait to get started.  However, with several social/party events planned for May, I opted to wait until June 1 to start my official Whole30.  So, I have been easing my way into it as I have purged by fridge and pantry of non-compliant items.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this food!  I was raised by hippie parents who had gardens and chickens, and we always had friends with goats or hogs, so I really was raised with a healthy food base.  I have always loved real, fresh meat and veg, so this is not a difficult world for me to live in at all.

So, Day One I had:

Meal 1 - Fried egg, grilled chicken, purple cabbage slaw (dressed with coconut milk, coconut aminos, sesame oil, and a touch of red curry paste)

Meal 2 - salmon cakes, cauliflower fried rice, side salad, celery sticks and almond butter as a snack

Meal 3 - (Food Trucks at my church - what a wonderful way to start the 30!) from Beast Food Truck - Paleo chorizo tacos with a side of sauteed zucchini & yellow squash, kale/cabbage slaw, and salsa - Thank you, Gwen, for knowing about Whole30!

I have found that drinking soda water/seltzer water and lime when I'm in social situations helps alleviate any desire I might have for a beer or a glass of wine.  

On to Day Two...

Day Two

I haven't experienced any negatives yet, but I am sure that will happen at some point.  Since I was eating a good portion Whole30 for about two weeks before my official start date, I haven't experienced some of the issues mentioned in the daily emails. I wonder if that means about mid-way through this I will turn into a stark-raving lunatic?  We shall see!

My meals for Day Two:

Meal 1 - Fried egg, homemade breakfast sausage, cucumber & baba ganoush, fresh tomato

Meal 2 - Zucchini pasta with marinara, more homemade sausage, sweet potato with ghee, blueberries & coconut milk

Meal 3 - (my fave) A deconstructed salad of tuna drizzled with red chimichurri, cucumber, snap peas, red bell pepper, baba ganoush, carrots, and pistachios

Waiting to see what Day Three holds...

Day Three

Still doing well with the food.  I love food!  Now, to get back to exercising regularly... I've gotten off track with moving into a new house, and my mother being ill last year.

I also adjusted my meal 1 timing after reading numerous posts.  I had been drinking my morning coffee while getting ready each morning, then eating meal 1 at work (about 2 1/2 hours after waking).  Big no-no.  So, on day three, I woke up, showered, ate breakfast and coffee, and then got ready for work.  Didn't seem to be a problem with me getting hungry too early in the day - which had always been the case in the past.

Meals for Day Three:

Meal 1 - Hmong breakfast sausages, sauteed mushroom and kale

Meal 2- Ground bison taco salad with avocado and homemade chimichurri ranch dressing

Pre WO - handful of nuts

Post WO - half tin of salmon with a squeeze of lime, and half a sweet potato

Meal 3 - Grilled turkey Italian sausage with marinara, sauteed cauliflower, red bell pepper, zucchini, onion

Yum!

Day Four

So far, I have not had any major side effects such as grogginess or hunger or any of that. I attribute it to the fact that I accidentally eased into it, rather than going "cold turkey."  At any rate, with summer veggies and grilling season here, this is the perfect time to do Whole30!  How did I get so lucky?

I ran again today, and it is getting pretty warm.  Not sure how much longer I can keep this up outside.  May have to move it indoors pretty soon.  I don't do summer outdoor running - too much humidity!

Meals for Day Four:

Meal 1 - Hmong breakfast sausages, sweet potato hash seasoned with ras el hanout (YUM!)

Meal 2 - leftovers from yesterday - Grilled turkey Italian sausage with marinara, sauteed cauliflower, red bell pepper, zucchini, onion

Pre WO - handful of nuts

Post WO - half tin of salmon with a squeeze of lime, and half a sweet potato

Meal 3 - Grilled chicken with chimichurri ranch, grilled veggies (asparagus, zucchini, and spring onion)

I love to grill, so this is the perfect time of year for me to eat healthy...

Catching up from the weekend...

I seem to be sleeping better. Waking up a half hour earlier without a struggle.  Partly so that I can fit in breakfast each morning within an hour of waking up.  No trouble staying compliant over the weekend.  I did yard work on Friday evening, so I stayed in for the night.  On Saturday, I had a couple friends over and grilled everything in sight... chicken, sausages, asparagus, zucchini... YUM! Friends had wine and I had my lovely sparkling water with lime.

Last night, our women's group from church went out to eat at a small local cafe.  I thought I was being safe when I explained to the cashier/server that I couldn't do sugar or dairy.  I brought my own salad dressing and had a mixed green salad with chicken breast on it.  He tried to sneak in some candied walnuts, but I picked them off after I saw what he was up to.  It was also too small to count as a meal, so I had some leftover red curry veggies and spicy ground pork that I had when I returned home. That hit the spot!

Today (Day Nine), I successfully fended off food trucks at work, and a coworker bringing in a bunch of sweet treats from Phoenix. I count that as a major win.

I've had so many grilled leftovers, it makes meal prep easy.  It's kinda like Melissa Joulwan's weekly cook up, only mine is on the grill..

Meals for Day Nine:

Meal 1 - 3 scrambled eggs, sauteed red cabbage and zephyr squash, baba ganoush

Meal 2 - Grilled chicken breast, 1/2 large sweet potato with lemony mayo, salad

Meal 3 - I am thinking about trying Green Pork & Shiitake Sliders (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/13059662822/green-pork-shiitake-sliders) and perhaps some more sauteed cabbage or Brussels sprouts...

Archived