Day 4 - Dehydrated and night-peeing

I am on Day 4 of my first Whole30. I've switched to only drinking water, and one of my coping mechanisms for all these changes has been to have some water whenever I start getting the munchies.

For the last two nights, I'm waking up at night to go pee almost as much as I was when I was pregnant! And despite my increased water intake, I'm feeling dehydrated - dry lips, eyes, throat...

What's up? Any insight?

Hi there. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the increased fat consumption (especially if you're transitioning from a diet where you weren't eating very much fat, as I was). I had a very low-fat diet before the Whole30 and just could not drink enough water my first week. Lots of getting up in the middle of the night to pee and drink even MORE water. I'm on Day 17 now, and the getting up in the middle of the night has mostly subsided, but I would say that I'm consuming more fluids overall since shifting my eating habits.

It could also be an increase in salt consumption, but I find that less likely since you're making everything yourself. How much salt do you add to your food?

@Snappy - I don't really add much salt at all. Compared to the amount I was getting before from processed food and eating out, I'd imagine my intake is pretty darn low. But the fat intake is an interesting thought. I wasn't on a specifically low-fat diet or anything, but I have never been much of one to chow down on a whole avocado before Whole30...

@Sunshine - I might have to try that!

Archived